Ticketmaster charges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
Anybody know how much ticketmaster charged in addition to the ticket price? Was it the same if you bought 1 ticket as if you bought 2? Thank you

For me, there was an $8.75 "Ticketmaster Conveinence Fee" on each ticket. Big ripoff, if you ask me. Just another reason to absolutely hate Ticketmaster.

the charges are per ticket ... for example
I bought two GA's to Philly
each ticket was $49.50 + $2.00 Building/Facility Charge + $8.75 Convenience charge. For the two of them the total was 123.55.
I also bought a NJ GA in the presale ... I don't remember exactly but I think they took off the convenience charge since it was the fanclub sale.
Hope this helped!

the seat tickets had $20 "convenience fee" plus $8 or something to "mail it." The only one it's convenient for is slobby TM owners.

That was per ticket.

They must go to the p.o. to mail them in their Hummers if it costs them $8 a ticket.

I hate them.

Last edited:
bonoed said:
the seat tickets had $20 "convenience fee" plus $8 or something to "mail it." The only one it's convenient for is slobby TM owners.

That was per ticket.

They must go to the p.o. to mail them in their Hummers if it costs them $8 a ticket.

I hate them.

Right. You have a real knowledge of how any business works. How do you propose TM pay for their industry leading service? Or the thousands of employees? Or the ever changing administration, anti-fraud, software, training, equipment, maintenance needs?

You bought a ticket in front of your computer in your underwear on a Saturday morning. Probably four to six people handled it before it was put in the mail to you.

Extra fees on top of convenience charges are due to building fees levied by the venue. TM has no claim to these and is required to charge them.

Do you have any idea how much technology and money it takes to have a tour go on sale to millions and millions of people? Let alone the thousands of other events that they are currently selling?

Apparantely not. TM, unfortunately, is not a public utility. They are a business that operates legitimately and charges what the market will bear for the services.

I am not a apostle of TM, but rather understand the magnitude of a tour such as this. I experienced the amount of work that goes into it first hand when I worked for them. I used to hate the charges too, until I realized just how slim their profit margin really is for the service they provide.

Stupid comments like "slobby TM owners" just show your absolute backwards sense of the world. Businesses make money, or they aren't businesses for long. Especially publicly traded ones. This self-entitlement "I deserve U2 tickets hand delivered for free, while I get a massage from Paul McGuinness" is boring.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Right. You have a real knowledge of how any business works. How do you propose TM pay for their industry leading service? Or the thousands of employees? Or the ever changing administration, anti-fraud, software, training, equipment, maintenance needs?

You bought a ticket in front of your computer in your underwear on a Saturday morning. Probably four to six people handled it before it was put in the mail to you.

Extra fees on top of convenience charges are due to building fees levied by the venue. TM has no claim to these and is required to charge them.

Do you have any idea how much technology and money it takes to have a tour go on sale to millions and millions of people? Let alone the thousands of other events that they are currently selling?

Apparantely not. TM, unfortunately, is not a public utility. They are a business that operates legitimately and charges what the market will bear for the services.

I am not a apostle of TM, but rather understand the magnitude of a tour such as this. I experienced the amount of work that goes into it first hand when I worked for them. I used to hate the charges too, until I realized just how slim their profit margin really is for the service they provide.

Stupid comments like "slobby TM owners" just show your absolute backwards sense of the world. Businesses make money, or they aren't businesses for long. Especially publicly traded ones. This self-entitlement "I deserve U2 tickets hand delivered for free, while I get a massage from Paul McGuinness" is boring.

It would seem to me that the cost of processing tickets is pretty much the same no matter the venue or act. So why did I only pay a few dollars for service charges when I bought tickets last year to some shows, but you all are getting charged up to $20 (and then shipping on top of that)? Mind you, I'm not complaining, since I didn't have to pay a lot for the tickets I bought, but it seems to me that a ticket is a ticket and costs the same to process no matter the price of the event ticket. So shouldn't all tickets sold by Ticketmaster be charged one set fee (I understand building charges and mailing costs)? I'm guessing that's why people get irritated at the charges.

I think people would actually be happier if TM's "convienence" fees were folded into the face value of the tickets (epecially for shows where there is virtually no other choice than TM). It's irritating to plan for a certain cost for tickets and then have it go up by 25-50% because of service fees. That's a pretty hefty additional charge no matter how many people handle the tickets.

Last edited:
indra said:

It would seem to me that the cost of processing tickets is pretty much the same no matter the venue or act. So why did I only pay a few dollars for service charges when I bought tickets last year to some shows, but you all are getting charged up to $20 (and then shipping on top of that)? Mind you, I'm not complaining, since I didn't have to pay a lot for the tickets I bought, but it seems to me that a ticket is a ticket and costs the same to process no matter the price of the event ticket. So shouldn't all tickets sold by Ticketmaster be charged one set fee (I understand building charges and mailing costs)? I'm guessing that's why people get irritated at the charges.

I think people would actually be happier if TM's "convienence" fees were folded into the face value of the tickets (epecially for shows where there is virtually no other choice than TM). It's irritating to plan for a certain cost for tickets and then have it go up by 25-50% because of service fees. That's a pretty hefty additional charge no matter how many people handle the tickets.

Ticketmaster charges vary as the costs of mounting a gigantic onsale vary in every region. Needs are different across the board. Convenience charges are kept seperate because the actually ticket charges are not TM's money and the acts do not wish to appear to be charging more for tickets. The system was set up to meet the promoters needs, not TM's. As far as 50% convenience fees? Unless your are buying a $21 dollar ticket this is not very common. Most of the U2 convenience charges were around 5 - 10% of the face value. Less than sales tax in many parts of the country, which I don't remember seeing on any tickets I bought. My two GA's from Denver have a $6.65 convenience charge per ticket. Well worth it since 15 years ago I would have had to travel to Denver, stand in line in the snow, probably not get tickets at the Box office, and then travel home. 6 hours each way. Pretty damn convenient if you ask me.

Last edited:
I think the charges for the Chicago shows were around $10 - $13 per ticket.

I'm not even going to get going on how I feel about TM and their 'service' charges... :madspit:

BTW I always get a chuckle out of how they'll mail you you're tickets via USPS for 'FREE'! My God they're sweet people! :wink:

Last edited:
If it is such a ripoff...go to the venue and buy your ticket. Don't use TM from your home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom