U2 Security are a disgrace to the fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neilm said:
I think fans need to remember that just because they buy the records, wear the t-shirts and go to the shows, it entitles them to an autograph and/or a photo.
...... the Versace.........I wouldn't say it was a pleasant experience when Bono came out because people behaved like animals. It was disgraceful what some people would try and do just to get his attention. Pushing themselves in front of others, putting kids (born and unborn!) in front of his face when he was talking to somebody else...I was amazed at how well he took it and how calm he stayed the entire time and my actual meeting with him, albeit brief, was very positive (for me anyway). Additionally I also found John to be an alright bloke.

........ I heard from a very good source that towards the end of their stay at Versace, one or two of the band members had voiced their opinions about the ever growing crowds and how many of the same faces kept coming back every day - and those opinions were not complimentary. In fact on the Saturday, Bono and Larry almost moved from the Versace because of it.

If I hadn't of met any of them I wouldn't have been too disappointed because let's face it, you can't miss what you never had can you. Besides, as it has been widely said on this thread, it is the music that matters and I've been lucky enough to see U2 live many times.

Long live the music.

Just had to speak up on this one. I was outside the Versace on Saturday in the beautiful rain. I didn't think of it as loitering or stalking or lurking or harrassment of the band. A small group of us who obviously are devoted to the band gathered there. I can only speak for myself on this, but I have been respectfully devoted to U2 for over 20 years. They live and work on the other side of the world and here they were in my neighbourhood. I made a small sign to express my appreciation of them. If they had not appeared I would have not minded.The fellowship of meeting other U2 fans was so enjoyable. I could have not had that experience anywhere/anytime else.

I am really taken aback by the word "disgrace" used here in an attack on John. I personally love the man and thanked him for the great work he does. He and David were kind enough to come over and have a friendly chat, talking about motorbikes, Aussie sunshine, their dedication to the band. John advised us to come back at 2pm on Sunday, no mention of the band being upset and wanting to leave. I'm truly sorry if that is what was really going on.
I also made friends with one of the Australian security men ( he was doing the public safety work outside the Versace) I hope he won't be upset if I quote some of his email to me

"....Hope you had a great experience down at the Gold Coast and also at the
concert :))

We had a great day looking after you all and then followed it up with
what is probably the best concert I have seen or worked at. We saw a
number of fans who were down the coast Sunday at the concert and we
were lucky to also be in the Elipse section of the front barrier
directly in front of stage.

I hope the experience has left you with some lasting memories as it
has with me, as the fans at the signings made it so easy and also the
band appreciated the fact that they were so well behaved......."

Asset Protection Systems

There is no way in this wide old world I would do anything that I thought was disrespectful or hurtful towards U2, the band I love more than anything else. I took maybe 10 seconds of Bono's time ( even less of the others) Bono actually came back and said "thanks" to me.
:heart: :heart:

Just goes to show how people can view the same experience in different ways. I talked to the Versace security folks after U2 left for their soundcheck on Sunday. They said they had some trouble with some "guests". I saw some old boilers, tough old mutton thinking they were sweetest things trying to evade the concierge but I never saw any animal-like behaviour when Bono appeared. I think Neil m was referring to Thursday and I wasn't there then.
Of course my life would have continued on it's way without me having the opportunity to say "g'day" to U2, but I'm sure glad I met them.

I was very impressed with John's intelligence, observation skills and his devotion to the band. I sincerely hope he knows he is loved.

Here's video footage from the day in question I believe... it was filmed on Sunday 11.26.2006. John doesn't seem to be too irritated, but Larry does look like he might have been grumpy that day. In any event, this just shows how good the band is about meeting with as many fans as they can even if some of them ARE a little 'in their face'. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPl0GLWXTYc

Last edited:
Picture worth a thousand words?
Animal-like?
CT3.jpg

The Versace - Gold Coast -Sunday 5th November 2006

Man, I'd like to see that footage mentioned above. The 26th November is a special day for my family. I can't use youtube or internet video footage.
I wonder who the woman taking photos from the balcony in my photo is? I'd like to see some of those photos :wink:
It was so special having U2 in Australia.

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana, Hula i ka La
Mahola nui loa
to those people lucky enough to be gathering in Hawaii'i.

cass said:

I saw some old boilers, tough old mutton thinking they were sweetest things trying to evade the concierge

Great post and I agree on you with everything until here :mad: The "tough old boilers" were probably the ones that supported this band from the start and may have never had the chance to meet them before, and although their behaviour may not have been the best, there's really no need to be so personally disparaging. As they say at Zootopia please be kind to the dinosaurs :)

I was lucky enough to meet Bono in Melbourne in a small group at TelstraDome and although I was disappointed that John seemed to be rushing Bono (obviously Bono had a meeting of some sort lined up but still stopped to say hi) he was truly a gentleman.

I didnt bother attempting to meet the band, I was more concerned with getting good spots in the "ellipse" for the shows. I know that you may be dissapointed but it has happened to all of us. When I was younger I was a huge KISS fan (still am) and waited at the hotel in Melbourne for a little bit in an attempt to meet Gene Simmons. His security guard came out and saw that we were fans. He immediately came up to us and we had a cool chat for a half hour or so about the band, the tour and most interestingly, the role of security for the band. He said that most bands he has worked for love to sign autographs, mingle with fans and take photos because at the end of the day they pay the bills. He said the hardest part of his job was managing the fans. It may look like only a few people are waiting outside the venue/hotel, but as soon as the band comes out people come out of thin air. He said that his job was to protect the band, not to hand out numbers or manage a group of fans. Most interesting was that he said that once he feels the crowd is getting a bit bigger or out of hand, he will pull the band out immediately. Also, if the crowd is full of overexcited or screaming fans he will just move the band on.

Its securities job to protect the band. Bonos just a person, and i dont want him ending up like Mr Lennon

gr@cie said:

Great post and I agree on you with everything until here :mad: The "tough old boilers" were probably the ones that supported this band from the start and may have never had the chance to meet them before, and although their behaviour may not have been the best, there's really no need to be so personally disparaging. As they say at Zootopia please be kind to the dinosaurs :)

the reference to lamb, mutton and old chooks wasn't personal. I was just trying to make reference to the earlier post about people behaving like animals. They were the closet thing I saw to anything that could be described in that way.
I myself am an old duck (closer to 46 than 45) and a fan from the early days. I really did feel like an elder amongst the crew I standing near. I knew the details about U2's career and was able to share stories and give books to the younger newer fans. Great memories to cherish.
So no, it wasn't anything disparaging or personal and the women I was referring to did appear to be the suffering the effects of alcohol. It was sad really.
I'll just waddle off back to where I came from.
Merry Christmas y'all **quack quack**

u2wedge said:
Here's video footage from the day in question I believe... it was filmed on Sunday 11.26.2006. John doesn't seem to be too irritated, but Larry does look like he might have been grumpy that day. In any event, this just shows how good the band is about meeting with as many fans as they can even if some of them ARE a little 'in their face'. :wink:

QUOTE]

The footage is actually from the Hyatt in Auckland on the Sunday.

I was staying there but was back in Oz by then.

Just on the "negative" comments about John. I was fortunate enough to meet him about 6-7 times over the weeks of the OZ / NZ shows....I have nothing but praise for him. Anyone who wants to say negative things is barking up the wrong tree.

My final meeting with John was in the early morning after the 2nd NZ show...he shook my hand & then it was proceeded by Bono shaking my hand....what a way to end my 9 show experience...oh larry had a brief chat to me to about 20mins later:)

The band, U2 Security owe us nothing!!!! Meeting the band etc is a game of chance....sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I will say this however the media outside their Auckland hotel were a disgrace! I had one photographer come up to me after he'd stuck a lense in the window of Adam's car ask me who was that? Pfft....I said to him that if he were a true fan he should know.

To all of the U2 security team (including Scotty) thank you so much for the opportunity to mix with this awesome band. Most of us appreciate the job you guys do & have to do.

Rock On!

From the pictures, it seems like the hotel was being pretty reasonable about letting fans get that close. It is private property of a very upscale sort, and many hotels of that sort around the world would not let onlookers anywhere near the door (although the fans that bought hotel rooms certainly had a right to be there.)

Perhaps the band thought by initially staying somewhere out of the cities, that would cut down on crowds. Wrong guess, obviously. On the other hand, they could use a back entrance and they didn't.

Anyone having a go at security needs to chill out. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with hanging around outside their hotels as long as it's with the U2s and the hotels' blessing.

But they simply won't be able to get round to everyone all of the time. I'm sure they do all they can but like the rest of us they must simply have something more pressing to attend to sometimes.

cass said:

I am really taken aback by the word "disgrace" used here in an attack on John. I personally love the man and thanked him for the great work he does. He and David were kind enough to come over and have a friendly chat, talking about motorbikes, Aussie sunshine, their dedication to the band. John advised us to come back at 2pm on Sunday, no mention of the band being upset and wanting to leave. I'm truly sorry if that is what was really going on.

"....Hope you had a great experience down at the Gold Coast and also at the
concert :))

Just goes to show how people can view the same experience in different ways. I talked to the Versace security folks after U2 left for their soundcheck on Sunday. They said they had some trouble with some "guests". I saw some old boilers, tough old mutton thinking they were sweetest things trying to evade the concierge but I never saw any animal-like behaviour when Bono appeared. I think Neil m was referring to Thursday and I wasn't there then.
Of course my life would have continued on it's way without me having the opportunity to say "g'day" to U2, but I'm sure glad I met them.

I was very impressed with John's intelligence, observation skills and his devotion to the band. I sincerely hope he knows he is loved.

Hey Cass, yes I was referring to the Thursday. You'll have to take my word for it though because I can't be bothered to single out particular incidents!!! However I can assure you that it was a small minority and their behaviour was piss poor. No respect for anyone else - fans, security, other hotel guests or the band and that is, pretty sad. Whether you are a huge fan or not, and I am one, you should still use manners and have respect, as by reading your accounts, you do. U2 have been my idols since I was 11 years old and I waited patiently outside the hotel grounds (until we were invited to wait around the side area of the 'pick up/drop off area by John) all day to meet them and when I had the chance to, I conducted myself properly by waiting my turn and asking politely if they wouldn't mind signing my U2 by U2 book, which they all did.

In regards to John, I think he does a brilliant job. It's certainly not an easy one. Nice guy too.

With the hotel, maybe it was a mix of the two - problem guests and the increasing crowds outside? I don't know. I was told that it was Bono and one other band member who were considered being moved on the Saturday, but I didn't push my friend for further information on that one.

gerrycan said:
QUOTE]

I will say this however the media outside their Auckland hotel were a disgrace! I had one photographer come up to me after he'd stuck a lense in the window of Adam's car ask me who was that? Pfft....I said to him that if he were a true fan he should know.

Rock On! [/B]

Ha ha ha, I have a similar story. Whilst standing outside the Versace, Summer from Channel 10 (who used me as a U2 Q&A guy all day) and her camera man asked me if I wouldn't mind looking a piece of footage and identifying whether or not it was one of the band. Up comes this footage of some blonde guy, with a pot belly, lying on a sun bed by the pool. I just started laughing and told them that unless Larry had stacked on a few pounds since March, it definately wasn't a member of U2!!

gerrycan said:

:huh:

What makes you think the photographer was a fan of any kind -- true or otherwise? He was most likely sent there to get pics for whatever publication employs him and not because he cares for them.

I do think he should have had a clue who he was taking pictures of, but only because it's his business to know that, not because he's a fan.

Gerry, what you doin' here???:wave:

Indra, I was with Gerry on that day and the photographer was a freelancer. While he had as much right to be there as everyone else, what pissed me off was the 'in your face' behaviour of the media that effectively caused Larry and Adam to leap straight into their cars and away. This, after John had told us that they would come out and greet the small number of well-behaved fans as long as we kept cool etc. was a mighty piss-off.

I don't blame John or the band one single bit for making decisions like this. John was unfailingly polite and friendly on the several times we bumped into him, as were Brian and Scott. They have a job to do, and IMHO they do it very well.

Hi Gerry!! :wave: :hug:

All I can say is that security were awesome in NZ....we had reasonable expectations in that we understood if they wouldn't let the guys meet us if things got silly, or had to cut things short because of time - it comes with the territory. We got many smiles from security, and our experience (me, Effanbee and Slopsy) was that you get what you give.....so long as everyone else in the crowd behaves!!! Not once was foot ever set on the hotel property....THAT would be crossing lines, but we were fortunate enough to have a chance meeting, totally unprompted by us, with Larry on their first night in NZ.....he TOLD US to keep coming back to try and meet the other guys and get Bono to sign a hat I have.....couldn't see him saying that if he had a problem with fans outside hotels. I think at the end of the day, you just do what feels ok for you. If you don't agree with waiting outside hotels (obviously not on their property!), then that's fine. If you do feel you want to try your luck, and luck is all it really boils down to, then sure, wait outside the hotel, but be respectful at all times.....it worked for us, and the best part was that when Larry saw us again he was genuinely happy to come and say hi and see how our luck was going!

I feel sorry for people who have negative experiences, but I in no way blame security who are only doing their job.

Effanbee said:
Indra, I was with Gerry on that day and the photographer was a freelancer. While he had as much right to be there as everyone else, what pissed me off was the 'in your face' behaviour of the media that effectively caused Larry and Adam to leap straight into their cars and away. This, after John had told us that they would come out and greet the small number of well-behaved fans as long as we kept cool etc. was a mighty piss-off.

I didn't phrase my previous comment very well. What I was trying to say is that a professional photographer -- whether freelance or employed by a paper or magazine -- likely only sees U2 as a paycheck. U2 could be anyone to them. As long as someone will pay for the photos they will be there pushing for the shot.

Sucks for fans, but the photographers aren't fans and don't really give a crap.

Yes, I agree, Indra - I wasn't having a go at you :wink: just wanted to emphasise our positive experience with all the security staff, U2 and hotel.

Leebonoman96 said:
I have to say that some of you are missing the point. Im not being petty at all and I understand most of you must defend the band and security. I also understand U2 have to keep to a busy time table. Im not having a big sook because I was unlucky and spent time trying to get a photo or autograph outside a hotel or wherever. Ive met the whole band in Australia and in the states before and they were fine. What im shitty about, and this is not just for me but for my mates and the others who missed out this time around was the fact on 2 occasions John Sampson told the fans to relax and not push because the band would get to everybody. We are fairly well built blokes and especially in Melbourne we were happy for the women and kids to greet Bono first. Now I must tell you we only stood back and were not pushy was beacause he said that. The reason why we are so disappointed was in Melbourne he pulled Bono away short of about 10 people including us after saying it and stoped Adam with about 6 to go on the Gold Coast after saying it. If he didnt say a word I would say "oh well, bad luck maybe next time". Like I said in my previous post I was more disappointed for the kids who missed out.

If Hotels should be off limits no artist would come out and meet fans anywhere around the world, They do and this will never change. Imagine if fans were not waiting around outside Hotels, they would be shocked and wonder whats going on.

Anyway Im still going to Hawaii, I will still support U2. I just hope in future if U2 or security tell the fans something they stick to it.

The whole point is to get as many people away from the hotel and hope they leave. They want some free time to themselves. They satisfy their fans and quickly go back to relaxing in the hotel room. Hotels should be off limits. No doubt about it. Other bands if they have crowds, either they satisfy the autograph hounds or stalkers and then hope they leave. If not security gets strict. Hotels off limits. Entertainers are Talent. Talent can't be harrassed. Talent has to take some measures like I was working Tenacious D a night or 2 nights ago. Speaking to the production manager for the tour that I know very well, guest who comes walking our way to the loading dock to wave and greet about 50 fans. Jack Black with his wife in a stroller. Fact was that I was looking down from a truck and there was no baby in the stroller. Jack Black told the crowd to be quiet and he can't sign because of the baby. Talent needs to get away from harrassment. Just perform and thats the bottom line.:wink:

What I love about these types of threads is how there are always a few people who berate the initial posting as generally being shameful...and then in the same post there is an explanantion of how their OWN stalking qualifies as less embarrassing. Wonderful! I especially love the "I was just walking past some unnamed hotel one day, when all of a sudden John Sampson and then Bono popped out to talk to me!".

John does his job rather well, and I will give him a thumbs up. I worked a show on a recent tour, and at one point found myself talking to the wonderful personal chef ladies for the band at the place where the band walk from their dressing room to the stage. With the show starting, John led the way by about 20 feet. I stepped forward with a handshake to wish him (John) luck that night, and asked if I could stand there and watch. Interestingly enough, he actually said that the band prefer not to have people/crew just standing there and watching - I'd feel like an idiot too! With a "No prob, John!", I disappeared into the room I was setting up. Thankfully, I had access to a curtain, from behind which I got to secretly watch the band walk by. A neat sight to absorb.

This being said, without a doubt the kids should have been taken care of - I can't see Bono knowingly walk away from a child who could be left with a lifelong moment to cherish and perhaps be given a source of inspiration to make a difference in our world. That last sentence sounded really lame, but you know what I mean.

I did not have any knowledge that John has worked with Bono for 19 years; he certainly has not been on U2's security detail since 1992. I thought he had been with NoDoubt/GwenStefani from their start. Those of us "old boilers" from the ZooTV era will remember mainly the demigod of Band Security, 'Uncle Jerry' Mele, with his underlings Darryl Ives, Tim Ross and Dave Guyer (the only one remaining on the team, altho technically, he is hired privately by Larry). My how I miss those old days hanging outside of their hotels; stalking has provided me with so many U2 memories! One evening, an older couple headed into the hotel and I immediately jumped off the curb and shouted "Oh my GOD! Oh wait...it's just Edge's parents...", in a sarcastic tone. It was his parents, and I got a nice laugh out of them. In a less-thrilling episode, I was having Larry sign a photo of him when I asked "could you please put the date on it?". It was the evening of his birthday, and I just wanted some memory of that occasion. Larry actually stopped signing and gave me that fuckoffanddie look of death, as if I had crossed some line. Larry has indeed been an ass before (to others I've seen over the years), but alas, that is a completely different thread; this is all about John Sampson after all!

To the person who started this thread: I believe what you needed to do was to approach John inside your expensive hotel at some point during those eight hours - he had to have been around somewhere - to explain that you were indeed paid guests there, but that you wondered if you could get a pic or autograph as Bono walked thru the lobby of your/their hotel. If he knew the situation beforehand, he likely would have catered to your polite request; without him knowing you, to him you were just a fan who had somehow gotten past hotel security to be waiting in a place that you should not have been in...even though you were indeed legit.

newworldorder we had thought of approaching john throughout the day. We firstly saw him when we were at breakfast. he was alone eating so we didnt want to bother him. Later in the day we saw him again, he looked busy as if the band were due out so in honesty we let it be again. However I know he saw us and thats why we are so disappointed with him. Alot of people may have had a good experience with the band and security, and truly we are happy for you, but some of us didn't and that is the purpose of this post. thanks

Last edited:
newworldorder said:
What I love about these types of threads is how there are always a few people who berate the initial posting as generally being shameful...and then in the same post there is an explanantion of how their OWN stalking qualifies as less embarrassing. Wonderful! I especially love the "I was just walking past some unnamed hotel one day, when all of a sudden John Sampson and then Bono popped out to talk to me!".

Well, if you're referring to what I said, I'll give you a more detailed explanation: We went out on a walk looking for a bathroom and a place that was open so we could buy a donut and some coffee. Since we were in small-town midwest, it never even crossed our minds that Bono would stay in a hotel on the same block as the venue, or even in this town (we assumed he'd fly in the day-of from a bigger city). So we went out walking past an Embassy Suites hotel, which was NEXT TO the venue so yeah, we HAD to walk past it in order to get to the next block, we weren't going by to stalk. John Sampson came out so we said hi as we were going by (as we would to any person, stranger or someone we knew) and he said if we wanted to meet Bono we could. Who in their right mind would say no to that? We didn't go in the hotel, we weren't even on the hotel sidewalk, we were out by the street and waited where he told us to stand. Bono shook our hands, and we went off to get our breakfast.

Maybe where you're from walking past a random hotel in search of a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts qualifies as stalking.... :scratch:

I do feel bad for you that you had such bad luck. It does come down to bad lack/timing .

I've seen John outside a few shows in the US and Canada, never spoke to him but he seemed a very nice guy, my friends who have met him all said he was nice. He even got a family that were stood together an took a "family pic" of them with Bono. ( this was 20th September as Liesje mentioned in Chicago) Bono and Edge signed that day and to say there were so many people there they signed for alot of people. I was one of the unlucky ones that day. The day after Edges bodyguard made sure me and my friend got to meet him as it was my birthday that day. I have spoken to him a few times since and hes a nice guy too. :heart:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the security, they are nice guys who work really hard to protect the band and also the fans.

It simply is hit and miss wether you meet them. Out of the 4 shows i waited outside last year, i only met Edge at that 1 show in Chicago.

Have since managed to meet Adam and Larry in London, but anywhere you try to meet them its just taking a chance. Some are lucky, some aren't.

I do feel sorry for the kids. Sometimes things just happen that way though. I hope you and the others who miss out including the kids get another chance to meet them. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom