U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobert16

The Fly
In 2008 Quebec City will be celebrating it's 400th Anniversary, and to celebrate the event there are a lot of big things going on in the City! I heard on the radio today that U2 was invited to perform (for $1.5 million) on the Plains of Abraham. For those who don't know, it's a large, open park that is already host to many concerts each summer. Unfortunately, U2 turned down the offer! Apparently Quebec City is still trying to convince them to come, and Quebec's suggesting to turn it into a benefit concert for the charity of U2's choosing. It would be so cool if U2 played in La Ville de Quebec! But why won't they... :(

Link: h t t p://download.you send it.com/A72314196161B741
- Fast Forward to 5:24

Speculation: If U2 is to release an album in 2007 or early 2008, couldn't we expect them to tour in 2008? Why isn't it possible to fit Quebec City into a 2008 Tour?

bobert16 said:
Speculation: If U2 is to release an album in 2007 or early 2008, couldn't we expect them to tour in 2008? Why isn't it possible to fit Quebec City into a 2008 Tour?

Because it's far too early to plan anything yet when the album's recording session is so young and nothing is certain about how it will develop and when it will be released?

I don't see what U2 has to do with Quebec City either. Now, if it were somewhere like Dublin, Cork, or Belfast, then it might be a bit more surprising if U2 outright turned down such an invitation!

Yea. French people. Maybe U2 get too many of these kinds of invites and feel if they can't make one they shouldn't do any of them. They aren't hurting for gigs, that's for sure so they can certainly be extremely cautious and picky about what performances they choose to do.

U2FanPeter said:
<<$1.5mil>>

Weren't the band grossing double that amount on a nightly basis in Europe for gigs the same size?

Yeah it was like $4 mill - $6 mill each show.
Also u2 dont wanna be doing another pop distaster. Booking gigs and using rehearsals to finish the albums.

If they took this, next up would be Paris Hilton's birthday party for $2Million. Then would come a concert to celebrate Joe Gerrick's Used Toyota Car Dealership's selling of its 100,000th car....and so on....

As nice of a city as Quebec is, and as nice it is that it's hitting 400 years, to ask U2 to come and peform because of that----?----that's so random! I don't really see why the city really thinks U2 would or should say yes. :shrug:

bobert16 said:
In 2008 Quebec City will be celebrating it's 400th Anniversary, and to celebrate the event there are a lot of big things going on in the City! I heard on the radio today that U2 was invited to perform (for $1.5 million) on the Plains of Abraham. For those who don't know, it's a large, open park that is already host to many concerts each summer.

You get these rumours from time to time.. Same sort of thing happened here in Holland 16 years ago.. The City of Rotterdam was celebrating its 750th birthday. newspapers were full of new about hotshot bands that were coming to play.....
..nothing ever happened back then........

If, a big IF, U2 would like to do this, they'll definately keep it quiet for another 20 months or so... I don't know who much work U2 have done over the last months (France and Abbey Road)... I guess work on new material will continue from March 2007 or so... ....We'll have to be patient........

You Aussies, Kiwis, Alohas and sushis still have some U2 to come... Man, I envy you guys.... Enjoy the shows!!!!
On a personal account, I'm looking forward to the setlist parties....:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
.....they're all in the afternoon here in Europe....

Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Wow, what's with all the racial slurs?

'Aussies' and 'Kiwis' aren't racial slurs ... :huh:

I bet Quebec city would be unable to get The Killers for 1.5mil

Maybe they should hire Hanoi Rocks and have them duet with the Stasney Brothers!!!!

Major bonus points if you can unravel the second line of my post.

u2fp

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

Axver said:

No offence from my side! I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings...
Just hoping you guys will have a good time next month...

It's Official - Quebec City got Fu:censored: ed

I miss these threads

Bastards!!!

I'd like to know how come they didn't play the bicentenial celebration of Moose Jaw:mad:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

wtonis said:

No offence from my side! I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings...
Just hoping you guys will have a good time next month...

I can't speak for the Japanese or Hawaiians, but 'Aussie' and 'Kiwi' are in no way offensive to any Australian or New Zealander so you have no troubles there. ZooMacPhisto800 just needs to stop trolling. As a New Zealander, I prefer to call myself a Kiwi. :)

(In fact, I can't think of any racial slurs for a Kiwi ... 'sheep shagger', I guess, but I take that as an over-used Aussie joke.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

Axver said:
(In fact, I can't think of any racial slurs for a Kiwi ... 'sheep shagger', I guess, but I take that as an over-used Aussie joke.)

But it so sums everything up!!!! :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

blueeyedgirl said:

But it so sums everything up!!!! :wink:

Only in your convict mind. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

Axver said:

:lol:

This thread is hilarious! Anyway I doubt U2 could be lured into playing Quebec City as a lot of huge acts only do Montreal as a favour or because they like the city. Quebec charges more taxes for performances than other provinces I believe, which is why you see some artists go to Ontario and do 4 shows instead.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Snubs Quebec City 2008

Canadiens1160 said:
:lol:

This thread is hilarious! Anyway I doubt U2 could be lured into playing Quebec City as a lot of huge acts only do Montreal as a favour or because they like the city. Quebec charges more taxes for performances than other provinces I believe, which is why you see some artists go to Ontario and do 4 shows instead.

I don't need to tell you that huge acts do not do Montreal as a "favour". Huge acts do Ottawa as a favour (for example, the much smaller city took one of our recent U2 shows). Why did Madonna play two shows in Montreal and none in TO recently?

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Says the guy from Denmark.

If you listen closely, you can hear nobody giving a shit.

Didn't U2 say they were moving to Montreal or something?

I'll stop talking now.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Didn't U2 say they were moving to Montreal or something?

I'll stop talking now.

You make two profound points:

Lem onMacPhisto said:

Yes, all too often the smallest gestures of racism (or bigotry) go unnoticed... go unchallenged. Sadly, only LemonMacPhisto and myself seem to care.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'll stop talking now.

And when voyeurs like LemonMacPhisto and myself do speak up, we find ourselves quickly silenced by the sound of apathy.

No, I was referring to your overreactions of slang terms on a message board.

I, in no way, agree with your stance and think it is about 16 levels of ridiculous.

Trry and spin this post into your own anti-free speech propoganda nutboy.

Actually guys it is true that u2 was asked to play Quebec in 2008
and trust me i would LOOOVE for them to come here but i dont see it..... we are getting cold play, ac dc, Sum 41 Avril lavigne ...etc
but u2 would be the best to see... i am from quebec and i did research on this cuz a lot of radio station are talking about this.. the thing is the main man from cirque du soleil who happens to be from here and a good friend of bono might have some influence on this decision... web sites write all kinds of stories.. but anyways like one of you guys said u2 might be releasing a new album and it is true that when they tour the dates are usually planed way in advanced.. anyways will see what happens. but the decision has nothing to do with french people......

U2FanPeter said:
Have U2 ever played east of Montreal in Canada?

As someone from New Brunswick, I can tell you that most bands and most people figure Canada ends at Montreal.

Hell, the Tragically Hip, one of Canada's biggest bands, is playing an across Canada tour that doesn't even go to Halifax.

Billy Rotten said:

As someone from New Brunswick, I can tell you that most bands and most people figure Canada ends at Montreal.

Hell, the Tragically Hip, one of Canada's biggest bands, is playing an across Canada tour that doesn't even go to Halifax.

I thought Rolling Stones, REM, Pearl Jam and Nickelback have all played large shows in Eastern Canada in the past couple years. There was also the Junos.

I think the problem is that the arena is too small and the only other option is clubs/theaters or an outdoor show in a field.

BTW, bank on the Hip having lots of cdn dates throughout 2007. Maybe even a ressurection of Roadside in the Summer.

Back
Top Bottom