U2 vrs. Eagles tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure I could get into the Eagles in the right mood and have nothing against Henley or the concept. That said, it's kind of an insult to compare Eagles to U2. If you had told me this comparison would be made in 2005 back in my mid 80s U2 mania, I would have gone ballistic. The only people I compared to U2 then were other people on the same socio-spiritual wave-length: Waterboys, Alarm, Big Country, Simple Minds, and so on
love, Anu

The Eagles haven't been relevant since about the time U2 was putting out their first album. The craptacular "Get Over It" killed any lingering fondness I had for them.

I can't believe this thread is for real. :|

I paid $100 for subpar seats to see the Eagles two years ago, thinking it might be a fun summer show with a friend, and it was absolutely horrible. The band absolutely hates one another--you can tell. Don Henley's microphone was so much louder than everyone else's, and he definitely can't hit high notes anymore. You could hear the poor man's testicles screaming for help. Glenn Frey was trying so obviously hard to act cool that he was embarrassing in the way your best friend's dad was embarrassing when you were 13 and he was trying to seem "cool." The show was atrocious--probably the worse I've ever seen.

I can't believe anyone is actually comparing these two bands. U2 love their fans, their music, and each other. They're not doing their "Farewell part 412" tour--they're still making new music, and what they're making is damn good. Have you heard any new Eagles songs lately? :yuck:

Yes Hotel California is one of the biggest albums of all time .. I can't dispute the record sales. But I really believe they are the most over-rated band in history.

They are NOT in the same class as The Bealtes, Stones, Who, Zepplin, or for that matter U2. Their American counterparts such as Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin,Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The BeachBoys and The Band were light years ahead of whatever the Eagles produced.

The Eagles are the poster child for bored white american males in their 50s.

Last edited:
quote from cardosino:

U2 is playing about 30% new material in their live shows, they have kept the same linup their whole career, they don't have a plethora of backing musicians

Guess I've been to different Eagles shows than you... hmmmm.

All that I've ever seen was the current members (Henley; Frey; Walsh; Schmit). Then they guitarist Steuart Smith. He actually a replacement for LONG TIME Eagles member Don Felder (who was kicked out of the band over questions of what the band actually makes $$$) and plays the double-necked guitar for "Hotel California". So he's basically for on the road guitarist but is nearly now considered by the other Eagles members as part of the band now than just some "backing musician..."

Then a horn section (sax, etc.) that comes intermittingly for songs that have such instruments on the track. Then they have 1 drummer/percusionist (that briefly fills in for Henley if he's out front singing with the other members).

That's it. So don't think that adds up to "plethora of backing musicians".

Sorry.

quotes from BonoIsMyMuse"

"They're not doing their "Farewell part 412" tour"

Again the "Farewell" part of the tour name for the Eagles was a JOKE by Don Henley. It was to poke fun at all the other long running "farewell" tours (namely Cher; KISS). Per the band this is no farewell tour...

"Have you heard any new Eagles songs lately?"

Yes I (and many) have... "Hole in The World" (released '03), their view of 9/11 tragedy (which is much better live than the recording). Then on the present tour they are doing 2 new songs:
'One Day At A Time' was written by Joe Walsh and 'No More Cloudy Days' is from Glenn Frey.

So to your question? Yes I have heard new Eagles songs... :drool:

A more legitimate comparison would be the Eagles to Garth Brooks. Both are/were insanely popular shlock masters who
cater to the very lowest common denominator of middle class
white people who don't actually like music that much but enjoy the occasional "pleasant" non-confrontational song.
The Eagles weren't even hip in the 70's. Now they're institutionalized schlock. Ironically some of the most critically detested bands of the 70's like the BeeGees and ABBA are now enjoying a critical renaissance. Not so the Eagles.

Or to put it another way, if you can actually sing along to Desperado without snickering you should probably be beaten over the head with a cast iron frying pan.

Or to put it another way your grandma may not like rock music but she LOOOOVVVVES Desperado. And Friends in Low Places for that matter...

Shakenotstirred said:

First of all, they were seperated for 15 years, in which members had huge solo success. Henley put out 12 singles off of his three albums in that time, and we all know how popular Walsh was. And after 94? Well first of all the band toured until 97 on their Hell Freezes Over Tour, and then Henley already had a contractual agreement to make another solo album, which came out in 2000, and then the Eagles got back in the studio and started to write again, and they got "Hole in the World" released, plus 7 more songs....but they decided to hold it off after 9/11. They took time off for family stuff, and in early 2003 started their Farewell I Tour, which Frey said will eventually turn into Farewell II and so on....and now they finally have time to go with the album. Two more new songs are being sung at shows this leg of the tour, so expect an album.

The song "Get Over It" to me is like U2's "Elevation" or "Vertigo". Everybody claims to hate it, but everyone loves to sing it and dance to it.

You are telling me that if U2 took off fifteen years and came back, that they would be where they are now musically. Definitely not. Bono is losing his voice. Look at Henley and the rest of the singing Eagles. They can still sing as well....if not better....as Frey says they are....compared to the 70's. That's a feat there.

First paragraph reply:
Of course, I know all of this, it doesn't change the accuracy of the statement, "The Eagles have relatively no new material since U2's first album came out" since 1980, U2 have made 150+ songs, 11 albums and many world tours. The Eagles have cut "maybe" enough material for one album, and have dont the old fashioned "juke box" tour a few times.

The argument is not that the Eagles are still popular, they clearly are, the argument is that you are comparing a still relevant band, with songs on charts next to artists 20 years their junior, with a succesful tour AND album with a band, The Eagles, that besides doing a money-schlocking greatest hits tour, have had maybe an album worth of material of a 25 YEAR PERIOD.

It just doesn't hold water, I put aside my disdain for The Eagles music, as I think it's entirely subjective, but this is just not comprable. Wait and see if u2 does a "jukebox tour" 10 years from now, they will still be pulling them in the seats, guaranteed.

Second statement reply:
The song "Get Over It' is crap. I would say Elevation is crap too.
I am not alone, certainly not everyone claims to hate and still sings and dances to it. It's fluff. Vertigo is notches above either tune, although I don't think it's a great song.

Third paragrpah reply:

No, I don't think U2 could take 15 years off and maintain the musical vibrancy that they have now. It's hard to do, Lord knows the Eagles proved that.

To compare Bono's voice with Henley's is just...absurd. There is no denying that Bono's voice is indeed plummeting, with age, smoking and normal wear and tear of 25 years of touring.

But his voice in, say, 1985 was immaculate, so 20 years later it's not as good as it once was but it's clearly better than the raspy growl of Don Henley. Heck, I even like Don Henley's solo work, I thinh he made soem excellent songs, but his voice is serviceable, it was pretty good when he was 25, and it's pretty good now.
When Bono was 25, his voice was immaculate, maybe now his voice is merely good. Still better than Henley's by a long shot IMO.

Joe Walsh's voice is dogshit, his guitar playing, while good has always been overrated, although he is a pretty good songwriter.

Glen Frey hasn't done shit in years, everyone knows this. His voice is similar to that of Henley's. They don't sing in high registers, and don't have much of a baritone either, just a good solid serviceable voice, that compliments the music well.

What the Eagles do well is harmonize, with often makes up for shortcomings in a singular voice. I don't disapparage the Eagles, or even their work, i respect it, even though I am not much of a fan at all. I just think this is clearly apples and oranges, but if you are going to go ahead and make the comparison, of the apple and orange, I'll take U2 in this debate any day of the week.

Kiss or Kitaro? Who is better?

Led Zep or the Carpenters?

Thin Lizzy or the Partridge Family?

The Yankees or Tiger Woods?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Are we honestly having an argument over the Eagles & U2? I mean really people... What's next... The Rolling Stones vs. Chicago?

Let's get a grip here.

Oh yeah, well you just wait until Peter Cetera comes back into the fold, and we'll see who is laughing.

:lol: @ this thread.

Someone is honestly comparing the Eagles to U2?

And someone honestly used "The Eagles" and "one of the biggest bands out there" in the same sentence, not separated by "are not"?

Silly, silly people. :wink:

:wink: hey the two bands can't compare- they both are so different. I must tell you i go to alot of concerts and the eagles were hands down the best musically i have seen. i was a little bit of a fan of their music as i grew up on it but then in concert they blew me away. it was amazing to see all the different guitars they used for each song and their harmony was incredible- i cannot put into words how good they were-HOWEVER- their words are not as meaningful to me- just fun- good time remembering lyrics! u2 really can't be compared- but i do know one thing and as a female Bono's sexiness has them all beat!
i could watch him all day and all night! :drool:

Lets not forget that U2 have covered The Eagles.

I think Larry sung Tequila Sunrise once!

I have seen the Eagles a few times, and they are great if thats what you like. They are somewhat low key onstage (except Joe Walsh who is worth the price of admission alone) and the songs are played almost exactly as on the albums. There are no forgotten lyrics or missed cues. A very different but equally (maybe not quite) enjoyable experience to a U2 show. Variety is the spice of life - I've also had fun seeing Cher, The Who, Kiss, Ozzy, etc etc...

I paid $100 for subpar seats to see the Eagles two years ago, thinking it might be a fun summer show with a friend, and it was absolutely horrible. The band absolutely hates one another--you can tell. Don Henley's microphone was so much louder than everyone else's, and he definitely can't hit high notes anymore. You could hear the poor man's testicles screaming for help. Glenn Frey was trying so obviously hard to act cool that he was embarrassing in the way your best friend's dad was embarrassing when you were 13 and he was trying to seem "cool." The show was atrocious--probably the worse I've ever seen.

The band hate's one another? They have been back together for 11 years....they could easily tour by themselves and make more money, seeing as how they wouldn't have to split it four ways....so that makes no sense.

"I fucking hate the eagles man"

This has been claimed to have been said by Henley....back in the 70's. Most likely it was someone trying to make a scene.

Or to put it another way your grandma may not like rock music but she LOOOOVVVVES Desperado. And Friends in Low Places for that matter...]

HaHa....making fun of Desperado is like making fun of One. There is nothing wrong with Desperado.

Glen Frey hasn't done shit in years, everyone knows this. His voice is similar to that of Henley's. They don't sing in high registers, and don't have much of a baritone either, just a good solid serviceable voice, that compliments the music well.

Henley can't sing the high notes? That's absurd. Listen to "Last Resort", or for that matter go to a concert of theirs. Then bite yourself after hearing his voice.

cardosino said:

U2 is the most popular relevant band who are still issuing new and interesting product. The rest are a bunch of old dinosaurs who can't cut it without a huge number of backing musicians to help out.

HAHA what? Let me just say I am a huge fan of both bands, but have not yet seen U2 (am flying from saskatchewan to vancouver to see them apr. 28&29)... to call the eagles old dinosaurs who cant cut it is completly out of line... u2 are the ones using BACKING TRACKS... u2 is the band with the singer who struggles through every song... dont get me wrong i love both bands, but the eagles are very much still alive

anyone who is actually a singer knows that henley can hit much higher notes than bono... and yes, last resort, one of my all time eagles favorites, their most underated song without a doubt... these two bands should be touring together haha

im a bit upset by the "i fuckin hate the eagles" people... i can pretty safely say no one has ever made an album as complete as hotel california... it is only 9 songs, so maybe if you took some u2 albums and cut out a few songs, they would be close... but that album is GOLD, start to finish

I like the Eagles and love U2. The Eagles songs do create more emotional attachment than your average pop song, but for me, Bono's lyrics are the pinnacle of spirit and emotion. Bad, Wake Up Dead Man, Miss Sarajevo, Acrobat, Yahweh, Mofo, Stay, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, Heartland, A Sort of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Kite, etc. are lyrical masterpieces IMO.

Thus, for me, U2 wins this battle without much of a sweat.

Oh, and another thing, could you imagine Henley trying to portray a character onstage, ala Macphisto? That is one area where Bono would put him and just about everyone else, save Peter Gabriel of the early '70s, to shame. Many people would say that Macphisto has nothing to do with music, but who cares, it was so COOL!!

Back
Top Bottom