U2 to play Twickenham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono's Tart

Refugee
My sis (Larrys Lush) got this piece of info from a new ticket agency thats opened up here in Hull.

The guy there told her that they would be applying for tickets for the U2 concert at Twickenham. The concert is due early next summer, this place holds around 100,000 for concerts.

The bad news well at least for us in the UK and I quote;

"Dont hold your breath for many concerts in England there are only a handfull!!"

I hope the first bits true but that last bit I hope is really really wrong!!
But I wouldnt be surprised looks like we are travelling again!!

After seeing the Stones at Twickenham for both concerts, I said to my friend I could really see U2 doing this in two years time. If they're doing Stadia this would be the only real option - Wembley will be nowhere near ready.
Even with GA I would be surprised if you could fit 100,000 in as you'll have to knock out one end. As Twickenham is in the middle of a residential area the planning will be tight - The Stones were threatened with arrest if they weren't off stage by 2230!
If it's limited concerts in England maybe it will be Glasto plus two maybe three nights at Twickers.
The thing I find interesting about your post is you make reference to limited nights in England - they got very upset last time about Glasgow not initially being included so maybe a Stadium (Celtic Park, Ibrox?) up there as well as possibly the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff- I saw the Stereophonics there and it feels like a Stadium sized arena with the roof.
If they are considering Twickers maybe it means they'll follow the Stones on format in the UK as well, maybe an Arena date and a theatre date alongside the big gigs.

We thought maybe Cardiff, Glasgow and Roundhay Park Leeds as well but even so thats only another 3 dates.

I personally dont like the massive outdoor gigs I still go but after Elevation it will be hard to go back to huge outdoor events.

Like everything its just rumour we will just have to wait and see but if U2 run true to form we will get sold short again. Its something I feel really strongly about and would love to get the chance to put the question to the band as to the reasons why.

I remember Larry saying in an interview after the Elevation tour ended that "they will be doing the travelling the next time", not the fans. (he was referring to the number of UK dates)

Elevation had 12 UK+Ireland shows, vs Popmart's 7, Zoo TV's 16 (though they were playing both arenas - only 5 indoor shows - and stadiums and it was a longer tour) and Joshua Tree's 15 shows. (which was 15+ years ago)

How is having 12 shows (2 of which were 90 000 people each - which is like having extra 9 indoor shows if we take the average of 20 000 people) bad?

Last edited:
I think it'll be two - three shows at Twickenham, and Glasto for England, hopefully a couple in Scotland, Glasgow or Edinburgh, not that bothered where (I'll be there with bells on top!) and maybe a Welsh show as well.

The reason they originally left Glasgow off the Elevation Tour was they weren't sure if the stage design would fit in the SECC hall (it's a weird shape, you play across the hall not up and down it) anyway they played there and got the stage fitted in, so I've no doubt they'll play up here in Scotland on this tour, at least they better!

U2girl said:
I remember Larry saying in an interview after the Elevation tour ended that "they will be doing the travelling the next time", not the fans. (he was referring to the number of UK dates)

Elevation had 12 UK+Ireland shows, vs Popmart's 7, Zoo TV's 16 (though they were playing both arenas - only 5 indoor shows - and stadiums and it was a longer tour) and Joshua Tree's 15 shows. (which was 15+ years ago)

How is having 12 shows (2 of which were 90 000 people each - which is like having extra 9 indoor shows if we take the average of 20 000 people) bad?

Well in my book 12 concerts which inc England,Scotland and Ireland is a pretty bad show when you look at the total amount of concerts on the Elevation Tour!! That fact speaks for itself.

I see no reason why the UK and Ireland shouldnt get at least 20 shows (they would sell out) and more shows in Europe they should reduce the amount of the USA shows or just do one leg.

That will never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bono's Tart said:

more shows in Europe they should reduce the amount of the USA shows or just do one leg.

The dollar situation (and by implication therefore George Bush) maybe about to do us the most massive favour, UK and European shows will be much more profitable this time.

Bono's Tart said:

Well in my book 12 concerts which inc England,Scotland and Ireland is a pretty bad show when you look at the total amount of concerts on the Elevation Tour!! That fact speaks for itself.

I see no reason why the UK and Ireland shouldnt get at least 20 shows (they would sell out) and more shows in Europe they should reduce the amount of the USA shows or just do one leg.

That will never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

France got 2 Paris shows and Germany got I think 5 shows on the last tour. Any more perspective?

UK and Ireland always get the most European shows (12 out of 33, 2 of which were massive outdoor shows), as it should since they're the homecoming shows.

20? They didn't even do 20 shows during Joshua Tree or Zoo TV! I also wish they'd reduce US shows but I don't think it's going to happen. But stadium shows mean more people will be able to see them.

U2girl said:

France got 2 Paris shows and Germany got I think 5 shows on the last tour. Any more perspective?

UK and Ireland always get the most European shows (12 out of 33, 2 of which were massive outdoor shows), as it should since they're the homecoming shows.

20? They didn't even do 20 shows during Joshua Tree or Zoo TV! I also wish they'd reduce US shows but I don't think it's going to happen. But stadium shows mean more people will be able to see them.

England/Ireland 12 shows USA/CANADA was it 57/58 I'll have to have a look ?? great equality there bearing in mind the indoor arenas there hold far more than they do here!

Just as point of interest for you there were loads and I mean loads of American fans at the gigs in the UK just how they managed to get tickets and those of us who live in this country couldnt I'll never know? Any Idea??

You know they always play the most shows in US, so you can't really compare that.
You can compare UK shows with the rest of Europe, though - and you're clearly ahead there.

I guess internet helped to get tickets, and they were willing to travel to Europe - since the demand was huge, it helped getting the tickets ASAP. You can't stop people from travelling, I bet US shows had Europeans too.

*edit* Also, some people don't have a choice BUT to travel since U2 isn't likely to play in their country. Are you saying they should stay home on the next tour?

Last edited:
U2girl said:
You know they always play the most shows in US, so you can't really compare that.
You can compare UK shows with the rest of Europe, though - and you're clearly ahead there.I?

The fair comparator would be the number of US & Canada shows compared to shows in Europe - fair because record sales are about the same. I also agree with earlier observations on the capacity at Twickenham - no way would it fit 100,000.

Mike

If we're going by the sales U2 should also play rest of the world (outside of US and Europe who both have 33% of sales of music worldwide) more, as it has 33% of sales of music worldwide.

U2 plays the most shows in US because it's the most important market in the world.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
You can compare UK shows with the rest of Europe, though - and you're clearly ahead there.

I guess internet helped to get tickets, and they were willing to travel to Europe - since the demand was huge, it helped getting the tickets ASAP. You can't stop people from travelling, I bet US shows had Europeans too.

*edit* Also, some people don't have a choice BUT to travel since U2 isn't likely to play in their country. Are you saying they should stay home on the next tour?

Of course I am not saying anyone should stay at home dont be so silly!!!

I too have had to travel abroad to see U2 that isnt what I mean I just find it strange that some fans from abroad had tickets for every concert when we live here and we couldnt get any to start of with!!

If you dont think thats odd I certainly do!!!

Bono's Tart said:

Of course I am not saying anyone should stay at home dont be so silly!!!

I too have had to travel abroad to see U2 that isnt what I mean I just find it strange that some fans from abroad had tickets for every concert when we live here and we couldnt get any to start of with!!

If you dont think thats odd I certainly do!!!

Well you were angry about Americans being at UK/Irish shows. I'm just saying with U2 the demand is big, so whoever wants tickets has to hurry up, and internet helps if someone wants to travel. You can't stop that.

I remember reports from people from all over the world when the last tour started in Miami.

Besides, this is only a rumor at this point, let's wait and see where and when they will play. Stadium shows may mean less koncerts, but it will be better on Bono's voice plus more fans will be able to see them.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Well you were angry about Americans being at UK/Irish shows. I'm just saying with U2 the demand is big, so whoever wants tickets has to hurry up, and internet helps if someone wants to travel. You can't stop that.

I remember reports from people from all over the world when the last tour started in Miami.

Besides, this is only a rumor at this point, let's wait and see where and when they will play. Stadium shows may mean less koncerts, but it will be better on Bono's voice plus more fans will be able to see them.

I'm not angry thats a rather sweeping statement to make about a simple comment, I'm just stating a fact!
Your earlier statement about fan HAVING to travel really doesnt apply to Americans does it??

Stadium shows do mean more fans get to see them and I'm all for that but that applies to LESS concerts in EVERY country not just in Europe.

I cant wait to see the chaos that will happen when these tickets go on sale, I think we shoud gather info on how everyone got their tickets and where they are from!

Bono's Tart said:

Just as point of interest for you there were loads and I mean loads of American fans at the gigs in the UK just how they managed to get tickets and those of us who live in this country couldnt I'll never know? Any Idea??

You seemed angry with this argument.

It can apply to Americans, if they don't go to US shows for whatever reason.

Well it's either MORE concerts in arenas and more strain on Bono's voice or LESS concerts in stadiums and less strain on Bono's voice. Where they played 3 or 4 arena shows on the last tour, they could now play just 1 or 2 stadium shows.

(I have a feeling we might see something like Zoo TV when they started in arenas but got back in the stadiums in US and Europe, plus Australia got to see them live. Though maybe less stadiums will be played in US this time)

We will just have to wait and see on this I think.

I'm sure that they wont leave Australia out this time but unless this album outsells everything they have done before I dont think they will extend the original tour dates that much.

I've resigned myself to the fact we will be travelling again! Which I dont really mind needs must!!

I'm with Bono's Tart on that point
Elevation was the first time I ever saw them, and I ended up forking out a small fortune on tickets... with a coach trip included (that I didnt need!) and stuff, I didnt care cos I so wanted to see them, but I am dreading going through all of this again!!...

Twickenham took 50-60,000 for the Stones and would be the best option if it is to be Stadiums. I think the only venues in England to go over 100,000 would be either Hyde Park (Bon Jovi had 93,000 there) or Knebworth. Lets all hope that neither of those are used.

Roundhay park in Leeds is good. I saw U2 there for Zooropa and Popmart. Someone said that the attendance at Zooropa was 80,000+ but I don't know if that was true but I remember Bono saying it made Wembley look like a bowling green!!

I'm hoping they play up north somewhere so it's less distance to travel but then again I'm likely to go to as many shows as possible :)

Stones at Twickenham = U2?

I agree with whoever mentioned the Stones' recent performance at Twickenham. The place lends itself to that type of large scale show, perhaps in the vein of a ZooTV production by U2. Has anyone heard what type of tour we should be expecting? The Elevation tour, while retaining some of the video and light effects characteristic of latter-day U2, was more scaled down in comparison to both 1997 and 1992.

Personally, I'd like to see a U2 stadium tour, but I fear the guys starting to parody themselves in 1984. Even the Stones, while still very competent and entertaining onstage, are nowhere near their previous performance caliber. I think U2 should somehow combine the stadium atmosphere with the technical presentation of a stripped-down tour like "Elevation."

Thanks. Later all!

JULY 2ND !!

Well these dodgy agencies are selling tickets for that date!!

We need some confirmation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom