Thoughts on performances of early U2 material on Vertigo tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
With the band having played several of the vintage-era U2 songs on the last tour, how does everyone feel about the performances of these songs? Do you think the band did the older songs justice? Did they fit into the set? What was your personal reaction to hearing them or reading that they were being played night after night? The crowd's reaction at the show you attended?

I'm talking about the following songs, from BOY and OCTOBER.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Cry/The Electric Co.
Gloria
The Ocean (snippet)
Stories for Boys (snippet)

Electric Co and Gloria were outstanding. The crowd was into those for the most part at the shows I saw when they were played.

An Cat Dubh, LOVED that they played it. But its pacing in the setlist killed the momentum of the show. A few times it seemed like the crowd was sort of bored. Similiar thing with The Ocean, except obviously it was shorter than An Cat Dubh and Bono would typically incorporate something about where they were playing in it. So it seemed to work OK in that regard.

I liked the older material, but felt that most casual fans didn't understand it.

I wanted to hear Gloria, I Will Follow, Out Of Control, or New Year's Day in Minneapolis (that would have been great)

I'm really surprised they dug back that far, and that they weren't ashamed of the material they had.

Electric Co , I guess everyone agrees it was one of the highlights of V tour

Gloria also shined great,

An Cat Dubh/ITF , Personally I didn't know before Chicago DVD , Must say if I don't love them yet , I do enjoy quite a lot

Stories for Boys was a great snippet to end Vertigo

Ocean Was also great for the surprise , and the atmosphere the song creates

For the experience/ Perfomance , I give it a 9

Best damn setlist decision the band's made in a long time. The Ocean was a bit of a weird choice, but the others were exceptional. The Electric Co. was undoubtedly the single best song of the tour, and Gloria and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart were amazing (I don't get why some people think the latter killed the momentum as it stood out as a highlight to me).

Lemon95 said:
The Ocean (snippet)

:huh: It was played in full, 28 times. Which is the same amount as Bad and five more than All I Want Is You, ha!

Stories for Boys (snippet)

That was such an awesome snippet and it was dropped all too soon.

LOVED The Cry/Electric Co and Gloria. If I listen to these on my headphones I'm literally bouncing in my seat. I originally wanted I Will Follow and/or Out of Control but that's b/c I never expected the other two.

I personally enjoyed An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart more than the Ocean, but I think both were boring for casual fans. My mom was listening to a Chicago bootleg and said "Why are they playing this when they could be rocking out?"

I can see why casual fans would have been a bit bored during The Ocean, but I don't get boredom during ACD/ITH. My girlfriend, a casual fan, went with me to the 2005-05-28, Boston show and I think ACD/ITH was more of a highlight for her than it was even for me! That song is easily one of my best memories from the Vertigo Tour and I wish I'd gotten to hear it more than just once.

Axver said:
I can see why casual fans would have been a bit bored during The Ocean, but I don't get boredom during ACD/ITH. My girlfriend, a casual fan, went with me to the 2005-05-28, Boston show and I think ACD/ITH was more of a highlight for her than it was even for me! That song is easily one of my best memories from the Vertigo Tour and I wish I'd gotten to hear it more than just once.

We all know we loved it, we are not casual fans. Your girlfriend may have liked it, but she was ONE casual fan and she may have been feeding off of your excitement. :shrug: I can only tell you what I saw and that is what it appeared to be. Not sure why that is so difficult to comprehend. Personally, I did think An Cat Dubh was a momentum killer where they placed it in the setlist. I liked that they played it, but it seemed to kill the pacing coming off Electric Co to me.

Axver said:

I don't get it either, but I'm not a casual fan and don't do a good job pretending to be one. It's just what friends and family told me. They thought it was boring and would've rather heard one of their favorite hits like New Year's Day.

The Electric Co. was easily one of the tour highlights, and I prefer the VT performances to the early 80's ones.

Gloria was also good, need more bass solos!

ACD/ITH for me wasn't so great, I am just not a giant fan of those songs and the positioning wasn't wonderful either.

The Chicago DVD performance of Vertigo is my favourite just because of the Stories For Boys snippet, it is truly a GREAT THING (tm).

The ocean was way cool, and had atmosphere in buckets, even if it was a strange choice and bored the CASUAL FAN (tm).

I'll echo everyone else and say that Electric Co. fucking rocked! :rockon: I didn't hear Gloria live but I did on torrents and it was also amazing. They need more oldies in the next tour.

All were bloody amazing, the only nitpick is that Adam should have played the complete bass solo on Gloria.

I like that they dug into the back catalog a little deeper. On the next tour, I'd like to see them play some of the War songs. "Surrender" and "2 hearts" would be good to hear.

The_acrobat said:
I like that they dug into the back catalog a little deeper. On the next tour, I'd like to see them play some of the War songs. "Surrender" and "2 hearts" would be good to hear.

I think Edge would literally be on fire if THBAO were played... there is more chance of Mofo returning.

An Cat Dubh was the highlight of the tour for me. I absolutely love that song and I never thought I would ever hear it live, so it was wonderful.

Well An Cat Dubh/Ocean did lack a bit of energy in my ears compared to older versions, but still that's better than a boring greatest hit!

Two Hearts Beat As One would be great

I feel a bit cheated I never heard Gloria as I think it would have gone off, especially in europe when I was expecting to hear it.

Electric Co. was the best song of the tour for me, Edge is just incredible on that song.

I would have very much appreciated hearing The Ocean, I think it's a great song.

An Cat Dubh I would be interested to hear it live but at this stage would prefer other oldies like A Day Without Me, Seconds or Twilight

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom