This is the Vertigo Tour, not the African awareness tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starsgoblue said:

This post is coming from someone who chastited people a couple months ago for teasing about 'herbal refreshments' at concerts?! I believe you said something like, "U2 would appalled if there was drug use at thier shows and you should be ashamed". Now you're saying this?! Give me a fuckin break.

You're letting him get to you, Stars. :wink:

VertigoGal said:

I do think they should announce that they are donating a certain percentage of their proceeds to DATA or some other charity. I do believe that they probably donate personally, but it seems hypocritical to charge 150 bucks a ticket and then go on about African aid. I think it would make everyone feel a lot better if they'd publicly announce how much they were giving.

I wouldn't consider DATA a "charity". Now, I haven't been to their website lately, but to my knowledge DATA is not setup to campaign for or accept donations. "African aid" is different than donating to charity. Money's not the issue here, it's legislation (which is what DATA does address).

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I wouldn't consider DATA a "charity". Now, I haven't been to their website lately, but to my knowledge DATA is not setup to campaign for or accept donations. "African aid" is different than donating to charity. Money's not the issue here, it's legislation (which is what DATA does address).

I know. But they push for legislature that *among other things* asks for more aid money from the government, ie the taxpayers. That's FINE. It's a great thing. I'd love to see more of our taxpayer dollars (okay, I don't pay taxes yet, but...:wink: ) spent on something other than corporate interests and vacations. I support that.

But U2 are making a buttload of money that they don't need at all on this tour. I know it's their art and they should be paid for it, and I understand supply & demand up to some point, but these ticket prices really are insanely high. So I think it would show how much they care about African issues if they took the extra step of donating a portion of the millions they're grossing to an AIDS charity.

I don't see why people wouldn't think that's a good idea?:huh:

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
But U2 are making a buttload of money that they don't need at all on this tour. I know it's their art and they should be paid for it, and I understand supply & demand up to some point, but these ticket prices really are insanely high. So I think it would show how much they care about African issues if they took the extra step of donating a portion of the millions they're grossing to an AIDS charity.

I don't see why people wouldn't think that's a good idea?:huh:

For all we know U2 ARE donating a ton of money to an AIDS charity. Maybe they just believe in keeping private acts of charity just that - private. Some people are like that.

Bono's shades said:

For all we know U2 ARE donating a ton of money to an AIDS charity. Maybe they just believe in keeping private acts of charity just that - private. Some people are like that.

I know, I know...if I'm not wrong Bono's even said things about not advertising personal donations before. And I totally respect that, and agree with the intent behind it. But they've always announced when they were giving percentages of certain albums/concerts/etc to charities. I just wish they'd do that for this because I have problems putting faith in people and selfishly want them to look better in the eyes of the public. okay?!?!? the truth comes out! are you happy now?:sad: :sad: :sad: :wink:

seriously though, I hope and would guess they make private donations. I just think it would make them look less hypocritical AND WOULD ALSO INCREASE PUBLICITY for the cause if they gave a certain amount of each night's proceeds. that's all.

I thought I had heard somewhere (I think) that at some point U2 will have the concerts available for download at iTunes and that the money raised from that will be going charity. If they aren't they should (its a great idea). This would be a great way to raise funds needed for things like malaria tents, clean wells, vaccinations, education, etc. Bono did say in the last press conference that they are not looking for donations but for change in the governments in how they collect the debt.

Regarding the outrageous ticket prices. I'm thinking there's not going to be a whole lot left. Its gotten so expensive to tour and especially one that is this massive. Unfortunately our ticket costs are reflective to the high insurance rates that the venues are now charging (robbing the artist blind on this). Someone's got to pay for these overblown arenas. Also don't forget the overhead, salaries, union dues, accomodations, fuel for both planes and semi-trucks. I can't even begin to imagine what the price tag just for the North American leg will be. Does anyone know or have heard if they are maybe donating some of the proceeds from merchandising?

*climbing off soap box*

I know they're not getting $160 out of every $160 ticket. But comparing the stage production for ZooTV and PopMart, it's obvious they could probably charge less if they wanted to. Those were in stadiums mostly and had huge sets, but they still made meager profits. That's all they need to make these days, they're filthy rich. Whatever, I'm not one of the ones who'll go around complaining all day about it...I made the choice to spend money on it because it's worth it to me, and I think the band mean well and aren't just greedy bastards who only tour for the $$$ judging by how much passion they seem to put into it. I just wish they were lower.

At any rate, about the iTunes thing, I think that would be great, although I've never heard anything about that. Cool idea definitely though. :up:

Merchandising is a good idea too...maybe they could donate a portion of the EIGHTY DOLLAR vintage T-frickin-Shirts to charity?

I don't mind Bono talking about Africa during the concert. Talk about it all you want (within reason - no hour long rants, but Bono knows better). What did get on my nerves?

The changing of WTSHNN. Keep Africa out of that song. I don't think they should try and attach any sort of direct meaning/cause/metaphor to a song so blatantly...it completely takes one out of the experience. When I saw WTSHNN during the Elevation Tour...it was such a magnificent experience, such an emotional, spiritual one - I even cried a little. I got completely caught up in all of it, in what the song meant to me, and the wonderful red lights, and Bono's emotion...it was amazing.

The Vertigo presentation of WTSHNN never got me very far off the ground. The red lighting was gone, so there was no release at the beginning of the song, and the African flags scrolling down throughout the performance just left me irritated. Like I said - talking about Africa in a concert is one thing, and I don't mind it at all and I think people should be educated. But I don't think a song should be commandeered for a cause in such a forceful way.

Am I making any sense? Did anyone else feel Streets was lessened in power in its new, Africa-specific context? It took away the personal meanings the song had for me (at least during the 5 minutes it was playing) - am I alone in this?

-Miggy

I love the new version of Streets! I like them changing performances of songs so I'm not seeing the same performance tour after tour after tour. But I also like it for my own selfish reasons - as I went to Africa for the first time last summer and am going back this summer. When Bono yells "Africa! Africa! Africa!" I am thinking "yeah, I'll be there soon!" I can't wait to play this new version on my mp3 during those long bus rides. I love the flags too. Last night when Bono said 'Nelson Mandela,' the South African flag scrolled down. Loved it!

But you are certainly not alone in not liking it. About half the fans I met in San Jose didn't like the change either.

Miggy -- I definitely get the impression that a lot of people feel that way.

And I'm going to take the opportunity to once advocate adding Crumbs From Your Table to the set, having it flow into Streets, switching the African flag background to Crumbs, and revitalizing Streets.

knox - great idea! I wouldn't mind the African stuff during Crumbs because the song is so specifically addressing this issue, and the song is new - it hasn't yet settled into the public consciousness the way Streets has. Maybe you can call the band up and tell them to change it!

-Miggy D

Back
Top Bottom