U2 out of 10 so far this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt necessarily say the mods work for "free." The loving adoration of the members has got to count for something, hasn't it?

SD1 9/10 (GA, right in front of the Edge)
SD2 8/10 (varied setlist right off the bat)
ANA1 5/10 (lame crowd)
SJ1 6/10 (lamer crowd, but OK performance)
BOS2 10/10 (gem)
BOS3 9.5/10 (almost gem)
DUB1 7/10 (sub-par sound)
DUB2 10/10 (gem)

Rating = 8.0625

Chicago 1 - the band screwed up VERTIGO of all songs- bad show but still a u2 show 5/10
Chicago 2 - redemption "you love this town even if you get a bad review" plus party girl makes a debut 8/10
Chicago 3 - great birthday show - great version of OTS full band verison of Party Girl with an extra member (the show that will live on in DVD - possibly) 9/10
Chicago 4 - mixed up setlist/band at ease/UTEOTW debut/rightful placement of ABOY/nearly perfect COBL/the perfect ender bad/40/Elvis was in the building - 10/10

rating 8

I think this is a good microorganism of the tour thus far - some misses, some static setlists, and wonderful performances - still I would rate this tour as very good - cannot wait for the fall tour to start up

All,

Let me preface this by saying I consider myself somehow blessed, and certainly very fortunate, to have witnessed what in my opinion are some pretty great U2 shows. My first show was St. Patty's Day in Boston on the first leg of the ZooTV tour. I've since added 19 more, including London (Salman Rushdie's presence was stirring, though this was not their best show by any means), Cork and two Dublin shows in 1993.

*The August 28, 1993 show at the RDS is the modern standard (10/10) by which all other U2 shows are measured for me. This gig truly represents the boys at the top of their game.

I've also seen the Vegas and Miami tour openers, and a handful of other shows of note, including the infamous "pizza incident" in Detroit, and that stupid live broadcast with Dana Carvey during the MTV Video Music Awards in 1992.

I'm sure many of you have seen more, and better, shows. But having said all that, I give the band's performance on this tour a 7/10. The score reflects the new material, which is excellent live, and the addition of the old classics on the first leg. I NEVER in my life thought there was a chance EVER that I'd hear them do Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh. The score also reflects the inclusion of the band's worn out stalwarts -- most notably Pride, U2's blanky, of sorts -- and the travesty of subjecting European audiences to the double Vertigo. I mean, come on. It's a good song. But it's not the best, certainly not the best on this album. That iPod commercial made everyone over here in the US sick of it.

Finally, what has finally emerged as another stagnant setlist situation shows me that the band still is out of touch with their core fan base, and is completely convinced that they need to try to please everyone in the arena on any given night, whether they're hardcore U2 fans, casual fans or new blood. I hope that one day, they'll just forget all about production, about rehearsing songs to make them nearly perfect before they debut them, and just freakin' jam. But that's not them, and it's not realistic. They're consumate professionals, borderline perfectionists and savvy businessmen, not to mention bona fide rock stars well into their 40s.
Bottom line: Drop one Vertigo, Pride, Bullet, Streets (which has lost all energy for me), add Crumbs, Electrical Storm and perhaps Gone, mix in a few more oldies like Two Hearts, Fire, Unforgettable Fire, or A Sort of Homecoming, and we've got ourselves one killer tour.

out of the people that have rated the elevation tour ahead of vertigo, i would love to know how many times were you in the heart and ellipse?

I've had better spots at the Vertigo shows than the Elevation shows.

Chizip said:
I've had better spots at the Vertigo shows than the Elevation shows.
cool....again i just hope when you see them again you will find that magic :(

ericnurgles said:
*The August 28, 1993 show at the RDS is the modern standard (10/10) by which all other U2 shows are measured for me. This gig truly represents the boys at the top of their game.

Yeah you tell it like it is. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom