The Rolling Stones can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

govikesU2

The Fly
Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood was overheard telling Mick Jagger's personal assistant, "Tell Paul McCartney and U2 that's how it's done," after he finished their second Fenway Park show in Boston. Someone should tell Ron Wood his face looks like old beef jerkey and it's time for the Beatles ugly little brother of a band to call it quits. A little harsh but that comment pisses me off.

Oh for heavens sakes.
Surely it is healthy if top bands compete with one another?
You need to stop taking offense so easily.

(Also it's bad mannered to pick on senior citizens :wink: )

Last edited:
govikesU2 said:
Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood was overheard telling Mick Jagger's personal assistant, "Tell Paul McCartney and U2 that's how it's done," after he finished their second Fenway Park show in Boston. Someone should tell Ron Wood his face looks like old beef jerkey and it's time for the Beatles ugly little brother of a band to call it quits. A little harsh but that comment pisses me off.

Maybe you need to get laid. Or smoke a doobie. You might be a little less uptight.:wink:

Seriously though (nudge, nudge), it's just a joke on Ron Wood's part. He's known as a jester, and everyone in the music biz knows he's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Take it with a grain of salt. he;s probably friends with the guys in U2, and I know for a fact he hangs out with McCartney. As for his face looking like beef jerky, that may be true, but remember that the guy is 60 years old and has lived teh high life for most of his life. Besides, it could be noted that Bono looks opretty scary in daylight, when he's not wearing his shades and makeup. In fact, he's looked pretty wrinkly since Pop - he looked like he aged about 15 years between 1993 and 1997.

Re: Re: The Rolling Stones can kiss my ass!!!

starvinmarvin said:
Seriously though (nudge, nudge), it's just a joke on Ron Wood's part. He's known as a jester, and everyone in the music biz knows he's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Take it with a grain of salt.

Hear hear, Ronnie is a dope guy by all accounts. :wink:

Big horse racing fan and lives in Ireland so he's alright in my book. :wink:

I agree with financeguy. No need to get upset. Ronnie Wood just placed U2 alongside Paul McCartney. That's an honour that Rolling Stones has never been and never will be able to achieve :giggle:

Re: Re: Re: The Rolling Stones can kiss my ass!!!

financeguy said:

Hear hear, Ronnie is a dope guy by all accounts. :wink:

Big horse racing fan and lives in Ireland so he's alright in my book. :wink:

Yeah, Roonie's a good guy. He's the only reason the Stones are still together. Its well known that the Stones are split into 2 camps: (1) The Jagger camp and (2) The Keef camp. Both of these guys have their own posse, crew, etc....Ronnie is the mediator between both of these guys, and which has helped to reduce the friction within the band. He's everyone's friend, and that's well documented.

yes god forbid anyone having a defensive word to say about U2, thats just wrong,

why dont you go to a U2 forum? oh wait..

Does anyone really still consider The Stones as being on the same planet as U2 anymore as far as relevance and popularity goes. When you go to a U2 show there is just as many young kids there now as there has ever been. People are still being turned onto U2 at a young age now because their still writing great music. Most people go to see the Stones because you have to see it with your own eye's to believe that dinosaurs still walk the earth. STOP TOURING AND CHARGING $200.00-$300.00 dollars per ticket. The last Stones show I saw sucked. Flat out it sucked. Meals on wheels started serving them dinner on stage around 3:00 pm the show was over and the Stones were back at the hotel by 8:00 just in time to watch Matlock. Please stop touring. If Mick or Keith dies on stage and I'm there to see it it might scar me. I'm just kidding by the way (sort of) so don't take too much offense.

^ Well, apparently, some people still enjoy going to their concerts and are willing to spend enormous amounts of money on their tickets, so why not just let them? :)

^ There you go^ My mom loves those guys and she said it was worht the money so they are making some ppl happy;) :shrug:

govikesU2 said:
Does anyone really still consider The Stones as being on the same planet as U2 anymore as far as relevance and popularity goes. When you go to a U2 show there is just as many young kids there now as there has ever been. People are still being turned onto U2 at a young age now because their still writing great music. Most people go to see the Stones because you have to see it with your own eye's to believe that dinosaurs still walk the earth. STOP TOURING AND CHARGING $200.00-$300.00 dollars per ticket. The last Stones show I saw sucked. Flat out it sucked. Meals on wheels started serving them dinner on stage around 3:00 pm the show was over and the Stones were back at the hotel by 8:00 just in time to watch Matlock. Please stop touring. If Mick or Keith dies on stage and I'm there to see it it might scar me. I'm just kidding by the way (sort of) so don't take too much offense.

We'll see how relevant U2 is in 15 years time. Maybe by then the new album will be out..:wink:

Don't knock the Stones for being old. It's not an accident that they are still selling out stadiums. Have you listened to any recent Stones material? If you did, you would know that its actually quite good. It's not exactly Exile On Main Street, mind you, but HTDAAB isn't the second coming of The Joshua Tree either (even if I still love it). If U2 are still together, selling out stadiums, and producing new material that STILL SELLS (yes, The Stones still sell records), I will be very impressed. I hope that they do, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you don't like the Stones, that's OK. You still need to respect what they have accomplished. You can bet your left testicle that Bono and the boys do

Glad to see sobriety is working out for Woody....

There all apparently friends, share many of the same crew, and you can see Bono/Jagger interact in the "Being Mick" documentary from 2001/2.

u2fp

@U2FanPeter

Exactly, people are making themselves look ridiculous by getting so furious at these remarks. I'm sure all members of U2 and all members of Rolling Stones would laugh their :censored: out together if they saw how some people react to these comments they make occasionally.

U2FanPeter said:
Glad to see sobriety is working out for Woody....

Actually, Ron has recently said in some interview or so that he has lost the battle with the bottle. He can be without the bottle for a couple of days at most and then it goes downhill all again...
:|

govikesU2 said:
Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood was overheard telling Mick Jagger's personal assistant, "Tell Paul McCartney and U2 that's how it's done," after he finished their second Fenway Park show in Boston.

after my band's last show, that's what i told the other guys.

I've seen quite a few big concerts, and I have to say that the Stones 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour is better than any U2 show I've seen. First spot goes to Radiohead in 2003, which was absoultely MESMERISING. Second best is the Stones show, which was brilliant and entertaining, while both U2 shows I've seen are tied for third. I'm sure the Stones are a little slower now, and the Vertigo tour is better, but in 1994 the Stones still had that magic. They were 50 years old too - pretty impressive.

starvinmarvin said:

We'll see how relevant U2 is in 15 years time. Maybe by then the new album will be out..:wink:

Don't knock the Stones for being old. It's not an accident that they are still selling out stadiums. Have you listened to any recent Stones material? If you did, you would know that its actually quite good. It's not exactly Exile On Main Street, mind you, but HTDAAB isn't the second coming of The Joshua Tree either (even if I still love it). If U2 are still together, selling out stadiums, and producing new material that STILL SELLS (yes, The Stones still sell records), I will be very impressed. I hope that they do, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you don't like the Stones, that's OK. You still need to respect what they have accomplished. You can bet your left testicle that Bono and the boys do

The Stones still do incredible business when it comes to concerts, but they have surprisingly slipped up in this respect since the Bridges To Babylon Tour. All though some would say this is a reflection of the industry as a whole, the Stones last tour and this current tour have cut way back on Stadium sized shows. Very surprising for a band that was #1 in this area since 1975. U2 recent tour of Europe crushed all of the Stones past tours of Europe in terms of total Gross. Whats more, U2 was able to do that with only 32 shows, all of them instant sellouts the day tickets went on sale. In the United States, things are closer, and I would probably still give the edge to the Stones in the USA. With the exception of the USA, Japan, and maybe Germany, U2 is now ahead of the Stones in concert drawing power worldwide. This was not the case as little as 8 years ago and whats more is that U2's concert drawing power is rising and is likely to increase for some time to come. The band is currently more popular in Europe than they have ever been at any time in their career.

On the Album sales side, the Stones have not had a big selling album since Tattoo You back in 1981 when the band was still in their 30s. In contrast, HTDAAB is approaching the 10 million mark in sales and is on track to be one of the 10 biggest selling albums worldwide of the past 3 years.

So U2 have already outlasted the Stones in many ways. But the amazing thing is, we may still be talking about a new Stones album and tour in 15 years.

starvinmarvin said:
I've seen quite a few big concerts, and I have to say that the Stones 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour is better than any U2 show I've seen. First spot goes to Radiohead in 2003, which was absoultely MESMERISING. Second best is the Stones show, which was brilliant and entertaining, while both U2 shows I've seen are tied for third. I'm sure the Stones are a little slower now, and the Vertigo tour is better, but in 1994 the Stones still had that magic. They were 50 years old too - pretty impressive.

What were the two U2 shows you have seen?

STING2 said:

The Stones still do incredible business when it comes to concerts, but they have surprisingly slipped up in this respect since the Bridges To Babylon Tour. All though some would say this is a reflection of the industry as a whole, the Stones last tour and this current tour have cut way back on Stadium sized shows. Very surprising for a band that was #1 in this area since 1975. U2 recent tour of Europe crushed all of the Stones past tours of Europe in terms of total Gross. Whats more, U2 was able to do that with only 32 shows, all of them instant sellouts the day tickets went on sale. In the United States, things are closer, and I would probably still give the edge to the Stones in the USA. With the exception of the USA, Japan, and maybe Germany, U2 is now ahead of the Stones in concert drawing power worldwide. This was not the case as little as 8 years ago and whats more is that U2's concert drawing power is rising and is likely to increase for some time to come. The band is currently more popular in Europe than they have ever been at any time in their career.

On the Album sales side, the Stones have not had a big selling album since Tattoo You back in 1981 when the band was still in their 30s. In contrast, HTDAAB is approaching the 10 million mark in sales and is on track to be one of the 10 biggest selling albums worldwide of the past 3 years.

So U2 have already outlasted the Stones in many ways. But the amazing thing is, we may still be talking about a new Stones album and tour in 15 years.

All of this data is fascinating, but has nothing to do with my original statement. I did not say that The Stones were selling more records or concert tickets in 2005. My point is that The Stones are doing remarkably well considering the fact that they are over 60 years of age. If U2 can still draw the crowds into their 60's and sell modest amounts of records in the year 2020, then I will be very impressed (and happy). Until then, I think the ignorant (mostly young) U2 fans who dismiss the Stones simply because they're old, or constantly compare them to a band that is almost 20 yrs their senior should SHUT THE BLEEP UP. To maintain that level of success for 43 years is astounding.

As for the Stones not selling albums, that is rubbish. Your assertion that Tattoo You was their last hit album is flat out wrong (it sold 7 million though). When I was 13 years old, Steel Wheels (1989) was a massive worldwide hit. It sold over 9 million copies worldwide. It spawned a huge hit, Mixed Emotions, which was as ubiquitous as Vertigo was in 2004, and many kids my age became fans for the first time. The tour was also massive, and if memory serves me correctly was the 4th biggest grossing tour of all time. I guess my basic point is that in 1989 the Stones had been together for 27 years, which is roughly the same age as U2 is right now as we speak. You say HTDAAB has sold 10 million. Well, Steel Weels sold 9 million. Not a big difference, if you ask me.

Fast forward to 1994, when the Stones released Voodoo Lounge. It sold 8 million copies worldwide. Love Is Strong was only a minor hit, yes, but the tour remains the BIGGEST GROSSING TOUR OF ALL TIME. The live album souvineer from the tour, Stripped, sold an astounding 3.5 million copies in 1998 (which is amazing for a live album). So, I guess that if U2 put out an album in 2010 and match the Voodoo Lounge tour in terms of gross then U2 will have kept up to the Stones. It will be tough. I don't know if they will do it.

Next came Bridges To Babylon in 97. This is when the Stones really dipped in terms of record sales. Still, 3 million units is still very respectable for a bunch of 55 year olds, who are supposedly washed up. The tour is was also one of the highest grossing tours of all time......I could go on, but I've already proven my point, which is that U2 still has a way to go to keep up to the Stones in terms of longevity. This is not a dig at U2. I'm sure that Bono and the boys know this too.

Last edited:
Its great to see such a legendary band using U2 as a measuring stick for their live performances, that says a lot.

govikesU2 said:
The last Stones show I saw sucked. Flat out it sucked. Meals on wheels started serving them dinner on stage around 3:00 pm the show was over and the Stones were back at the hotel by 8:00 just in time to watch Matlock.

That comment just made me laugh so hard, I spit my water all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom