The whole Stadium vs Arena debate...yet again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR#9

The Fly
Being that it was a big discussion leading upto the european leg I thought it would be cool to revisit the topic now that Europe has had 3 shows already.

To me in reading the reviews the outdoor experience has been subpar for numerous reasons.

---the sound appears to have been dreadful, especially last night.At least in large portions of the stadium

---the stage is too low and many are unable to see the band.

--people getting crushed against the barricades and constantly having to fight for space

---and last but not least the fact that it is still daylight absolutely sucks and guarentees that you will not experience the full effects of the Vertigo tour.

But keep on telling people how much better the stadium experience is over arena's...:huh:

didn't notice the sound problem, i was sat in south stand 2nd tier, thought it sounded great, but agree about it still be daylight, we missed out on a lot of the lighting effects that's for sure, i preferred popmart and elevation. Still wouldn't have missed last night for the world!!!:drool:

Ok, haven't been to arena shows, but:

The bigger the crowd, the better.
Anyway some Stadiums have roofs... didn't you see the Gelsenkirchen pics?

There was no sound problem where I was stood. Indeed, when I saw them in an arena, the sound was very poor.

Stadiums every time.

stadiums, it was just so weaird and so cool, one minute they just rocked out in the sun, the next was dark, lights everywhere, i didnt notice any sound problems and i was stood half way down the field, and could actually see better than when i was on the outside of the barrier on adams side, (ended up moving because of drunked people)

Arena shows are great but, given U2s rise in popularity again it isn't really an option here in the UK. The stadiums all sold out in hours - if they played say 3 arena shows in each city, that would still not cater for the same amount of audience.

seeing more then half the show in daylight SUCKS no matter what way anybody tries to cut it.

play it cool said:
Arena shows are great but, given U2s rise in popularity again it isn't really an option here in the UK. The stadiums all sold out in hours - if they played say 3 arena shows in each city, that would still not cater for the same amount of audience.

Is there any merit to the idea that there aren't as many quality arena sized venues in Europe? Most of the arena's played in North America are virtually brand new (save a few...) and actually sound decent (mind concerts inside or out rarely sound incredible)? 20,000 people in a very relatively small space is still pretty intense.

Last edited:
They both have something to envy in my opinion.
Inside: Your closer and more personal, better sound, the Ellipse...
Outside: A huge spectacle, great atmosphere, a large production...

I see no disadvantage to either, so be happy with what you are going to see.

adele said:
didn't notice the sound problem, i was sat in south stand 2nd tier, thought it sounded great, but agree about it still be daylight, we missed out on a lot of the lighting effects that's for sure, i preferred popmart and elevation. Still wouldn't have missed last night for the world!!!:drool:

Hi Adele
We didn't need our brollies!!!! I went tonight too. Had GAs and ended up in fantastic seats on the bottom tier, close to Adam's catwalk.

I've seen U2 8 times in the Arenas and 6 times in the Stadiums and I have to say that every stadium show was just more exciting for me. Something about huge, endless crowds singing in unison that does it for me.

Stadiums every time.
JR#9 I love your take on European shows being subpar and not as special as areans based on reading reviews!! :lol:
But keep on convincing yourself arenas are better than stadiums even though you're not getting a stadium tour :huh:

It’s a matter of taste I guess but I prefer arenas because stadium sound generally sucks though the spectacle may be better in stadiums. Arenas do seat fewer fans but even the “bad” seats are pretty good and in strong markets they play multiple dates. Also, the setting in arenas is a bit more intimate and it’s easier for the band to make a connection to the audience and vice versa. I couldn’t imagine doing GA in a stadium in the middle of summer anyway. It was cool as a kid but as an adult…I don’t think so.

I saw Elevation in an arena and Vertigo in a stadium. Stadiums are, for me, way better than arenas. There's a much better atmosphere and you can do a lot more with the production (giant screen etc). So, stadiums for me!

achtung y'all said:
Stadiums every time.
JR#9 I love your take on European shows being subpar and not as special as areans based on reading reviews!! :lol:
But keep on convincing yourself arenas are better than stadiums even though you're not getting a stadium tour :huh:

I have 15 arena shows locked up, saw 5 on the 1st leg and have 10 coming on the second so jealous is certainly one thing I'm not.

And I've seen them numerous times in stadiums and it doesn't compare to seeing them at MSG or up in Boston in an arena.

But keep telling yourself that seeing more then half the vertigo tour in DAYLIGHT is so great because that blows.

And when your stuck behind 20k people who have their hands up and can't see because the stage is so low keep on telling yourslef how great it is because guess what, that blows as well.

Difference in the venues -could it be due to the time of year? Leg 1 - crappy weather, still cold thru most of it. Leg 2- its summer, outdoor concerts would rock! Leg 3 - back to crappy weather in the US.

1stOne said:

Hi Adele
We didn't need our brollies!!!! I went tonight too. Had GAs and ended up in fantastic seats on the bottom tier, close to Adam's catwalk.

Hi 1stOne
Yeah it was great that we didn't need our brollies. I couldn't believe it when the sun came out, you got good seats then, we were sat at the back, 2nd tier but I enjoyed it because I could see everything! Our friends did what you did because they said there wasn't anyone sat in the front row seats apart from a cheeky security guard!
Wish I was able to watch the show again last night, never mind, I'm saving up now for next time, want to see them in Barcelona next!!:wink:

I have seen U2 inside at 2-3,000 seater venues right up to Slane with 90,000. The best I have seen U2 was at Slane 01, Cardiff 93 and Birmingham NEC 2001. When I saw them in the early 80s in smaller venues IMHO they didnt have the songs or the production before UF era.

Make of it what you will but Manchester on Tuesday was very, very good in my top five U2 gigs.

Personally if its a mid week gig I like arenas back from work, off to venue, crash bang wallop, jobs a good un.

If its the weekend, get up, get to venue, beer, beer, lie in the sun, beer, beer, have a laugh, beer, beer, more laff and sun, beer, beer, U2, jump around, be anoying and obnoxious, jump around, shout, sing, stagger home, go to bed.

To sum up both are ace, come on its U2.

One thing after Tuesday in Gunchester, them Mancs Oasis will have to be pretty brilliant at MK Bowl to get any emotion out of me, the standard was set on Tuesday.

i'm very surprised by the whole going on in broad daylight thing... what time have they been going on? one would think that if they went on at 9pm like they did in the states that it would be dark enough by then to get the full effect of the video screens.

ponderous... f'ing ponderous.

have they ever done this before?

JR#9 said:

I have 15 arena shows locked up, saw 5 on the 1st leg and have 10 coming on the second so jealous is certainly one thing I'm not.

And I've seen them numerous times in stadiums and it doesn't compare to seeing them at MSG or up in Boston in an arena.

But keep telling yourself that seeing more then half the vertigo tour in DAYLIGHT is so great because that blows.

And when your stuck behind 20k people who have their hands up and can't see because the stage is so low keep on telling yourslef how great it is because guess what, that blows as well.

Dude, if you already had formed an opinion about this and are going to argue with everyone who says a stadium is better, why start the thread?

My $.02 is that U2 is that each show has it's advantage. I've seen Popmart, I've seen Elevation. During the Popmart tour, which I think was f**king amazing, I found myself saying that I wish they would play arenas again just to see what that would be like. Then during Elevation, I kept wishing I was seeing them in a stadium again. I like the arena tour. Smaller venue, better sightlines, it's dark, etc., but it's also an arena. You know who else plays arenas, Slipknot, Larry the Cable Guy, Eminem, Wiggles on Ice, the Circus, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Britney Spears, N'Sync, Maroon 5 and many others. I'm not insulting any of those acts/shows, I'm just making the point that U2 playing stadiums separates themselves from everyone else. When there is an event at a stadium it just becomes a "bigger" event, and I think U2 should be a "bigger" event and create a huge buzz when they're in town. Plus how many band have been able to pull of a stadium show (in the U.S.) successfully over the course of time? I can think of The Beatles, Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd (??), Michael Jackson, INXS. There's probably others, but pulling off a stadium show puts U2 into a different stratosphere in rock'n'roll history.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm very surprised by the whole going on in broad daylight thing... what time have they been going on? one would think that if they went on at 9pm like they did in the states that it would be dark enough by then to get the full effect of the video screens.

ponderous... f'ing ponderous.

have they ever done this before?

It gets dark later in Europe. The shows in Belgium and Germany did start at 9PM and it was still light out.

Back
Top Bottom