Thanks to U2+ Thoughts of Vertigo '05

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
(Disclaimer- I was simply trying to put down into words what seeing this band 23 times over the last 13 years has meant and why this tour was so special. This is rambling and not as cohesive as I would like- but I am not a writer. Words cannot really describe fully my thought on this anyway )

Just a few thoughts on my U2 vertigo tour. I got to see 6 shows, 3 in may, 2 in November, and one in December. I think this is a wonderful tour, and really this band is still at the top of their game. There has been no let down in the last 13 years since I first was them on March 13, 1992 when I was a freshman in high school. Without comparing each tour, and trying to declare a winner between any certain tours- I would say this tour is as good as anything they have done. Maybe it’s the time in my life, and the unknown of ever getting to see U2 again- or if they will tour again but something about this tour stirred a lot emotions- different from past shows. Different in that, these shows were very personal and reflective for me. I spent almost all six shows just quietly watching, taking it all in. I was, while at each show (and still am), continually amazed at what this band does every night. I was struck by the chances Bono takes every night. Chance to look like an absolute fool in order to connect with a large audience (crawling on stage during bullet, his drum playing on lapoe, and doing magic tricks to a child on stage). Chances by pouring out his heart about Africa and the things he cares so much about. Chances by so getting inside those songs when he sings each night and then doing it over and over. Chances to show his faith and what he believes in (Yahweh, Gloria, 40, the First time). This band is so great because this is not just a show, they are not just entertaining, this is what they believe and they give it their all every night to make it the greatest show they can possibly give.

I was blown away so many times throughout Vertigo ‘05. I was blown away that I finally got to see An Cat Dubh/ Into The Heart, Gloria, The Ocean, and The Electric Co. Blown away that a band can play songs that are 25 years old, and they are still has relevant and fresh today as they were when the were first written.
I was blown away by, no matter how many times I have seen it (23), I still get chills when Streets starts. I was blown away by the ZOO TV set- reliving the greatest concert experience of my life. I was blown away that the songs written for this album are every bit as good as any they have ever written. I was blown away by the First Time, and new ending about Grace. I was blown away by seeing Bad end a wonderful show.
I was blown away to see 20k people singing Yahweh with me at MSG. I was blown away with getting to see 40- the band leaving one at a time, and Larry’s last drum solo/ goodbye.

I was blown away, and thankful for the gift of music. As I watched, and listened to songs that have been with me my whole life (I bought UF in the 5th grade in 1985), I was thankful for the gift of music. The wonderful gift of those songs, and the talents God has given those four men and how He has used them in my life. To paraphrase Bono’s speech from Miracle Drug- the way God can inspire musicians to make the greatest music in the world.

Blown away as I listened to Original of The Species, and Sometimes You Can’t… with the thought of becoming a new father in a couple of months, they took on a whole new deeper meaning. Blown away by the range of emotions through just listening to the songs I have sat and listened to literally thousands of times, and then seeing them performed in a way that was beyond my expectations every time out.

This will never fully express what I felt at these shows- but all I can say is thank you to U2. Thanks for making the greatest music in the world. Thanks for spending years of your lives traveling the globe and playing for millions of people. Thank you for giving it all every time out, and always putting on the greatest rock show in the world.

That is a beautiful post, and I completely agree. U2's music has touched me like no other music. Ive either got tears, chills, or my hands in the air when Im at a U2 concert :)

This was a great tour! As far as I am concerned, they pushed it to the max and produced a quality show that exceed the past 2 tours without question. Vertigo may not be on level with Zoo TV, but it was that good to remind us of the Zoo days.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:up:

i'm only now starting to realize that in all likely hood i will not be seeing them again for another 4 years, unless i can somehow pull off a trip to hawaii in april, if they do in fact play there.

it's sad :sad:

yes, it is sad that it's ending. i remember feeling the same way at the end of Elevation in 2001. it lasted for a little while, and then went away. i lost my tour fever, and put U2 on the back burner for a while.

then in November 2004, the Brooklyn Bridge secret show was announced. i skipped class that morning, and headed down to line up with the other diehards. when i got there, i saw so many familiar faces from the tour 3 years earlier.... it was like a little family reunion of sorts. so even though it's sad that Vertigo is ending, hopefully there will be a day when everyone will be as tour-crazed as we are now, having setlist parties, making new friends in the GA line, running into familiar faces.... :hug:

Thank you, U2, for always putting on a wonderful tour. every one of the 14 shows i attended was unique, thanks to your enthusiasm and passion. i can't wait to do it again...

i'll end with one of my favorite memories of the tour: March 26 in LA. a bunch of fans congregated outside the arena on that warm and sunny afternoon, hoping to catch a glimpse of the band before they arrived to play for the radio contest winners. people were catching up with old friends, psyched for the tour to start- there was an electricity in the air. then out come U2 security to tell us that we, the ordinary fans, are being allowed to come inside and catch a sneak peek of the tour. the feeling was incredible! having no idea what song was going to be played next, seeing bono pound the drum during LAPOE for the first time, watching the confetti during COBL, hearing the opening riff to Zoo Station... amazing. but what's even more remarkable is what happened afterwards. while leaving the arena, we ran into Scott, a U2 security guy. someone said, "thank you so much for letting us in to the show, Scott!" he smiled and replied, "don't thank me, thank the band- it was their decision to let you all inside."

thank you. :heart: U2 :heart: see you next time.... :wave:

Well written. I saw them three times this year, and I share your sentiments.

*Ally* said:

i'll end with one of my favorite memories of the tour: March 26 in LA. a bunch of fans congregated outside the arena on that warm and sunny afternoon, hoping to catch a glimpse of the band before they arrived to play for the radio contest winners. people were catching up with old friends, psyched for the tour to start- there was an electricity in the air. then out come U2 security to tell us that we, the ordinary fans, are being allowed to come inside and catch a sneak peek of the tour. the feeling was incredible! having no idea what song was going to be played next, seeing bono pound the drum during LAPOE for the first time, watching the confetti during COBL, hearing the opening riff to Zoo Station... amazing. but what's even more remarkable is what happened afterwards. while leaving the arena, we ran into Scott, a U2 security guy. someone said, "thank you so much for letting us in to the show, Scott!" he smiled and replied, "don't thank me, thank the band- it was their decision to let you all inside."

Good times

*Ally* said:

Thats Awesome. And Thank you U2!!

I could not love this band anymore than I already do. That's what I seem to think anyway, and somehow, after every single show, I feel that the love I feel for them just grew a little bit more...

:heart:

And if any of you are going to be in Portland and want to express this gratitude, please check out my signature :)

:up: :up: :up:

Outstanding observations. Although I am much older than the OP, I, too, saw my first U2 shows in '92 (although I was a fan much earlier, I couldn't afford to see them live until Zoo TV). Words can't express how much this band means to me, and I will always be grateful for how they pour thier hearts and souls into every performance.

I only wish I were going to Portland so I could participate in the "thank you" action that a lot of the fans are planning to do at that show.

Please let it not be another four years until we can all get on this crazy ride once again...

I totally agree with the original post. I've seen them 4 times this year(one time being the COBL video shoot) and I have been blown away every time, I get chills every time, and I feel as though I'm a kid again who eagerly anticipates Christmas. I mean there is no other way to explain it. A kid sits and looks at the presents under the tree leading up to that big day where he or she gets to open them and for me that's what a U2 concert is like. You wake up the day of the show knowing that that day will in fact be one of the greatest days of your life. U2 live is so much more than a night out. It's so much more than seeing a great band, it's so much more than hearing the songs that mean so much to you at their most powerful, it's about knowing you're about to experience a highlight of your life, not just a great rock concert. It sounds cheesy but it's true. A U2 concert is a highlight of your life.

Oh and as Miroslava has mentioned if you're going to the Portland show click on her signature. We need all the help we can get.:wink:

Think about it - last year at this time did any of us think we would ever hear the songs that we herd this year live? The Electric Co, Into the Heart, An Cat Dubh, Fast Cars, Miss Sarajevo, the First Time, Zoo Station, Running to Stand Still, and 40 live again - not to mention the new songs :drool:

Thank you U2, The entire Vertigo Crew and PM

nurse chrissi said:

Think about it - last year at this time did any of us think we would ever hear the songs that we herd this year live? The Electric Co, Into the Heart, An Cat Dubh, Fast Cars, Miss Sarajevo, the First Time, Zoo Station, Running to Stand Still, and 40 live again - not to mention the new songs :drool:

Thank you U2, The entire Vertigo Crew and PM

:up: :up: :heart:

I couldn't agree with everyone more. It is sad to think 4 more years.
Let's hope SA & Aussie shows get filmed.

This thread makes me so happy... I got to see U2 3 times on this tour, once in October in DC which was my first GA experience (I was about 3 rows of people back on the main section of the floor on Edge's side), and then back to back in Boston in December.

As much as I loved all three of these shows, Boston 12-04 will always be one of my best memories ever. I had a seat, I went alone because I couldn't swing another ticket on Ticketmaster (I was buying them in Rome, and the computers at my university there were just not made for Ticketmaster). The people I was sitting with were just amazing, and completely made the show ten times better. That night, I heard Bad, I heard Fast Cars, we got an amazing third encore, and I could barely cheer the next day because my throat was just raw...

The next day, before the show, I took the train in early to head over to the Harp, to see The Joshua Tree play. They were great, but I think why I loved them so much is because they make you reevaluate the music because it's not U2 playing it. Suddenly, I found myself just focusing on the drums, nothing else. I tend to underappreciate Larry at times, and as I was listening, I realized that the drumming on these songs is so integral, so amazing... I headed across the street and into the show and was blown away again, this time I took pleasure in watching: watching the band interact, watching the people in the ellipse jump and wave their hands, watching Bono shine the light across the arena and people cheering and waving back at Bono.

As someone said above, you either get tears, chills, or your hands in the air at a U2 show. I will say, when I knew it would be the last time I'd be hearing Streets live for awhile... watching Bono kiss Adam and run out to the ellipse, hearing that guitar, feeling the drums and bass, as the flags scrolled by and you could almost feel Bono suck in that breath before he started to sing... I was definitely crying.

Thank you U2, for everything.

As much as I make suggestions and comments on the setlists and tour production (some of you might call this bitching) I have to say when it's all said and done it was an amazing tour, because hell, it's U2 and nobody puts on a show like them.

I'll never forget a lot of the amazing experiences and people I met on this tour. I was going to make a list but I realized there were so many and I'd for sure leave some people out. I just got done with my last show, and it's a bit sad, not so much that I need to see Pride again, but I will miss the interaction with the other U2 crazies and the GA experiences. I look forward to hopefully doing it all again in a few years.

Ok thats enough sappy crap from me.

^ :cute:

I have some fantastic memories from this tour and I am greatful for them. I also met some amazing people this time around. It makes me :sad: to think it's over.

Good times people, good times.

I was lucky enough to see 1 show on this tour. I bought tickets over 6 months before the concert and everyday, I was counting down until September 23 because that was the day of the U2 concert. My friends got extremely sick of me talking about it, especially the week of the concert. But I didn't care, I was going to see the greatest band ever! I went, got 2nd row GA at the tip of the ellipse and the experience changed my life forever! As others have said, there are no words to explain how you feel during and after a U2 show. After the concert, I made a vow that when the next tour came around, I would see as many shows as I possibly could, no matter where and how much it would cost me. It's sad that the tour is coming to an end, but just think when the next one starts, we'll all be going nuts again!

Thanks to U2 :heart: and all those who work so hard to make the tour so amazing!

at the beginning of the tour i figured id only be going to like 2 or 4 shows, tops. i ended up seeing U2 24 times this year. every one of those concerts kicked immense ass, and im glad i went to all the shows i went to. i'd go to more if i could have, and if school hadnt gotten in the way. i got to see every song that they've played on tour so far except for in a little while, i've seen the popmuzik>discotheque. 40--> Vertigo X2 in NJ1. instant karma. being in the ellipse. great times. can't say that i met anybody from here, but regardless, just going to the shows themselves were an amazing experience. i figured since im only 18 years old i might as well go to as many as i can...hopefully even more next time 'round.

australia is still an option for me, as is hawaii if the rumors are true, so im holding out hope my tour is not over.

kinda a bittersweet feeling right now, with the tour ending and all....felt like this tour could go on forever.....got to see them 6 times, and those probably were the greatest 6 days of my life....will never forget them.....spending the entire week with them in may in chicago (during bono's b-day)....then spending almost a week with them in sept in chicago....hell, i got fired from my job after the sept shows cause i was skipping so much work to go to the shows, hang out outside their hotel to try and meet the band (luckily i got a better job soon after), but it was totally worth it....no better reason to get fired from work than for u2....thanks guys...the end is not as fun as the start.....can't wait for next time....

U2One said:
kinda a bittersweet feeling right now, with the tour ending and all....felt like this tour could go on forever.....got to see them 6 times, and those probably were the greatest 6 days of my life....will never forget them.....spending the entire week with them in may in chicago (during bono's b-day)....then spending almost a week with them in sept in chicago....hell, i got fired from my job after the sept shows cause i was skipping so much work to go to the shows, hang out outside their hotel to try and meet the band (luckily i got a better job soon after), but it was totally worth it....no better reason to get fired from work than for u2....thanks guys...the end is not as fun as the start.....can't wait for next time....

:up:

Thank you, U2. Seven amazing shows, one across the Atlantic... and all so amazingly different, even one night after the other. Thank you, too, for having faith enough in yourselves to make new music and play it in the faces of those who complain that you don't play enough "old U2" and those who want the stadiums to be packed with ALL 20-year-U2 fans, thank you for continuously striving to make yourselves relevant to new generations, thank you for giving back to us, the oldies, with songs like Electric Co. and Gloria, thank you.

I want to thank U2 too. I saw them for the first time in 92 as well. This year I was lucky enough to see them 3 times, in different cities, the most I've seem in one tour. I've never gotten on a plane and travelled to see any concert, and everybody thought I was crazy, but it was worth it. I scored GA for the first time since Zoo t.v. and it was one of the most amazing experience's of my life. As I get older it's hard to think about where you'll be in four years. Hopefully it'll be at at U2 show. But, you never know. It'll also be hard knowing they'll be playing in portland, less than six hours away from where I live, and not be there. But, I was out of the country when tixs. went on sale. I'm happy for everybody who'll be there and who get to see them for the 4th leg. How I concidered mex. city. How I'll ponder Hawaii if it'll happen. 4/14 husband's 30th bday. and a good friend in honolulu. Got my fingers crossed. Get back from London on 4/9. Could happen.

All I can say is, what a ride. :love: It was an amazing tour for me, even more so than Elevation and I thought that that would be as good as it gets. I was so wrong.

When tickets went on sale I bought tickets for five shows. Over the course of the year I added a show here and there and somehow ;) ended up with nine of the most phenomenal live shows I will ever see in my life. It's hard to pick the most memorable, since there are moments from each one I'll always remember, but a few things that stand out right now are getting into the ellipse so many times (5 out of 9, front row every time), seeing the boys in NYC (something I never thought I'd be able to say!), the five day U2-a-thon with Miroslava, and finally the greatness that was the Cleveland show. There were many times during that show where I just stood in awe watching those four men play, thinking how lucky we all are they're still together, still putting out great music, and touring at all. A few times during this tour I reflected on how much they mean to me, as well as each other, and it amazes me. It amazes me that even after all these years I love this band more than I did when I first saw them on MTV. :heart:

I'm heartbroken that it's all over. There are so many cool people I met and got to see again this year, and I hope that I won't have to wait four years to see some of you again. :hug: I just wish it wasn't over so soon! Doesn't it seem like the year flew by?

I had a dream last night I met Edge. He gave me a pick and was wearing a fuzzy green sweater. He caught me watching the opening band and came over to talk and even waited for me when I had to go back to the hotel to get something for him to sign. I guess this is a sign that I haven't quite been able to let go yet. :shifty: :lol:

I can't say anything more than thank you. :bow:

I'd like to add my own thank you note. :)

What a year this has been. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine Vertigo 2005. I saw four shows this year--one in April, one in May, one in November, and one in December--and each show was "the best show" of the tour. :wink: Each show made me realise that U2 is still at the top and no one can touch them.

I've also met some incredible people this year and am so grateful for the friendships that have developed because of mutual U2 love. Friendships that began on the internet soon moved over into "real life," and now I've got lifelong friends--and more U2 concert traveling buddies!

I can't say thank you enough to U2 because what I've gotten from them, the music, the joy--can never be repaid. Bono's always talking about how we've given them a great life, but I feel that U2 has returned the favor many, many times over.

Thank you Bono, Adam, Edge, Larry, Paul, Vertigo tour crew/staff, PM, the families for sharing them with us, and everyone else I haven't listed. Thank you for an incredible year. Love and Peace!

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."--Maya Angelou :heart:

jphelmet said:
Just a few thoughts on my U2 vertigo tour. I got to see 6 shows, 3 in may, 2 in November, and one in December. I think this is a wonderful tour, and really this band is still at the top of their game. There has been no let down in the last 13 years since I first was them on March 13, 1992 when I was a freshman in high school. Without comparing each tour, and trying to declare a winner between any certain tours- I would say this tour is as good as anything they have done. Maybe it’s the time in my life, and the unknown of ever getting to see U2 again- or if they will tour again but something about this tour stirred a lot emotions- different from past shows. Different in that, these shows were very personal and reflective for me. I spent almost all six shows just quietly watching, taking it all in. I was, while at each show (and still am), continually amazed at what this band does every night. I was struck by the chances Bono takes every night. Chance to look like an absolute fool in order to connect with a large audience (crawling on stage during bullet, his drum playing on lapoe, and doing magic tricks to a child on stage). Chances by pouring out his heart about Africa and the things he cares so much about. Chances by so getting inside those songs when he sings each night and then doing it over and over. Chances to show his faith and what he believes in (Yahweh, Gloria, 40, the First time). This band is so great because this is not just a show, they are not just entertaining, this is what they believe and they give it their all every night to make it the greatest show they can possibly give.

I agree with your post.
To me the reason why this is such a great tour is because it really pretty much encompasses so much of U2 as whole. It's about what U2 is about and wants to be about. It's a shrine to it.
No other tour yet has really done this. This tour has a bit of every other tour in it somewhere. Thats what special about it compared to the rest.

I like this actually: "This tour is U2's shrine to what they are about"

This is Adam's tour! The Silver Fox is born and he adds something special- if not already a highlight on his own- to every show!

And that's not all. You'd be blown away if I told you everything

Chizip said:
As much as I make suggestions and comments on the setlists and tour production (some of you might call this bitching) I have to say when it's all said and done it was an amazing tour, because hell, it's U2 and nobody puts on a show like them.

I'll never forget a lot of the amazing experiences and people I met on this tour. I was going to make a list but I realized there were so many and I'd for sure leave some people out. I just got done with my last show, and it's a bit sad, not so much that I need to see Pride again, but I will miss the interaction with the other U2 crazies and the GA experiences. I look forward to hopefully doing it all again in a few years.

Ok thats enough sappy crap from me.

What the hell happened to you? You used to be so bad ass. You are no longer allowed to have that guy in your signature :tsk:

Nah, I would just like to say that this is a great thread :up:

Back
Top Bottom