U2 to perform at Live Aid 20th anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SoCalMusicLover said:
Sorry blue eyes....just beat you with the Phil Collins info. Glad I'm not the only one who remembers back that far. :)

Dayam! :wink:

Interesting discussion about the possible line up. So what if U2 are one of the first acts on?? Elton, Rolling Stones and especially Paul McCartney are LEGENDS!!!

I read on U2tour.de Paul McCartney will open the show with U2, and that they will play Sgt Pepper's lonely hearts club band.

:shrug:

If the show goes late in the night on Saturday....

U2 could open the show, play Vienna, then fly back for the finale and afterparty in London.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
If the show goes late in the night on Saturday....

U2 could open the show, play Vienna, then fly back for the finale and afterparty in London.
u2fp

I think you're dreaming a bit with that one. I see your point, but I think the only thing they'll be doing after they finish in Vienna, is going back to the hotel for some much needed rest. It's enough that they're showing up in the afternoon for a set, so let's be happy with that.

From the sound of things, there will be plenty of performers to handle the evening hours just fine.

U2FanPeter said:
The band had lots of practice with crazy flight schedules on the 93 european tour.

u2fp

No offense, but this isn't 1993, and they are not only going to be performing twice in one day, but also traveling between countries, that are not exactly next to one another. If they're normally tired after doing a 2 hour show, they're definitely going to want rest after everything that they will deal with that day.

I don't mean to argue, but you're looking at it from the point of view of a U2 fan. Anyone lucky enough to be standing in Hyde Park that night, is not going to be saying....oh darn, I wish I could hear U2 play some more. They'll probably be content with watching Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney and perhaps Elton John, playing Together for possibly the last time ever.

I mentioned summer 1993 because U2 were flying to and from dublin to european gigs to finish Zooropa for a 2 week period.

The group have also had to do arrive at shows just before showtime by flight before. Charlotte 2001 and Minneapolis(?) 2001 are two examples.

Luckily, while they may have 2 shows in one day, they have 2 days off before and 2 days off afterwards.

I just mention this event should gather the interest of young people - will Mick/Elton/Macca do this? The only names I've seen mentioned that were not affiliated with the 1985 show are Emineman and Spice Girls.

u2fp

I think I have some or all of it on tape somewhere, but does anybody remember the actual time of the first Live Aid? How long did the London show actually last? And as a side question, about how many acts performed?

U2 will be there this is one of Bonos pet causes and Adam Clayton already stated it would be early in the day so there should be no arguement.

The USA version will be in Philadelphia... News conference set for this week... It was in The Philadelphia Inquirer this morning

I'd wait for official confirmation on all of this. So far, Sting is the only act confirmed. Yeah, I know, Adam said yes, but he ain't Paul.

Rumors fly, and so far so much of this is rumor. Before you guys rearrange your lives, wait for real news.

Geldof Plans 'Live 8' Benefit Concerts

Mon May 30, 7:20 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA - Two decades after the original Live Aid, when rock stars raised money for Ethiopian famine relief, singer-activist
Bob Geldof is planning another star-studded, humanitarian event.
ADVERTISEMENT

Live 8 is set for Saturday, July 2, on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, a city spokeswoman said. The event will coincide with a second show in London, publicist Laura Perez told The Philadelphia Inquirer in Sunday's editions.

Details, including the lineup and other possible venues, remain secret. They are expected to be unveiled Tuesday morning at joint press conferences in Philadelphia and London, according to Perez.

The name "Live 8" is a nod to the G-8 summit, a meeting of the world's leading powers, set to start days later in Scotland. Geldof has pressed for the world's wealthiest countries to do more to fight famine and poverty in Africa.

Live Aid, held July 13, 1985, brought
Mick Jagger,
Madonna,
Tina Turner and other stars to town while others performed at Wembley Stadium in London. The effort raised tens of millions of dollars for Ethiopia.

"What started 20 years ago is coming to a political point in a few weeks," Geldof told the BBC last week. "There's more than a chance that the boys and girls with guitars will finally get to turn the world on its axis."

The singer Sting has confirmed that he will take part in the event. "Bob called me up and said I was doing it," Sting said. "He doesn't ask you, he tells you."

I'd like to be the first right now, to offer a straight up swap for 2 GA tickets to Dublin on June 27(Monday), in exchange for 2 tickets to Live 8.

I realize that nothing has been announced yet regarding tickets, but if anybody is fortunate enough to get a pair, I would gladly make this trade.

Back
Top Bottom