Those who went to Twickers last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samu2

The Fly
How was the crowd near you? I was sitting and it was a pretty dry crowd,hardly anyone danced,or even stood up,I was wondering if it was just where I was or the crowd in general was poor?

I had an amazing time regardless of some of the stiff people,the set list was amazing,I couldnt have asked for anything else,oh BTW does anyone have the bootleg yet? I guess I should look to see if its been posted,id love to hear it again

same here, i was block 22 and was one of only a few people giving it my all throughout the entire show. the girl next to me actually sat down during the encore!! Sat down!!

most people only seemed to know the new stuff, and alot of the call and response stuff done by Bono was lost on them, leaving me singing at the top of my lungs.

Still had a great time at my first show though.

from where I was up in the north stand looking down, I notice the crowd were pretty static for a lot of numbers, then again they werent too bad when bono let us carry on with some of the singing but yeah, expected more from the crowd

I thought the crowd in ngeneral was noisier than Manchester 2 but a lot of my section sat down. Why???? Jesus people. Give the tickets to someone else instead of sitting there with a face like a slapped arse.

However, applause to the two really young girls in front of me who were clearly enjoying their first U2 experience live. their faces lit up - which made my badly poured sloppy guinness taste better. Note to bar staff in the UK - please let the Guinness settle - we don't mind waiting!!!!!!

people sitting down at a U2 gig!! OMG!!! :mad:

ill go ape for the time U2 are on stage at Croker!!!

ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:huh:

maybe because people just wanna take the show in? watch the spectacle? some people just enjoy shows different to others

First off:

I found the band's performance was great; I have no complaints about that whatsoever.

Princey said:
same here, i was block 22 and was one of only a few people giving it my all throughout the entire show. the girl next to me actually sat down during the encore!! Sat down!!

Hey P, are you the guy from Hull, where I went to uni??? I think it was you anyway! I was in block 22 as well. I couldn't remember which seat you were in so didn't sat hello... but I remember us going on about this earlier in the year, and we were literally just a few seats from each other. :ohmy:

I agree completely about the call and response thing... Like you, I was howling along in all the right places, but it seemed to me as though a great part of our crowd didn't, or at least didn't show it. Hope no-one's offended by that, but I noticed it at the time, and mentioned it to my mate on the way out.

I don't know who sat down during the encore... I know it wasn't me, and I was too busy screeching along to notice. I had to sit down during some songs, because on the way to the stadium I tore a tendon in my foot nastily. Still stood most of the time - I'm paying for it today! wouldn't have missed that gig for anything, though. As a crowd, I thought we sounded really good when we sang along, but the clapping was totally out of synch- we were thoroughly rhythmless. :huh:

Also, I don't know about you... but I noticed that in our block (and those surrounding us), there was barely any response to the One/Make Poverty History texting. I realise that sloads of people have been to the earlier shows and therefore probably did this before... I'm sure (at least, I hope) that some just preferred to wait til after the concert. Still, I was really shocked by it.

'Sold out', my ARSE - from the North stand, we could see there were tons of empty seats either side of us, in the East and West blocks.

I saw many people having a great time though - it was worth every penny and then some.

Still had a great time at my first show though.

It was my first U2 show as well. :) I thought B was in fine voice and it was, all in all a fantastic experience. Edge was really going for it all the way through... and when Bono brought that girl onstage, the look on her face was great to see. Also hilarious when Edge shoved his guitar at her. LMAO!

The 'coexist' part blew me away. As for Streets... :drool::rockon::dancing:

KUEFC09U2 said:
maybe because people just wanna take the show in? watch the spectacle? some people just enjoy shows different to others

You have a point there. I hope everyone enjoyed it - I certainly did. :D

Last edited:
Yep, im a Hull boy through and through! i was in row 28 if thats was anywhere near you? my favourite song of the night was Electric co, although when edge started 'all i want is you' i nearly :combust: !!

am going to the Cardif show next, hope it can live up to the expectations...

one other thing...did anyone else notice the sheer volume of people who were leaving to go out to the toilet or whatever while the band were still playing?? i noticed this at first during 'Still haven't found' but it was going on all night... some people!

sallycinnamon78 said:

Also, I don't know about you... but I noticed that in our block (and those surrounding us), there was barely any response to the One/Make Poverty History texting. I realise that sloads of people have been to the earlier shows and therefore probably did this before... I'm sure (at least, I hope) that some just preferred to wait til after the concert. Still, I was really shocked by it.

got my text back from "Bono" this morning :wink:

Guess the European crowds aren't that much different than the North American ones. People are people.

Princey said:

got my text back from "Bono" this morning :wink:

Yeah, me too. LOL! :D

cmb737 said:
Guess the European crowds aren't that much different than the North American ones. People are people.

I'm not arguing with that, you're totally right. Just thought some of us could have been a little more responsive to the band really... an audience atmosphere can make or break a gig. Ah well.

Last edited:
Princey said:

most people only seemed to know the new stuff, and alot of the call and response stuff done by Bono was lost on them, leaving me singing at the top of my lungs.

Yeah these newbie fans, don't they just piss you off heheheeh.

Princey said:
one other thing...did anyone else notice the sheer volume of people who were leaving to go out to the toilet or whatever while the band were still playing?? i noticed this at first during 'Still haven't found' but it was going on all night... some people!

Yes I noticed cos they kept coming past me with gallons of beer and food etc. They may as well have gone down the pub! I couldn't believe it. My section was really quiet too apart from a few. I made up for them though. The clapping WAS out of sync. I think there was a delay on the sound. I particularly noticed when Athlete were playing their set. The fans on the floor seemed to be totally out of rhythm, but I think it was cos we were hearing it a nanosecond later. Did anyone else notice this? AND no one responded to Arcade Fire. I was the only one standing.:eyebrow:

Princey said:
Yep, im a Hull boy through and through! i was in row 28 if thats was anywhere near you? my favourite song of the night was Electric co, although when edge started 'all i want is you' i nearly :combust: !!

am going to the Cardif show next, hope it can live up to the expectations...

I was in row 29.

I was thrilled because it was such a beautiful evening, but I was disappointed with the crowd. These stadiums are so big and the crowd at the back was off to a very slow start. Not only that, a good portion of section 111 was sitting down during Miracle Drug/Sometimes and even during RTSS. That's what happens when these events become a "family and friends" night out. I can hear it now..."pop pop pop muzik!" But U2 was amazing. Zoo Station was a highlight again...they brought back the goose-stepping Bono on the high screen!! Streets was a ruckus as usual. U2 deserves a 10/10, but the crowd was only OK.

Jon

Last edited:
nicodepiko said:
Is this a Block 22 reunion?
I was in row 23, one of the 4 guys from the Netherlands!

Niet waar?! Ik heb het Nederlands gestudeerd. I finished my degree in Dutch at Hull University in 2003.

I was in section 223,row 64,northf you saw me I was the one going mad,

I also could not believe the ppl all walking about,it was crazy,my mum went with me for the first time so she knows nothing about what its like up front,so she was amazed,and to be honest I only sat because she doesnt like crowds and I really just wanted her to experience it so as long as she loved it I was happy,but yeah compared to Pop mart the crowd near me was crap and one man was giving a girl a piggy back during streets and the bouncers gave him a offical warning told him not to be to hyper

Samu2 said:
I was in section 223,row 64,northf you saw me I was the one going mad,

...the crowd near me was crap and one man was giving a girl a piggy back during streets and the bouncers gave him a offical warning told him not to be to hyper

I remember laughing my socks off at this guy in the back row of the GA area, wearing a huge hat, pogoing like a fool all the way through, and not giving a damn what anyone thought of him - he just enjoyed it as much as he could. Good for him! :)

My friend and I were 62 and 63 (seat numbers, not ages).

On the way out (in Tesco's car park, bus queue) some drunken piece of rectal sputum nutted a security guard. Not impressed.

Waiting in the "Fast Track" (LMAO) Beer Queue, my friend and I heard a guy behind us tell his friend "this is the biggest gig I've been to since Chas and Dave in Potters Bar". :laugh:We nearly died laughing. :lmao:

I was in section 224 and pretty much agree with everything said above. Crowd sang along well with the hits but spent way too much time on their arses, especially in the upper levels where I was.

I enjoyed myself but I couldn't help but feel that the gig felt a bit like a Stones show I went to in 98 - family night out, lots of older people, people sitting down for the whole show, too many "greatest hits", the continual stream of people going for beer and food, etc.

Still, the newer songs were good to see - esp LAPOE and Yahweh. Vertigo twice - was Ok for a sing-along at the end but whatever.

time to stay in the arenas.
anyway, the uk has been notoriously bad for gigs in recent years. theres something too reserved about the crowds. i hear glasgow is better.

Yeah, there were two older couples near me (I was in section 214). One of them were wearing earplugs and I felt just a *tinsy* bit bad about singing too loud, but oh well, that's what concerts (especially U2) are for. :wink:

Not to mention that an entire row left before the encore! WTF?:huh:

Well if anyone was near us in the lower west stand, block 16, it was my sister and I going ballistic straight from Vertigo. I doubt I'll ever get seats again though, too many boring people who sit down for me.. I much preferred being with all the other nutters leaping about on the floor at Manchester. I did think the atmosphere as a whole was awesome though.. Streets and AIWIY were amazing.. Everyone seemed to be singing and jumping and having a great time.

I thought the show was awesome, but it would have been much better if it was dark right from the start. It was just too bright, and we didn't really see any lighting until the second half.

KUEFC09U2 said:

I agree, I know sometimes people tell me I look bored when I having a whale of a time, I went to Man2 and thought the crowd could have been better, I was standing at the front of the main stage, in Man the crowd near me was jumping loads during I Will Follow and The Electric Co and a few other songs.

I went to Twickers2 and thought it was a better show, the crowd seemed to be singing along a lot more. Bono was singing bits of others songs like when he did the line from The Clash's London Burning 'We Live By The River'

In general, I find UK crowds, not a passionate as the rest of Europe, but better than US Crowds (but Ive never been to a U2 show in US yet, *fingers crossed* a stumble across a GA for one of the 7 MSG show.

I was standing very close to the B-stage in Twickers, so was not sure if people at the front of the main stage were going wild, but when Larry came to bang the drums during 'Love & Peace' the crowd near me was going wild, but a lot of people just stood in shock.

I know its been said in other threads, but was extremley impressed with the organisation at Twickers, best organisation for any queue I've ever been in, apart from Elevation in Glasgow, but there was not many people in the queue there until about 4pm and one fan who was at the front had a marker and would write on people's hand what number in the queue they were. Which helped loads.

sallycinnamon78 said:

Niet waar?! Ik heb het Nederlands gestudeerd. I finished my degree in Dutch at Hull University in 2003.

I finished my teaching degree in English in 2004!
Keep up the good work!

section 22 row 23 to the MAXXXXX

last night

I noticed that alot of the upper tiers were generally sat down. I think it's worth mentioning of course that as U2 get older so do the fans, the audience is less likely to be made up of 20-25 year olds who will leap about alot more- not that it stopped me last night- but I was 24 when I went to my first U2 show and if they follow the usual 4 year cycle I'll be 40 the next time they tour

U2 are moving into the Rolling Bones territory- it's inevitable really, and that will affect the type of audience they get.

I avoid seated tickets whereever possible as I hate sitting through concerts

Back
Top Bottom