The Ultimate Place to See them During 2nd U.S. Leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
speedracer said:

So when is U2 going to play at Club Super Sex?

:laugh:

So that's where you hang out in Montreal?:shifty:

Actually, I remember a story about the band hanging out at a strip club once in Montreal... apparently we are really famous for those...:wink:

I am going to say NEW YORk for a couple of reasons,
1) its the greatest city in the world
2) U2 love NYC
3) its not only on a weekend . the shows on the 10/8 and 10/10
sandwich october 9th which would have been john lennons 65 th birthday. we all know how much bono loves john.

I have GAs for the 10th...now have to figure out how to get tickets for the 10/8 show.

I thought Milwaukee 2001 was freakin' awesome but its due to me being in shock being that close to the band for the first time in my life. :drool: Although I was puzzled by the fact that Bono did not pull anyone on stage that night. I always wondered why..? Did this happen at any other shows?
:scratch:

As someone who lived over 20 years in Chicago, don't be deluded by the "greatest city" hype. The difference between New York and Chicago is that New Yorkers KNOW they're in the best city in the U.S., Chicagoans just PRETEND they are. Have you ever heard the phrase "Second City"? Guess where that came from.

Yeah, September in Chicago is nice. So is May. Unfortunately the rest of the year is pure hell, whether it's the humidity or the windchill. Before you think I'm totally self-loathing, I'm still a die hard Cubs fan. But I only go back to Chicago when someone dies or is getting married (and unfortunately the latter is happening in a week and a half!).

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm contemplating heading up to Salt Lake City. I've never been to Utah, and I'm guessing it would be cold but pretty nice in November. Any suggestions?

laz

What about Cleveland? Their induction happens next week and it will their first stop since being inducted.......

lazarus said:

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm contemplating heading up to Salt Lake City. I've never been to Utah, and I'm guessing it would be cold but pretty nice in November. Any suggestions?

laz

Stop in Mesquite, NV on the way to Salt Lake and stay the night --gamble and drink, and then ride the outdoor Go Karts at the Oasis on a good buzz.

If you golf, pack your clubs and play one round at the Oasis or Palms, and enjoy the awesome golf course views and great layouts.

On the way out of Mesquite, buy your own alcohol -- you'll need it in Utah.

Finally, check the snow conditions before you leave LA --- bring your skis if they have a base of 30 or more inches.

Heck, take a full week off and turn it in to the Laz's Vertigo Recreation Road Trip.

You asked for suggestions -
:wink:

I've seen them in Montreal, it is quite loud, like a roaring train!This is great, but you cannot really make it all out, the acoustics are terrible! You see the reason it is so loud is that they do not have the proper sound proofing in the roof, the sound just rattles around up there. If you like it loud, but inaudible Montreal is the place. It is however a great city to go out and hit the town, world class.

As a local, I must say the Omaha show has received huge publicity. The buzz for this show, which is in December is unprecedented (sp?). It will really have a celebratory feel to it, and the crowd will have 25 years of repressed energy to unleash. The ZOO TV Ames, Iowa show was probably the greatest concert I have ever witnessed... of all places, right? Bono has visited here during the last 3 years quite often. He spoke at my church on World Aids Day (in Lincoln) and he sang at a funeral in Omaha for Warren Buffet's wife. While he was in Lincoln, he ate a popular eatery and seemed to enjoy himself greatly. I think it's one of the few places that celebs come to and don't feel like a mob will surround them at any moment: people tend to admire from a distance and let people go on about their business. Hell, Tommy Lee filmed a reality TV show here last year. Conor Oberst hangs out at a local bar w/ celebs from all over and noone minds. One night I asked the Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitar player to hand me an ash tray not knowing who he was! This was a fav for REM in their early days... they played a chicken hut known as the Drumstick! Sorry, I'll stop now.

I also think Montreal is the place to be. Like many of my colleagues I've no doubt it's the loudest and wildest crowd. For the shows I've seen, the crowd has been absolutely amazing...a very emotional one that has left me hard of hearing, sometimes for up to a week. They belt out every song, including the ones that other crowds usually just let the band sing. It's a crowd that's just looking for and excuse to come together and party and there's no better excuse than U2.

Unlike some others here, though, I find the Bell Centre acoustics as good as any venue I've ever been to. In the legendary Montreal Forum, that wasn't the case. It was an old building. The Olympic Stadium acoustics were the worst I've ever heard. But the Bell Centre is fantastic. It doesn't matter if you're up against the railing or in the furthest row. It's big for an arena, too, with a 360 seating capacity of 21,273. Having been at concerts and hockey games in both Toronto and Montreal, I can tell you that in terms of acoustics, the Bell Centre is as good or better than the ACC and better than the older venues for sure. On top of that, you get the crowd to top all crowds, and the party to top all parties afterwards. To add to everything, November 26 is a Saturday night!

If I didn't know a little more about corporatism, I would tell the band to film a DVD in Montreal because showing these fans would be phenomenal compliment, as it's going to be shear pandemonium. On top of that, they could add a post-show section to the DVD here, because the party always continues afterwards. Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen because as big a U2 market as Montreal is (due to political ideals), it's isolated because of its linguistic characteristics.

Do I sound like an advertisement or hard to believe? Some people say that. Sorry if I do. All I can say is come see for yourself. You won't regret it.

Jon

Last edited:
Klink said:
I

Unlike some others here, though, I find the Bell Centre acoustics as good as any venue I've ever been to. In the legendary Montreal Forum, that wasn't the case. It was an old building. The Olympic Stadium acoustics were the worst I've ever heard. But the Bell Centre is fantastic.

I agree, Bell Centre acoustics are among the best I've heard (and that includes about 10 other arenas in North America), as opposed to the Olympic Stadium which is absolutely terrible. Maybe the fact that the crowd was especially loud at U2 concerts made the music harder to hear, however.

Ok, I am from neutral ground. U2 hasn't played where I live (New Mexico) since I was 7 years old. I've been to a lot of places to see U2 and my favorite seems to be Chicago. Unfortunately I don't get to go there this time around:( Miami of course is great. Middle of december and we sat on a beach after the show in 70 degree weather. I've never been to Portland myself, but am heading there for the last show. Went to Seattle for the last show on Popmart around xmas time and it was very fun. I'm almost positive Portland will be the last show, as it is very close to xmas. The band of course can get home right away, but it may take days for the crew to actually get home, and it's less than a week before xmas.

I would say Montreal, but the weather is gonna be atrocious then, let's face it.

Since I'm not going to do a show without GAs, there's no way I'm lining up in Quebec in late November all day. September in Toronto/Chicago is a much more pleasant way to go. Early October in NYC, also way, way better.

oceane said:

I agree, Bell Centre acoustics are among the best I've heard (and that includes about 10 other arenas in North America), as opposed to the Olympic Stadium which is absolutely terrible. Maybe the fact that the crowd was especially loud at U2 concerts made the music harder to hear, however.

It is possbile. The crowd was amazing for Bon Jovi in 2003, too, though and, as has happened before, I was hard of hearing for a week after. But I had no trouble hearing the music. Maybe that's because I'm used to it or expect it? :hyper: I can see how it might be a shock if you're not expecting it, though.

Further, if there is one real setback, anitram has a point. It's the weather. Montreal will be cold in November, although that won't make bother us much. I'll probably go to Toronto also because it's a wonderful city, but if I had one reservation, would be that the Toronto crowd can be a bit less energetic, no offense. I guess it depends what you're looking for. Toronto will have great shows and I look forward to them!

That in mind, for those of you interested, here are some review coments (good and bad) from the first elevationshow on May 27, 2001. We also hosted them on the 28th and Oct 12. these are from u2tours.com (The Bell Centre was called the Molson Centre in 2001):

The good:

"This was probably the best show U2 have played in the Elevation tour! The fans were so into it and were soooo loud! Bono said that they have this device that messure volume and said that Montreal has been the loudest by far. The sound was perfect... everything was perfect. Honestly, words can't describe how good this show was. Probably the best show Montreal has EVER had!...I can't stress how much everyone was into it. And you can tell that got the band going, they were smiling the whole time. I've seen clips from other shows and none compare the the excitement of these Montreal fans. It was insane..."

"The Molson Centre is an amazing venue to see a concert in. It is very loud and always draws enthusiastic crowds who sing along and really get into the show. It was the loudest Pearl Jam show I saw as well."

"I just want to start off by saying that I have seen U2 almost 10 times and this was by far the best show I have ever seen them play. Hands down. I have seen some great performers and shows in my day i.e Springsteen etc.., but these guys are beyond comparison as performers and showmen. Yes, this show was very, very loud. The audience was insane and the band definately fed off of the energy."

"The other thing I have to comment on was the crowd- LOUD and totally into it!!!!! Bono even commented that their equipment indicated that Montreal was the loudest stop on the tour thus far and I believe it! I've heard that some people felt the crowd was too loud but, come on it's U2!. If people are into the music and want to sing along, scream or whatever- GREAT!!! If you're worried about perfect acoustics, in my opinion, you're missing the point and should stay home (with your headphones)."

"I traveled up to Montreal from Boston with my friend Kurt to see both shows in Montreal on the long holiday weekend. (For the lucky Americans that is.) The first thing I noticed as I checked into my hotel room on the 26th floor of the Montreal Marriott on Saturday afternoon was that a line was already forming for the GA ticket holders at the Molson Centre. At 4:00 PM that day there were four people camped out in line. This was a full 29 hours before U2 would even take the stage. I continued to check on how this line was doing throughout the day from my hotel window. As I woke up on Sunday morning at approximately 9:30 AM, there were at least 75-100 people in line. Now that is dedication...The minute U2 took the stage the place really rocked."

"...we were so jazzed to know that people were staying out overnight to be first to enter the GA section, to get inside the "heart" of the floor. Being in the GA section with our pink bracelets was unbelievable because everyone was friendly and considerate. The crowd was electric....[After] I went on to several bars, until I stumbled onto one that had the new album playing through the open window/seating area. I went inside to see everyone from the bartenders to patrons singing every song...I ended up joining the dance crew for the album playing. There had to be about 50 people on chairs and tables, singing word-for-word every song from the new album. What a night and morning!"

The bad:

"The only thing I didn't like was that there is too much screaming. Bono said that Montreal was the loudest crowd in the tour and I believe him. When the crowd was more quiet, the sound was perfect. It must be very had for the sound tech to make a good live mix."

"I love how throughout the day and outside the arena, the entire area is gripped with U2 fever. Bono and the boys were in top form but unfortunately he had a tough time trying to sing. What am I talking about? The crowd was unbelievably loud. I can't really blame people since in more than one occasion I found myself screaming along to the songs. But at one point I realized that we could hardly hear the man sing. The crowd sang along to every song, literally! It does sound great in certain parts of a given song to have 20,000 voices in unison singing along but not when its throughout the entire show. Anyways, at one point I started to feel that Bono wasn't singing properly since you could hardly hear him over the noise of the crowd. Soon enough, Bono confirmed what I was thinking. No, he didn't say 'Shut up, please.' Instead, towards the end, he says that there's an instrument that sort of measures how much noise the audience is making on a given night and without a doubt, this was the loudest crowd in the tour so far."

Jon

Last edited:
Well, I can say that Buffalo rocked in '01.

I picked MSG because that is the most famous venue on the planet and I couldn't imagine a better place to see the boys play.

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS.....

SAN DIEGO....one week from today!!!!

(or whereever it is that YOU might be seeing them)

:dance: :wave: :dancing: :dancing: :wave: :dance:

Not just because I'm a local, but I'm surprised no one has said Toronto. Those first 4 shows are gonna set the tempo for the whole leg of the tour. U2's Toronto shows have always been very intense (PopMart 2 was especially fantastic.)

On the other hand, NYC will be AMAZING..of this I have no doubt. I made a promise to myself to see them in either NYC or Dublin this year. Dublin June 25th will be amazing!!!

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that every show will be FANTASTIC!!!

Peace.

Okay...two best places to see them this year..... Chicago because they really do love this city. They always hold a lot of concerts here. I heard that the DVD (or one of them) for Vertigo tour might be Chicago. The second best place is Dublin. The four boys go home and play in front of their home town.....can't get much better in my opinion.

At the Montreal shows, do they play the songs in both French and English?

Just kidding, Jon, after reading your post I am looking for airfare for Montreal. Probably cheaper to fly into Manchester NH, USA and drive up. I think they SHOULD film in Montreal. I love the Depeche Mode DVD with the fan interviews in subtitles. Sorry, that sounds like a terrible reason to like the DVD. I have always said Canada is where it is at for U2 shows. Hamilton was AMAZING last tour. Best show I saw!!!

Hamilton WAS amazing!! and so very emotional... the American flag waved at the top of the arena, while the Canadian one stood still...freaky!!

I think Toronto will be great, and Buffalo 12/9 will be very special (25th anniversary of John Lennon's death 12/8/80). I'll be at both.

drumkeeran said:
Hamilton WAS amazing!! and so very emotional... the American flag waved at the top of the arena, while the Canadian one stood still...freaky!!

I think Toronto will be great, and Buffalo 12/9 will be very special (25th anniversary of John Lennon's death 12/8/80). I'll be at both.

Drumkeeran if you will remember, Bono did the extra verse to With or Without You that night. I met that greek Much Music VJ in the heart too, the guy with the 800 syllable name. Great line control too by the police. Overall, best experience of the tour.

Back
Top Bottom