U2 on playing in South America again!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be great. They have plenty of fans worldwide and though I’d love to see the band play for the bazillionth time I think we need to spread the U2 wealth around. I can just picture some poor fan in (fill in blank) with a tear running down their cheek while holding up a cell phone mournfully singing “hoowww long”. :(

Australia, Japan and South America were all under serious consideration for the Elevation tour. In April 2001, a U2 insider told me that they would end the tour in South America in January 2002. What happened shortly after that was the economic crash in Argentina which subsequently hurt Brasil and other nations. The Brasilian Real dropped to as bad as 4 per US$1. As a result, U2 dropped all plans to go there. Bad exchange rates also cost Australia their shows and U2 added the extra 2 weeks of US shows in their place.

When the Rolling Stones announced their Licks tour in May 2002, they did not include South American shows entirely because of the finacial situation. Mick had stated that the Buenos Aires shows were the best of their entire 1997-99 tour, so he really had a strong desire to return there, but in 2002-3 is was just not feasible to go there.

Today, the currency exchange rate has improved greatly with the brasilian real closer to 2.4 per US$1. This factor makes it far easier for major bands to consider touring there.

Michael Cohl and his company are the promoters for both the Stones and U2 tours. It's pretty much 100% certain that the Stones are going to South America in February, so if Cohl has found a way to make it financially viable for them to go there, I'm sure he will be able to do the same with U2.

Bono is known to say optimistic things that don't materialize, such as when on Globo tv in Rio in November 2000, he promised that U2 would play there on the upcoming tour. Unlike Bono, Paul McGuinness does not say things publicly unless they are very likely going to happen. For instance, the summer 2002 stadium tour of Europe that U2 crew members all "knew" was going to happen, was never even mentioned by Paul M. except after they cancelled the plans and even then he never admitted how close to reality that tour was. Unless there's a major change in the currency rates within the next 5-6 months, I think it's very likely U2 will play in South America early next year, as long as there is a business plan in place to where they will not lose money. The US stadium shows that Paul mentioned in 2006 can also be a way to offset any potential losses they may incur by bring the stadium stage to South America and Mexico.

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Here's hoping South Africa get a look in - bono did the 46664 show there with the edge, so why not? Maybe spend the northern winter in the southern half of the world, and head north to Mexico in April/May and then a few US/Canada shows.

By the way ICELAND WAS ROBBED! No Reykjavik show! Pffft.

South Africa would rule, and I agree about Iceland too :D seriously... I've been there, therefore U2 should play there. That's my logic.

Reykjavik rules. Have they played there before??

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Here's hoping South Africa get a look in - bono did the 46664 show there with the edge, so why not? Maybe spend the northern winter in the southern half of the world, and head north to Mexico in April/May and then a few US/Canada shows.

By the way ICELAND WAS ROBBED! No Reykjavik show! Pffft.
THAT'S A DAMN SHAME!!!! A beautiful country and what a place for a concert. they should have played there in october. less sun and the lights would be magical there let me tell you.

don;t forget to put a sweater on though:wink:

I know Blue Room since the beginning of the Feedback forums, he tends to be a reasonable guy. He said it´s not official, and he´s right, but the key stuff here is Paul McGuinness saying that they must to find a way to bring the show to Brasil. Not Bono, not Edge, as both have said similar stuff before, but the fifth member himself. I´m starting to think that something is going on between U2 corporation and Globo network, and whether we brazilians like it or not, Globo can make it happen, maybe it´s the only one. Also Halup´s post above was right on about the exchange rate stuff. I never imported so much U2 stuff like nowadays, because things have become cheaper. Anyways, I´m going to Toronto to see two indoors concerts there. I would love to see a few outdoor ones next year. :)

MT

Chizip said:
a concert in the ocean? that would be so sweet. everybody would float out and watch the concert on inner tubes, and rafts, and kayaks.

I wonder if there is going to be two separate GA lines in the ocean. I guess the fan club members get paddles and non members have to use their hands and feet:applaud: ONe thing for sure no one would lose their spot for bathroom breaks.:ohmy:

It would be amazing if U2 could play in Newfoundland...they would love it here...Irish roots and all.

The sad fact is that it will probably never happen:sad:

I hate reality
:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom