The Vertigo Show is in the Round.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone complaining that Larry would never go for a rotating drum kit remember this:

Bono got him in the damn lemon.

This is nothing. :madspit:

I love the idea of in the round and no......that doesn't make more video impossible at all.......especially in No. Am arenas. Many are already made to handle such video for sports.

Last edited:
bonosrage said:
Yeah, and Bono's going to come zipping in above the crowd on a tight rope. No offense, but that's hogwash.

Gosh, really? I couldn't possibly have been joking, I guess. Stupid me.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
sandiegoarena.jpg

meh... doesn't look like it's in the middle of the arena to me, but perhaps my eyes are lying to me.

This "egg" photo has not been confirmed by the band or management. I think it is a decoy made so that there really is a surprise when the stage is in the middle of the floor.

JOFO said:
it's not gonna happen;

they've already said they're gonna use more video stuff this tour;

putting it in the round makes that logistically improbable.

I don't by this argument either...if they are "in the round" that in and of itself requires more video to get the images projected to what is happening when the stage is currently not facing you, i.e. I think they will have a round video wall above the stage, something new and grand for the "in the round" set up.

Actually hasnt that layout already been proven incorrect since they did seal seats behind the stage, unlike the greyed out area on that chart?

neutral said:

and to do the Electrical Storm video... :hmm: :wink:

AND he also had a spot on the mic during Popmart's karaoke section singin "Dirty Old Town" too :larry: :up:

Edge's version of Rod Stewart's "Sailing" at the Edinburgh gig was rather good as well!

At every show I saw during Elevation they sold the seats behind the stage even though that was an "end stage" set up, so I don't think selling those seats proves they will be in the center of the floor this time, I just think it fits with the Vertigo theme, like I said this was my prediction back in November when the video aired, but it is just that a predicrtion, it may be wrong, but I have a stong feeling it is not.

Where did that stage layout come from anyway? It suddenly appeared online and everyone accepted it as fact. But why? I put no stock in that layout at all.

Rob,

I agree that selling all the tix around the arena does not mean that the stage si definately in the center but it does mean that that diagram is not accurate....

Last edited:
I saw the layout for my concert (Glasgow) on TM's site yesterday. It was just an overview, with no details as in what the actual stage set-up would look like.

I think it's going to be a case of "Wait and see", tho' the Vertigo theme is probably a good bet.

I like the look of the oval/egg stage. That means that GA fans will most likely be able to go inside the egg like they did with the heart for Elevation. Would "in the round" setup allow for an up-close GA enclosure?

Jeez, those are INSANE!! (I mean that as a total compliment)

I would absolutely love to see THAT show. Unfortunately, I doubt U2's set will be half as cool, or tickets would have cost twice what they do.

i'd like the second one, it isn't related to the first is it? I'd hate that one, with GA you'd only be able to see 1/4 of the action

I really don't think this is going to be "in the round" in terms of the stage being in the middle of the arena.

First of all, Ticketmaster already screwed up the seating charts once - by showing the stage at the wrong side of the arena(s). Now they are falling all over themselves to give out refunds because they've had so many complaints. I can't imagine they'd want this same problem again. If U2 did it as a way to "throw off the scalpers", then that means the scalpers buy up seats in the 'wrong' area, then that means fans buy up those seats and would be very unhappy when they got to the show.

Last year I saw 2 Prince shows that were in the round. They were amazing - everyone on the floor (and in the entire arena) had a great view. But he didn't have big screens or anything like that. The Ticketmaster seating charts for the Prince shows showed exactly what "in the round" is, which was the Stage in the middle of the floor.

Would be a nice surprise, but I think (or hope) Ticketmaster will have the correct seating charts in time for the regular on sale.

What about the Euro (Brussles?) show that you could pay more for the floor seats closer to the stage than the rest of the floor? Wouldn't that lead us to believe it's not a round stage, but an end stage?

Yeah, that's the confusing thing.......I got lucky enough to have a good seat either way, but I think it's more likely to be an end stage show.......considering Ticketmaster had it listed as an end stage show and the seating was set up so that if you picked "Best Available" it would go for the ones closest to the stage on one side.

I doubt they'll let us know beforehand...it will be fun to walk in and discover what the set up is in San Diego....now I just wish this tour would just get here already!!!

Bono's shades said:
I've never been to an in-the-round show and have no idea what it is like. I heard the one Prince did last year was fantastic, though. (I was going to go but was an idiot and changed my mind).

But seriously, what is the deal with making you give up your GA seats - and then charging you more money? This whole situation gets stranger and stranger by the hour.

Prince's last tour WAS amazing, and being in the round contributed 2 that, EVERY seat was a great seat. However, I wouldn't plan on this tour being that way until it's confirmed....

xmarcx said:
Rob,

I agree that selling all the tix around the arena does not mean that the stage si definately in the center but it does mean that that diagram is not accurate....
It's my understanding that they are selling tix behind the stage for some shows and no tix behind the stage for others. So that doesn't necessarily negate the diagram.

Last edited:
Chrisedge said:
What about the Euro (Brussles?) show that you could pay more for the floor seats closer to the stage than the rest of the floor? Wouldn't that lead us to believe it's not a round stage, but an end stage?

Yes, true. But the European shows are in stadiums, which will probably have a different stage setup. I don't think you can just use the same stage you used in an arena for a stadium, as the stadium is much, much bigger.
That said, I interpret the 'in the round' comment as being a 360 show in the USA (i.e. like The Unforgettable Fire Tour, The Joshua Tree Tour (arena dates) and Elevation Tour concerts).

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom