U2 3d!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
andyuk said:
we don't have imax here in UK well least i don't think so! but i also hear that the are filming it in HD for all the new HD ready TV's which should be cool!

there's definitely at least one, in Bradford

Neilz said:
Too bad that it's a Vertigo show though... Just imagine what this footage would be like of Zoo-TV or Popmart (or even Elevation)...
IMO, Vertigo > Elevation ;)

But ZooTV and POPmart would certainly be interesting... media overload! I think I'd just might have a seizure :eek:

Neilz said:
Too bad that it's a Vertigo show though... Just imagine what this footage would be like of Zoo-TV or Popmart (or even Elevation)...
whys it to bad? its there most recent show, plus the outdoor vertigo production vs indoor or even outdoor elevation production, :shrug:

Celticfc said:

and how was it

i saw that too and it was fantastic, can't remember for the life of me how long ago that was though, possibly Voodoo Lounge tour. I don't think it was 3D either (unless all imax films are?)

The "Stones At The Max" was shot on their Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour. And it wasn't 3-D, just an Imax film. It was awesome seeing a rock show on 6 story screen.

3-D will add so much more to the experience and the stage production U2 is :drool: compared to the Stones years ago.

zoopop said:
The "Stones At The Max" was shot on their Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour. And it wasn't 3-D, just an Imax film. It was awesome seeing a rock show on 6 story screen.

3-D will add so much more to the experience and the stage production U2 is :drool: compared to the Stones years ago.

At the time it came out, IMAX theatres were charging $15/ticket to see Stones at the Max. That was almost as much as the concert tickets in 1981!

It was a great show/experience in IMAX, just overwhelming. At the Max was 2 reels x 45 minutes with an intermission, so not a complete show.

Rolling%20Stones%20-%20At%20the%20Max.jpg
picture.jpg

AICN talks to James Cameron about his upcoming projects:
http://aintit coolnews.com/display.cgi?id=22599

With that we began talking about 3D. The camera he is going to be shooting with is called THE FUSION CAMERA, which is scheduled to shoot a U2 Concert in the next couple of days. I love that he knows where his camera is going.

If you're interested in where this technology could go, it's a good article. Cool finding out that Cameron had an indirect role in the technology U2's using.

I believe all the big hollywood producers are really excited about 3D. From Cameron, Lucas, Jackson, and Spelberg. As Lucas is suppose to re-release all the Star Wars movies in 3-D. Did anyone see Polar Express in Imax 3-D? Amazing. And to think U2 wants do a 3D is mind blowing.

and NOW Tatatataaaaaaaa:

It is official:

from U2.com (there are also two pics)

Getting Ready To Shoot
Catch these shots from inside the River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires ahead of tonight's shoot with the 3D cameras.

If you want to know more on the background to the shoot, which takes place tonight and tomorrow, the best place to look is in Willie Williams road diaries.

@mobvok - thanks for the link, great work finding that.

@zoopop - your right they are all into -
I saw Polarexpress 3D - great work, but U2 on these screens and with this technik - a dream coming true. I am just happy!!!!!

Last edited:
Here is a cool thought, unless someone already mentioned this. Have a Vertigo Tour dvd boxset. Milan, Argentina 3d, and Austrailia. As a bonus, a live cd with 4 standout songs from each of these 3 shows. :drool:

Roland of Gilead said:
Here is a cool thought, unless someone already mentioned this. Have a Vertigo Tour dvd boxset. Milan, Argentina 3d, and Austrailia. As a bonus, a live cd with 4 standout songs from each of these 3 shows. :drool:

Is 3D reproducable with standard TV's/projectors? I'm thinking its mainly for the IMAX because they don't have anything else good to show these days :)

Even if they are able to reproduce the 3D technology at home, I'm guessing they'd wait to do it on HD-DVD/Blueray.

there will no be a DVD Argentina 3D. Not now, perhaps in 15 years.
I think we can expect a 2D Version for the christmas buisness.

For the great 3D Effect in IMAX cinemas you need special projectors.

berlino said:
there will no be a DVD Argentina 3D. Not now, perhaps in 15 years.
I think we can expect a 2D Version for the christmas buisness.

For the great 3D Effect in IMAX cinemas you need special projectors.

I don't think the BsAs show will be the Christmas stocking stuff this year. My money's on Milan.

PeterD said:

I don't think the BsAs show will be the Christmas stocking stuff this year. My money's on Milan.

not a very propable scenario.
At one night in milan the technic failed.

for the DVD they have several possibilities:
Milan (Hamish), Sao Paulo (Hamish was also involved), and the gig tonight will also be broadcastet in Argentina television - means: also a Proshot.

I think the most propable scenario is a
pure Buenos Aires DVD - propaly the most expensive shots yesterday and today.

Or a mix from different shows - ?
that would be great.

berlino said:

not a very propable scenario.
At one night in milan the technic failed.

True enough, but remember the days when a concert video was actually shot during one concert? ;) The second Milan show was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if they took some of the audio from the first show and used it over footage from the second night. Some (if not all) of the Milan tracks from U2.Communication are from Milan 1 (Miss Srajevo definitely is.)

berlino said:

I think the most propable scenario is a
pure Buenos Aires DVD - propaly the most expensive shots yesterday and today.

That would be great because I was at both of those as well. Somebody has aleady raised some issues with the technology limitations though of home systems. And, not sure if it matters to the band, but the second set of encores wasn't fantastic last night. OOTS had a number of problems (even Bono said something about it afterwards), and just before Bono started with the lyrics of MORD the crowd started chanting "Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, Bono, Bono". Maybe that kind of stuff can be edited out, but I don't think it goes too well with the solemnity of the song ;) Still, a great concert overall and the crowd was fanastic -- maybe even surpassing the Milan 2 crowd which also blew me away.

PeterD said:
True enough, but remember the days when a concert video was actually shot during one concert? ;)
right, these days are really over, especially when the Jerry-Bruckheimer of Music DVD Hamish Hamilton is directing.

PeterD said:
The second Milan show was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if they took some of the audio from the first show and used it over footage from the second night. Some (if not all) of the Milan tracks from U2.Communication are from Milan 1 (Miss Srajevo definitely is.)
you could be right. I also read in Willie Williams Tour Diary that the second show was fantastic - he must be a good judge on this subject.

I really hope that we see the IMAX film in a 2D Version. Ife you shoot for IMAX 3D you must make less cuts - also no zooms. This is what I want to have for my own television. This is what I like so mutch about Rattle and Hum - best Music- Film ever. Just great pictures witch fit to the music and doesn`t give me a headake. I really hope that Hamilton is not involed in the IMAX Project, I hate his style.

He was also involed in the Sao Paulo shooting.

Last edited:
I must say that the Santiago concert was, by far, much better than both Buenos Aires nights (I didn't see the brazilian ones) ... It's a pitty that the producers (argentineans) didn't thought it well from the begining and saw Chile like a minor step.

cypress said:

According to Imax.com there are 8 Imax locations in the United Kingdom:

Belfast
Birmingham
Bournemouth
Bradford
Bristol
Glasgow
London
Manchester

Here in Wisconsin it shows only 2 Imax's:

Madison
Milwaukee

hey, another Wisconsinite! where in WI are you from?

Back
Top Bottom