U2 don't want the same fans up front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edgeboy said:
If u2 honestly cared they would have said something by now.
They know their shows will be sold out no matter what so why
would they even worry if some fans get screwed.

why should they? as far as their concerned people who pay hard earned cash to go to their shows are "fans" and they will be the one's filling the shows, i dont buy peoples "been a memeber of propaganda bla bla " why should you have a better right than someone who say just became a fan during atyclb?, you have no more right than that person,

I've never been to a U2 concert and I also don't have a ticket yet for the VERTIGO (haven't tried buying any yet because I am waiting for the 3rd leg). I knew that this was going to be THE MOST DIFICULT ticket to get (in 2005 anyway), and this is also the way I am approaching this. I have no expectations because if I do that I might just be let down. I can only HOPE that I am lucky enough to get 2 tickets and be on my way.... But even if that doesn't happen, there is NO WAY in hell I can start blaming it on the guys. I am getting so tired of all the whining going around.... Some people are acting as though tickets should be just dropped off at their door....... You can't allow yourself to get all sensitive about the whole ticket issue and now expect written apologies by the guys because YOU didn't get a ticket! There is going to be thousands and thousands of people left with no tickets.......

doctorwho said:

I'm not as offended at your husband's comment as I am at yours. You didn't get tickets, and suddenly U2 "don't care any more"? Sheesh - poor you.

I don't have tickets either, but I will never use the words "disaster", "depressed", "not caring", etc. Based on past tours, I knew getting tickets - even with this presale - would be tough. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I expected nothing less than what occurred.

I had chances to get some tickets today, but they were all bad seats. TicketMaster doesn't know that I'm some "long time fan who's seen U2 before". So I'm not buying your husband's theory. But I'm also not feeling any pity for anyone. Getting tickets or not getting GA tickets isn't some "life or death" situation. It's a luxury.

Furthermore, given the enormous success of the album, I think people were living in some fantasy world if they thought they could just log on, easily get their GA tickets, and merrily go on their way. U2 is a monstrous band - you were fighting not only the scaplers but 3 million other fans! 16 arena shows with 1700 GA's each is a mere 27,200 tickets - no wonder there were 3 million unhappy fans.

But I guess you're right - it's far easier to blame U2 than to be logical.

You make some very thoughtful points, but I think this holds for the general sale mainly. The way things went today, and the amount of people who were able to get the tickets they wanted was exactly what I expected for the general sale. With the internet now, hugely popular acts like U2 will sell-out in minutes, and I was not surprised to see the GA tix gone in seconds. You are right, thousands of people are trying to go for a few hundred seats (no way all GA tix were on sale for the general public today, it was probably less than 800 per show) so it is 100% logical that the only way you can get GA is to be both really fast and really lucky.

But I do think that belonging to a fan club can get you some benefit, and it's not a matter of who's been a fan the longest or who knows the more songs. Propaganda was available for anyone willing to make a small effort. U2 has been one of the hottest live bands in the world for 20 years, yet until now they were able to keep a significant chunk of the best tickets for serious fans.

Because the pre-sale was such a fiasco, people's chances of getting good tickets are now severely limited. And U2 IS ultimately to blame for this, although I don't think they did it intentionally. I'm sure they're not happy right now and I am confident we will see changes in the future.

Plus, all this GA thing would not be such a big deal if any decent seat did not cost a freakin' 200$.

Last edited:
partygirl33 said:
per show or per leg or all together? where can I find out about this for sure- I've been getting different answers all day.

I got 2 Denver GA today. If I am lucky enough to get NY/NJ tickets on Monday, I was going to sell these at reg price or exchange for some other shows. I'd rather not have to fly all the way to Denver.

But from what you say...I am not allowed to try for GA again on Monday?

Hey, if you do sell those Denver tickets, would you sell them to me? I would be forever grateful. :) socruel@comcast.net

This is what TM emailed me! Of course it doesn't say whether it's per venue or the entire tour!

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your email. As a Paid-up U2.Com Member you will be able to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show (North America) or up to four (4) tickets for any one (1) outdoor show (Europe). However, when the event goes on sale you can again purchase 6 reserved +2 floors or 8 reserved total seats.

If you have any further questions, please reply, and include all previous correspondence. [/B]

That is pretty generous. Here in the UK it is 4 tickets per household for the entire tour. Our tix are the most expensive too.

I personally saw Bono tell a fan (that travelled around and saw a majority of the tour) that they were sick of playing to the same fans every night. This fan was on a first name basis with him. She got mad and walked away from him (which doesn't happen to Bono very much).

Upset a lot of us that do see multiple shows. We do have jobs, most of us have jobs that allow us to do this. My wife had just graduated from college and took the fall off. I worked for an airline. We were never on the front rail all the time, but I know the people they are refering to. And it was annoying, even to me another fan.

However, in Miami, my wife told me that Bono personally apologized to the fan he offended and gave her a pass for the show.

I am sure there is mixed feelings in the band and management. I wish if there was a lotto, they would advise people prior to buying tickets.

How would you deal with people that go to shows together in 4's or more? Sorry, you waited all day, but you don't get to be near your friends for the show? Have fun!

Anyone miss seats? haha...

Oh, and for those that want to get mad and say we are hogging tickets, I got one of my 18 tickets from the last tour on ticketmaster. Traded, bought, begged for the rest. It was a full time job.

Last edited:
See, what I don't get about thast quote is this line: "when something happened that was unexpected or different they would shake their heads and be almost put out".

What kinds of things would he be referring to? If Bono said anything that was different from his normal patter, or played a song that was outside of the normal set list, I would figure these fans would be the first to know it, and be even more thrilled. I remember when "Out of Control" wasn't on the normal set list; whenever the band got it in their heads to sort of spontaneously bust it out, the fans who going the craziest were these long-time fans right up front.

What kinds of "unexpected" things might he be referring to?

Here's a thought -- maybe some casual fans become die-hard fans after they see a U2 concert up close. I know I did.

To me the greatest issue is the pure lack of decent seats for members. I would have loved to been up close at $49.50 a ticket.

The only tour I was able to get real close was Popmart in Atlanta. My tickets were right next to the B-stage.. You know what happened.

The fire marshall came in at the last minute and removed our seats, and we were given the option of standing next to the rail along the b-stage ramp or nose bleed seats.

Obviously, we took the rail option and I at least got to see them up close, but by the start of the concert the 12 individuals whose seats were removed, where pushed and shoved by 100 people who thought they would do what we were doing.

My only satisfaction was the ability to sneak my manager from work and his wife up with us. they were way back in the back.

For elevation we were way up behind the stage. My problem is that ticketmaster, never releases good seats to the public or now us members at U2.com, but the scalpers and brokers always seem to end up with them.

I would have loved one chance to be in the heart for elevation, but for other shows I would prefer to spend the extra for a better seat.

My problem with ticketmaster and their @#$$ing computer system, is that good tickets are never drawn randomly.

I mean who out there ever got $165 stage sides seats or middle back through the pre-sale. I tried all day with a fast computer connection and for the rest of the week and was always offered the worst seats in the house, way back in the back.

As a member I think they should have offered us a guarantee to 2 tickets GA to one event of our choice, and GA doesn't guarantee you to be stage side, you could end up way in the back.

But if my desire is to go to a couple of shows GA is not my preference, but nose bleed isn't either. Those of us who joined and paid $40 deserved better than the Crumbs from Ticketmaster 's Table.

cmb737 said:
I personally saw Bono tell a fan (that travelled around and saw a majority of the tour) that they were sick of playing to the same fans every night. This fan was on a first name basis with him. She got mad and walked away from him (which doesn't happen to Bono very much).

I heard that story as well.
I think Bono also made some comment about they should get jobs or he wanted people with jobs in the heart.
He assumed that the people travelling around didnt have jobs.
All the people who did travel saved there hard earned cash to follow the band around. Its like a vacation for them.

theey'd better not tell people not to get there early, I intend on getting there at 9am and doing 'U2: The GA Experience' for the first time as I missed out last time.

They should do a lottery this time. 5pm or 6pm seems fine. Most GA ticket holders don't wait around anyway. For Elevation, one of my friends arrived to a Boston show at 6pm and just missed getting into the heart. Instead, he had to stand in the front row outside the heat - what a shame. I had waited outside since 9am and his vantage point, although outside the heart, was just as good as mine.

My point is that out of 1,800 GA tickets, only 500 or less will likely be there by 5pm. If you do a lottery type system, most of those folks will get into the heart (or whatever it is this time) but everyone there at the time of the lottery should have a pretty good spot. In addition, people don't have wait outside the venue all day and it is likely that different people will be front and center each night. I think it would work for everyone. Yes, a large group could be separated at the cut-off point for the lottery, but you can always choose to stay with your group outside the heart.

Johnovox said:
They should do a lottery this time. 5pm or 6pm seems fine. Most GA ticket holders don't wait around anyway. For Elevation, one of my friends arrived to a Boston show at 6pm and just missed getting into the heart. Instead, he had to stand in the front row outside the heat - what a shame. I had waited outside since 9am and his vantage point, although outside the heart, was just as good as mine.

My point is that out of 1,800 GA tickets, only 500 or less will likely be there by 5pm. If you do a lottery type system, most of those folks will get into the heart (or whatever it is this time) but everyone there at the time of the lottery should have a pretty good spot. In addition, people don't have wait outside the venue all day and it is likely that different people will be front and center each night. I think it would work for everyone. Yes, a large group could be separated at the cut-off point for the lottery, but you can always choose to stay with your group outside the heart.

If you do a lottery it screws everything up. What about the people you are with? Does that mean your girlfriend drew #13 and you are #600? So you can't see the show with your girlfriend? Thats my point!

Ticketmaster is stupid to do a lottery for tickets because alot of Mother f**kers are lazy getting up in the morning or camping out for tickets. It should be the same for when you enter the building for General Admission, first come first serve. Put time into your spot and you will get a better result than showing up at 5 or 6 p.m. I realized that when I went to D.C. in 2001 (got there at 3 p.m.) #352 and barely got in the heart. Next day I got there at Noon and was #299. I progress to the last show on the first leg to #65 at Continental. Put in your time and the result will be better. I am tired of people complaining. You can take off from work. So you miss a day or so big deal! Say that you were sick or a good validated excuse.

Does U2 even remember fans' faces. I always thought this what they see when they meet fans.

CYS0010.jpg

:wink:

Last edited:
You have to keep your respect for U2. I am a performing artist myself. It if flattering to see the same faces, but it is also downgrading to know that your fans won't let others get the front row experiance.

SMB

Back
Top Bottom