U2 on the news again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
yep, on channel 10 again!

they spoke to the boys again, spoke to the edge about the sun and he joked about needing sunblock to stop skin cancer!

and they reveled that the band are flying in helicopters to anz for soundcheck, i found that very interesting as a certain member on here speculated as much just today or yesterday!

then at the end they showed the band getting out of the chopper at ANZ, and the stage, which is fully errected :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ahh the excitement

Thanks for the update, do you reckon it will be shown on Ten Late Night News as I assume that is a national version, whereas I don't think they showed U2 yesterday at least during the news that are produced for an Adelaide audience.

im not sure if it will be on the ten late news, maybe?

i'm going down 2morow morning to visit the boys :D

Thanks adambk! I didn't watch the late news because I assumed that the story would be the same as the one at 5 o'clock, but alas they put a bit more substance into it!
How funny was that lady standing behind bono when he first talked - she is grinning her head off!
And Bono "edge is on fire"!! Oh how we love you B-man!

my daughter-in-law was on the news footage with U2!!
:faint: about 24 hours ago i would never have dreamed such a thing could happen. She's going into U2fanland on me.
Oi, i saw 'em first. Stand back little one :wink:
oh happy day

ROFL, just watched the extended version off youtube

"the edge is on fire, he hasnt been playing guitar like his for a long time"

where have we heard that before? :wink:

Hey All...

I thought sod my morales and went down to the Versace at 9.30am this morningin the hope of meeting my idols of 22 years. I turned up the same time as Channel 7 and I was the first fan there. A few others joined me and I stood with a girl named Maria and her husband Rob.

About 10.45am Adam came out of the hotel, waved and got into a car and went to the gym. At that time there was probably about 30 people milling around. By the time he came back an hour and 45 minutes later, there were probably about 15 of us, but he got out the car, waved and went in.

Around 2.30-ish the perserverence in the growing heat paid off as Edge and Adam came out and came over to say hello to us fans. There was probably about 15 of us there still. They stayed for about two minutes and then got in their car to get the helicopter to Brisbane. Two minutes later the security guy told us Bono would be out in about 45 minutes. About an hour later there was a big crowd, which is fine, but for the 3 or four of us that had been there since first thing in the morning, it pissed us off to see these people just try and push their way through. Anyway he made his grand entrance and started going down the line.

It was at that point, with everyone concentrating on Bono, I spotted Larry and waved him over. He came straight over to Maria and myself and was really cool. Bono then came by for a very quick chat and gave me his pen for some reason and after signing my U2 BY U2 book shook my hand and said thanks. I'd finally met my all time idol!!

As for the TV footage, I'm in tons of it, which is unfortunate for the viewer (ha haha!!) but the best souvenir for me!! The book you see signed by Adam and Edge was mine and is now signed by all four members. Maria is the coolest U2 fan I've met and I've met a lot in my time!!! She took tons of pics and video footage of me with the boys, on top of what I have from Channel 10 news, so I have a complete set of momentos from a very special day.

I will upload some pics soon I promise!!

Anyway, the 22 year quest is over. I've met my idols. What an amazing day!!!:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
cass said:
my daughter-in-law was on the news footage with U2!!
:faint: about 24 hours ago i would never have dreamed such a thing could happen. She's going into U2fanland on me.
Oi, i saw 'em first. Stand back little one :wink:
oh happy day

Hey Cass, I met your daughter in law. She stood with myself and Maria a lot of the day. She is such a nice girl. She got called away for work at some point but manged to somehow return, with her chef stuff on saying she wasn't needed or something, so she got to meet the band!!!

aaw neil that is so cool. Yep she is a special one. I feel blessed to have her in my life. They only moved up there recently and I have a K-shaped hole in my heart. It was meant to be her day off, but they called her in. Then they let her go as seeing U2 is such a special event. She started out doing it on my behalf, but now she is smitten. I just wish I had a ticket to take her to the concert. She's had a tough start in life and yet she is so full of love for everyone. I've learned a lot from her.

I just saw her on the morning national news **proud mum**

Sooooooooo very happy for you!!!! I know that feeling of waiting a lifetime (26 for me). How awsome for you!!!

neilm said:
Hey All...

I thought sod my morales and went down to the Versace at 9.30am this morningin the hope of meeting my idols of 22 years. I turned up the same time as Channel 7 and I was the first fan there. A few others joined me and I stood with a girl named Maria and her husband Rob.

About 10.45am Adam came out of the hotel, waved and got into a car and went to the gym. At that time there was probably about 30 people milling around. By the time he came back an hour and 45 minutes later, there were probably about 15 of us, but he got out the car, waved and went in.

Around 2.30-ish the perserverence in the growing heat paid off as Edge and Adam came out and came over to say hello to us fans. There was probably about 15 of us there still. They stayed for about two minutes and then got in their car to get the helicopter to Brisbane. Two minutes later the security guy told us Bono would be out in about 45 minutes. About an hour later there was a big crowd, which is fine, but for the 3 or four of us that had been there since first thing in the morning, it pissed us off to see these people just try and push their way through. Anyway he made his grand entrance and started going down the line.

It was at that point, with everyone concentrating on Bono, I spotted Larry and waved him over. He came straight over to Maria and myself and was really cool. Bono then came by for a very quick chat and gave me his pen for some reason and after signing my U2 BY U2 book shook my hand and said thanks. I'd finally met my all time idol!!

As for the TV footage, I'm in tons of it, which is unfortunate for the viewer (ha haha!!) but the best souvenir for me!! The book you see signed by Adam and Edge was mine and is now signed by all four members. Maria is the coolest U2 fan I've met and I've met a lot in my time!!! She took tons of pics and video footage of me with the boys, on top of what I have from Channel 10 news, so I have a complete set of momentos from a very special day.

I will upload some pics soon I promise!!

Anyway, the 22 year quest is over. I've met my idols. What an amazing day!!!:lol: :lol:
:wink:

They are in all the papers again this morning.

Good to see U2 taking over Brisbane for the week!

that is an amazing story NeilM......I live at burleigh and was shocked to read yesterday that the guys were at Oskars...just a 10min walk from where I live. If I didn't have to work yesterday and today, I would of been there at Versace, I shall go down there tomorrow...so was it worth it, was it realy that good???

(oh yeah, I dont post here much at all anymore and my sig hasnt changed, but I do now live on the goldy)...

OzAurora said:
I live at burleigh and was shocked to read yesterday that the guys were at Oskars...

Twice now I've been due to go somewhere, only to not (or go late) and discover that Bono had been there. Once after Popmart, headed to a then ultra cool Sydney bar, about 2 hours later then I originally wanted to (no idea he was there) and arrived literally as he was (also literally) stumbling out into a waiting Mercedes. Then last March I was supposed to go to a pub near a friends place, found out the next day Bono had been in there knocking back a few beers and happily chatting to anyone and everyone. Not at all fussed about missing the packed wanky bar on a Friday night (or whatever it was - although he was there with supermodels) but Bono half pissed in a normally quiet standard local pub on a Tuesday would have been awesome.

I've eaten at Oskars too. Really good.

from abc.net.au

Hours of waiting outside a luxury Gold Coast hotel paid off for dozens of fans this afternoon when Irish rock group, U2 stopped to chat and sign autographs.

The band's front man, Bono joked while signing clothing, cds, and a host of other signable items. He says he hopes fans will leave their Tuesday night concert, "exhausted, elated survivors of a great storm! We love it up here, there's a really good vibe. People are very much themselves, the hardest thing to be."

When asked about buying property on the Coast he laughed, “beachfront! What do you think, the odd mile or two for sale? I’ll just take a little, lot, I’ve a very big ego!”

Guitarist, Dave "The Edge" Evans says they haven't finalised their set for their Aussie gigs, "it'll take us a while, it'll take us a few shows. We have a few ideas in the works but nothing I can tell you right now".

Drummer, Larry Mullen Jnr, told fans he was enjoying his time in Queensland, "it's good to be back here, looking forward to playing Australia. It's been a while, hopefully won't be as long next time around...I can’t remember too much last time round, so I’m sure it will be great. Australian fans have a good reputation.”

Judging by the grins on their faces, the long wait was worth it for the fans who stood around for hours, “very happy, can’t wait for Tuesday night”, one said, “I’ve got a sore back, I missed my doctor’s appointment to come here, but I’m happy. I missed Michael Hutchence, I never got his autograph, he walked straight past me, so I wasn’t going to miss this one”.

U2 start their Australian tour in Brisbane on Tuesday night followed by shows in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

m1317260.jpg

bono_man said:
They are in all the papers again this morning.
Apparently my daughter-in-law is the photo standing behind Bono :lmao: the phantom chef :lmao:
Like all the other U2 goodies she has the newspaper at work with her. Oh dear, I better wait up till she gets home. I think I might get a beer and go and sit in the yard with the dogs. It's cooler outside tonight. I miss the dogs to. They went bananas when I arrived earlier. I'm glad someone missed me :D

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=158731

Pilot high after flight with U2
Saturday Nov 4 18:54 AEDT

Diehard U2 fan Richard Ainsworth reckons the Irish supergroup will probably forget their helicopter ride with him, but he never will.

The RACQ Careflight pilot was lucky enough to ferry the four band members on the 20-minute flight from the Gold Coast to Brisbane where they'll play on Tuesday night to restart their Vertigo world tour.

Mr Ainsworth, 37, said he fielded several phone calls from jealous friends following his once in a lifetime flight with the band members.

"I obviously got a few phone calls from friends saying 'you lucky bugger' and I was," he said.

"I'll remember this until the day I die and they (U2) will forget this in a month."

Although he has been an avid U2 fan since his mid-teens, Mr Ainsworth said Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jnr were not his heroes.

"It's not meant to be a plug but all the Careflight crew and the emergency service people I come across on a daily basis are my heroes," he said.

"These guys (U2) just do wonderful things with music. I'm not trying to cheapen them but we need to keep things in perspective."

Mr Ainsworth will be one of thousands of screaming fans at the Queensland Sports and Athletic Centre (formerly ANZ Stadium) next week after buying two U2 tickets from eBay for $350.

Mr Ainsworth said he avoided acting like a star-struck groupie during the flight.

"I wasn't bombarding them with questions or being the youthfully enthusiastic teenage fan who throw their underwear at the stage," he said.

"They're busy people so you could tell at times they were thinking about what's coming up for them."

A spokeswoman for Careflight said U2 had made a sizeable donation to the charity service.

It's believed the money will be used to fund a Bambi bucket, an aerial firefighting tool which is suspended below a helicopter.

Since U2's arrival on the Gold Coast on Wednesday, fans have waited for hours outside the band's luxury hotel in the hope of catching a glimpse of the rock royalty.

I was thinking today that because it's so hot, it would be nice if the hotel could let you all know the best time to start queuing up -- or if someone could pass out numbers so you don't have to wait so long in the hot sun and could go off for lunch, etc.

Seems a little too bad you'd have to miss school or work and such, just on the odd chance the boys would come out to chat. But if you all think it's worth it, then good on you!

Back
Top Bottom