tour wrap up, highlights, +'s and -'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did I go....
Chicago 5/7....opening night...my husband won the lottery and we were first ones in the sacred ellipse. Actually, he is on the DVD2 saying, "I got is, (my name)", as people are getting their tickets scanned. I loved this show, of course, but many others didn't. I did notice that Bono seemed a bit unusually stand-off-ish.
Chicago 5/10....outside ellipse at the tip by Chip....great show!
Chicago 5/11....lower level seats on Adam's side.....I feel this was the best of all of the 1st leg Chicago shows!!!!!
Chicago 9/20....outside of tip by Chip....it was at this time that I started noticing the same people in the ellipse.....mysteriously. So far, I had only been to the above shows....BUT I had seen video footage, pictures and what not from many other shows....I have a photographic memory with faces.....
Milwaukee in Sept....can't remember the date. Actually took my daughter because she loves the Edge. We got to the arena around 6:30 and they just slapped an ellipse band on us and sent us in. We stood at the back of the ellipse.....had a blast!
Cleveland 12/10......Great show, didn't win the lottery, but my brown eyed friend from Argentina did. We were lit up santas in front of Adam on the rail.....great time! O.K. this is when I really noticed a trend. I personnaly never won the lottery, but happened to be with 2 people who did....one in Chicago and the other in Cleveland. There was a girl who cut in front of me in Chicago with her friend and also decided to cut in front of me in Cleveland. I won't mention her name or anything else about her other than you all 100% know who she is. I asked her kindly not to cut for everyone around us. She said she needed to do it because that is how "they" got into the ellipse with "their" little group. She set the tone that it was basically her right. You know....she was chosen by God to be there. On the other hand....good for her, I guess...in a strange way.....
Anyhow, was going to go to St. Louis for a Christmas present for my daughter so that she could possibly meet Edge. ......long story, but she deserves anything good that comes her way. I ended up not going. I didn't want to stand in line all day again and didn't want to miss anymore work.
I remember seeing War at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, Joshua Tree at the U0fI, Zoo at Tinley Park in Chicago, and Pop Mart at Soldier Field. I would say that my favorite was Joshua Tree at UofIllinois. After the show was over, Bono and company walked up to a sorority house, knocked on the door, went in, partied, and Bono sat at their baby grand piano and played tunes....yes it is true.
O.k. a little off track there....but I will have to say that their shows now, are too planned, too staged, too expected. I like the looseness of the old shows. I know most of you weren't probably ever at any of those shows so you probably can't compare, but for those of you who were....you know what I am talking about.
I probably will see them the same amount of times as this tour on the next tour, but beyond that....I might ruin it for myself. U2 always makes me feel like I am 16 again for those 2 or so hours. I will be there seeing them when they are in their 60's.
As for GA, lottery etc. I think they should go back to the earliest members of Propaganda and send you an assigned wrist band, computer chip thing in the mail. The earliest members would have picks on the best "seats" in the arena, starting with the front row on back. As far as the line up goes, let's do that like Pearl Jam.....longest members of fan club are secured the best section, but those seats are determined on a first come first serve. The rest of the seats are given out per your year of signing up for the fan club etc etc. Eddie Vedder and company could care less if they see the same freaking faces in the front row at every single show.
So, there is my wrap up! Take it love it or hate it.....it is what it is......
peace to all and good cheer!
uf

You are right about that! I am with you on that one. I have met some very, very cool people and made long lasting friendships through the line thing. Yes....that is definitely a big +++
:yes: :yes:

unforgettable fire said:

Chicago 5/10....outside ellipse at the tip by Chip....great show!

GMAchicagofans001_0001.jpg

Re: Re: tour wrap up, highlights, +'s and -'s

Chizip said:

It appears I have some footage of Chizip as well but as it is on a DVR and I don't know how to get it off of that it will stay off of interference :(

my highlight would be being in the ellipse at the rail with some very cool people :D

Chizip said:

I love the quote ABC's crawler is running "Dictator stripped to his underwear"
Crowd: "YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!" :lol:

+1 For Amazing setlists and great song selection for any U2 fan. Except those who only like October. :huh:
+1 For Being at the bestest show this tour Vegas 2 and thats a fact... in my opinion :wink:
+1 For U2 sounding amazing, even better than Elevation to me.
+1 For an incredible new album to promote that translated very well live. (LAPOE anyone? :hyper: )
+1 For Edge being on fire constantly, with a new sense or rejuvination to us.
+1 For lots of Adam love going around, as he seems to be coming into the spotlight alot more this tour, and i liXes that alot
+1 For Larry playing a keyboard with as much wincing and determination as a drum set
+1 For the completion of an amazing tour :D

-1 For not knowing about setlist parties sooner! :rockon:
-1 For no U.S. Stadium Tour yet. :sad: (I am cry)
-1 For One Tree Hill snippet, but not full song. :tsk:
-1 For the completion of an amazing tour :(

My tour summary: 9 shows, 5 cities. Chicago 5/7 (sec 226), 5/9 (GA, second row tip of the outside rail), 9/20 (GA, rail outside tip slightly Edge side), 9/21 (GA, outside rail Adam side); Pittsburgh 10/22 (GA, ellipse front row center!); Detroit 10/24 (GA, ellipse back rail Edge side), 10/25 (GA, ellipse front rail b/w Bono and Edge); Cleveland (sec 229); St Louis (GA, second tip row outside rail).

+ so many shows within a days drive for me

+ getting in the ellipse 3 out of 6 GA

+ Bono saying something to me into the mic on 10/22

+ seeing so many people I've met having their moments on stage, and Laura who I've known since we were 4 playing Party Girl

+ meeting so many cool people through Interference, enabling me to decide to catch more shows within a day's notice and be able to get rides and tickets

+ shaking Bono's hand through the fence

+ meeting Larry, getting a pic, and shaking his hand and thanking him

+ surprise song favs: Miss Sarajevo, Yahweh

+ being forced to be exposed to some really great/fun opening bands I never would've looked into (Damian Marley, Kanye West)

- not a real complaint since I truly am satisfied, but obviously the ticket presales and general sales had issues and also the inconsistencies with the lottery system

- I wish the band would've spent a bit more time out on the ramps

Chizip said:
Awesom picture Chip! I don't think I ever saw that post yet! I love it!
I actually look semi not dorky there!
Did you make it to STL? Did you get into the ellipse? I got sick so ended up not going! My daughter was crying and saying "I'll never get to see the Edge and tell him that I think he is a good music player"....cute.....surely next tour I can arrange that.
peace,
susan
I hope to God you were in the Ellipse......FINALLY!!!!

As it's still almost 4 months til the tour ends, we're kind of jumping the gun talking about the tour wrapping up. All that's ending is the third of 4 legs of the tour. I understand that for many people their shows are done, but for a lot of other people on Interference, their shows are yet to come.

Back
Top Bottom