U2 in Australia - Official Countdown Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, they're off to soundcheck already? I hope someone here has been past the stadium!

Personally, I went into Brisbane city to get my ticket for Tuesday and now I have it in my hot little hand. :drool:

:ohmy: she rang again. She was about to go back to work and John came out and said Bono will come out at 4:15pm. She rang her boss and she said "Stay Stay, have fun, we can manage" How cool is that?
Bono was absolutely swamped by people. My daughter-in-law was the first person Larry spoke to. He happily let her take lots of photos and signed his autograph for her. She is in :heart: She said "Bono is so tiny and so beautiful. He spent ages talking to the kids. I love him as much as you do " :eyebrow: now now, that is a bit of a big statement :lmao:
I had no idea all this might happen, she is so happy right now. She's got U2itis good and proper. I wish I had a ticket to the concert for her.
I have been busily wrapping gifts for U2, sewing patches on jackets, sorting out what pictures and record sleeves I might be lucky enough to get signed. I have th UABRS red vinyl, the Australian edition. I think that may be the one...or the War record. I love that picture of Peter Rowan. He looks so much like my youngest son it's not funny.

Thank heavens for little girls...and men :)
This is so special having them in our country and to hear the admiration in my girl's voice.
Man there goes any hope of sleeping
:ohmy:

yep they sure are Axver...according to Edge anyways. It may have been fake Edge and he may have been offering a red herring. I doubt it.

It's a beaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuutiful day

I hope that someone like miracledrug83 is at the stadium taking notes and enjoying the soundchecking. :drool:

What time was it that they were leaving for soundcheck?

It might give us some idea of what time it will be each day.

U2 soundcheck - missed it.

I got there just before 7 (i think)

security said they were finished but were still in the venue.

I guess if you want to catch them tomorrow try going earlier then this.

Good Luck

Re: U2 soundcheck - missed it.

nicmeyer said:
I got there just before 7 (i think)

security said they were finished but were still in the venue.

I guess if you want to catch them tomorrow try going earlier then this.

Good Luck

Was the security tight or was it ok to be wandering? Did you see the helicopter?

Just saw the boys on channel 10 late news :drool: Hope someone managed to tape it. The whole story was about how all the band came out of the hotel and talked to fans, signed autographs etc. Then they showed an aerial shot of the stadium and it all looks ready. It looks awesome!!!!!! I am sooooo excited!!!! Only 4 and a bit days to go........ :dancing: :bonodrum:

Some great images from Sonia

0007dw6pxu7.jpg

0007ed56fc1.jpg

bonopq4.jpg

Bono

larrywaitingjpgkj0.jpg

Larry waiting

Source: Sonia from the U2Australia Yahoo Music Groups, check out Sonia's live journal (http:// pics. livejournal.com /lastrega/tags/U2/?page=1) for more images and also the two images of the stage in a higher res.

Last edited:
I'll summarise....

Okay, waited around from about 5pm... left and came back at 7:30pm (long story)

Basically, scotty from security talked to us for about two hours... told more about GA arrangments and other stuff which i'll share later.

Anyway, at about 10:30 Bono came bouncing out....

He shook everyone's hand

He said they were rehearsing "Kite" "We're looking to do something special with it"

I got a photo with him!!!!

Then came edge.

Didn't say much... but I got to shake his hand and meet him.

I will go into further detail after I come down from this high... and post photos.

OMG

Oooh, Kite. That hasn't been done live since 2 December 2001. I'd love to hear it. :drool:

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,..almost blast off time.
It's raining here now with an electrical storm in the distance. Good! I'd rather it cooled off a bit for my drive up there.

Still no email from my DIL. She mustn't be home from work yet. Sadly the batteries on my son's camera were almost flat so I'm not too optimistic about the quality of the photos she took yesterday.
I don't know what is more exciting. I'll be seeing U2 and seeing my son's soon
:dance: :hyper:
I must remember my binoculars. You can see the Dreamworld Tower of Terror from their backyard. I reckon there might be some Irish screaming coming from that direction.
I've had phone calls all evening from girlfriend's wishing me well for the journey north. **prays to win the tickets to the Sydney show**
My mother thinks I am being very irresponsible "abandoning" my husband for almost a week because of U2. I am going with his blessing....besides he may get a decent night's sleep without me here.:wink: the excitement levels have been a tad on the high side lately

seeya on the otherside musiclovers
man this is surreal
:heart:

ekkkkkkkkkkkkkk, thunder

I just got a lovely message from Troy Cassar-Daley. :heart: is there anyone in Australia who doesn't know I'm off to see U2?
Maybe John Howard, he's too busy getting phone calls from George. I hope Bono gets stuck in to a bit of Australian politics when he has that microphone in his hand.
Bono old friend. Tell the RTA to take their freeway and..........build solar energy collectors instead. Last time U2 were in Australia I was in the middle of a huge environmental battle with politicians that cost me dearly. i can't believe they are here RIGHT NOW in the midst of my latest struggle. The bastartds are having a red hot go at grinding me down again.
I have truth, science and I hope U2 on my side. They have bulldozers and machine guns... but I'm ready to let go of the steering wheel.

I've been holding on hoping my DIL would be home soon . i just realised we are in a different daylight saving time zone now. Talk about confusing an old lady.
SHE HOME!!
I just got this email :):):):)

"just want to let you know that i have some awesome photos of
your
favourite boys!!!! its so exciting!!!!! A friend of mine has a digital
printing machine so i already have them cropped, zoomed, enlarged and
printed!!!!! Bono is beautiful. Im taping the morning news cos i missed
taping the late show. I was in a shot with all of them!!!!!!!!!!!! I
was on
the news with U2!!!!!!!!!!!!
lots of love"

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR OUT
is it possible to die from too much excitement?
:laugh:

cass said:
I've been holding on hoping my DIL would be home soon . i just realised we are in a different daylight saving time zone now. Talk about confusing an old lady.
SHE HOME!!
I just got this email :):):):)

"just want to let you know that i have some awesome photos of
your
favourite boys!!!! its so exciting!!!!! A friend of mine has a digital
printing machine so i already have them cropped, zoomed, enlarged and
printed!!!!! Bono is beautiful. Im taping the morning news cos i missed
taping the late show. I was in a shot with all of them!!!!!!!!!!!! I
was on
the news with U2!!!!!!!!!!!!
lots of love"

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR OUT
is it possible to die from too much excitement?
:laugh:

If it is possible to die from too much excitement, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. Great that your DIL got to meet them/ take photos!

Anyway, now that I've calmed down I thought I'd finish my story.

BTW, before I go on I'd like to say that the 10 or so fans who I waited around with were great people - they really were all lovely.

Maybe the comment about talking to Scotty for two hours was hyperbole, but it felt like it. He revealed that they had been extensively rehearsing "The Saints Are Coming" - he was a really great guy and told us lots of good stories. I found it really amusing that he found out about the tour postponement in March from CNN (i.e. when we all found out) even though he was in Auckland already.

Anyway, he basically said they're rehearsing in a private room... said how when rehearsing they just keep playing the same songs over and over. He also revealed that GA line will be on the field near gate 16 (i.e. where the chopper landed today) and there will be a "snake" system setup (kinda like at amusement parks).

So he just said don't rush the cars, stay back and they will probably stop.

Then, like I mentioned before, Bono came bouncing out from the stadium, and said something about how un-James Dean it would be to be killed by a golf buggy (as they were driving around the stadium constantly). We all shook his hand, then he sat down on a piece of wood and was offered a piece of Aussie Bob Pizza. He then talked about Kite and said how they were going to do something special with it... I was shocked and excited. We then asked for photos etc. and he had no problem with it. People were snapping away, then all of a sudden...

EDGE. Like a thief in the night he just came up and said hello... people were snapping away jumping in and out of photos. Then they got in the cars and went on their merry way.

I found out when I got home my flash wasn't working and thus the photos are less than impressive. However, I'm expecting some photos from a great guy who was there too so it should be okay. I managed to salvage this one of Edge and I... after shaking their hands I don't think I'll ever wash them again (don't think this is practical but still!!).

Oh, and about Adam and Larry, they left while we were distracted by Bono and Edge... very smooth move.

What a night! I think I'm going to bed now... bring on the shows!!!

Last edited:
I posted this in the 'on the news again' thread but thought I'd share it in here too. My experience from today....

Hey All...

I thought sod my morales and went down to the Versace at 9.30am this morning in the hope of meeting my idols of 22 years. I turned up the same time as Channel 7 and I was the first fan there. A few others joined me and I stood with a girl named Maria and her husband Rob.

About 10.45am Adam came out of the hotel, waved and got into a car and went to the gym. At that time there was probably about 30 people milling around. By the time he came back an hour and 45 minutes later, there were probably about 15 of us, but he got out the car, waved and went in.

Around 2.30-ish the perserverence in the growing heat paid off as Edge and Adam came out and came over to say hello to us fans. There was probably about 15 of us there still. They stayed for about two minutes and then got in their car to get the helicopter to Brisbane. Two minutes later the security guy told us Bono would be out in about 45 minutes. About an hour later there was a big crowd, which is fine, but for the 3 or four of us that had been there since first thing in the morning, it pissed us off to see these people just try and push their way through. Anyway he made his grand entrance and started going down the line trying to meet everyone.

It was at that point, with everyone concentrating on Bono, I spotted Larry and waved him over. He came straight over to Maria and myself and was really cool. Bono then came by for a very quick chat and gave me his pen for some reason and after signing my U2 BY U2 book shook my hand and said thanks. I'd finally met my all time idol!!

As for the TV footage, I'm in tons of it, which is unfortunate for the viewer (ha haha!!) but the best souvenir for me!! The book you see signed by Adam and Edge was mine and is now signed by all four members. Maria is the coolest U2 fan I've met and I've met a lot in my time!!! She took tons of pics and video footage of me with the boys, on top of what I have from Channel 10 news, so I have a complete set of momentos from a very special day.

I will upload some pics soon I promise!!

Anyway, the 22 year quest is over. I've met my idols. What an amazing day!!!

Question... is the stage they have at Brisbane exsactly the same as the one thats going to be in sydney??? Do they have a couple of days to move it and set it all up?

hmm with all the stuff at the versace i fancy ill wait in front of their sydney hotel when i get there as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom