U2: Sacrificing Concert Quality To Avoid The "Nostalgia Act/ Tribute Band" Label?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
U2: Sacrificing Concert Quality To Avoid The "Nostalgia Act/ Tribute Band" Label?

From the outset, it seems U2 have been trying hard - actually trying way too hard - to avoid being labelled a nostaligia act or to being their own tribute band.

In an effort to avoid the label of "Greatest Hits Tour" or being a "mere nostalgia act" U2 seem move heaven and earth to avoid playing the greatest of their hits like With Or Without You, Desire, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, All I Want Is You, or even the perennial fan live favorites like Bad and Until The End Of The World. Instead, we have to deal with second or third rate songs like Zoo Station, The Cry/Electric Co, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, or Running To Stand Still.

Some would argue that these songs are tailored for the hardcore fans in the shows. I don't buy that argument. Sure, hardcore fans would love to hear some old songs played again or other songs never played live. The surveys show Acrobat, Ultraviolet, Red Hill Mining Town, or Gone at the top of the list. But when you see U2 trading With Or Without You and Bad for Electric Co and The Ocean - then you know something is wrong with the picture.

U2 are just trying too hard to avoid being a nostaligia act. They avoid the excesses of Zoo TV and Popmart, they try not to be overly intimate as Elevation (no band introductions or acoustic sets this tour save for Yahweh). They even try to avoid the customary red screen of Streets.

But U2 clearly have no achieved their objectives. They have a tour that has no distinguishing theme (like the irony of Zoo TV, the excesses of Popmart, or the intimacy of Elevation). It like a distant cold (un-intimate) version of Elevation Tour that has more lesser songs than Greatest Hits.

Elevation celebrated the return of the full band Sunday Bloody Sunday on the setlist for the first time since the early Zoo TV days. Vertigo celebrates the return of The Ocean. Now that's a world of difference.

The band don't seem to add anything to their older songs, especially their hits. It seems like they are going through the motions. Bono sings totally off-key some nights. The timing is off, they seem underrehearsed and unprofessional. THe lyrics are forgotten too much.

When U2 launch into Electric Co and its pairing Boy song (whether The Ocean or An Cat Dubh), it is automatically the restrom or hotdog stand break for the audience. No one really pays attention.

By intentionally evading their greatest hits in favor of obscure songs, and by intentionally avoiding long-standing concert traditions (such as red streets screen), U2 try to hard to avoid being their own tribute band. But in trying so hard to do so, they fail miserably and make the public actually want U2 to be a tribute band already. They'd rather have another version of a huge U2 hit over a crude version of an unkown song like The Ocean.

U2 have truly sacrificed their concert quality.

Cheers,

J

wow yet another POSITIVE thread by jick

you seem to express YOUR opinions like that are fact which just isnt true

i agree with some of what Jick says.
i do love the older Boy era songs, but not at the expense of Stay, Bad, Until the end of the World, etc....
at the same time though, im going to love a U2 concert no matter what they play.

So we can assume that you've at least been to a few shows, right jick? After all, such bold statements should be based on events you have actually witnessed and not what you've read or heard in downloaded shows.

When U2 launch into Electric Co and its pairing Boy song (whether The Ocean or An Cat Dubh), it is automatically the restrom or hotdog stand break for the audience. No one really pays attention.

And you actually saw this happen? Because from where I sat at 3 shows, the majority of people loved that part of the set, even if they weren't totally familiar with the songs.

jick you write too much words to say allmost nothing:huh:

i think you just like the way words interact with each other
but you have to be carefull, exactly as dorian gray couldn't look to his own picture you shouldn't look to your own words too carefully to not became to desapointed with truth.

P.S anyway i agreed that this tour have somethings to be criticized but about set lists it's impossible to everyone to agree

Jick, most of the time I can tolerate your writings, but I'm getting tired of your bullshit.

You can't expect to carry any legitimacy when you criticize the quality of a show you haven't seen.

:down: :down:

PS. Calling Running To Stand Still a second or third rate song automatically invalidates whatever you write after it.

Last edited:
Personally, I am really glad Running to stand still is back, as well as The fly and Zoo station. Loved hearing Electric co. but I would say An cat dubh/Into the heart combo is maybe a bit slow for their set and so many fast paced songs.

As for avoiding the hits, U2 stopped playing With or without you early in the third leg on the last tour and brought I still haven't found on that leg. (these two have already been played on this tour)

I think this tour has two themes: one is Africa (the speech and flags, and One-Pride-Streets trio of songs) and the other is the political one with Bullet/Sunday/Love and peace and the blindfold/headband and visuals. I'm not sure it's a theme itself, but this tour - setlistwise - is looking to be something for the fans of early U2: 4 Boy songs, 1 October song, 3 War songs already.

The band has admitted they're underrehearsed, but then again, U2 has always sounded better later on in the tour, same goes for Bono forgetting lyrics.

edit: I'm sure U2 will bring back the older songs; NYD, SBS and Pride were there all along, I still haven't found and WOWY were played already - and I really doubt they'd skip Bad and UTEOTW. Since you mentioned Zoo TV - New Year's day and Sunday weren't played till they got to the stadiums in US.

Last edited:
That's your opinion, have you been to one of the shows yet? if not, how can you say they are un-intimate if you've never witnessed one of the shows? the music and your surroundings can be the only way to judge that. If you're only listening to the boots you can't really say that.

As for the quality, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart and Zoo Station are all personal favourites and I for one can't wait to see and hear them live. I'm glad that WOWY and Bad have not been played or are scarcely played. We've heard these songs a million times on recent tours, I for one am glad with the way U2 are approaching this tour and connecting with their older catalouge pre War.

As for being under rehearsed, give them a break, Edge has went through an extremely hard time leading up to this tour with his personal problems so his focus has been else where. I've heard a few of the boots, and I think they're sounding pretty damn good. And I'm sure as the tour continues they'll get stronger as they always do when they perform.

Last edited:
Re: U2: Sacrificing Concert Quality To Avoid The "Nostalgia Act/ Tribute Band" Label?

jick said:
From the outset, it seems U2 have been trying hard - actually trying way too hard - to avoid being labelled a nostaligia act or to being their own tribute band.

In an effort to avoid the label of "Greatest Hits Tour" or being a "mere nostalgia act" U2 seem move heaven and earth to avoid playing the greatest of their hits like With Or Without You, Desire, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, All I Want Is You, or even the perennial fan live favorites like Bad and Until The End Of The World. Instead, we have to deal with second or third rate songs like Zoo Station, The Cry/Electric Co, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, or Running To Stand Still.

Some would argue that these songs are tailored for the hardcore fans in the shows. I don't buy that argument. Sure, hardcore fans would love to hear some old songs played again or other songs never played live. The surveys show Acrobat, Ultraviolet, Red Hill Mining Town, or Gone at the top of the list. But when you see U2 trading With Or Without You and Bad for Electric Co and The Ocean - then you know something is wrong with the picture.

U2 are just trying too hard to avoid being a nostaligia act. They avoid the excesses of Zoo TV and Popmart, they try not to be overly intimate as Elevation (no band introductions or acoustic sets this tour save for Yahweh). They even try to avoid the customary red screen of Streets.

But U2 clearly have no achieved their objectives. They have a tour that has no distinguishing theme (like the irony of Zoo TV, the excesses of Popmart, or the intimacy of Elevation). It like a distant cold (un-intimate) version of Elevation Tour that has more lesser songs than Greatest Hits.

Elevation celebrated the return of the full band Sunday Bloody Sunday on the setlist for the first time since the early Zoo TV days. Vertigo celebrates the return of The Ocean. Now that's a world of difference.

The band don't seem to add anything to their older songs, especially their hits. It seems like they are going through the motions. Bono sings totally off-key some nights. The timing is off, they seem underrehearsed and unprofessional. THe lyrics are forgotten too much.

By intentionally evading their greatest hits in favor of obscure songs, and by intentionally avoiding long-standing concert traditions (such as red streets screen), U2 try to hard to avoid being their own tribute band. But in trying so hard to do so, they fail miserably and make the public actually want U2 to be a tribute band already. They'd rather have another version of a huge U2 hit over a crude version of an unkown song like The Ocean.

U2 have truly sacrificed their concert quality.

Cheers,

J

Dear troll,

You - I guess purposly - forgot to mention the return of RTSS, changes made in BTBS and Elevation... and most importantly many changes in the setlist and return of the oldest songs... that's how this tour will be remembered!
No theme? How about: "How To Dismantle and Atomic Bomb"?
Peace, communication, Africa... It's not a theme for you?
Even before the release of HTDAAB they were promoting it as "it' like our first record", return to their first producer and sound... so why you're surprised of the songs from the first 3 albums? Why? You're suposed to be (your own words) inteligent one of InterferenceForum, always bringing your facts "for intellectually stimulating discussion".
2+2...and you have old songs making a return to setlist... was that hard?

What is the public that want U2 to do "greatest hits" tour?? So far you're the only one. Should I remind you your thread "U2 should do a Greatest Hits Tour"? ...and what kind of replies you got?

How do you know who pays attention when during the show? You saw it? Maybe read it somewhere? (give links)
As far as I remember it's actualy the "greatest hits" songs that are for restroom break.
You should try harder in "reserching of your facts", you know...

Where is this "trying hard"? There's only following a plan for this album... a theme of War and peace and Africa and return to older songs... Where's this trying hard and failing?

Re: U2: Sacrificing Concert Quality To Avoid The "Nostalgia Act/ Tribute Band" Label?

jick said:
Instead, we have to deal with second or third rate songs like Zoo Station, The Cry/Electric Co, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, or Running To Stand Still.

J

second or third rate songs??!!! :shocked: Zoostation is probably my favorite song of the first 4 concerts...I am totally in favor of freedom of opinion but you cant be serious...:huh:

okay after recovering from the first shock i just want to add that i completely agree with bathiu's post above......I really think that the public who want a greatest hits tour is a very very big minority...And i also think U2 want to keep it interesting for themselves too you know....20 years playing exactly the same 15 songs is probably not that challenging (and make a lot of boring bootlegs LOL :wink: )

well there will always be some nutcase that has something to whine i quess.....

jick said:
Instead, we have to deal with second or third rate songs like Zoo Station, The Cry/Electric Co, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, or Running To Stand Still.

Whoa what?! Zoo Station, Electric Co, and Running to Stand Still qualify as "second or third rate" songs in your mind? You lose, Jick. You totally lose.

Yeah, U2 is totally avoiding their greatest hits. It's not like they've played One, Where the Streets Have No Name, New Year's Day, Pride (In the Name of Love), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Beautiful Day, With or Without You, or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For on this tour yet... :rolleyes:

Let me first preface this by saying that I normally hate every word that comes out of Jicks mouth (keyboard..blah..whatever) but he does have a couple good points.

1. They are under rehearsed. I have seen it multiple times with my own eyes. Not that they aren't great shows, but there is no reason for fans paying as much as we are not to expect rehearsed performances. Yes, I know about how the tour barely happened..I understand the reasoning..but that doesn't change the fact that they are under rehearsed.

2. There is a feeling like certain "U2 norms" have been surgically removed from this show. The red screens is a great example.

The rest, I don't really agree with, but understand perspective. I think what should be said is that this tour does feel colder and less emotional than the last. It IS still early, and they may be going for this feel...but it does feel strange. I think a lot of what is affecting my perception is the fiasco and roller coaster ride it has been leading up to this. From the tour postponement, to the blown presale, to the lottery...I am having a bit of a hard time escaping in the shows this time. Whatever the reason is, I am not sure. The physical heart was the emotional heart of the Elevation tour. That rare GA experience in North America made the tour what it was. It was such an unexpected intimate and wonderful experience. It has been mutilated and analyzed and oversold this time and I feel that is contributing to to some of my reaction. I am going to both Denver's with no expectations and hoping to have my heart broken, filled up, and smashed apart again by them.

Agreed, Jick does go a bit far with his observation, but I think he has hit on a bit of a nerve.

All this being said, they are still one of the greatest live bands in the world. I love them. But for conversation sake...

Last edited:
Has this guy been to a show? I am so sick and tired of reading about setlist complaints on this forum! I was at last nights show in San Jose and it was phenomenal. For long time U2 fans, this was a greatest hits show. This tour is in effect a synopsis of all of their previous tours rolled into one great show! Their was the simplicity of Elevations stage, they dropped the boy cover down and stayed on the main stage like 1980, they had the old zootv slogans flashing across the curtains like 1992, and the new material was as compelling and awe inspiring as the old. Go to a show, then criticize if you wish. I for one am grateful to have just witnessed one of the greatest rock bands ever at the top of their game!
Chris

discothequeLP said:
the only critics of the tour are people who have not seen a show yet

I am a critic and have seen multiple shows. My criticism is balanced with absolute adoration, but in a discussion of the tour and its plus and minuses...I am a critic both good and bad.

But have you been to one of this year's shows? Nevermind. I'm just trying to say enjoy what you've got here people. The Stones were not this relevant after 25 years, the Beatles didn't even make it to 10 years. This band is something that the rock n' roll world may never see again.

chrisandronna said:
But have you been to one of this year's shows? Nevermind. I'm just trying to say enjoy what you've got here people. The Stones were not this relevant after 25 years, the Beatles didn't even make it to 10 years. This band is something that the rock n' roll world may never see again.

Yes, I have been to multiple shows on the Vertigo tour. I understand your point about enjoying what we have. I completely do. I would love it if Larry sang Happy Birthday and Adam blew bubbles for two hours. But in a discussion of the differences between this tour and tours past, I think there are some things that Jick said that are somewhat relevant.

Surprisingly enough.

And one comment about the Stones, there are a lot of folks (I am not one of them certainly) that think that they are the world's premier act now. And have been for decades. Relevancy or not, many don't feel that U2 wears that crown of biggest band in the world, or even share it. Again, they are wrong :wink: but still...they are not a minority in thinking that.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the show so can't comment on the quality but wouldn't a pure greatest hits show be a tad boring? It would be fine for people who aren't that familar with U2 and maybe only own 2 albums but I suspect most people on here are already more than familar with the bigger songs and are enormously pleased with the fact (as I am) that they're playing some of the lesser known songs from the very early albums on this tour.

is this a discussion board or a complaint board? of late it's looking like that latter.

1) every U2 tour starts off with some hiccups. this one being no exception.

2) you will NEVER EVER hear all the songs you want when you see them play live. ( I don't care if they are hits or obscure tracks)

3) im not sure it's fair to judge the entire tour based on a handful of shows. (keep in mind they're all in cali, not exactly a ra ra bunch.)

retro said:
is this a discussion board or a complaint board?

I think, for better or wose, it is one and the same. Granted, I agreed with Jick on 2 of the more subtle (perhaps even unintentional) points he made. I love the shows and don't wish to have my comments viewed as complaints but more as discussion points. Jick isn't necessarily known for his perspective or factual analysis however so I am not trying to defend him in any way whatsoever.

My only complaint is getting knocked in the head by yahoos holding up their camera phones. Jeesh!

:lmao:

Jick, once again you have succeeded in pissing off the entire forums.

It appears I'm the only one around here who sees what your posts truly are. Kudos once again, mate. :)

What a crap thread. Everything I see from this Jick asshat is negative. If you hate the band that much go away. U2 is not Weezer. It is not cool to be a U2 fan and to hate U2. Good grief. Electric Co. and The Ocean are not "second rate" songs, and that's why many, many, many people have been EXCITED to hear them on this tour.

Go away. You are a useless forumer who provides nothing interesting and nothing original. You are a waste of space.

Nice trolling, by the way. :wink:

cmb737 said:

I am a critic and have seen multiple shows. My criticism is balanced with absolute adoration, but in a discussion of the tour and its plus and minuses...I am a critic both good and bad.

alrgith, i meant that the only 100% tour-bashers have not seen a single show yet. . . i myself have some criticizims with the tour but the show was amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom