Total Attendence and Gross figures for Vertigo Tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
schnumi said:
So U2 what will we do next tour?

Right give europe more shows please. What about 2 legs in europe and 1 big one in the US?

:shh:

US will get mad, what with being so underplayed on this tour.

And as far as I'm concerned selling the full capacity/selling every ticket put on sale are both legitimate "sell outs".

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so the band played to half a million more people in europe than they did in the US/Canda...

man... europe got screwwwwwwed

u2 are europeans :shrug:

you guys can go listen to your own bands :madspit:

I'm gonna rent out a stadium, make only 3 tickets available for sale, rock out, and then I can say I played to a sold out stadium :drool:

adrball said:
Why do they want to say a show is sold out and prevent someone buying a ticket when they probably know more are to be released later.

But they don't know that. They didn't stop releasing tickets to Sydney III until 8pm on the night of the gig. And they would have released 15,000 more if there were 15,000 more people waiting in line. But there weren't. So they didn't. So they say they sold every ticket on sale and that therefore it was a sell out, even though the two sell outs to the two previous gigs were 15,000 tickets higher.

So Chizip is correct. We can book him in to play the same 80,000 seat stadium, only offer 3 tickets for sale. One for you, one for me, one for Chizip's mother. Sold out stadium gig! But let's not all go for beer at once, I hate lining up.

It's technicaly right and wrong at the same time. It was a sell out show, but not a full capacity show as Sydney I & II were,

Oh, and there is a difference. If Sydney III had sold 75-80,000 as Sydney I & II had, and therefore total attendance to the three Sydney gigs had hit about 220,000, it would have been an attendance record for a single stint by a band/artist in Sydney (& therefore Australia). Unfortunately that honour goes to..... Dire Straits of all people, who played 21 gigs in a row at the 10,000 capacity Sydney Entertainment Centre in the 80's.

Our taste in Sydney has somewhat improved since then.

its not wake up, because that one would be more appropriate at the end of the show.

Chizip said:
I'm gonna rent out a stadium, make only 3 tickets available for sale, rock out, and then I can say I played to a sold out stadium :drool:

When you gonna make ticket drops available for those who missed out???? :sad:

I wonder how many of the total attendance figures were true fans? 25%? more?

adrball said:
I'll never believe a quoted "SELL OUT" to be a true sell out until they start staying CAPACITY FULL or something similar.

If I hadn't gone back to check ticketek on a regular basis I would never got tickets for a few of the Oz shows through the kosher method. Why do they want to say a show is sold out and prevent someone buying a ticket when they probably know more are to be released later.

For the record...Sydney 3 was fucking amazing despite the fact that a few more thousand could have been squeezed in.

Amusement Business does not certify that a show was soldout until a couple of days after the show itself. For Sydney 3, a sellout was never announced I don't believe. But if all tickets put on sale are sold by the time the boxoffice closes, then it is a sellout according to the industry. Tickets were released in blocks large enough to satisfy the level of demand on a daily basis all the way up until show time.

Chizip said:
so basically the are able to manipulate things to make it technically seem like a sell out in order to boost their ego

This is how the music business has been doing it going back even before U2 was formed as a band. Depending on the size of the stage, lighting rigs, whether its General admission or seats on the field, all cause natural changes in the capacity of tickets that are actually available for the show. This is probably the reason why the current system was developed as every artist depending on their stage show and whether they wanted general admission or not would be causing constant changes in the available capacity. Yes, it does allow some artist to claim a "sellout" with the venue at a greatly reduced capacity for that particular show. Dixie Chicks are actually achieving "sellouts" of several 20,000 seat arena's with attendance levels of only around 11,000.

U2 need NO ego boost in this catagory since they are the top touring artist in the world at the moment, and are one of the top touring artist of all time. In terms of selling the "entire capacity" potentially available for these venue's, U2 has succeeded in doing that for the vast majority of their shows on this tour.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Total Attendence and Gross figures for Vertigo Tour!

STING2 said:

The industry meaning of "sellout" is all tickets that were put on sale were sold. It does not mean the full capacity of the venue was used. The Stones only had 58,000 tickets sold for their concert at the same venue and it was soldout, because every ticket put on sale was sold. The promoters will carefully release tickets in batches based on the corresponding daily sales level, in order to insure that a sellout under these terms is achieved. It does not always happen, but usually it does especially if the artist is very popular.

By the sounds of it they are probably able to remove any remaining tickets from sale at 7:59pm sighting "altered staging" concerns or some such reason to give them a sell out in any event. :hyper:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Total Attendence and Gross figures for Vertigo Tour!

timothius said:

By the sounds of it they are probably able to remove any remaining tickets from sale at 7:59pm sighting "altered staging" concerns or some such reason to give them a sell out in any event. :hyper:

They couldn't do that, but I suppose they could buy the tickets if there were only a small number remaining. They keep track of daily sales and release precisely the number of tickets to meet the average demand if a show is not soldout yet. On the day of a show, its probably done on an hourly basis. As far as the band buying its own product, Paul McGuinness did walk into a store in New York City on the day HTDAAB was released and bought a few copies.

its definitely an ego thing to be able to say every show on the tour was sold out, rather than admitting a few werent...

what other reason is there to do that other than ego?

Earnie Shavers said:
They didn't stop releasing tickets to Sydney III until 8pm on the night of the gig. And they would have released 15,000 more if there were 15,000 more people waiting in line. But there weren't. So they didn't. So they say they sold every ticket on sale and that therefore it was a sell out, even though the two sell outs to the two previous gigs were 15,000 tickets higher.

So why didn't they do the same for the Popmart gigs?

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:

So why didn't they do the same for the Popmart gigs?

They did, but several of the shows failed to sellout the initial batch of tickets that were put on sale. Once the tickets are put on sale, they can't be recalled. In the case of the Vertigo Sydney 3 show, they soldout the initial number of tickets put on sale and put more on sale based on the level of demand in that hour or day.

Another interesting thing is that the first two New York City area Giant Stadium shows on POPMART soldout their initial allotments of tickets and more were not put on sale for a long time in order to boost turnout for the third show. Then a few days before the shows, more were released for the first two shows, but those tickets that were put on sale failed to all sellout, and there for, the shows were not recorded as sellouts the following week when they were reported.

Chizip said:
its definitely an ego thing to be able to say every show on the tour was sold out, rather than admitting a few werent...

what other reason is there to do that other than ego?

Again, if the system was really rigged to the degree you seem to claim it is, there would not have been so many shows that failed to sellout on the POPMART tour. Its not a perfect system, and if demand is spotty, when you release more tickets, you run the risk of not selling out. Many POPMART shows failed to sellout their initial allottment of tickets. Other shows achieved initial sellouts and then later put more tickets on sale in the weeks and days before the shows. In the case of the first Giant Stadium show near New York City, this resulted in a show that soldout its initial allotment of tickets on the first day, not selling out at all. So it goes both ways. On the Vertigo tour, the maximum capacity of the venue was almost always used, except for a few cases, with Sydney 3 being one of them. Yet, demand was still strong enough that the ticket drops sold easily.

Back
Top Bottom