U2 Security are a disgrace to the fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liesje said:

Nice! I had this once too, but Bono didn't show :( He said to meet him outside the lobby at 5pm, so we sat on the bench and waited...and waited...I dunno if he forgot or what, b/c later on he said he was in the hotel the whole time. Someone mentioned security had gone to Subway, so we figured he wasn't supposed to come out without John, which I agree with, so we left :shrug: It's kinda fun to be able to say you've been stood up by Bono!

Cool!!!:wink:

Liesje said:

Nice! I had this once too, but Bono didn't show :( He said to meet him outside the lobby at 5pm, so we sat on the bench and waited...and waited...I dunno if he forgot or what, b/c later on he said he was in the hotel the whole time. Someone mentioned security had gone to Subway, so we figured he wasn't supposed to come out without John, which I agree with, so we left :shrug: It's kinda fun to be able to say you've been stood up by Bono!

My guess is he just forgot. Typically he has to tell John to remind him to do something like that and if he didnt tell John, he probably forgot.

Here is the proof from my experience. U2's security, what a bunch of bastards!! :wink:

0d76ffae.jpg

d38e4368.jpg

Liesje said:

Yeah, it comes w/ the territory!

:laugh: Nothing says West Michigan like the dinner crowd at Russ's. :lol: My Grandmother was from Rotterdam, she came to America when she was 8. So if there was any doubt........... I also have a pair of wooden shoes someplace. :shifty:

Oh, yes, the invitation and pizza thing happened on Popmart. There was actually a blurb about the pizza thing in People or Time magazine. (I cant remember which)

Blue Room said:

:laugh: Nothing says West Michigan like the dinner crowd at Russ's. :lol: My Grandmother was from Rotterdam, she came to America when she was 8. So if there was any doubt........... I also have a pair of wooden shoes someplace. :shifty:

Russ' broccoli cheese soup is my favorite food ever :drool: Every thing else is nasty and they are so cheap and stingey (go figure) but I know the fam that owns it and they give great scholarships to their high school employees, so I try to buy lots of soup.

We could be related.... :shifty:

Liesje said:

We could be related.... :shifty:

:yikes: :laugh: :wink: Possible, but I doubt it. Being Dutch in West Michigan is about like being Irish in Dublin.

Oh, and I dont hate Russ's. I havent eaten there in a long time, but in college, the price was right and the food isnt that bad. Its a highly conservative Dutch clientel making up a large portion of the dining area there. :laugh:

I think that the Hotel is off limits. I consider it harrassment to go to a bands hotel and wait for them. In the business its called harrassing talent. The question is do you have talent going to U2's hotel? No further questions asked. Hotel off limits.

I have been passed by Bono in 2001 trying to get his autograph. No biggie I rather have a picture and I screwed up in Las Vegas last year but still no biggie. Venue its ok to wait for them, but at their hotel, no.

Sampson would say this quote "Time to Go Home Kiddies" To the person who made this thread Sampson has to remember alot of people but you must have rush to the front, pushed people to get to Edge or Adam, stood out or someone complained about you. Thats why you were singled out. Sampson is a Pro. He couldn't handle Axl Rose earlier this year but he can handle Bono.:wink:

I think fans need to remember that just because they buy the records, wear the t-shirts and go to the shows, it entitles them to an autograph and/or a photo. I know of so many incidents where a 'star' has been approached by a 'fan' and told the 'fan' to "fuck off" or something along those lines. The 'fan' then spreads the story but fails to explain that they interupted the 'star' whilst he was with his family or having a pint with some friends.

It's interesting to see one or two on here who were frequent (positive) posters on the 'U2 Aussie Hotel' threads saying that being outside a hotel as wrong.

I was actually one who said I would never do it, but I thought sod it and I went to the Versace on the Thursday morning. First fan there and eventually got to meet all four members of the band. I got 4 handshakes, four autographs and four small 'conversations.' I went home smiling as I got to meet my idols of a long time. There was only about 15-20 of us who met Edge and Adam but when word spread Bono was coming out in 45 minutes there was about 80-100 people there. I wouldn't say it was a pleasant experience when Bono came out because people behaved like animals. It was disgraceful what some people would try and do just to get his attention. Pushing themselves in front of others, putting kids (born and unborn!) in front of his face when he was talking to somebody else...I was amazed at how well he took it and how calm he stayed the entire time and my actual meeting with him, albeit brief, was very positive (for me anyway). Additionally I also found John to be an alright bloke.

I could have loitered outside the hotel for another four days like some others did, but firstly I had already broken my 'no loitering' rule (that was the first and last time I have done something like that), secondly I'm not an obsessed weirdo, and thirdly I have a life of my own to live. I heard from a very good source that towards the end of their stay at Versace, one or two of the band members had voiced their opinions about the ever growing crowds and how many of the same faces kept coming back every day - and those opinions were not complimentary. In fact on the Saturday, Bono and Larry almost moved from the Versace because of it.

The fact remains that people knocking about outside hotels to meet rock stars has been happening for decades. Whether anyone likes it or not, it won't stop and the 'rock stars' know it is something that comes with the territory and most, including U2 do not mind doing the meet and greet bit from time to time.

I'm certainly not endorsing the whole waiting outside bit either. I did it, albeit once, so I'm guilty as charged but I'm also not a serial offender and as I've said, it's not something I would ever want to do again. Where it becomes totally unacceptable though is when people enter the hotel to find them, stop them on the street, interrupt them when they are with family & friends or worse, loiter outside their houses.

If I hadn't of met any of them I wouldn't have been too disappointed because let's face it, you can't miss what you never had can you. Besides, as it has been widely said on this thread, it is the music that matters and I've been lucky enough to see U2 live many times.

Long live the music.

neilm said:

I wouldn't say it was a pleasant experience when Bono came out because people behaved like animals. It was disgraceful what some people would try and do just to get his attention. Pushing themselves in front of others, putting kids (born and unborn!) in front of his face when he was talking to somebody else...

:( some people just do not have any shame! That's really sad and embarrasing.

In all my years of U2-fanship, I've never met any of the guys .. as lovely as it would be just to say hi and thank them. I just don't think that I would go out of my way to do so by spending an inordinate time hanging around some hotel or other place. That's not to say I don't agree with other folks doing the same (though, the hotel thing is just a teensy bit ..... icky!) and I really love hearing about people's good experiences here.

I just feel kinda sorry for them sometimes. I know they've gotta be used to it by now and it just comes with the job and they probably do get a kick out of meeting so many people all over the world. It just must be the most bizarre existance.

Yes, they are the world's biggest rock stars and we all adore them ... but they're still human beings. As disappointing as it would be to JUST miss out on saying hi to Bono and the boys, don't take it personally. Give 'em a break .. they deserve it.

Long live the music indeed!

hcbiggs2002 said:

Oh so this is a pic taken by you? I found this photo posted on another U2 forum some time ago, and uploaded onto my photobucket account!! :wink: Always wondered who took the photo, fantastic shot!! :drool:

someone's stealing my pictures, eh? i should sue! this is why i should just horde the pictures for myself, not share them with anyone and only trade them for other good pictures...

:bonodrum: boom tish :wink:

My mom is from Grand Rapids but I'm not Dutch -- actually Russian on her side. My grandfather and uncles were cabinet makers (it's Sofa City, after all!)

As far as security goes, John and his crew have a tough job. They have to put the band first, and sometimes that means disappointing people. Keep in mind that there are a lot of nuts out there that could do them real harm. Just look at what happened to the Russian spy as an example.

But from the stories that abound on these boards, U2 seem to bend over backwards to be available to their fans as time permits. People at their level are rarely so accommodating.

to the OP:

After all that U2 security has done to make the ellipse experience as great as it is for the fans, not only on this tour, but for Elevation as well, it sounds petty for you to post something like this. Expecting the band to be able to accommodate every single fan who wants an autograph is unrealistic and to call security or the band out on it is lame.

u2wedge said:
to the OP:

After all that U2 security has done to make the ellipse experience as great as it is for the fans, not only on this tour, but for Elevation as well, it sounds petty for you to post something like this. Expecting the band to be able to accommodate every single fan who wants an autograph is unrealistic and to call security or the band out on it is lame.

I agree with ya 100%...:up:

this is petty to expect that they should accomodate all fans who are waiting for them.. we are so lucky that they treat us like gold as they do.. They certainly don't have to come out and greet us and really take the time to talk with us and are so willing and able to agree to our requests. Even in between tours they go out of their way to greet us..
A U2 fan emailed me last year to tell me about his story on meeting.. no let me correct that bumping into Bono in DC by the Capitol. He and his wife were walking past the Capitol one day and lo ahd behold Bono and Paul McGuinness came walking out. So he waved hello to Bono and Bono motioned him over and they chatted for few minutes then Paul M.. took a picture of them with Bono..
Now that is what these guys are like..so down to earth, humble and just plain nice. If you have ever met Bono.. he totally engages you in conversation and truely listens while looking you directly in the eye..to me that is amazing..and truely the example of a wonderful human being..!

Now..a different example is Thom Yorke of Radiohead.. He talks to the fans but Refuses to allow fans to take pictures of him.. That's his perogative I guess.. And maybe he has some hangups about it..

The guy's doing his job. I can understand the disappointment in following the band around and around and having the same thing happen to you, but life is like that sometimes. I was on fuckin' cloud nine to just hand a ticket to Edge through a crowd of people and be lucky enough for him to sign it for me and say a nice word to him.

I can imagine being security for U2 is like being a sheep herder. At least for Bono and Edge. At some point they just have to get going and have to leave a location. If fans are really antsy and pushy, then the band may not show or stay long. It's random, it happens.

hey, if i am lucky enough to meet a band member one day, i'll be happy. but honestly, i think that headache said it best, i also am familiar with the place in nyc where bono has an apartment/condo and every time i walk by i do give a little glance in the lobby, but that's it. i keep on walking by. i like the mark chapman reference by the way. no offense, but hanging out hours before a concert is fun and innocent, but its entirely different camping out at a hotel that, as others have said, is their home. it's kinda like getting home after a hard day's work and having about a half dozen telemarketers calling you at dinner time. it doesn't necessarily hurt you, but it does get annoying after awhile. god bless the do not call list!!! now imagine you just played a show in front of tens of thousands of people some of whom have been frantically grabbing at you and sapping all your energy away and get back to the one place where you can somewhat relax and there are yet another bunch of people who have been sitting there all day long jumping for you. i consider myself a patient person, but that would definitely test my patience.

jonnytakeawalk said:
I really dont undertand why people conisider lining up outside the bands hotel room to be stalkerish. I mean if the band really had a problem with it they wouldnt be giving any autographs to people outside the hotel at all.

Because many times the band have family with them or are entertaining personal guests. How would you like it if every time you tried to leave your house with a kid in each arm, there were two dozen people pushing each other to take your picture and thrusting CD covers in your face?

Also, many hotels don't allow loitering on their property, so you're not only being a nuisance to the band, you're pissing off the hotel staff and getting in the way of paying guests.

It's such a double standard, because then like we see here people criticize them for not stopping for fans or sneaking out the back.

jonnytakeawalk said:
I really dont undertand why people conisider lining up outside the bands hotel room to be stalkerish.

Man if people were lining up inside their hotel rooms that would be super freaky.

I have to say that some of you are missing the point. Im not being petty at all and I understand most of you must defend the band and security. I also understand U2 have to keep to a busy time table. Im not having a big sook because I was unlucky and spent time trying to get a photo or autograph outside a hotel or wherever. Ive met the whole band in Australia and in the states before and they were fine. What im shitty about, and this is not just for me but for my mates and the others who missed out this time around was the fact on 2 occasions John Sampson told the fans to relax and not push because the band would get to everybody. We are fairly well built blokes and especially in Melbourne we were happy for the women and kids to greet Bono first. Now I must tell you we only stood back and were not pushy was beacause he said that. The reason why we are so disappointed was in Melbourne he pulled Bono away short of about 10 people including us after saying it and stoped Adam with about 6 to go on the Gold Coast after saying it. If he didnt say a word I would say "oh well, bad luck maybe next time". Like I said in my previous post I was more disappointed for the kids who missed out.

If Hotels should be off limits no artist would come out and meet fans anywhere around the world, They do and this will never change. Imagine if fans were not waiting around outside Hotels, they would be shocked and wonder whats going on.

Anyway Im still going to Hawaii, I will still support U2. I just hope in future if U2 or security tell the fans something they stick to it.

Last edited:
To be honest, my expectations are pretty low when it comes to this kind of stuff.

My impression is U2 and crew are very gracious, far more so than I would be. I saw Larry out signing autographs before the show on Weds. (I would have got one but I was walking on an upper level outside the arena and he was on the ground floor). And I don't know. . .it just kinda struck me. . .How do they do it? How do they do what they do? Deal with thousands of adoring people. . .all the frickin time?!? I really think I if I was them I'd just ignore everybody all the time just for the sake of my sanity. That they make the efforts they do is really admirable and remarkable.

That said I don't want to sound callous to the feelings of the OP. I know that must be frustrating. . .but I don't think it was meant personally.

Leebonoman96 said:
What im shitty about, and this is not just for me but for my mates and the others who missed out this time around was the fact on 2 occasions John Sampson told the fans to relax and not push because the band would get to everybody. We are fairly well built blokes and especially in Melbourne we were happy for the women and kids to greet Bono first. Now I must tell you we only stood back and were not pushy was beacause he said that. The reason why we are so disappointed was in Melbourne he pulled Bono away short of about 10 people including us after saying it and stoped Adam with about 6 to go on the Gold Coast after saying it. If he didnt say a word I would say "oh well, bad luck maybe next time". Like I said in my previous post I was more disappointed for the kids who missed out.

Well, Sampson's duty is to protect the band. I'm sure he's not doing this because he takes sick pleasure in breaking kids' hearts. What you described has happened to just about every Interferencer I know at some point in time. Sure, Bono may have time for two dozen people, but the second he steps out, twice as many people start to gather and it gets out of hand. I've notice on occasions that once the crowd gets to a certain point, Sampson's mood visibly changes and he'll pull Bono back mid-autograph if he has to. That's his job, how can we turn that against him? If he weren't doing his job as a security guard, then we could criticize him. You can't take his word for it knowing that he can't see into the future and has no clue how the situation will develop.

You win some, you lose some.

We're not missing the point. When you start a thread saying U2's security are a disgrace, you'd better have some pretty solid evidence that they aren't doing their job....

Leebonoman96 said:
I have to say that some of you are missing the point. Im not being petty at all and I understand most of you must defend the band and security. I also understand U2 have to keep to a busy time table. Im not having a big sook because I was unlucky and spent time trying to get a photo or autograph outside a hotel or wherever. Ive met the whole band in Australia and in the states before and they were fine. What im shitty about, and this is not just for me but for my mates and the others who missed out this time around was the fact on 2 occasions John Sampson told the fans to relax and not push because the band would get to everybody. We are fairly well built blokes and especially in Melbourne we were happy for the women and kids to greet Bono first. Now I must tell you we only stood back and were not pushy was beacause he said that. The reason why we are so disappointed was in Melbourne he pulled Bono away short of about 10 people including us after saying it and stoped Adam with about 6 to go on the Gold Coast after saying it. If he didnt say a word I would say "oh well, bad luck maybe next time". Like I said in my previous post I was more disappointed for the kids who missed out.

If Hotels should be off limits no artist would come out and meet fans anywhere around the world, They do and this will never change. Imagine if fans were not waiting around outside Hotels, they would be shocked and wonder whats going on.

Anyway Im still going to Hawaii, I will still support U2. I just hope in future if U2 or security tell the fans something they stick to it.

I dont really have a problem if fans want to wait OUTSIDE the hotel or accross the street from it. I'm borderline still on doing that and I have only done it once, as indicated, because Bono said it was ok and invited us to be there. If the band didnt want fans their they would never stop and sign as someone else indicated. Where you made your mistake though was when you indicated you approached Edge INSIDE the hotel. U2 and their security are always going to have a problem with that. I cant say I blame them. Again, John is doing his job. I doubt he had some type of conspiracy against you. But if the inside the hotel thing was the first thing that happened, he may have remembered you and it would be a negative memory to him. So it could have had something to do with it.

As Larry was about to sign John Sampson came over and said to Larry 'This guy hasn't been waiting out here all day dont sign". After waiting so long to see these guys Larry then turned to me and said "Right, then he can go to the end of the line". I waited almost all day and 8 years to cop that.

If this is actually true, I would find that a bit shocking to tell you the truth. Regardless of how long a fan was standing in line, they WERE there to get an autograph, and even if you WEREN'T standing there all day, like you said, you've been waiting 8 years to see the band. So I'll give you that. I obviously don't know Larry however his response seems out of character from what I do know about his philosophy on fan appreciation. Did you say anything to him after he said this to you?

I still think hanging out for 8+ hours for an autograph is completely crazy, but if that's what you want to do with your time, that's your prerogative! I think you might have just been a victim of your own enthusiasm.

Last edited:
U2wedge it did happen and I will never forget it. Of course in the morning we didnt expect to wait so many hours but they didnt come out till around 3 or 4 and i guess the time just got away from us.

Back
Top Bottom