The concern over Milan DVD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you guys seen that Director's view thing from Boston? With the dude bouncing around and going "give me Bono" (ie "directing"). All I think when I see that is that A) This guy's a moron 2) They pay this guy for this?

you cant compare american crowd from R&H, under a blood red sky(!!) to u.s. vertigo tour audience which seems to be about approx. 50 years old parents with children eating hot dogs and drinking coke. most of american audience sucks and thats the problem. European and forthcoming Australian South American shows would blow chicago audience away....

There a ZooTV special from New York City that is absolutely amazing... My thoughts after the ZooTV Sydney show came out were how much it sucked/paled in comparison. Hopefully someone knows the video/special to which I'm referring.

lucas007 said:
most of american audience sucks and thats the problem.

You make a profound point. Love the circular argument.

It seems in this thread the Europeans are displaying the ignorance and the Americans the voice of reason.

I'd like to reiterate how disappointed I was with ZooTV Sydney when it came out. It sucked in my opinion. Sure it's cool to watch now (Lemon, DGPFYCC...) but when it came out, it was a huge let-down. Why didn't they release that amazing NYC show?

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

You make a profound point. Love the circular argument.

It seems in this thread the Europeans are displaying the ignorance and the Americans the voice of reason.
i didnt want to be offensive, i read many reviews on u2tours.com and when i hear that people are leaving arena before second encore(in las vegas)something isnt ok?dont you think so?i just havent seen power in the audience(chciago dvd) have been to 2 vertigo european shows and its really big difference, in perception of the music, people were going nuts, on chicago i didnt see that, sorry

Re: Re: Re: The concern over Milan DVD...

GibsonGirl said:

How about the moment that features Bono hitting one of Larry's cymbals with his microphone and receiving the icy glare of doom? :wink:

I laugh out loud each time.

zoo tv sidney sucked? what the f..are you people talking about?
that Milan DVD sure looks like its going to be amazing
when is it released?

Nube Gris said:
zoo tv sidney sucked? what the f..are you people talking about?
that Milan DVD sure looks like its going to be amazing
when is it released?

You need a frame of reference... you'd have to see the NYC ZooTV show to which I've been comparing in order to hear what I'm saying. All I can say is, when ZooTV Sydney came out, I remember thinking how much it sucked/paled in comparison.

Sydney, Mexico/S. America and Slane had by far the best crowds on their DVDs.

Last edited:
ZooMacPhisto800 said:

You need a frame of reference... you'd have to see the NYC ZooTV show to which I've been comparing in order to hear what I'm saying. All I can say is, when ZooTV Sydney came out, I remember thinking how much it sucked/paled in comparison.
I have seen many MANY Zoo-TV shows on VHS and DVD,, I have even seen one live (Zooropa, Nijmegen) and I know what show you are refering to... But trust me, Zoo-TV Sydney is by far the best Zoo-TV show available... NYC doesnt even come close! The second place on video goes to Zooropa in Stockholm and after that probably the bootleg DVD version of Dublin!

On top of that; the Zooropa stage was much more complete than the Outside Broadcast stage... Zooropa McPhisto and the Sarajevo uplinks... How can you claim that NY show being better :huh:

Last edited:
Neilz said:
But trust me, Zoo-TV Sydney is by far the best Zoo-TV show available... NYC doesnt even come close!

If that's the case, give me some details to indicate that you actually know the NYC taping to which I refer. If you actually do know the show then we'll just have to be in complete disagreement on this point.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
If that's the case, give me some details to indicate that you actually know the NYC taping to which I refer. If you actually do know the show then we'll just have to be in complete disagreement on this point.
You are refering to a Philips sponsored Zoo-TV special... Hosted by some guy in army outfit... On the internet known as the Fox special I think... Now that you mention it, I doubt it was even filmed in NY...

Anyways, the European outdoor Zoo-TV leg was better than the outside broadcast version anyways.. The stage in the US was fresh, but a technical letdown compared to the one in Europe (sponsored by Philips with their vidiwalls instead of projection screens)

But really.. I have a lot of proshot DVD's from the Zoo-TV period, and nothing is as good as Sydney!

Last edited:
"hosted by some guy in an army outfit"... Yeah, so, as I was saying, you should check out the video to which I'm referring. After seeing ZooTV Sydney, I was highly disappointed.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
"hosted by some guy in an army outfit"... Yeah, so, as I was saying, you should check out the video to which I'm referring. After seeing ZooTV Sydney, I was highly disappointed.
You are talking about this one (I think) : http://www.u2torrents.com/torrents-details.php?id=471

Well, I'm being specific on what I think that your small story on this NYC gig... As long as you can't be more specific on which VHS/DVD you're talking about, all I can do is stand with my opinion! As I said, I have probably all pro-shot Zoo-TV footage and if this NYC thing of yours is pro-shot, I'll have to look it up... I'm sure I have it...

Doesn't change my mind though... I still think Zoo-TV in Sydney is U2's best live registration ever! Rattle and Hum is more of a documentary, not a full concert on film...

Last edited:
The Fox Special in 92 was filmed at the Yankee Stadium shows in NY from the same year. Its pretty cool footage. Is it better than Sydney? Footage wise, its about equal IMO. The Outside Broadcast was more of a raw feel than the Zooropa and Zoomerang tours so it was different. The production was better overall for Zooropa and Zoomerang. However, they did lose out on a few cool things from the Outside Broadcast. The trabbies that were on the boom cranes were cool and were not used in Europe or down under. They had more trabbies on stage in general on the Outside Broadcast which was very cool.

The video walls are where the Zooropa and Zoomerang tours were better. The thing I dont like about Sydney (and I'm going to get stoned for this) is Daddys Gonna Pay and Lemon. They were to processed and I didnt think they worked live. Desire and Ultraviolet on Zoo were way better live than those two songs were live. Dirty Day was outstanding though but other than that I think the European countries got the best of Zoo TV (IE production, setlist and performance).

I hear you on the Boston and Chicago shows. However, never film in the US again? That's really overlooking the problem.

The problem is Hamish Hamilton. He doesn't give you more than 2 seconds before he switches views. You get no feel for how the crowd is reacting because they don't stay focused on any one area for more than a blink of the eye.

Even Dublin 2001 is over-produced.

Milan does look interesting, but the daytime does concern me.

Best places yet to film in no particular order:
Glasgow
Montreal
Stockholm
Rotterdam

All have had fantastic shows and crowds through the years. Having read the posts this week about Montreal being loud, it brings back memories of 10-12-2001 Montreal. That city would be great to film. It took me 2 - 3 days to get my hearing back completely & I don't think it was the bands fault. Montreal is absoutely U2 nuts.

daveydave

Blue Room said:
The Fox Special in 92 was filmed at the Yankee Stadium shows in NY from the same year. Its pretty cool footage. Is it better than Sydney? Footage wise, its about equal IMO. The Outside Broadcast was more of a raw feel than the Zooropa and Zoomerang tours so it was different. The production was better overall for Zooropa and Zoomerang. However, they did lose out on a few cool things from the Outside Broadcast. The trabbies that were on the boom cranes were cool and were not used in Europe or down under. They had more trabbies on stage in general on the Outside Broadcast which was very cool.

The video walls are where the Zooropa and Zoomerang tours were better. The thing I dont like about Sydney (and I'm going to get stoned for this) is Daddys Gonna Pay and Lemon. They were to processed and I didnt think they worked live. Desire and Ultraviolet on Zoo were way better live than those two songs were live. Dirty Day was outstanding though but other than that I think the European countries got the best of Zoo TV (IE production, setlist and performance).
I agree with a lot of your points really... But Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay weren't played in Europe.. Europe had about the same setlists as the US did, so there is no argument about that.. .The production in Europe was better and set the tone for what Zoo-TV outdoors wás... On top of that, Europe did get Stay (infact, I was at the very first premiere of Stay in Holland, Nijmegen) and the Sarajevo satelite uplinks...

WildHoneyAlways said:
Again, why do people care about the crowd?? Isn't the band paid to put on a great show no matter who's in the audience?
Well, the band should perform just as good for a bad crowd as a good crowd (which U2 does)...

But for a DVD registration you want the perfect setting and the mood of a concert DVD is often set by the crowd.. It's as simple as that! The chemistry is what hits you when you watch a good concert DVD, so for the viewer it is critical...

Neilz said:

I agree with a lot of your points really... But Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay weren't played in Europe.. Europe had about the same setlists as the US did, so there is no argument about that.. .The production in Europe was better and set the tone for what Zoo-TV outdoors wás... On top of that, Europe did get Stay (infact, I was at the very first premiere of Stay in Holland, Nijmegen) and the Sarajevo satelite uplinks...

I think you misunderstood. I was saying what I dont like about the Sydney video (which would mean the Zoomerang tour) is Daddys Gonna Pay and Lemon. Europe got Desire and Ultraviolet for the encore most nights, thats why I said they had the best of both worlds, production and setlist. U2 was a well oiled machine for most of the Zooropa tour, they had the songs and show down. Thats what I was talking about. THere were a few production ideas that I pointed out (the trabbies) that I liked better for the Outside Broadcast. Otherwise, overall, the Zooropa tour was the best leg of the Zoo TV era IMO. The Outside Broadcast though was the springboard to what became Zooropa. Not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom