The ellipse is beginning to resemble a playground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4U2Play said:

Geez, sorry to ruffle your feathers there, bub.

And, yes, I really do think Axver should be admitted into the ellipse over a five-year old kid who has no idea what he is looking at.

Why? Because Axver is a passionate U2 fan who rarely gets a chance to see them, being that he lives a far off land.

In fact, I think U2 should only allow fans into the ellipse that have high post counts here on interference. Yes, I'M DEAD SERIOUS.

I know this will upset some of you more humorless types, but this is the only fair way.

Axver is fan #1, as far as I'm concerned, not your vomiting little kid.

Do you work at being such an ass or does it come naturally? My kid had the flu and would have had a great time if she had been well, she made it through COBL and runs around singing it all the time. I am putting an ellipse vomit hex on you!!!:madspit: :wink:

Now we know what the "Ma-ma? Pa-pa? Mama...MAMA! MAMA!!! MAMA!!!" screaming baby before the Zoo TV part is all about.

I don't have a big problem with the kids because there really aren't that many.

I have more of a problem with the many adults that just hang out in the ellipse standing in a circle with drinks in their hands (some with their backs to the band) talking over every song like if they were having a cocktail party in their living room with the stereo on. :|

4U2Play said:

Geez, sorry to ruffle your feathers there, bub.

And, yes, I really do think Axver should be admitted into the ellipse over a five-year old kid who has no idea what he is looking at.

Why? Because Axver is a passionate U2 fan who rarely gets a chance to see them, being that he lives a far off land.

In fact, I think U2 should only allow fans into the ellipse that have high post counts here on interference. Yes, I'M DEAD SERIOUS.

I know this will upset some of you more humorless types, but this is the only fair way.

Axver is fan #1, as far as I'm concerned, not your vomiting little kid.

so i suppose this means that you should never be allowed into the ellipse, based on your rather low post count.

i like it.

ramblin rose said:

I have more of a problem with the many adults that just hang out in the ellipse standing in a circle with drinks in their hands (some with their backs to the band) talking over every song like if they were having a cocktail party in their living room with the stereo on. :|

EXACTLY!

That pisses me off to no end. The Jimmy Buffet crowd should just stay home, they've ruined many a concert for me. The worst I've experienced was two very yuppyish women at a Neil Young concert talking about what they had to do at work the next day, give me a freaking break!

My nephew, who's 11... and small, badly wants to come to the Montreal show with me. What can I say... he has GREAT tastes in music :wink:

I would also love to bring him, BUT I said to his parents that he's too young to come in the GA area. That he won't see anything and bla bla bla.

If only I had known about the ellipse :sad:

I'm personally kinda torn on this one. I went to my first U2 show in 87 I was 13. Luckily my aunt was a huge U2 fan and talked my mom into letting me go. after seeing that show I was forever hooked and in love. BUT I was 13 not 4-5-6-7 whatever.

I can really understand someone wanting their child to relish in the moment with them. But seriously, its like taking a new born to a movie theater! what is wrong with you people?

You drag your child to the floor of the most anticipated concert of the last 4 years. you force everyone thats packed in around you to worry about if their the one thats gonna crush little timmy when he goes down on the floor.

Each of you should be beaten a thousand times with Longfellow Deeds black foot! :ohmy:

Look if your kid actually knows the songs and all that good stuff sure take em. enjoy the show. just dont shit on everyone else so your sorry ass can get into the ellipse.

Flyboy said:
You can work hard, save all your money,be a fan club member, wait in line for 12 or more hours and not get into the ellipse because you have no children with you. Is this what U2 wants to be? This is a rock concert, not a family fun hour. It makes me as a fan, feel like I'm not wanted at the show. I don't have children, but even if I did I would not want them at the show. The show is still very loud, even with earplugs. I don't think little ears should be hearing that amount of decibels.

WAHH, WAHH, WAHH -- another child wants into the ellipse!

Seriously, I think it's great that kids are in the ellipse, bring on the next generation! Sorry for the hard rock'n men who need to be three yards from the Edge or Adam and miss that personal, lovingly for me only, eye to eye contact or glance that says: "yes, you are ONE with Bono." You'll just have to stand outside of the Ellipse, and come to the realization that you are a mature adult. So Buck Up.

this thread gets my vote for stupidest of the entire tour

the two boys that got pulled up onstage during SBS were 9 and 10, I know cause I met them right before and (rather uncannily) told them that they were about to experience magic.

dont go if you cant handle seeing 5 or 6 kids in the ellipse cause thats all it amounts to really..

I personally think that it's great that kids are coming to the shows, hell, I'm only 16 and saw my first U2 show this year, but for a kid under 12, GA is just not right for them. Get seats, you'll be able to enjoy the show and your kid will too. Next tour, they'll be older and able to really enjoy the GA.

As long as the parents don't ask me to move or jockey in front of me to get a better view, I have no problem with it. My claim to a spot on the floor, as a 20+ year fan trumps little Johnny who doesn't even know what an ellipse IS when they are standing in the middle of one.

Last edited:
I was top ten in the GA line in Atlanta on Friday..

What might have started this thread was our displeasure with the people who had seen 6 or 8 shows already who had their 8yr old with..

Having him was an automatic into the ellipse even when their tickets didn't beep...

The people who were around me, and my friend, whom it happened to be his birthday, and his present was a U2 Ticket...for them, this was there one and only show..

I know life's not fair but when you wait all day in line like the others but you see that someone uses a kid to get in, even when they've seen multiple shows, that kinda dosen't seem fair...

The kid issue in the ellipse doesn't bother me, because in Chicago 2 beautiful kids a boy and a girl were pulled on stage and it was an awesome moment.

I just didn't like the people using there kids as a means into the ellipse, deyning others the chance, when they have gone to multiple shows..and been in the ellipse alot more than even me, having done 7 shows on the floor.

Your argument falls down completely on a couple of counts.

1 - Ive seen U2 over 10 times this tour and been in the ellipse maybe 6 or so times. If on the 11th time I decide it's about time my 10 year old comes with me, whats wrong with that. Whats wrong with me being happy that he gets to see the show unmolested?? Do you call that me 'using my kid as an 'in''????

2. If you were in the immediate proximity of the kid who didn't scan but got in (as I have been, not only with kids but with others), surely you noticed what happens when someone doesnt scan but still gets a wristband? All that happens is that the kid gets a wristband. They dont magically cause the computer to reset or deny anyone else their chance to scan. I'd be willing to bet they dont even include that kid in the ellipse limit quota. That means anyone in the immediate area of the line that kid was in gets just as much of an opportunity to scan....as a matter of fact, because he was one of the one of the 7 of 9 people in the system who DONT scan, he just used up one of the 'non-scan' positions, thereby increasing your chances of scanning.

Like I said, this thread is the fucking stupidest thread of the entire tour.

well gab, seems like you been lucky alot on this tour, for me it's 7 on the floor and one beep...

i'm not worried about kids on the floor, and take your kid if you want to..in chicago Bono pulled up 2 kids and it was very special moment..

But in this case, the kid was along solely to get the adults in, and we have eye witnesses that none of their group beeped on friday and on sturday that allison had the computer resest so that they would beep in..now is that fair?

This is not about someone bring a child and getting in the ellipse, this is about bringing a child to multiple shows knowing you'll get in every time....as long as little timmys there.

This is also about the multiple fans like yourself who go to many shows and almost demand to be in the ellipse every time....

what about the people who only go to one show, are they less than a fan because they have a life that doesn't allow them to follow U2 and go to multiples shos

Seems like gabrielvox..your one of those fans who just doesn't get it.....fairness and equality..it's all about you...

gabrielvox said:
Your argument falls down completely on a couple of counts.

1 - Ive seen U2 over 10 times this tour and been in the ellipse maybe 6 or so times. If on the 11th time I decide it's about time my 10 year old comes with me, whats wrong with that. Whats wrong with me being happy that he gets to see the show unmolested?? Do you call that me 'using my kid as an 'in''????

2. If you were in the immediate proximity of the kid who didn't scan but got in (as I have been, not only with kids but with others), surely you noticed what happens when someone doesnt scan but still gets a wristband? All that happens is that the kid gets a wristband. They dont magically cause the computer to reset or deny anyone else their chance to scan. I'd be willing to bet they dont even include that kid in the ellipse limit quota. That means anyone in the immediate area of the line that kid was in gets just as much of an opportunity to scan....as a matter of fact, because he was one of the one of the 7 of 9 people in the system who DONT scan, he just used up one of the 'non-scan' positions, thereby increasing your chances of scanning.

Like I said, this thread is the fucking stupidest thread of the entire tour.

So you got scanned into the ellipse 6 out of 10 times? Was it your tickets or others that got you in... just looking for statistics here. thx.

hef4u2 said:
well gab, seems like you been lucky alot on this tour, for me it's 7 on the floor and one beep...

i'm not worried about kids on the floor, and take your kid if you want to..in chicago Bono pulled up 2 kids and it was very special moment..

But in this case, the kid was along solely to get the adults in, and we have eye witnesses that none of their group beeped on friday and on sturday that allison had the computer resest so that they would beep in..now is that fair?

This is not about someone bring a child and getting in the ellipse, this is about bringing a child to multiple shows knowing you'll get in every time....as long as little timmys there.

This is also about the multiple fans like yourself who go to many shows and almost demand to be in the ellipse every time....

what about the people who only go to one show, are they less than a fan because they have a life that doesn't allow them to follow U2 and go to multiples shos

Seems like gabrielvox..your one of those fans who just doesn't get it.....fairness and equality..it's all about you...

1. You've been to 7 U2 shows this tour, on the floor 6 times and inside the ellipse once. Exactly WHY are you whining???? You've seen more shows than that kid has, dont you think? GROW UP.

2. The kid was solely along to get the adult in? Are you freaking kidding me? Do you know this people? Do you know their motives, or what events transpired in their personal lives so that their kid happened to be with them? Do you have some sort of evidence that they told another adult 'sorry, you cant come, we're gonna take Johnny so we can get into the ellipse'??

3. You have eye witnesses that Alison reset the computer to allow a kid to scan? What happened then? Did VERTIGO come up on the screen to the child's delight? Or is this all a bunch of bullshit and conjecture spinning wildly out of control - because I've personally seen people come to get scanned towards the end of the scanning process, get 'proceed to floor'...only to be stopped by Alison on their way to the floor and offered a wrist band.

4. The multiple fans like myself who go to numerous shows and demand to be in the ellipse??? Im the ANTI DEMANDER. By NOT demanding, and NOT stressing my pretty little head about whether I get in or not, being nice to people and not a fucking GA line nazi, I meet a great many people and sometimes someone is kind enough bring me with them. Otherwise, I stand outside the ellipse in a comfortable position near the soundboard and scream and dance my fucking head off.

5. This is about bringing a child multiple times with the deliberate knowledge that he'll get you in???? So I shouldn't bring my son who was kicked tripped and shoved the first time he saw U2...and when I get to the scanning thing, I shouldnt say (because unlilke most of the people here calling her by name, I actually CAN call her by her first name and have her know who I am) "look Alison my son's last U2 experience wasnt so great, any chance we can let him see the show tonite from a safer position" - ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME????? Im saying this because for all you know, thats what happened to those people before. If it happened to me, theres a good chance it happened to them.

6. The people who arent able to go to mulitiple shows, this is their only show - you mean like you, Ms/Mr 7 shows for this tour??? What a hypocrite! As for the 'less than a fan' argument, nice try, if you knew me you would know that I dont like those 'oh he's not a real U2 fan because....' types.

7. I dont get it huh? Fairness and equality huh? Thats why I've let numerous shorter girls go in front of me because they can't see, I share anything I possibly can while Im part of a GA line, and why on Wednesday in Tampa I paid for someone else's ticket and gave away to complete strangers 3 other tickets - because its all about me, right? Give your head a shake, seriously.

You've been to 7 shows, and scanned into the ellipse once. Quit your fucking whining.

:)

oh...

and :hug:

u2wedge said:

So you got scanned into the ellipse 6 out of 10 times? Was it your tickets or others that got you in... just looking for statistics here. thx.

ok...actually I should tally this up...let me see

12 shows

ellipse 7 times

personally scanned 4 times

ALL GREAT SHOWS no matter where I was - wouldnt have traded my spot any of the nights they all were special..

Thing is I'm not whinning...I'm fine with what I have gotten out of the tour..

I just feel that allison has done a bad job and alot of other fans out there unlike you and me, who have seen more than one show, get the shaft cause when they go because she won't do her job..

And why is inside the ellipse a safer place? please answer that falsehood..

Look at any stadium seating...the general floor is always the most unsafe, theoretically, have you ever heard of a stampede in the 300 level section and fans squeazed on the rail?

I don't understand your logic...hey allison, my son would be safer in the ellipse..sure, i don't buy that...admit that hey it's pretty cool that wow you have a better shot into the ellipse

You want safety, get a seat in the crowd..

After all your 6 in the ellipse to my one, good for you...now i'm the bad guy huh

you have been in the ellipse 6 times...i took my friend for his birthday his only show and hey it would have been cool if he could have been in the ellipse.

We didn't complain but rather we were thrilled with being outside the ellipse on the rail..

What wasn't cool was 4 people all because they brought their kid and who had been to many others show limited others who atlanta was their only show from getting in to the ellipse.. both nights

See writing this isn't about my desire to get into the ellipse, it's my desire for fairness and others having a chance to get in...

I gave up my Ga for saturday and traded for 2 reserved seats so others could see the band...but i'm a jerk right???

I'm tired of all the people like you who demand that U2 treat you better than others because you've been to multiples shows..like hey i've put my time in give me better treatment..

Hey allison, my son got pushed and shoved last time, let me in the ellipse this time, like that isn't getting special treatment...lottery is a random thing isn't it?

So you let shorter girls in front of you huh?? ever let a guy have your spot on the rail..of course not

And there is a quota who does get in there and by 7:00 saturday there were no chance for anyone to come late and get in the ellipse because they shut down the computers and were not issuing any more ellipse bracelets.

Yeah, I'm a jerk because I was wanting other people to experience what I have once, a chance in the ellipse..

Your more morally right because you've had six shots in side the ellipse...that's five more people in those cities who didn't get their one chance because of you..

Get it???????????????????????????????

gabrielvox said:
(because unlilke most of the people here calling her by name, I actually CAN call her by her first name and have her know who I am)

So what? What does this have to do with anything?

And while I can't speak about whether or not the computer was reset in Atlanta I can speak to the fact that when the scanners froze in Chicago they were not reset so myself and a few others did not even have a chance to have our tickets scanned to get in. That's shady business. Sorry.

it means gabrielvox has special treatment from her the rest of the public doesn't ..

but he doesn't get it...he's priviledged

gabrielvox said:

ok...actually I should tally this up...let me see

12 shows

ellipse 7 times

personally scanned 4 times

ALL GREAT SHOWS no matter where I was - wouldnt have traded my spot any of the nights they all were special..

:madspit:

I'm gonna rub your head for good luck before the show in Ottawa!

*sigh*

1. Inside the ellipse IS safer. Maybe you haven't been inside enough to know.... :wink: (ok that was mean lol) The sound is also more tolerable than in the 300s for kid's ears - who should be wearing earplugs anyways.

2. So basically, you are acting as spokesperson for the unfortunate masses? Cmon!

3. Why should I get a seat in the crowd? Because I have a 10 year old son who definately wanted to try to get into the ellipse and who knows what its all about? (He didnt however) What should I tell him? "sorry son, I wont try to take you to GA because their are real assholes out there that feel that kids arent valid U2 fans and should be seen and not heard" - what are you going to say to the kids of the band, or the crew when you see them in the ellipse, are you going to whine and cry then too? You clearly dont understand the music business...the people who put the shows on and who are involved in the tour work very hard and spend days and weeks away from their families...so that kid that you see (not saying that was the case in Atlanta) inside the ellipse just might be Bruce's or Phil's or Dallas' or some other lowly tour crew person...just who are you to judge? Sometimes people involved with a tour get perks, and thats life, if you dont like it, dont go to the show. So yeah, some people get special treatment, and you know what? Sometimes they deserve it.

4. I wouldnt have been in the ellipse on MY birthday 9/16 Toronto if I had whined and stressed all day about getting in. I didnt scan, but people around me had heard that it was my birthday and somehow it happened.

5. Hey pal - let me give you a tip - stop lumping me in with the people who demand special treatment from U2 - Im TOTALLY not that person....everything that has happened for me/to me this tour is because Im not a demanding person. You dont even know the half lol.

6. No, I wont give my spot to a taller guy on the rail. Are you freaking kidding me? Im not a saint yo!! :lol:

7. As for me taking away others chances to be in the ellipse cause I've been there 6 times, check this out: if we were still in Elevation mode, I would have been in the ellipse 12 times, and 11 fans would have been denied because of my selfishness... not 6....you know why?? Cause Im one of the crazy mofos who will line up all day if I have to. So OBVIOUSLY the system is working to keep crazies like me away from the band (and off the stage too LOLOLOL)

Dude you really dont know me at all but its ok.

Im so happy. This has been an amazing tour and its not over yet!! :)

hef4u2 said:
it means gabrielvox has special treatment from her the rest of the public doesn't ..

but he doesn't get it...he's priviledged

:lmao:

From who...Alison??? Give me a break...she's never done anything special or shady for me, somehow we always say hi to one another, and she remembered my onstage experience in Detroit...but that has no bearing on whether my ticket scans or not....sometimes I've scanned, other times I've not...jeez!!

I am priviledged...I love it :)

Maybe I should double my weekly Super 7 ticket..

:hmm:

Last edited:
If little kids get automatic entry, whatever, not a big deal. However, I think it's kinda weird to bring an elementary school kid to a rock concert w/ GA.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If little kids get automatic entry, whatever, not a big deal. However, I think it's kinda weird to bring an elementary school kid to a rock concert w/ GA.

:shrug:

What can I do? It was his request, this is the same kid that has every U2 song imaginable downloaded to his xBox and who tormented me for weeks with endless weeks of the Ramones greatest hits

and he's a hip hop kid....go figure...

Gotta love the new generation coming up....theyre just so cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom