Thoughts about what to expect on the 3rd Leg....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quaf069

Babyface
Hey all. I got tickets to Oct 7th show in MSG. Will be my first show ever.

I've watched alot of DVDs and videos of concerts in the past. I'm really excited. However, I have noticed a few things from what i've seen during the vertigo tour this year.

1. Seems like Bono's energy is not there. Looks like age is catching up with him as he is just mostly standing there in most of the songs. Does he run around at the beginiing of streets anymore???

2. Streets. My fav song. Can't wait to see it. However, From the few videos I've seen this year...I'm not looking foward to it and feel I'm going to be dissapointed. It seems to lack energy and the whole Africa intro is very weak (almost boring).

Looking for some good motivation from some people who went to some shows this year to pump me up and tell me this is in my head. Or, am I going to be dissapoionted from Watching the Boston and Slane DVD and expect the best???

Thanks

Matt

Quaf069 said:
Hey all. I got tickets to Oct 7th show in MSG. Will be my first show ever.

I've watched alot of DVDs and videos of concerts in the past. I'm really excited. However, I have noticed a few things from what i've seen during the vertigo tour this year.

1. Seems like Bono's energy is not there. Looks like age is catching up with him as he is just mostly standing there in most of the songs. Does he run around at the beginiing of streets anymore???

2. Streets. My fav song. Can't wait to see it. However, From the few videos I've seen this year...I'm not looking foward to it and feel I'm going to be dissapointed. It seems to lack energy and the whole Africa intro is very weak (almost boring).

Looking for some good motivation from some people who went to some shows this year to pump me up and tell me this is in my head. Or, am I going to be dissapoionted from Watching the Boston and Slane DVD and expect the best???

Thanks

Matt

You won't be dissapointed. If only because as much as watching U2 live on your TV is fun, it doesn't even compare to the real thing...

I've seen a few Vertigo shows already, as well as many Elevation ones, and I didn't find that Bono lacked energy at all. In fact, Vertigo is a much more energetic show than Elevation, but slightly less intimate and emotional. It's true that he spends a bit less time on the catwalk, and he doesn't run around like during Elevation, but I think it's because the songs require him to spend more time on the main stage.
If anything I think he's been signing better that during Elevation.

As for Streets, I have to say I miss the blind lights at the beginning, but they do it later and it works *almost* as well. I personally love the way they play the song and the Africa theme works when you see it in person.

Anyways, you have nothing to worry about. It's your first U2 show ever? You'll be blown away, and won't believe the level of energy and emotion between the band and the crowd. You have to be there to feel it, no DVD can ever show that (although Slane comes close).

don't worry man bono is still the best and his voice is sounding better than ever! i was like you about seeing the new streets but then they started the intro and the whole 80,000 went nuts!!!!

he was a bit tired in vienna but considering the busy day they all had that day it's "normal" not to be in full condition. in katowice and barcelona he and the band were great, lots of relaxing moments (barcelona) and laughter (katowice).. anyway, bono was great!!!
kl

First of all congrats on your first U2 show.

What you don't get watching the DVD is the skin shaking bass and electric atmosphere. That stuff just doesn't translate in a recorded performance.

So while you've seen 'live dvd's' you haven't seen them 'live'. But you will, and I'll be interested to hear your opinion after the show!

You will not be disappointed. And you're seeing them at MSG, no less! That's the holy grail of concert venues. You'll probably have to change your pants afterwards.

I'll be at MSG on the 8th and can't wait.

I've seen them in '87, '92, '01, and have always walked away with an incredible high.

Westblue said:
he was a bit tired in vienna but considering the busy day they all had that day it's "normal" not to be in full condition. in katowice and barcelona he and the band were great, lots of relaxing moments (barcelona) and laughter (katowice).. anyway, bono was great!!!
kl
VERY understandle if they were tired in vienna after live 8 etc, but what i heard he seemed to carry alot of energy into that show, as if he was all hyped up etc

and also i have never gone to a show to see bono sprinting about the stage, if i wanted that i would go and watch some athletics, bono still gets upto his silly little antics lol,

Back
Top Bottom