The concern over Milan DVD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We should petition a release of "Croke 3" and "Milan" as a double package.

Anyone with me?

Set it at about $30.99 (American dollars)

coemgen said:
How do we know it's pretty sure? Where are you guys hearing this?

It isn't. Not only has there been no official word of it (yet?), neither has there been anything from "sources close to the band" (which is always a good one).

:)

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Leave it to the guy from Holland to throw out the anti-American propaganda. Let me tell you this my friend... a windmill and wooden slippers doesn't make for good U2 DVD footage.

lol.....that was a good one.

I would like to see it only if Hamish didn't direct it.

I do think Hamish captures a certain energy which is refreshing, but I would like to go back to the Zootv and Popmart direction. I loved being able to see what the band is doing.

I now "watch" the chicago dvd with my eyes closed....I just soak in the music, rather than having a million different shots flowing though my head.

theu2fly said:
Sign the DVD petition for Milan and Croke Park 3! We can do this!

THey are likely releasing Milan anyway. Why petition for that? You can petition all you want for any of the Croke shows. U2 wont be releasing them. They didnt shoot it with the idea of release in mind. Archival footage only per Willie.

I guess, good luck. Online petitions are a waste of time for the most part. I know everyone thinks a petition caused the Slane DVD to be released. Its simply not true though. Slane was slated for release before the petition was even started. I think the same can be said with Milan.

If you are going to waste the time, do it for something they actually do have full pro shot footage of in suitable form. How about the full Red Rocks 83 show on DVD? That is more feasible IMO. If enough interest generated online about it they might consider it.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

It isn't. Not only has there been no official word of it (yet?), neither has there been anything from "sources close to the band" (which is always a good one).

One clue was in the "60 Minutes" segment on U2.... They showed a ton of Vertigo stadium footage. I don't know if it was from Milan, but it looked more professionally done than it would if it was just the 60 Minutes camera guy. Makes me think it's from an official filming of the show. :hmm:

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Yeah, that's right... Speechless.

Now... where were we? Ah yes, Live in Milan... Whatever, I say live in Hartford.
It's to stupid to even think about replying to it. I'm glad the DVD isn't made in Holland, the Milan thing will be much better :madspit:

OpperGoeroe said:
U2 should never release a "Live in [American city]" DVD again.

I'd like to know why Bono said durring the second night in Vancouver that they had decided to film the entire show. It's true there were new and different camera set up durring the second show so why film the whole show and why mention it if it was never to be released?:eyebrow:

chiso said:

Me too... Me too. :sad:

That would be great!

Next tour, they'll probably release "U2: Live in Boring, Oregon"

[Chicago?? ZzZzZz... Boston?? yeah, it was ok... but NYC.... Mmmmm...]

Well, New York gets everyting and I don't think they need the dvd. Meanwhile, I may be a bit biased since i live in the Chicago area, but Chicago crowds always seem to be a bit louder, and more into the shows than some of the other cities, and i think Chicago deserved the dvd. Not only that, but new york got more shows than any other city this tour.

theu2fly said:
Like any U2 fan, I want a good home DVD release, but with past lacklusters like Elevation live in Boston and Vertigo live in Chicago, American shows have left a bitter taste in my mouth...

So with Milan, I'm hoping that it will be comparable to Slane 2001. From the looks of it, judging by the clips on 60 Mins this past Sunday, I would say this show looks to be full of emotion and the band more laid back.

I think it will be as good as Slane, but NOTHING can ever touch Slane 2001....

I agree on everything, especially that Milan looks extremely good judging from the 60 Minutes footage, we might even get EASTER EGGS?!?!?!?!!? *GASP!*

but I do disagree about the Chicago DVD being lackluster, I enjoyed the hell out of it and it quite possibly has the Greatest U2 on DVD Moment Ever for me: Edge going insane during Electric Co.

The Pantheon of Greatest Moments of U2 on DVD:
1) Slane - UtEotW Bullfight
2) Chicago - Edge on Electric Co. + Bono tossing water of him
3) Boston - The Fly
4) Slane - "Oh look Edge, a beachball"
5) Chicago - a moment on Zoo Station where it's a longshot of the stage, and smoke is coming from the ellipse and it looks like Edge is literally on fire

OpperGoeroe said:

or the Netherlands for that matter....

the easy answer is to get rid of Hamish Hamilton (director)..

but, of course, there ARE no easy answers... (sigh)

u2wedge said:

or the Netherlands for that matter....

the easy answer is to get rid of Hamish Hamilton (director)..

but, of course, there ARE no easy answers... (sigh)
That's for sure, they can't do it to make another indoor DVD with Hamish as director, it has been long enough now.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Leave it to the guy from Holland to throw out the anti-American propaganda. Let me tell you this my friend... a windmill and wooden slippers doesn't make for good U2 DVD footage.

as a Dutchmen living in America most of his life (im 25), maybe the dumbest statement I've ever read on this board.

RademR said:

as a Dutchmen living in America most of his life (im 25), maybe the dumbest statement I've ever read on this board.

You must remember that you have a bias.

If we were to do a poll with objective questions like "do you think that a windmill and wooden slippers would make for good U2 DVD footage?", I'm confident that this board's overwhelming response would be "no".

they are planning a release of Milan Willie said so in his tour diary
heres a snippet from it

"Went to bed at 3am and got up at quarter to five which was brutal but, hey, rock and roll. After a croissant and a coffee in the lobby of the hotel, five of us set off for a whirlwind European tour of our own. Myself, Ned the Producer, Hamish the director, Allen the TV lighting consultant and Jake the production manager flew to Milan. The Big Video Shoot is two weeks from now at San Siro stadium, so we thought it best to go and have a look."

and later on:

In the spirit of multi-tasking, I managed to sort out my expense receipts whilst being driven to the stadium in the International Van of the Year. Once there we got into some serious tape viewing with Hamish, Bruce & Allen. The feeling was that last night had been relatively successful, but we were still in need of total triumph tonight. There were some funny moments too, particularly \'Original of the Species\' with the added string section. There were 16 string players split between the two b-stages for the song and even though we had run through this during soundcheck yesterday (more for logistics than anything ­ can you get a cello through the crash barrier, etc?) to all intents and purposes the first time we saw this on camera was during the show last night. When viewing the tapes someone noticed (OK, it was me) that if you closed one eye and looked at the tracking shots of the string section on the b-stage, you could imagine that they were floating past the camera on the surface of the crowd, much akin to a River Thames dinner cruise. Oh how we laughed.

We had just started watching the whole show from start to finish, when I got a call from the dressing room. I headed up there to find that the band were there also watching last night\'s tapes and were at almost exactly the same point of the show, which was weird synchronicity. As I got input and comments from the band, I would text them to Allen and Bruce who were watching in the video truck, which was not only highly efficient but amusingly hi-tech too.

We made our plans, constructed our strategy as to how to shoot this thing, then watched the band walk out on stage and do one of the greatest U2 shows I have ever seen. Bono told the audience (in Italian, I might add) \'last night was our first date, tonight \'we make love\', and if a band and their audience ever shagged each other, then this was the night it happened. It was a full on love-fest, they just nailed it, bless \'em.

You\'ll be able to see it for yourself one day, as the whole thing is committed to digital media for posterity, but of the highlights for me personally, the greatest was Bono putting on a t-shirt thrown to him from the crowd. It was a particularly unfashionable shade of blue, but bore the \'Underground\' logo from London\'s public transport system. I had a little moment, right there in the truck. Whoever could have imagined that the Tube logo could have emotional resonance.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

You must remember that you have a bias.

If we were to do a poll with objective questions like "do you think that a windmill and wooden slippers would make for good U2 DVD footage?", I'm confident that this board's overwhelming response would be "no".
Maybe we should start a poll like that, looking forward to it ;)

Popmartijn said:

Though Hamish was there with 24 cameras, and Willie Williams or someone mentioned it was important filming the show for a DVD release because of the difference of the arena show.

I'm 95% on a November 2006 release.

Re: Re: The concern over Milan DVD...

LemonMacPhisto said:

The Pantheon of Greatest Moments of U2 on DVD:
1) Slane - UtEotW Bullfight
2) Chicago - Edge on Electric Co. + Bono tossing water of him
3) Boston - The Fly
4) Slane - "Oh look Edge, a beachball"
5) Chicago - a moment on Zoo Station where it's a longshot of the stage, and smoke is coming from the ellipse and it looks like Edge is literally on fire

How about the moment that features Bono hitting one of Larry's cymbals with his microphone and receiving the icy glare of doom? :wink:

OpperGoeroe said:

Unless it's live in San Jose... :)

That's where Bono gave what he still calls his "best performance ever"

The SF Bay Area fans are always just as loud as the European fans. I've been to U2 shows in Europe and in North America, and overall, yes, the European fans are more animated, louder, wilder, etc. EXCEPT for San Francisco -- they really are on par here.

Back
Top Bottom