Take heart - at least they are no longer the best in the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roach Daddy

Babyface
Better albums than Vertigo in the past year: Green Day, Killers, Ash.

Green Day are now way ahead of U2 live. The singer has more charisma and energy than Bono.

Would have been nice to get tickets - enjoyed the Elevation tour (was in the heart) but there are other groups to see. Open your eyes and ears - spend your money elsewhere.

the new green day album is unbelievable. as far as ditching U2 for a different band, not gonna happen. but as a long time Prop member, i really feel like i've been dumped by my dream girl.

You can't talk about Green Day and U2 in the same breathe, except to say that Green Day are not fit to be mentioned with U2. Difference between the two bands - U2 are good.

to be fair, I did go see Green Day in November, and they put on a hell of a show... although for the most part, it was pretty "by the numbers"

not quite the emotion and spectacle of the U2 shows I've seen on the DVD's.. which I'm sure will be even more powerful live

First of all, Vertigo was not the album. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was the album.

Second of all, I stand by my thinking that HTDAAB was the best of 2004.

Third of all, there's no way that 'the singer' has more charisma than Bono (even though he wears that dreadful eye shadow)

fourth of all, how can you say Green Day is far ahead of U2 live when U2 hasn't toured for four year?!

Fifth of all, my eyes and ears ARE open

sixth of all, are you seriously trying to convince me to boycott the Vertigo tour?

The Green Day Album is great, but I would not want to try and compare Billie Joe Armstrong with Bono, nor American Idiot with How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Blimey, and I even know all of the names

:ohmy:

It's difficult to write this cause I'm laughing so hard - Green Day??? You have to be kidding - we'll see where they are 20 years from now. The album may be good and thier live performances "great" but they are still a watered down cheap version of The Clash minus the great songwriting and various styles. C'mon man, there are so many better bands out there than Green Day - U2 included.

This is where I disagree. I don't think artists should be pitted against each other, I see this all the time. These guys are better than those, etc.

Different artists evoke different moods and play different music. Why not like both? Why the need for being 'better"?

U2 are on a far different scale than Green Day, objectively speaking, you have to admit that.

This is exactly why I have a hard time between choosing my so called 'favorite' or 'best' band....is it U2 or The Tea Party...or Nick Cave...or Metallica...or Soundgarden...sh*t, I love 'em all! Fock!

What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

Last edited:
Roach Daddy said:

Green Day are now way ahead of U2 live. The singer has more charisma and energy than Bono.

Would have been nice to get tickets - enjoyed the Elevation tour (was in the heart) but there are other groups to see. Open your eyes and ears - spend your money elsewhere.

And your point would be....?

Man, boredom manifests itself in some mysterious ways. :eyebrow:

C'mon dude, Green Day is a shitty band. I don't care how good they play their shitty songs live--they're still playing shitty songs. And the first time I heard "American Idiot" I wanted to vomit. I can't believe that Green Day has the nerve to write a song about how the media is corrupting "idiot America." This from the band whose video is being beamed on to the television sets of airhead teenagers all over the country courtesy of MTV (a.k.a. Mindfuck Television). Of course, the fact that Green Day have managed to sell 3 million or so albums may just go to show that there are plenty of American idiots out there.

As for the Killers--they're a decent band, but they've still got a long way to go before they're even in the same league as U2. They beat the hell out of Green Day though.

All that to say that you can stick with your Green Day, your Killers, and your Ash. I'll stick with my U2.

Roach Daddy said:

Vertigo is not an album, its a song! The Killers have 5 good songs on their new album, the rest is almost unlistenable. Green Day is better than Britney or a Boy band, but thats about it.

I've seen lots of artist live, DMB, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Greatful Dead, REM, Guns N' Roses just to name a few, but no one is as good as U2.

Last edited:
nicholsfornixon said:
C'mon dude, Green Day is a shitty band. I don't care how good they play their shitty songs live--they're still playing shitty songs. And the first time I heard "American Idiot" I wanted to vomit. I can't believe that Green Day has the nerve to write a song about how the media is corrupting "idiot America." This from the band whose video is being beamed on to the television sets of airhead teenagers all over the country courtesy of MTV (a.k.a. Mindfuck Television). Of course, the fact that Green Day have managed to sell 3 million or so albums may just go to show that there are plenty of American idiots out there.

As for the Killers--they're a decent band, but they've still got a long way to go before they're even in the same league as U2. They beat the hell out of Green Day though.

All that to say that you can stick with your Green Day, your Killers, and your Ash. I'll stick with my U2.

Why dont you listen to the whole album before making judgement. American Idiot the song is one of the worst on the CD.

I love Green Day's new CD, but I don't like thier old stuff much. I also cant stand their 'look' and stuff. I'll just listen to the CD and spend all my concert money on U2 :)

Where did you go? You make some grand post and then leave it there to die? Green Day is good. U2 is off the chain. Anybody's live act can make you bob your head and pump your fists, but how many can make you want to lie down on the ground, break out into tears, say a prayer, and get back up feeling better than you ever have in your life?

Last edited:
Yeah, Bono should be wearing women's makeup and twitching his head like he has terets syndrome like that idiot Billy Joe does.....Greenday are a bunch of clowns whose music or live performances come nowhere near the level of U2....

Name ONE Greenday song I'll hear on the radio 10-15 yrs down the road.....Pathetic:huh:

Perhaps they're basing their opinion on U2's performance at the Grammys versus Green Day at the Grammys?

To say other bands have surpassed U2 in a live arena at this point is hilarious since the Vertigo Tour hasn't started yet. :lol:

but they are still a watered down cheap version of The Clash minus the great songwriting and various styles.

I could say Green Day is faux punk but I actually like them. And The Clash...what a classic rock band. Epitomy of punk(politics, music, and attitude).

Walk On. :wink:

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
Perhaps they're basing their opinion on U2's performance at the Grammys versus Green Day at the Grammys?

To say other bands have surpassed U2 in a live arena at this point is hilarious since the Vertigo Tour hasn't started yet. :lol:

It will be hilarious after the tour has started too

:wink:

Why bother comparing? The music and vibe are on different planets. It just depends which style you are in the mood for.

I have Green Day's new album and I like it a lot. But I need to be in the mood for it.

U2's entire back catologue I can listen to no matter what mood I'm in.

Green Day hits me on a superficial level sonically - which is fine.
U2 hits me in my core as if the songs were written for me.

i don't get why we always have to compare U2 to other bands. U2 is my favorite band ever, and i'm comfortable enough with that fact that i don't have to put down other bands to justify it.

Roach Daddy said:

Would have been nice to get tickets - enjoyed the Elevation tour (was in the heart) but there are other groups to see.

First of all, Vertigo isn't the name of the album.

Secondly, having charisma doesn't make you a better singer. I like the Green Day CD, but they cannot match the musical and lyrical level that U2 has reached with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Plus, you don't know what Bono is going to bring to the tour this summer. He could be planning something wild and 'out of control'.

I agree that Green Day and the Killers rock, but they aren't at the level of U2.

Seriously I am all for different musical tastes. The world would be boring without them, and I like all kinds of music myself. There is no reason to try and compare Green Day with U2. They are two totally different bands, with different styles and talents. I like Greenday too, but to say that they are anywhere near the live act that U2 is I would have to disagree, as I have seen both. I've been to tons of shows, most were great in their own way, but no show on earth is better than the one U2 puts on. I've never had another band actually make my knees buckle and bring tears to my eyes.

Plus my friend you are on a U2 forum. Not that discussions of other bands, and other musical tastes aren't allowed, but seems to me you are just trying to stir the pot here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom