u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:

Wow if they're really raking in that much they don't have much excuses there are plenty of fans who would be prepared to do it for a fraction of that.

Yep, Axver has no idea of how much he is being cheated.

Who cares how much they make? I don't...I keep reading comments from people on here with incredible post counts who never even saw a show on the tour yet they are whinging about $40 like they have no choice in the matter.

U2 are out to make a buck just like everyone else. Like it or not, you don't have to pay, just like you don't have to pay for tickets and instead sit at home reading setlists.

As for Interference staffers not being at the show? You don't have to be at the show, just get the setlist from the General Tour area of YOUR OWN site, rather than going to another site for mis-information and then bleating about it afterwards.

I appreciate Interference but this site rivalry (which is even worse on the Springsteen side) is childish at best.

So KRBY,
Are you saying that it's okay for the official site of the band to Continuously post erroneous information? And yes, for my $40 I expect the offical site to have the correct information and to check their facts before they post something. It is u2.com's job to get it right. That's what they're paid to do, no?

And the "rivalry" you speak of has nothing to do with the amount of $ each site costs. And if the "rivalry" bothers you so much, just ignore those threads. :shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:
So KRBY,
Are you saying that it's okay for the official site of the band to Continuously post erroneous information? And yes, for my $40 I expect the offical site to have the correct information and to check their facts before they post something. It is u2.com's job to get it right. That's what they're paid to do, no?

It is human to make mistakes...the band send the setlist in, then change it...sure, U2.com staffers should check it, but who cares? Its not life and death, its not even close to being important. They will get better as they go along.

I very rarely even read the site, much preferring it here but for 10c a day who cares! If you don't want to pay the fee, then don't, it is simple personal choice.

Most of the people who joined did so to get tickets through the pre-sale, we all know that. Most of those will not renew their memberships until a new pre-sale comes around and hopefully will be pushed to the back of the ticket line. The band know they got it wrong first time around but put a lot of it right.

Springsteens official site has the same problems, with the die-hards able to pick fault seemingly at will...he doesn't charge, admittedly, but you are stuck with TM on the day of tix sales.

Hehe, I've become a U2 apologist! The band should put me on the payroll, that 10c a day could come in handy.

I've had a bad day, so responded OTT, sorry for anyone who takes offense.

KBRY said:
Who cares how much they make? I don't...I keep reading comments from people on here with incredible post counts who never even saw a show on the tour yet they are whinging about $40 like they have no choice in the matter.

U2 are out to make a buck just like everyone else. Like it or not, you don't have to pay, just like you don't have to pay for tickets and instead sit at home reading setlists.

As for Interference staffers not being at the show? You don't have to be at the show, just get the setlist from the General Tour area of YOUR OWN site, rather than going to another site for mis-information and then bleating about it afterwards.

I appreciate Interference but this site rivalry (which is even worse on the Springsteen side) is childish at best.

Well, I have a severely weak post count, which makes my opinion more credible to you, or what did you try to say here? :scratch:

Actually, in this thread you were the one who started to compare Interference with U2.com.

Nobody's "whinging" about paying 40$, some of just think that an entity that makes 4.000.000$ a year should be able to do better than consistently posting inaccurate information about the thing that the site should be all about.

Or at least they should be, if they cared at all. Obviously, they don't. Bringing information about U2 to U2 fans is, at best, a secondary objective. It's a disguise.

U2.com is SOLELY a smart and clever way to make ticket prices seem lower than they really are, so that all the "true" U2 fans can go around at places like this telling everyone how KIND U2 are that their ticket prices are so LOW compared to the ticket prices of artists like Rolling Stones and McCartney. Well, truth is, it hasn't really been easy to get tickets, and certainly not good tickets, in most places, if you didn't happen to be a member of U2.com these days. So you can easily add those 40$ and the multiple 40$ you've already paid or will be paying in future years on top of your U2 concert ticket price. Isn't that just a bit interesting?

Sorry to hear about your bad day.

You said:

Well, I have a severely weak post count, which makes my opinion more credible to you, or what did you try to say here? :scratch:

Try reading the whole sentence, as opposed to the first few words.

You said:

Actually, in this thread you were the one who started to compare Interference with U2.com.

I didn't compare, I pointed out that the site that was being ripped had also been quoted, with the wrong information posted on the main page. I wondered why it hadn't been fixed.

You said:

Nobody's "whinging" about paying 40$

Yeah, right...

You said:
some of just think that an entity that makes 4.000.000$ a year should be able to do better than consistently posting inaccurate information about the thing that the site should be all about.
Or at least they should be, if they cared at all. Obviously, they don't. Bringing information about U2 to U2 fans is, at best, a secondary objective. It's a disguise.

Of course they don't care...the simple mistakes they make could easily be rectified, but are often left for days, if not weeks, for the obsessives to laugh over...Crumbs Under Your Table? A fan quoted who doesn't know the name of a song? OMIGOD!

You said:
[BU2.com is SOLELY a smart and clever way to make ticket prices seem lower than they really are, so that all the "true" U2 fans can go around at places like this telling everyone how KIND U2 are that their ticket prices are so LOW compared to the ticket prices of artists like Rolling Stones and McCartney. Well, truth is, it hasn't really been easy to get tickets, and certainly not good tickets, in most places, if you didn't happen to be a member of U2.com these days. So you can easily add those 40$ and the multiple 40$ you've already paid or will be paying in future years on top of your U2 concert ticket price. Isn't that just a bit interesting?
[/B]

A conspiracy theory! Aha, the game is afoot, Holmes!

Last time I checked, the price was printed on the ticket...'you pays your money and you takes your choice.' Simple economics. They charge what the market will bear, with 'fake' sell-outs to make it look like the tix are even more in demand than they really are.

As a fan who likes to go to multiple shows, the next tour will see me at a lot less venues, as by then the prices will have rocketed. Nothing 'kind' about it, just the band and their agents making as much money as they can.

Actually, I've never read anyone on here making out that the band are 'kind' with ticket prices....just last week I saw that rear/side stage 1st level tix at MSG were $169! Now that is a rip-off.

financeguy said:

Wow if they're really raking in that much they don't have much excuses there are plenty of fans who would be prepared to do it for a fraction of that.

Yeah, exactly. Two people including myself work on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com, and we do this for free - we work on the site because we love what we're doing and we have a passion for it. Now, not to toot my own horn here or anything, but let's compare U2VT's sets to U2.com's.

U2.com - official website, connections to the band, paid a lot of money by fans and employed to do a job.
- Inaccurate setlists sometimes posted even before a show has finished.
- Title names spelt wrong ('Running to Standstill') or not fully ('Still Haven't Found') or grammatically incorrectly ('Pride in the name of love').
- Setlists are grammatically inconsistent in the capitalisation ('Bullet The Blue Sky' is fully capitalised but many other song titles lack capitals for some words).
- The people who update the sets know little trivia, if any. Major setlist events occur and are totally ignored; things that didn't happen get hyped (i.e. Bad in Paris, Walk On in NYC).
- No notation of snippets.

U2-Vertigo-Tour.com - fan-run website, no source of income, no connections whatsoever to the band.
- Accurate setlists often posted within minutes of the show ending and enhanced as more details are learnt.
- Consistent grammar used throughout the site (all words of a title capitalised). No titles are abbreviated.
- Sets are fleshed out and enhanced by the addition of all the snippets we know.
- As much relevant trivia as we can remember is posted with our setlist updates.

Why are U2.com being paid to do such a shoddy job? I love working on U2VT and never even thought about getting money for it, but ... just comparing the job we do for free to the job U2.com do is startling.

Axver said:
Yeah, exactly. Two people including myself work on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com, and we do this for free - we work on the site because we love what we're doing and we have a passion for it. .

And you guys do a great job. :up:

AtomicBono said:

:lmao:

that's awful nice of you

Why would you NOT donate to Interference? :huh: It is run by fans, for fans, the funds would be much appreciated, I am sure.

financeguy said:

And you guys do a great job. :up:

Thanks! :)

KBRY said:

Why would you NOT donate to Interference? :huh: It is run by fans, for fans, the funds would be much appreciated, I am sure.

They were talking about U2.com.

They were talking about U2.com. [/B]

The people who responded were talking about U2.com but the original poster was talking about Interference.

KBRY said:

A conspiracy theory! Aha, the game is afoot, Holmes!

Last time I checked, the price was printed on the ticket...'you pays your money and you takes your choice.' Simple economics. They charge what the market will bear, with 'fake' sell-outs to make it look like the tix are even more in demand than they really are.

As a fan who likes to go to multiple shows, the next tour will see me at a lot less venues, as by then the prices will have rocketed. Nothing 'kind' about it, just the band and their agents making as much money as they can.

Actually, I've never read anyone on here making out that the band are 'kind' with ticket prices....just last week I saw that rear/side stage 1st level tix at MSG were $169! Now that is a rip-off.

No Watson, no conspiracy theory here at all. I agree with almost everything you said here, though. Except, you missed my point about the ticket prices, apparently. Yes, yes, yes...the price is indeed printed on the ticket....But, but, but...as I said, it has been nearly impossible to get a ticket or, at least, a good ticket, if you weren't a member of U2.com. So? Since U2.com doesn't offer anything else useful than the "right" to buy tickets, it would be fair to add the yearly membership fees to the ticket prices.

KBRY, if you don't think that anyone in here has defended U2 ticket prices, you might want to search for the stupid "Rolling Stones can kiss my ass" thread that was started in here some months ago.

KBRY said:

The people who responded were talking about U2.com but the original poster was talking about Interference.

Were they? Sure seemed like they meant U2.com to me. Seems others got that implication too.

Axver said:

Were they? Sure seemed like they meant U2.com to me. Seems others got that implication too.

I think that the original poster was referring to interference but the two who responded misunderstood and thought he meant u2.com. At least that was my take on it.

Axver said:

The post wasn't there when I started my long reply, so I figured the response was to Hello Angels post above mine, as it appeared afterwards.

financeguy said:

I think that the original poster was referring to interference but the two who responded misunderstood and thought he meant u2.com. At least that was my take on it.

...:scratch:......:confused:

financeguy said:

I was definitely referring to Interference. I was responding to hello Angel's post. I apologise for not using the quote button.

AtomicBono said:

:lmao:

that's awful nice of you

Thank you AtomicBono. Would you like to donate and become a premium member of Interference? $12 last time I looked.

U2Man said:
U2.com:

As far as I remember:

around 100.000 registered users

40$ a year membership.

Which means:

4.000.000$ a year income.

You'd think they could do a little better, eh?

:yes:

=========

Talking about u2.com, is it true that if you subscribe you can access to ALL the videos?
I was wondering: you could see also the video for Night & Day? :drool:

1stOne said:

I was definitely referring to Interference. I was responding to hello Angel's post. I apologise for not using the quote button.

In that case I withdraw my :coocoo:-smiley :kiss:

Getting back on topic b/c I always whince when I see my name, but one thing I don't like about U2.com during Vertigo is the relentless celebrity name-dropping and calling them "the beautiful people." While that's a widely used description of celebs, it just feels very tacky. I mean, does U2.com exist as the band's online representation for the fans, or for fellow celebs? It just feels odd.

Another thing I don't get is why U2.com can't link to other fan sites who produce great work as a way to honor fans. I mean, it is the fans, after all, who have "given U2 a great life."

Back
Top Bottom