Ticket Broker Warning / PR Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWU2Buffs

War Child
At long last, we have our tour news, and the excitement builds. For those of you considering going the route of a ticket broker, as a desperate back up plan, or an "I'm too busy, but have the cash" plan, consider this --- even 'reputable' ticket brokers can dupe you. With bar code scanning, tickets can be verified as you enter -- ticket brokers can report tickets lost or stolen, and then have legitimate tickets reissued. In this scheme, they buy 4, report them stolen, get 4 more, and then sell all 8 to people like us -- doubles their money. BUT, if you hold the ones reported as stolen, you won't get in because the scanning device will kick it out as an illegitimate ticket. Unfortunately, I learned this hard lesson at Red Rocks trying to see R.E.M. -- if you go through a broker, at least ask.

My quick PR thought - with the tour delay and all the rumors, wouldn't have been just easier for the band to issue a release? IF there was a family illness, why not just confirm it generically -- "a member of the U2 family has a medical issue -- we respect their right to privacy, and ask that our fans respect this right to privacy as well" Maybe it's just me, but PR 101 suggests that you be proactive with what you want to say to pre-empt the questions and rumors. Again, IF such an issues does or did exist, a generic, thoughtful statement sure could have saved a lot of energy -- on these boards, and everywhere.

For those of you within a manageable distance of the first leg - have fun. The rest of us will hopefully catch up in the fall.

BWU2Buffs said:
At long last, we have our tour news, and the excitement builds. For those of you considering going the route of a ticket broker, as a desperate back up plan, or an "I'm too busy, but have the cash" plan, consider this --- even 'reputable' ticket brokers can dupe you. With bar code scanning, tickets can be verified as you enter -- ticket brokers can report tickets lost or stolen, and then have legitimate tickets reissued. In this scheme, they buy 4, report them stolen, get 4 more, and then sell all 8 to people like us -- doubles their money. BUT, if you hold the ones reported as stolen, you won't get in because the scanning device will kick it out as an illegitimate ticket. Unfortunately, I learned this hard lesson at Red Rocks trying to see R.E.M. -- if you go through a broker, at least ask.

My quick PR thought - with the tour delay and all the rumors, wouldn't have been just easier for the band to issue a release? IF there was a family illness, why not just confirm it generically -- "a member of the U2 family has a medical issue -- we respect their right to privacy, and ask that our fans respect this right to privacy as well" Maybe it's just me, but PR 101 suggests that you be proactive with what you want to say to pre-empt the questions and rumors. Again, IF such an issues does or did exist, a generic, thoughtful statement sure could have saved a lot of energy -- on these boards, and everywhere.

For those of you within a manageable distance of the first leg - have fun. The rest of us will hopefully catch up in the fall.

Did you get your $ back from the broker? Or did you have to break his legs?

Back
Top Bottom