Things said/done by fans during the Vertigo tour that make you go DUH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
longingforBono said:
Yep. A guy left our row during Miss Sarajevo as well. I said to my husband that he obviously had NO IDEA what he was walking out on to go take a piss.
Idiot.

hmm....I must be a bad fan then....Toronto 2 I left after Edge's solo in BTBS (btw the BEST BTBS solo Ive heard all tour) to take a piss and came back in time for Bono to introduce Miss Sarajevo....

Toronto 4 I left to go get water and take a piss just after the opera part in Miss Sarajevo....figured it was as good a time as any....got back for the opening chords of Pride..

is that a no-no? lol

then again, I was chillin by the soundboard which is right by the washroom so I disturbed noone..

:shrug:

Now....for a really idiotic comment - I heard two people ask about Old Man River and Many Rivers To Cross the following question (2 different people, different nights)

"What U2 album is that song off of? I dont remember it"

:lol: :laugh: :banghead:

Last edited:
When I was in Chicago this past May, I had the pleasure (being sarcastic here) of sitting next to the most educated couple in the world. When U2 came on stage the lovely wife said to her handsome husband "I believe those guys playing behind the singer are the support band and the singer is U2". :|
She later yelled at all the fans around her for standing during the show. She and her husband were so pissed off that they left. Needless to say a lovely drunk war of words broke out with the fans in front of me with this couple. Oh what a lovely night that was for me. :wink: :|

My friend had to take a piss right before the show, but we were up against the railing outside the ellipse. She went, and tried to get back, but these really mean people wouldn't let her back to the front and were swearing at her and stuff. Finally she got through, but it made her cry :sad: I felt so bad for her, but the show made her forget about the nasty people :madspit:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
When I was in Chicago this past May, I had the pleasure (being sarcastic here) of sitting next to the most educated couple in the world. When U2 came on stage the lovely wife said to her handsome husband "I believe those guys playing behind the singer are the support band and the singer is U2". :|
She later yelled at all the fans around her for standing during the show. She and her husband were so pissed off that they left. Needless to say a lovely drunk war of words broke out with the fans in front of me with this couple. Oh what a lovely night that was for me. :wink: :|

Dude, sometimes I think people just go to "Observe" a rock concert. :no:

sadisticpenguin said:
Also, the two guys next to us (who were in their early 20's) brought earplugs.

What's so bad about that?

I wore plugs at the two Boston shows I had GA tickets. Glad I did. I like my hearing the way it is.

kakvox said:
My friend had to take a piss right before the show, but we were up against the railing outside the ellipse. She went, and tried to get back, but these really mean people wouldn't let her back to the front and were swearing at her and stuff. Finally she got through, but it made her cry :sad: I felt so bad for her, but the show made her forget about the nasty people :madspit:

ooooooo the things that made me ANGRY!!!!

Toronto 1 - me and my 10 year old son were up against the railing outside the ellipse...he's been in the ACC before, knows his way around, and by the end of the opening act he was hot and needed more water....so he goes out to get it....and on his way back in, knowing him, respectfully asks people to pass....well some hero decided that he should trip him and then give him a good shove when he got back up....when he got to me he was in tears...but quickly recovered when U2 got onstage :)

there were a few other 'moments' like that...I dont think I'll take him that close again if we don't get into the ellipse...not worth it, and he'd much rather have fun and dance than be squished all night...I go to a U2 show to enjoy myself and dance, not trade elbow jabs with people who think that if they get 3 inches closer to Bono they'll magically have a better time :huh:

the soundboard area ROCKS!!! I love it back there! :D

i did think that it was amusing during Toronto 3, being in the ellipse, how the crowd surged back and forth....you didnt need to be pushy, at any given moment you could move around a bit and get a spot to get close to the action...pretty cool actually..

Last edited:
Just last week in Chicago, about 20 mins before being let in on the floor, some lady walks up to the VERY FRONT of the GA line and asks security where to line up, despite dozens of fans having already explained it to her. Hearing that she actually does have to go to the BACK of the line, she's like "are you serious? why do I have to go back? I've been here for like an hour!!!" and the first 50 or so people in line promptly respond, "uh, lady, we've been here ALL DAY....and ALL NIGHT....and ALL DAY YESTERDAY!!!"

Then, the next day, waiting in line at the loading dock to see if Bono will come out, some lady shows up at like 4pm when others have been waiting since noon. She walks right to the front and the girls in front are like "um, lady, the back of the line is that way. We've kind been waiting here all day" to which the lady responds "yeah, I know, I just wanted to quick get a picture and an autograph." Honey, don't we all :banghead:

people who yell for people to sit down at rock concerts and sporting events piss me off.

i mean... sometimes it's neccesary for them to sit down and all. i'm taking my father to the show at the garden on the 11th and he's got a bad hip, so he can't stand the entire time... but he's not gonna bitch to the people in front of him to sit down just because he has to from time to time.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Then, the next day, waiting in line at the loading dock to see if Bono will come out, some lady shows up at like 4pm when others have been waiting since noon. She walks right to the front and the girls in front are like "um, lady, the back of the line is that way. We've kind been waiting here all day" to which the lady responds "yeah, I know, I just wanted to quick get a picture and an autograph." Honey, don't we all :banghead:

Did she eventually move? A few people tried that in Seattle and I came to appreciate the power of an angry mob :wink:.

Then, the next day, waiting in line at the loading dock to see if Bono will come out, some lady shows up at like 4pm when others have been waiting since noon. She walks right to the front and the girls in front are like "um, lady, the back of the line is that way. We've kind been waiting here all day" to which the lady responds "yeah, I know, I just wanted to quick get a picture and an autograph." Honey, don't we all :banghead: [/B]

Some people don't have all day to stand around waiting for Bono to show up. This is not to say that she was right to cut in front of anyone- NOT AT ALL, but perhaps if people didn't line up by the garages all day long it wouldn't be an issue. GA I understand the need to line up for. The garages/loading docks though?
Besides, all this pushing and shoving and exchanging of verbal insults is not at all in the spirit of what I believe U2 actually stands for. The band would be unimpressed IMO. Don't flame me for this!!!!!!!

And the guy who shoved that poor ten year old kid should have been taken out and not let back in. What a jerk.

longingforBono said:
Some people don't have all day to stand around waiting for Bono to show up. This is not to say that she was right to cut in front of anyone- NOT AT ALL, but perhaps if people didn't line up by the garages all day long it wouldn't be an issue. GA I understand the need to line up for. The garages/loading docks though?

Besides, all this pushing and shoving and exchanging of verbal insults is not at all in the spirit of what I believe U2 actually stands for. The band would be unimpressed IMO. Don't flame me for this!!!!!!!

The thing is you don't know what time they're going to show up, so either you make the sacrifice and stand there for hours waiting if you really want to see them or you don't. If a person can't wait that's too bad. It's not in the spirit of U2 either to show up somewhere and decide to stand in front of people who have been waiting all day.

longingforBono said:

Uh, no need to get all upset about it. All I meant by the post was, the lady cuts in front of 200 people and then goes "oh, I just wanted to get a quick picture and autograph" and it was a DUH moment b/c that's why 200 other people were lined up. What did she think they were lining up for?

And I agree, some people don't have time to line up for 5 hours for just the possibility of saying hi to Bono (and I do find it a bit rediculous), but if everyone DID just LINE UP in order like normal people, NO ONE gets shafted. People lined up starting at 10am on the 20th and I got in line right before Bono showed up and when he got out, he took the time to say hi to EVERYONE regardless of when they got in line. I got the same smile and handshake as everyone who'd been in line since that morning, but I didn't have to cut in front of a hundred people. So, in response to your statements, it ISNT an issue even if people do show up at the loading docks in the morning b/c if people aren't cutting and being jerks about it, they'll still get their turn.

kakvox said:

Well, to be fair the people may have had good reason to. They may not have seen her go to the toilet, and so thought that she was pushing to get to the front. If you were queueing all day, wouldn't you be annoyed that someone pushed in front of you who turned up 10 mins before?

An example, during Dublin 3 I was about 3 people fron the front of the stage, and knew I had to go for a piss. So I pushed my way through the crowd [which wasn't too big, luckily], and when I was coming back, I got a few dirty looks. Not as bad as your son got, but I could FEEL their looks. :wink: Also, about 20 mins before U2 came on, this woman who was obviously away with the faries pushed right up to the front. An American woman beside me tried to stop the woman, but she bulled on regardless. She said she was queueing from 7am [yeah, DRINKING from 7am more like!]. Maybe Irish crowds are just different from American ones. I'm fairly sure that no Irish crowd would push over a 10 year old.

And re: The Rim, that's just too funny to be sincere. I'm not sure I can believe the guy was serious when he said it. :lol:

My girlfriend came up front of one of the b-stages, extremely happy, and she tried to reserve space for me. Another person got a space next to her, but there was still room for me - as she still waited and tried to make some space for me. The person that came after her , who got his space at the b-stage, started to threathen my girlfriend. He told her to move, and that he wouldn't tell her one more time - repeatedly. She came back where I was, very upset, sad and afraid. He litteraly forced her away so she lost her space, even though she was there first. I didn't only said DUH.

Last edited:
ElectricalVoice said:
My girlfriend came up front of one of the b-stages, extremely happy, and she tried to reserve space for me. Another person got a space next to her, but there was still room for me - as she still waited and tried to make some space for me. The person that came after her , who got his space at the b-stage, started to threathen my girlfriend. He told her to move, and that he wouldn't tell her one more time - repeatedly. She came back where I was, very upset, sad and afraid. He litteraly forced her away so she lost her space, even though she was there first. I didn't only said DUH.

WHAT?! YOU DIDN'T SLAP THE FACE OF THAT ASSHOLE?!?!
i'm against any violence action, but in certain cases there are people who would really deserve a kick in the teeth......

the twickenham queues were great: they had us all queued up in this huge snake formation of barriers. from the front there was a huge gap (a road of sorts) and then just before the actual gates a few more meters of empty barriers which were there as a filter to keep everyone in order as they went through the gates so there wasn't a free for all in the 20 meters between where the queue started and the entrance (a very good and well planned queuing system i thought)

so at like 3 pm loads of people start arriving and i could't count how many times people tried to walk into this empty queueing section.

they were actually opening up the closed barriers at the entrance to get in and when security would walk up to them and tell them that they couldn't go there they'd be soooo surprised that that wasn't in fact the (empty) queue! i mean what the fck did they think the 4000 people standing behind them were doing?
also, the amount of people that would walk all the way past the 4000 people and then try enter the front of the queue, not because they were trying to jump the line but just because they were stupid.
they'd just utter the words all surprised like "is THAT the queue?!?!"
no you moron, they're a couple thousand of us hanging about here because we've really got nothing else to do today.

i just couldn't understand why people could walk up to a rows of a couple thousand people and still try queue right outside the gate thinking they were the only people there yet, or the people who would walk up to security at the front and ask "is this the queue?" and then get shocked by the answer

what do you think it is?????

ElectricalVoice said:
No, I tried to find him and talk to him (and ask him if he liked to threaten women), but I couldn't find him in the crowd.

you would have shown your intelligence :up: :up:
it's sad when those kind of elements are able to make you angry right in the moments when you're supposed to have extreme fun...........

digsy said:
the twickenham queues were great: they had us all queued up in this huge snake formation of barriers. from the front there was a huge gap (a road of sorts) and then just before the actual gates a few more meters of empty barriers which were there as a filter to keep everyone in order as they went through the gates so there wasn't a free for all in the 20 meters between where the queue started and the entrance (a very good and well planned queuing system i thought)

so at like 3 pm loads of people start arriving and i could't count how many times people tried to walk into this empty queueing section.

they were actually opening up the closed barriers at the entrance to get in and when security would walk up to them and tell them that they couldn't go there they'd be soooo surprised that that wasn't in fact the (empty) queue! i mean what the fck did they think the 4000 people standing behind them were doing?
also, the amount of people that would walk all the way past the 4000 people and then try enter the front of the queue, not because they were trying to jump the line but just because they were stupid.
they'd just utter the words all surprised like "is THAT the queue?!?!"
no you moron, they're a couple thousand of us hanging about here because we've really got nothing else to do today.

i just couldn't understand why people could walk up to a rows of a couple thousand people and still try queue right outside the gate thinking they were the only people there yet, or the people who would walk up to security at the front and ask "is this the queue?" and then get shocked by the answer

what do you think it is?????

:coocoo: :coocoo: these are stupid people

Uh, no need to get all upset about it. All I meant by the post was, the lady cuts in front of 200 people and then goes "oh, I just wanted to get a quick picture and autograph" and it was a DUH moment b/c that's why 200 other people were lined up. What did she think they were lining up for?

And I agree, some people don't have time to line up for 5 hours for just the possibility of saying hi to Bono (and I do find it a bit rediculous), but if everyone DID just LINE UP in order like normal people, NO ONE gets shafted. People lined up starting at 10am on the 20th and I got in line right before Bono showed up and when he got out, he took the time to say hi to EVERYONE regardless of when they got in line. I got the same smile and handshake as everyone who'd been in line since that morning, but I didn't have to cut in front of a hundred people. So, in response to your statements, it ISNT an issue even if people do show up at the loading docks in the morning b/c if people aren't cutting and being jerks about it, they'll still get their turn.

I didn't think I was getting all upset about it. Just airing a different perspective.

longingforBono said:

I didn't think I was getting all upset about it. Just airing a different perspective.

That's fine, I just don't see how there's different ways to be waiting in line. You're either in your rightful spot, or you're cutting.

Oh, I thought of another one. At the sept 21 show my boyfriend and I were on the rail outside the ellipse on Adam's side. This chick right behind him first taps him on the shoulder and asks if she can switch spots b/c she's short. My boyfriend is really friendly and honestly tells her in the nicest way possible that he's been in line since Monday afternoon for that spot, but is willing to let her squeeze in towards the end of the show. Well, that wasn't enough for her and she goes "but....I have blonde hair and I need Bono to pull be up on stage b/c I know he loves blondes! And I have big boobs so I know he'll pick me! But he can't pick me if he can't see me behind you!" I really hope she was drunk and isn't actually that pathetic! :lol:

Oh, I thought of another one. At the sept 21 show my boyfriend and I were on the rail outside the ellipse on Adam's side. This chick right behind him first taps him on the shoulder and asks if she can switch spots b/c she's short. My boyfriend is really friendly and honestly tells her in the nicest way possible that he's been in line since Monday afternoon for that spot, but is willing to let her squeeze in towards the end of the show. Well, that wasn't enough for her and she goes "but....I have blonde hair and I need Bono to pull be up on stage b/c I know he loves blondes! And I have big boobs so I know he'll pick me! But he can't pick me if he can't see me behind you!" I really hope she was drunk and isn't actually that pathetic! :lol:

:rolleyes: some people never cease to amaze me. I got "the tap" at a show on the first leg, where a woman behind me asked for my spot on the rail. i said, "when you sleep in your car the night before the show, YOU can be on the rail."

:crack:

Bodnex said:

Well, to be fair the people may have had good reason to. They may not have seen her go to the toilet, and so thought that she was pushing to get to the front. If you were queueing all day, wouldn't you be annoyed that someone pushed in front of you who turned up 10 mins before?

Well, to be honest, I was a little tiffed at my friend for having to go take a piss. I mean, did she really have to drink a beer and water before the show? But, I cut her some slack seeing it was her first U2 show and first concert where getting your spot was essential. What I don't understand is that people must think my firend was actually attempting to go to the rail and grab a spot. I mean, what makes them think she'd actually be able to do this, if she already hadn't been there.

All I know, is that having it happen to you makes you think how to treat others in similar situations. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom