U2 at MSG, NYC 5/21 - Will it be special?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
After going to a Philly show the weekend prior, i am hoping that this will be a special show since it's going to be their only stop on the first leg of the tour.

What are everyone's thoughts on what this show is going to be like (longer set, etc.) ????

Can't Wait!! :drool:

U2 shows in general are special, but when you have U2 play at MSG, their energy level goes up a notch and there is always a suprise or two.

I happen to be going to NJ on 5/18, almost as good as MSG, but not quite.

But I'll be at MSG on the 3rd leg...Geddy up !

U2 always turn it up a notch when they play __________ (insert name of venue you'll be attending here). There's something special about __________ (insert name of city where you'll be seeing U2 here) and U2 knows it.

It is going to be great.

Now for my snarky remark:

I hope they play "New York" on that night so they get it out of their systme and not play it on the third leg when I go...

:madspit:

Though any and every night on a U2 tour has the potential to have surprises and be "special", when the itinerary for leg 1 came out, 2 shows stood out as having the most potential for being a notch above others, they are 5/21 MSG and 5/28 Boston.
A single night in NYC on a Saturday on the first leg has the makings of an evening with a few bonuses, and obviously the closing night of the leg, in Boston also a Sturday has as much potential if not more.
What actually transpires...who knows...but certainly those 2 look like priority 1 and 1A if you were preranking the shows at the beginning of this leg of the tour.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
U2 always turn it up a notch when they play __________ (insert name of venue you'll be attending here). There's something special about __________ (insert name of city where you'll be seeing U2 here) and U2 knows it.

U2 does put on better performances in the bigger markets. The best shows I have seen have been in Chicago and San Jose. The performances in Detroit, St. Louis, Atlanta, Columbus, and Indianapolis were a little less fervent. They were good, in fact the St. Louis Popmart shows was the tightest I have ever heard them, but their energy and passion seem to be higher in NYC, Chicago, or Boston. U2 really seem to thrive off the vibe of the city. Chicago, NYC, LA, Bay Area, Seattle, Boston all have very unique vibes that you can pick up on as soon as you walk off the plane. Have you ever gotten a vibe (other than dull) walking off the plane in Indianapolis, St. Louis, Omaha, Detroit, Salt Lake City, Houston, Atlanta, or Milwaukee? I not trying to bash anyone's hometown (my hometown is in that list), just trying to point out that the vibe of the city seems to be reflected in U2's performance and many towns have a dull vibe whatever that may be. Aren't you more amped walking around downtown NYC instead of downtown Omaha? I think the members of U2 are the same way. Just my opinion.

As for this thread, the MSG shows (1st or 3rd leg) are going to be amazing!

Hewson said:
Though any and every night on a U2 tour has the potential to have surprises and be "special", when the itinerary for leg 1 came out, 2 shows stood out as having the most potential for being a notch above others, they are 5/21 MSG and 5/28 Boston.
A single night in NYC on a Saturday on the first leg has the makings of an evening with a few bonuses, and obviously the closing night of the leg, in Boston also a Sturday has as much potential if not more.
What actually transpires...who knows...but certainly those 2 look like priority 1 and 1A if you were preranking the shows at the beginning of this leg of the tour.

the fugazi sports guy hath spoken... and he hath spoken well :up:

MSG?
Only one night all spring?

:rockon:

I'm basically in the last row of the arena, and behind the stage...and I'm gonna be lovin every minute.

Very special indeed...it will be my first show of the tour!

Although I don't expect it to go downhill from there:wink:

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

This is BS. Everyone thinks that U2 loves their city more than they love the others. And just so you know I'm not baised, and as I've posted on here before - I went to college in Boston and I F*CKING DETEST the Yankees. Not only that but Boston is half the distance driving for me. So where am I going to see U2 on the first leg? NEW YORK baby. They play no place but Dublin with more excitement. They sing about New York. They don't sing about Phoenix or Boston or San Jose.

Don't get me wrong - it's always sick to see U2 - I've never been when the energy level hasn't been insane. New York is just simply on a different level. With only one night on the 1st leg, it's bound to be a very special evening.

One more month!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

When this tour was announced, I wanted to see them play in 4 places. New York, Dublin, Las Vegas, and Montreal. I have tickets to all four and I've never been more pumped for a tour in my whole life.

Im travelling from Uk and have a ticket in section 315(not too good i believe?), feel lucky too have gotten a ticket and am really looking forward to the show, saw them at Giants Stadium on Popmart and vowed to go back to see them in my favourite city, but..........
I feel the media pressures and only one show will lead them to 'play safe' with regards setlist etc

btw, anyone recommend a good bar to watch the FA cup final on the morning of the show????? I 've been told Nevada Smiths but am open too suggestions:)

DPrinceNY said:
For those of you who think U2 will play "New York" at the MSG show, very unlikely. There already playing city of blinding lights.

Are we taking bets? :wink:

Although it seems unlikely, I wouldn't rule it out - I mean to have a song called 'New York' in your catalog and not play it in NYC, well. . . that seems silly.

DPrinceNY said:
For those of you who think U2 will play "New York" at the MSG show, very unlikely. There already playing city of blinding lights.

I'm confident they will play it. Not only does it fit with the set, they've been rehearsing it.

Hewson said:

I'd have to add chicago 5/10 to those two shows. Birthdays are fun. Maybe we'll get Party Girl.

Back
Top Bottom