Those who have a beef with the Vertigo tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apterz

The Fly
A few shows into the tour now, and it seems like most everybody has their opinion on what they like and what they don't. It seems like complaints are focused around 3 areas:

1. Setlist
2. Stage set-up
3. Video / overall presentation

I wanted to ask: If you were U2/Willie Williams, and could design the show in these 3 areas however you wanted, what would the tour look like?

Here's what I would say:

1. Setlist: I'd have 3 "chunks" - the Greatest Hits section (Streets, One, etc...10 songs), the HTDAAB section (7 songs), and a rotating "themed ecelctic" section (4 songs). They're already doing the first two, but instead of just the Boy stuff, I'd love to see it change from night to night...You could have a "2nd half of Joshua Tree" night, a "Fun Acoustic Night", or a "Love Songs" night.

2. Stage set-up: Instead of the ellipse, I like the super-long catwalk extending 3/4 of the way onto the floor. That way, you've got many more "rail" spots / opportunities to get really close, and you don't have to do the lottery - all floor tickets are created equal

3. Video / overall presentation: Totally fine as is. Love the curtains.

What's yours?

my two cents?

i really thought this was the time for a center stage in the center of the arena with no back drop, just fans all around. I know there would be all knids of technical and logistical problems but i thought that would be cool.

i also think if they had the catwalk, most people would be saying "i liked the ellipse, they should have brought that back"

all that being said, i loved the show set up as it is..setlist and everything.

it totally sucks - the sound is horrible, the setlists are crap, the band all sound like shite and the production doesnt gel at all - plus too much pontificating from Bono.

anybody got GA's for LA and Vegas they would sell me?

xellente said:
my two cents?

i really thought this was the time for a center stage in the center of the arena with no back drop, just fans all around. I know there would be all knids of technical and logistical problems but i thought that would be cool.

i also think if they had the catwalk, most people would be saying "i liked the ellipse, they should have brought that back"

all that being said, i loved the show set up as it is..setlist and everything.

For the most part I've loved the shows. If Def Leppard and Metallica can do in-the-round shows, there's no reason U2 can't. I think it would have been a great idea to do an in-the-round; screw the video, just play the music.

I remember Yes back in the mid-70's had a rotating stage in the round which IIRC did about 4 Revs/show if it could be done then.......

I think if we had no internet we'd see a lot more positive reviews, the shows/sets would be a surprise and we wouldn't go into shows with pre-conceived notions and knowing all the nuances of every show; well, all mine are positive anyway !

Desert Dog said:
it totally sucks - the sound is horrible, the setlists are crap, the band all sound like shite and the production doesnt gel at all - plus too much pontificating from Bono.

:laugh:
Yeah sure, I also have the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you:wink:

Last edited:
Desert Dog said:

man thats pretty hypocritical, bagging the shit out of the show and then asking if anybody has tickets to TWO dates! come on man make up ur mind!

quadcaster said:

man thats pretty hypocritical, bagging the shit out of the show and then asking if anybody has tickets to TWO dates! come on man make up ur mind!

I cant believe people wouldnt see right thru my post - it's a joke except about the part needing GA's

quadcaster said:

I think he's joking!!!

Desert Dog said:

You forgot that t-shirts and programs are a rip off, beers cost $8, and Kings of Leon is marginal at best.

I have no tickets to sell, but am looking for somebody to comp me tickets to Minneapolis and St. Louis so I can justify the travel expense.

Anyone?
:wink:

Maybe it IS the internet that is leading to all this negativity about the tour? I went into the two Denver shows not knowing anything about the stage, the setlist, or any of it. The only thing I knew was that there would be an ellipse, that getting into it was strictly by chance, and that Vertigo, Sometimes, Pride, and Streets would be played. I walked out of the first Denver show blown away by how amazing it was. Then the second night, I was even more amazed because - - - - they changed the setlist!!
and I got to hear Gloria and Bad among other songs.

Then I get back home and log on last night only to read all these negative reviews - blah blah same setlist as Phoenix and San Jose, etc etc why don't they change it up more etc etc.

Honestly I was impressed enough that they changed so many songs just between the Wednesday night and Thursday night shows. Its still a pretty highly technical show.

I DO agree though that beers cost too much, t-shirts are a lot, and Kings Of Leon are DEFINITELY mediocre at best (ZZZZZZZZZZ....:) We skipped them Thursday and went to Pikes Peak instead.

I have no beef whatsoever with this tour - though I dont view U2 as gods or as perfect - I just choose to live in a world where my cup is half full and getting fuller

I have nothing against this tour either....i think its great so far! and i'm having a blast!! and haven't even been to a show yet...and won't til November...:)

matt_tx00 said:
Maybe it IS the internet that is leading to all this negativity about the tour? I went into the two Denver shows not knowing anything about the stage, the setlist, or any of it. The only thing I knew was that there would be an ellipse, that getting into it was strictly by chance, and that Vertigo, Sometimes, Pride, and Streets would be played. I walked out of the first Denver show blown away by how amazing it was. Then the second night, I was even more amazed because - - - - they changed the setlist!!
and I got to hear Gloria and Bad among other songs.

Then I get back home and log on last night only to read all these negative reviews - blah blah same setlist as Phoenix and San Jose, etc etc why don't they change it up more etc etc.

Honestly I was impressed enough that they changed so many songs just between the Wednesday night and Thursday night shows. Its still a pretty highly technical show.

I DO agree though that beers cost too much, t-shirts are a lot, and Kings Of Leon are DEFINITELY mediocre at best (ZZZZZZZZZZ....:) We skipped them Thursday and went to Pikes Peak instead.

Excellent point. The more people you have giving opinions, the more chance there is of negative viewpoints. Sometimes it's just best to go and experience things for ones self w/out all of the feedback/commentary.

i find it kind of puzzling that so many people seem to be taking the negative reviews so personally, and getting angry at them, and trying to find a reason why they exist other than this might just possibly maybe not be the greatest tour to ever roam the earth.
a lot of us who have given negative reviews have been going to see this band for years and years, myself since the war tour. so it's not as if we're just random troublemakers jumping on the boards to crash the party. over the years every tour has had something new to offer and has been an exciting event that borders on taking your breath away at moments... this one's just not doing that for some of us.
allthough i did enjoy phoenix 2 pretty well, as a u2 tour vet of 22 years i honestly have to say that this is the most uninspired and limp production they have ever put on the road. the thing looks kind of thrown together, the cues just aren't working very well, the song flow is fairly disjointed, and i'm sorry but city of blinding lights is a horrible opening song... it's a good song, and definitely has a place in the setlist, but as an opener it sucks a lot of the excitement and energy out of the air. you need a good kick start to open a u2 show, and that just isn't it.
you guys can put your fingers in your ears and go LALALALALALALALALA all you want and try to discount anything negative being said at all... but in the end our opinions are just as valid as yours... in some cases even more because some of us are the ones that have been following this band when some of you were in kindergarden. i don't intend that to sound harsh and mean, just truthful.
anyways, whatever, i saw 'em, i'll see 'em again. dissention in the ranks is okay folks... if noone ever complained about anything, then nothing would ever get better.

Back
Top Bottom