U2 and Springsteen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

congrats... you've finally made an arguement in this thread which makes sense :up: :wink:

Hey, if at first you don't succeed, make some shit up...errrrr.....ummmm.....try try again. Yeah, that's it. :lol:

Bonoforever said:

Speaking as someone in the 18-25 age group, I was even surprised to see how many kids across Europe were at the 2003 Springsteen shows, it was often mostly 20 - 35 year olds up on the pitch, all the oldies at the back. The US has a slightly older crowd, but there are still a lot of kids, about 30% which is a tonne considering Bruce has never done anything to appeal to the younger masses, unlike U2 who have completely adapted musically in order to hook a younger fanbase. Besides, U2 are not considered a young person's band in Europe, only the US.

Considering U2 started nearly 10 years after Bruce did, and he's turning 56 this year I'm sure he's not worried about his fans dying before he does. :p

56???? No wonder he's so tired!! :D

joyfulgirl said:

You obviously did not see the last tour.

You obviously have not read this entire thread. On top of that, you obviously missed the :D put in to my message to clearly indicate the satirical nature of my comment. But it's ok, I wouldn't take the time to read this horrible (thanks to my weak arguments) thread either, so you are forgiven. :)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
springsteen is doing a small theater tour because he wants to.

like has already been said... he sold out 10 shows at Giants Stadium in Joisey durring his last tour, played three more "sold out" shows @ Shea Stadium (even though there were some seats they didn't sell at shea... still had 50,000 tickets sold).

giants stadium holds 63,000 for an end stage concert (behind the stage was blocked out). 50,000 tickets were sold at shea stadium.

so that comes out to 13 shows and a grand total of 780,000 tickets sold... a little more than 3/4s of a million people, in one metro-area.

now let's compare that to U2... including both legs in america, they're playing 8 shows at MSG (17,000 capacity) and two at Continental Airlines (17,000 capacity).
That comes out to 170,000 people in 10 shows.

Let's add the 4 philly dates at approx 18,000 capacity at Wachovia...
we're up to 240,000 people in 14 shows.

now let's add the artist fomerly known as the fleet center into the mix... 7 shows at @ 18,000 capacity...
we're now up to 366,000 people at 21 shows.

let's add chicago's 6 dates, also at 18,000...
474,000 people at 27 shows.

now let's add the 4 LA shows and 2 Anaheim shows, also at 18,000
582,000 at 33 shows.

two shows in DC, two shows in detroit, two shows in denver...
690,000 people at 39 shows.

let's toss in buffalo and hartford at 17,000 each
724,000 people at 41 shows.

let's add dallas, houston and vegas in...
that brings us to a total of 778,000 people at 44 shows.

so in conclusion...

springsteen... 1 city... 13 shows... 780,000 tickets sold.

u2... 14 cities... 44 shows... 778,000 tickets sold.

so ummmmm yea... long story short... bruce is doing just fine.

Headache I agree with your position on this. The only thing I would say though is that U2 are choosing to do arenas only. I think they could sell VERY well if they were only doing stadiums in New York also. Would they top Bruce's numbers? Probebly not, but it would be WAY closer for the single city total than the comparison you are making here. NY is a huge market and that is part of why Bruce did so well there. But the Meadowlands shows for Bruce were the equivelant of U2 playing Dublin. So that was also a major factor. Thats why he did 10 shows at the Meadowlands. Those shows were "technical" sellouts also, the stadium was not 100% capacity every night. Its still very impressive though and I think it does demonstrate how big Bruce is as a live performer.

U2's stadium show numbers in Europe for this tour are similiar if not slightly better than Bruce and U2 are STILL undercutting that market.

Both artists are great and I think both are same level when it comes to popularity and concert ticket sales. I dont think there is a need to bash either or compare them really.

Erin go bragh said:

You obviously have not read this entire thread. On top of that, you obviously missed the :D put in to my message to clearly indicate the satirical nature of my comment. But it's ok, I wouldn't take the time to read this horrible (thanks to my weak arguments) thread either, so you are forgiven. :)

Ha, I think this thread is pretty funny. But as for being tired at 56, you gotta check out recent pictures of Bruce.... he's still damn hot! ;)

Erin go bragh said:

I read most of it. And I got the :D

Yet I still felt the need for a snotty retort. :wink:

Bonoforever said:

Ha, I think this thread is pretty funny. But as for being tired at 56, you gotta check out recent pictures of Bruce.... he's still damn hot! ;)

Since I am a heterosexual male, I will respectfully decline this invitation. But thank you for the suggestion. :lol:

martha said:

Then stay the fuck out of the Springsteen threads. :rolleyes:

Hahahaha. The self-proclaimed interference.com police has shown up. As Special Ed would say...."YAAAAAYYY".

Whats wrong wittle martha, did you get your poor wittle feelins hurt?? :sad:

I'm just waiting for No control to show up and tell us how Pink Floyd would stomp U2 and Springsteen combined, after which they will ascend to heaven and sit at the right hand of God.

And speaking of off topic comments, I thought this thread was about how both artists will be on tour at the same time, and how cool it would be to see Bruce show up at a U2 show...or maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:
tkramer said:
I'm just waiting for No control to show up and tell us how Pink Floyd would stomp U2 and Springsteen combined, after which they will ascend to heaven and sit at the right hand of God.

And speaking of off topic comments, I thought this thread was about how both artitst will be on tour at the same time, and how cool it would be to see Bruce show up at a U2 show...or maybe I'm missing something.

Ummm, it kinda got hijacked a bit. That's my fault. :reject:

Well, you insulted the Boss, which is akin to insulting The man in Black or the Beatles...just isn't done dude. :)

tkramer said:
Well, you insulted the Boss, which is akin to insulting The man in Black or the Beatles...just isn't done dude. :)

Actually, I think I insulted some of his fans. I'd bet if you called up The Boss right now, he'd say he wasn't insulted. Heck, I bet he didn't even seethis thread. :p

And U2 is what The Beatles should have been if it weren't for Yoko Ono. :ohmy:

Uh oh.....here it comes again. :laugh:

I have to disagree with the argument about Bruce not attracting younger fans, I have been to plenty of his shows lately & have noticed alot of younger people, & also parents bringing their kids to experience BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

By the way the 2 shows that went on sale today sold out in minutes.

I've seen Bruce twice, and while I'm a much bigger fan of U2's music, live the Boss cannot be touched when on stage with the E street band. Elton John might play for three hours, the Eagles might play for three hours, but Bruce KILLS himself everynight for three hours. He screams and rants and yells untill he has nothing left. And then he does 8 songs in the encore. When he leaves the stage you feel drained for him. (BTW, I first saw him in 2000 when I was 22. So count me as a "younger" fan.)

Blue Room said:

Headache I agree with your position on this. The only thing I would say though is that U2 are choosing to do arenas only. I think they could sell VERY well if they were only doing stadiums in New York also. Would they top Bruce's numbers? Probebly not, but it would be WAY closer for the single city total than the comparison you are making here. NY is a huge market and that is part of why Bruce did so well there. But the Meadowlands shows for Bruce were the equivelant of U2 playing Dublin. So that was also a major factor. Thats why he did 10 shows at the Meadowlands. Those shows were "technical" sellouts also, the stadium was not 100% capacity every night. Its still very impressive though and I think it does demonstrate how big Bruce is as a live performer.

U2's stadium show numbers in Europe for this tour are similiar if not slightly better than Bruce and U2 are STILL undercutting that market.

Both artists are great and I think both are same level when it comes to popularity and concert ticket sales. I dont think there is a need to bash either or compare them really.

"technical" sellouts? not counting behind the stage, where they couldn't sell tickets because bruce didn't have an open stage... every ticket was sold. it was near impossiable to get tickets if you didn't pay out the ass to a broker or know someone with a bunch of tickets. trust me... i was there... they were sold out.

but that doesn't matter...

and you're right... bruce gets the benefit of the doubt for being from one of the largest metropolitan areas in america. new york city alone has double the population of the entire nation of ireland. so comparing bruce and new york with u2 and dublin, you have to consider that.

the fact that u2 can sell out so many concerts here in new york is probably even more impressive than bruce springsteen's runs. the only acts that have sold out that many consecutive dates in new york are springsteen, billy joel and u2. springsteen's from jersey, billy joel is from long island... they're local legends. they have a core group of fans already built in. u2 aren't even from the country, let alone the area, and they do extrodinarily well here.

my argument wasn't to make a competition between springsteen and u2. my argument was to discount the argument that bruce is some washed up guy who needs to play theatres because he can't sell arenas like u2 did.

Erin go bragh said:

Expecting me to know when's the last time Springsteen toured Europe would be like me expecting you to know the last time Slayer toured South America. I happe to not be a big fan of his, so it would stand that I would not know this.

The only difference is that I'm not coming on this forum proclaiming to know things about Slayer that I don't know. :wink:

I've been a U2 fan for over 20 years. They are by far my favorite band. My wife and I have seen them over 35 times dating back to the UF tour. We've also seen Bruce about 15 times but only dating back to the Reunion Tour. As much we love U2, nothing is like a Bruce show. Our only regret is that we never saw him when he was younger. His shows would go on for 4 hours. A U2 show is special. They are better live than every other band I've seen except one. That one exception is Bruce and the ESB.

Erin go bragh said:

Hahahaha. The self-proclaimed interference.com police has shown up. As Special Ed would say...."YAAAAAYYY".

Whats wrong wittle martha, did you get your poor wittle feelins hurt?? :sad:

I really don't know what your problem is, but here ya go:

In addition, if someone wishes to start a thread to appreciate a specific band or album, please be courteous and do not start a flame war or bash that band or album in that thread. If you dislike a band or album, you may start your own thread voicing your dislike for that band or album.

I'm sure you'll have some clever little remark for this too.

Erin go bragh -

"A lot" is two words.

...And I'm the one with a 6th-grade vocabulary?...

You know what if I can manage (even a crappy tix) I want to go see him live! I've always heard of how good he is and I want to see it at least once in a lifetime. Now nobody around me loves U2 so I know as a fact nobody around me will want to see Bruce but this discussion really makes me want to go now. Now about getting tix though that will be interesting.:ohmy:

Bruce Springsteens last studio album "The Rising" sold about 4 million copies worldwide. It is certified double platinum in the USA and 1 x platinum in Europe which combined is 3 million in sales. Its likely that the ROW sales outside of Europe and the USA could add another 1 million copies for a total of 4 million sold.

U2's last album, ATYCLB sold 12 million copies worldwide. The current album HTDAAB which was just released in November 2004 has already sold 8.5 million copies worldwide and will likely reach the 12 million mark in under 2 years, just as ATYCLB did.

So from an album selling point, for current original studio work, U2 on average is selling 3 times as many albums as Springsteen. These days, the number of albums Springsteen sales of new material is more in line with REM, Pearl Jam, and Sting's current or last studio efforts on a worldwide basis.

On the Concert ticket selling front, Springsteen is still one of the strongest concert selling artist in the world.

Outside of North America on the Rising Tour, Springsteen played 7 Arena's and 24 Stadiums in Europe. He also played 1 Stadium in New Zealand and 4 Stadiums in Australia. I do not have exact Amusement Business figures for these shows, but it appears that Springsteen did indeed fill up, sellout, most of these shows, some in only a few hours. I do not know the ticket price that was charged for these shows though.

In North America, Springsteen has an unusual amount of popularity in the USA north of the mason-dixon line and East of the Mississippi River. More specifically, the area from Boston to Philadelphia including New York City is Springsteen country. Its unlikely than any other artist could be Springsteen in this area with the exception of U2 in Boston.

Outside of Boston, Philadelphia and New York City, Springsteens popularity in North America drops considerably. Consider that the Los Angeles Dodger Stadium show only had a little over 40,000 people in attendance. There were only single stadium dates in Chicago and San Francisco. Of the 33 stadium shows played on the North America tour, 20 of them were in Boston, Philadelphia and New York City.

Contrast this further with the fact that "single" Arena shows in big cities like Dallas and Tampa did not completely sellout.

On the concert selling front, U2 has a far more balanced level of popularity across the globe.

In Europe, U2 is indeed more popular with all 31 stadium shows for their tour soldout in minutes or hours of going on sale. The average ticket price is $90 US dollars and the GROSS for these 31 shows is $155 million dollars. This is in fact the highest level of demand U2 have ever experienced for a concert tour in Europe. The band could easily sellout more shows in Europe, but are limited to the 31 shows because of the time demands for the extensive Arena tour of North America.

In North America, U2 could outsell Bruce in any city with the exception of New York City, Philadelphia and maybe Boston. While U2 is playing only Arena's in North America on this tour, the rate of sellout especially in the big cities has been unbelievable. All four Philadelphia shows were soldout in minutes. Same with Tampa and Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, San Deigo, Seattle, Vancouver, Washington DC. Whats more, these venues are selling out at an average of 100 dollars a ticket. The North American Tour will likely GROSS 135 million by the end of the tour. If they would just add two shows in Europe, the band would finish 2005 with a worldwide GROSS of $300 million dollars, the first time an artist has GROSSED that much money in just 9 months.

Someone will have to fill me in on Springsteens tour results in South America. U2's last visit there was one of the most successful tours in South American history.

The last time U2 played Japan and Australia, the results were much lower than they had been compared to U2's previous tours there. I'm not sure who would come out on top in these markets, U2 or Springsteen.

So to sum, U2 is 3 times larger than Springsteen as a current album selling artist worldwide.(specifically the ability to sell new material).

On the Concert selling front, things are a lot closer, but U2 is the stronger concert selling act worldwide. It is difficult though to gauge how much stronger U2 is though in this catagory. Clearly in the Southern and western States of the USA, U2 is twice as strong as Springsteen in most cities. In Europe, U2 is probably a stronger draw by at least 25% to 50%.

By the way, here are the actual results from Springsteens 10 night stand at GIANTS STADIUM back in 2003.

GIANTS STADIUM : July 15, 17-18, 21, 24, 26-27, August 28, 30-31 : SHOWS: 10 GROSS: $38,684,050 ATTENDANCE: 566,560
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $68.27

Most of these shows still had tickets available in the days and weeks leading up to the show. This combined with the 3 Shea Stadium shows is by far the most impressive Concert drawing performance in the history of New York City.

Back
Top Bottom