U2 Security are a disgrace to the fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leebonoman96

Acrobat
Firstly I would like to say Ive been a U2 fan for more than 20 years and I have never had a bad word to say about U2 or anything U2 related. Secondly I hope this is in the right forum and thirdly it is purely written for the sake I hope U2 fix the problem so we don't see disappointed fans ever again.

By now most of us know the stocky bald guy who is mainly by Bono's side. The head of security or Bono's personal bodyguard. The guy who walks around the stadium watching Bono's every move. The guy who comes out of the hotel or hired car before the band. His name is John Sampson. After the tour of Australia I just want to say how disappointed we are with you.

A bunch of us saved alot of money and decided to travel all around Australia and support the band on every show. We even got shirts made up and called us 'Team Vertigo'. On every stop in every state we of course wanted to meet the boys. Stupidly we even outlayed $650 a night to stay at The Palazzo Versace on The Gold Coast. That was our desire to meet the boys, get photos or autographs. It also wasn't hard to find out which hotel in each state they were staying in either. They are The Biggest band in the world. So we would line up out the front of the hotel with on many times other fans and wait patiently for u2 members to come out. On nearly every time a band member did come out and greet the fans but what takes place is what really pissed me off.

On The Gold Coast we waited in the foyer for 8 hours on The Sunday. As they came out security refused us inside so we calmly went outside. Edge signed first, no problems. As Larry was about to sign John Sampson came over and said to Larry 'This guy hasn't been waiting out here all day dont sign". After waiting so long to see these guys Larry then turned to me and said "Right, then he can go to the end of the line". I waited almost all day and 8 years to cop that. Thanks John Sampson. I dont blame Larry as he wasnt to know but John Sampson did. Secondly a few minutes later Adam came out, was signing everyones, got to mine signed it and then John Sampson said "Ok thats the last one". Initially I was happy then I turned to my left. There were 6 people left. 2 were kids. This is why I'm writing this. The heartache I felt and saw in others as John Sampson stops the band from signing. I suppose U2 have to take some responsiblity, they are adults and not muppets.

The next day the band came, This time there wasn't as many fans waiting, maybe 30 in total. What pissed me off was John Sampson saying they dont have time for photos but accepted a blonde who by the way was well equiped and fairly attractive to stop and get a photo. If you agree to one, isnt only fair for the next person to get a photo even if they are a bloke and dont have big tits.

Anyway we tried a few times in Sydney with no real luck, same with Adelaide. Finally on our last day we agreed, hey lets give it one more try to meet Bono. So we rocked up to the Park Hyatt fairly early. Might of been 2 people before us. We waited 3 hours and by luck Bono came out of the hotel. He got in the car, they drove down to the entrance and he got out. By this time there was maybe 40 people. Mr John Sampson got out first as usual. Some fans were pushing forward. Bono got out on the other side to us and started signing. John Sampson said "its ok, we are going to get to everybody". You beauty we thought, so we just waited. Bono got through half and then guess what happened? John Sampson said "ok boss, we got to go" Once again we missed out and so did 10 or so others. It was one of the biggest let downs we have ever experienced and changed alot for us as fans.

My point to this long and maybe boring post is We all know the band is busy but if you decide to come out make sure you make an effort to get to every fan. Dont stop halfway through or a few short. Dont sign one if you cant sign all. I saw people so upset, including us it just was unbelievable.

We are the fans who supported you for so long and an extra 5 minutes to make sure everyone is happy isnt going to kill you.
I'm sorry, I know Ive dragged on but i really hope any of you who read this dont experience such an upsetting time when it should be the time of your life meeting U2. thanks

I had good experiences with security. I actually thought they were unreal but I can understand how you must feel.
I think he has a hard job to do and youve got to remember that they have groups of people like that everywhere they go.

I can understand your frustration though. He ignored me in Sydney when I asked him a question. But its his job. He's there to protect Bono and I respect him for that.

I too have been dissapointed. I have been totally devoted to U2 for 10+ years. We were told by a "friend" that his brother in law works at Telstra dome and would get us pre-sale tickets that would be fantastic. I trusted him and was pretty excited. I'm not very computer savvy but tried to check our seats on the internet. That's when I found out about GA tickets, heaps cheaper but heaps better....damn.
To cut a long story short we paid $199 each for bottom level, second row from the back. When everyone stood up for the concert we couldn't see the big screens at all and the sound was bouncing around so badly that if we couldn't understand a word when Bono spoke. I ended up broken hearted and almost in tears. It was still a great concert but our seats were rubbish. I hope they come back soon....

You know, I do understand your disappointment. But you should understand that U2 have a time table to keep (i.e. getting to the stadium to play a gig!) and it's their securities job to make sure they stick to that time table. I'm sure all the intentions are good and U2 try to accomadate as many fans as possible but sometimes things take longer than they predicted (their only human after all!) and they have to be off!! And it's the securities tough job to keep the guys on their schedual not matter what!! You just have to put it down to bad luck. :shrug:

Come on, they do their job, that's what they are paid for.
It's unfortunate that you had some bad experiences and were unlucky.
There are many fans who would tell you a very different story.
In fact, the band usually takes much time for their fans and care about them more than most other artists do. But they have so many other stuff on their agenda and things to do and its the security's job 1. to keep them save and protect them and 2. to make sure they can keep up with all their obligations.

i think the hotel should be off limits, i mean thats where the band lives, a place where they can just relax and not have to deal with all that stuff. waiting outside a gig seems more appropriate but i never really got the whole meeting the band obssession anyway.

Tough call... but the band give so much to us on stage and in their music; how much more do you want? From what I've read in interviews the fact that you hung around outside their hotel for hours and whatever is something the band don't really like much so I'm not sure what your expectation was. I hate to say it... but I feel that U2 probably think hanging around at their hotels is a little freakish and due to that you aren't really guaranteed anything by doing so. Take a chill pill and enjoy the memories of the concerts.

I understand U2 have a time table to keep and the hotels are their homes whilst away. Problem is, they do come out, they do sign or take photos while at hotels. What I want to see is that if they have 5 mins they surely have 7 mins to satisfy all. I expect half the people to read this to say bad luck, but I will never forget the look on those kids faces and until you experience it right in front of you i guess you wont understand.

hcbiggs2002 said:
You know, I do understand your disappointment. But you should understand that U2 have a time table to keep (i.e. getting to the stadium to play a gig!) and it's their securities job to make sure they stick to that time table. I'm sure all the intentions are good and U2 try to accomadate as many fans as possible but sometimes things take longer than they predicted (their only human after all!) and they have to be off!! And it's the securities tough job to keep the guys on their schedual not matter what!! You just have to put it down to bad luck. :shrug:

I agree, better early than late!

Leebonoman96 said:
I understand U2 have a time table to keep and the hotels are their homes whilst away. Problem is, they do come out, they do sign or take photos while at hotels. What I want to see is that if they have 5 mins they surely have 7 mins to satisfy all. I expect half the people to read this to say bad luck, but I will never forget the look on those kids faces and until you experience it right in front of you i guess you wont understand.

I see your point. But if they take 7 minutes, they could take 9, and if they take 9... you see what I mean. They could never possibly spend the time it would take to meet all the people who want to meet them - even the ones who have waited a long time.
They are musicians above all. The fact that they still go out, year after year, and put on these tours, and that even on mediocre nights, even with ordinary setlists, they put more work into each concert than I can imagine, will keep me forever in their debt.

"By now most of us know the stocky bald guy who is mainly by Bono's side. The head of security or Bono's personal bodyguard. The guy who walks around the stadium watching Bono's every move. The guy who comes out of the hotel or hired car before the band. His name is John Sampson. After the tour of Australia I just want to say how disappointed we are with you."

I'm sorry that you feel that way because, my experience with John was awsome, talking to him before the guys came and he made sure that the girls I was with and I got our chance with Bono which was better than we could have imagined. John took the photos below. He needs to keep Bono in check and on time so he is a little more than a bodyguard for him and as he said to us he has worked for Bono for 19 years. There has to be a limit somewhere to the time they spend with the fans. Yes, its easy for me to say because I got my time with Bono, but I think Johns job is a little more complicated than what we may think.

I think we should give him a break and thanks for keeping Bono in line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkHLNCBgCM

This is John directing Bono over to myself and the girls...(I had waited 26 years!!!)

another reason why maybe people get passed up maybe its not John but Bono himself. :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66IHpRlZ4wc&NR

last unicorn said:
Come on, they do their job, that's what they are paid for.
It's unfortunate that you had some bad experiences and were unlucky.
There are many fans who would tell you a very different story.
In fact, the band usually takes much time for their fans and care about them more than most other artists do. But they have so many other stuff on their agenda and things to do and its the security's job 1. to keep them save and protect them and 2. to make sure they can keep up with all their obligations.

:up:

I feel sorry for the kids, but if you wait in line to meet the band, it's not guaranteed that you will succeed. You take your chances.

Last edited:
Is this thread for real?

First of all, it's not Sampson's fault you're pissed you spent hundreds of dollars stalking the band and having nothing to show for it. I've met Bono three times and Larry once, and every time was by accident, I wasn't really even trying. Every time I've tried to meet one of them, I've come up short. The first time I met Bono, I was walking around and John Sampson came out of this hotel (I had no idea Bono was even there) and said we could meet Bono if we stood where he pointed. So we did and as Bono came out, John directed him to come over to us.

Do you really expect the band to stop and chat with EVERY single fan who waits in line to meet them or tries to get into their hotels? That would be like 1000 people each day!

John Sampson, U2 owe us nothing.

If people are upset it's because of their expectations, not anything the U2 camp did. If you need Bono's autograph that bad, buy one on eBay or something.

As you've described, situations where there's more than a dozen people are very dangerous. It's obvious it makes John nervous and it's just not worth the risk. The second time I met Bono I was there with three other people and the second he came out, there was a mob. Seriously, grown women were pushing kids to the cement. I shook Bono's hand and then I was so embarrassed to be a U2 fan the way people around me were acting, I just walked away and rolled my eyes. Immediately John pulled Bono aside and said he'd had enough.

If people would just act civilized, I'm sure the band WOULD be more likely to spend more time with fans. Case in point - Sept 20 Bono and Edge both stopped and went around a large circle of fans for about a half an hour. This was a pretty big group that had gathered throughout the day, but everyone was calm, no one was rushing or pushing, so they stopped to give everyone a few minutes.

Like some of you, I learned the hard way that it just doesn't work like we want it to. But that was also a reality check. These are real people with real lives that don't actually revolve around fans and what other people constantly demand of them.

when i waited outside continental airlines arena in the spring, bono came out, shook hands and signed a few things going up the line, and stopped about 5 people short of me.

later in the fall at MSG, he was right in front of me but there was a line of people in front and he only went to the first line, not the two/three/four lines behind them.

was i disapointed? sure. but shit... he doesn't have to do it at all. there is no obligation to sign autographs, many of which just end up on e-bay anyways. they are on a schedule... it is their job, after all... as much as we'd love to have their job, there is still a time table involved. i was over it in about 2 minutes. :shrug: but that's me.

as for the hotel thing...i'm with chip on this one. i know they do stop for people at the hotels, but if i were them i wouldn't. the hotel is their home on the road. it's the one place where we as fans shoudl give them a little privacy. they had two hotels in new york... one for band and one for crew, and i knew exactly which ones they were, but i didn't ever think of actually going there. heck, i won't wait around the san remo, the apartment building where bono's NYC pad is, even though i walk past it quite often. waiting around a celeb's house is just a little too mark chapman for my likes.

Liesje, I agree with your post.
I understand Fans want to see them and show them their love and appreciation, but sometimes things get out of hand. It's the security's job to look after Bono and Co., not to please the fans.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
when i waited outside continental airlines arena in the spring, bono came out, shook hands and signed a few things going up the line, and stopped about 5 people short of me.

later in the fall at MSG, he was right in front of me but there was a line of people in front and he only went to the first line, not the two/three/four lines behind them.

was i disapointed? sure. but shit... he doesn't have to do it at all. there is no obligation to sign autographs, many of which just end up on e-bay anyways. they are on a schedule... it is their job, after all... as much as we'd love to have their job, there is still a time table involved. i was over it in about 2 minutes. :shrug: but that's me.

as for the hotel thing...i'm with chip on this one. i know they do stop for people at the hotels, but if i were them i wouldn't. the hotel is their home on the road. it's the one place where we as fans shoudl give them a little privacy. they had two hotels in new york... one for band and one for crew, and i knew exactly which ones they were, but i didn't ever think of actually going there. heck, i won't wait around the san remo, the apartment building where bono's NYC pad is, even though i walk past it quite often. waiting around a celeb's house is just a little too mark chapman for my likes.

Well said.

Liesje said:
The second time I met Bono I was there with three other people and the second he came out, there was a mob. Seriously, grown women were pushing kids to the cement. I shook Bono's hand and then I was so embarrassed to be a U2 fan the way people around me were acting, I just walked away and rolled my eyes. Immediately John pulled Bono aside and said he'd had enough.

:yes: i'm a fairly big guy and i was pushed out of the way outside MSG by some people who wanted to get in front of me. i could have pushed back if i wanted to, and certainly i would have won the battle between the puny little bald guy and his girlfriend who did the pushing... but it would have been quite sad and pathetic of me to do so, just as it was sad and pathetic for them to push their way in to begin with. so i just shook my head, stayed behind them, observed and snapped a few pictures...

52021559_be5fc87caf.jpg

81308115_46a437c188.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clancy3434/sets/1715476/

would i have liked to have gotten to shake his hand and maybe get a picture with him? of course... but i was happy none hte less, and happy that a few of my friends did get to do just that.

and besides... the show was all that mattered, and it was quite droolworthy

52026362_320520db83.jpg

:drool:

We, too, had a great experience with John. Hi JCoster :wave: John made my daughter the happiest 14 year old on the planet on 9/26/06 outside the NYC book signing. Not only was he wonderful making sure Bono got to my two kids, my daughter very much enjoyed chatting with John before Bono even showed up. She and another girl she met there wrote John a thank you note that they were able to give him after the book signing. I wasn't even with them when all of this happened because I was upstairs for the signing, but my daughter called my cell and told me everything, and she must have said at least 5 times to make sure that I thank John for her! And I did right after my book was signed, and he was just a sweetheart! That said, I am very sorry for your disappointment. I'm sure it wasn't anything intentional on John's part. Like everyone else has stated, I'm sure he was trying to keep Bono on schedule and do his job to the best of his ability.
~Liz

circa1992 said:
We, too, had a great experience with John. Hi JCoster :wave: John made my daughter the happiest 14 year old on the planet on 9/26/06 outside the NYC book signing. Not only was he wonderful making sure Bono got to my two kids, my daughter very much enjoyed chatting with John before Bono even showed up. She and another girl she met there wrote John a thank you note that they were able to give him after the book signing. I wasn't even with them when all of this happened because I was upstairs for the signing, but my daughter called my cell and told me everything, and she must have said at least 5 times to make sure that I thank John for her! And I did right after my book was signed, and he was just a sweetheart! That said, I am very sorry for your disappointment. I'm sure it wasn't anything intentional on John's part. Like everyone else has stated, I'm sure he was trying to keep Bono on schedule and do his job to the best of his ability.
~Liz

Hi Liz....:wave: Well said.....and oh how true..John :heart:

Hey, I forgot about the thank you note which they first started to write on the back of my Bono please sign my Eduns sign!:giggle:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
i think the hotel should be off limits, i mean thats where the band lives, a place where they can just relax and not have to deal with all that stuff. waiting outside a gig seems more appropriate but i never really got the whole meeting the band obssession anyway.

I agree. And don't get me started on showing up at their homes. I think they have the patience of saints. I would have thrown punches by now if I were Bono.

I met Adam & Edge and they were cool with me. I mean, I can see them fearing some nut ball trying to do something crazy specially if they see him all the time trying too hard to meet them. I'm not saying you are but, unfortunately people like that are around. I happened to drive by and waited for a hour or two and sure enough, they came out. Saw that people were patient and they go about. Simple. You have to give them their space as well. Sorry dude. Better luck next time.

Personally, I think fans that go to the hotels that the band stay at are crossing a line I wouldn't dare cross. Obviously, there is nothing illegal about this. It is not a crime. I just wouldn't do it. That said, this is a price one pays for being a rock star and it is assumed that they should expect this behaviour. In fact, I would even go so far to suggest that when one becomes a rock star, you demand people to wait outside your hotel like ornaments on a Christmas tree. If no one is at U2's hotel, they might think they must suck. :wink:

John is actually is a really nice guy. What you have to realize 9 times out of 10 he is acting on what the band has instructed him to do. U2 are human and YES, sometimes they do not feel like standing outside and signing autographs. However, they do typically make an effort to do it on most occassions.

I could have told you ahead of time going up to them IN the hotel as a big dont do. That is a hot button for their security because its viewed as invading their personal time/space. No different then going up to them while they were eating or something similiar. Its just not something you should do. They sign and take photos on their terms and security keeps it that way so they can try to maintain control . Regarding the blonde thing, I can guarantee you that was Bono's call all the way. Bono is Mr. "I have Time" and "sure I can give you a hug" when attractive females are around. :laugh:

I understand your dissappointment but I would not pin it on John. I would put it more on bad luck and/or bad timing.

Roland of Gilead said:
Personally, I think fans that go to the hotels that the band stay at are crossing a line I wouldn't dare cross. Obviously, there is nothing illegal about this. It is not a crime. I just wouldn't do it. That said, this is a price one pays for being a rock star and it is assumed that they should expect this behaviour. In fact, I would even go so far to suggest that when one becomes a rock star, you demand people to wait outside your hotel like ornaments on a Christmas tree. If no one is at U2's hotel, they might think they must suck. :wink:

Typically I agree. However, I was present at the venue one time when Bono arrived he said he had to get to soundcheck and didnt have time to sign. Then he said, come to the hotel tonight and we will be happy to sign and have photos taken. That is the only time I have gone to the hotel they were staying at. On Bono's invitation. Even then we all waited accross the street. U2's security (yes those same people that are being slammed in this thread) delivered pizza to all the fans waiting and then Bono and Edge came out and signed autographs and took photos for 30 to 40 minutes.

Blue Room said:

However, I was present at the venue one time when Bono arrived he said he had to get to soundcheck and didnt have time to sign. Then he said, come to the hotel tonight and we will be happy to sign and have photos taken. That is the only time I have gone to the hotel they were staying at. On Bono's invitation. Even then we all waited accross the street. U2's security (yes those same people that are being slammed in this thread) delivered pizza to all the fans waiting and then Bono and Edge came out and signed autographs and took photos for 30 to 40 minutes.

Nice! I had this once too, but Bono didn't show :( He said to meet him outside the lobby at 5pm, so we sat on the bench and waited...and waited...I dunno if he forgot or what, b/c later on he said he was in the hotel the whole time. Someone mentioned security had gone to Subway, so we figured he wasn't supposed to come out without John, which I agree with, so we left :shrug: It's kinda fun to be able to say you've been stood up by Bono!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom