Sydney II Setlist & Watch Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the first full band electric version of Desire since Zoo TV yeh? It is electric isn't it? Actually, think they played it on Top of the Pops when they were debuting Vertigo although it wasn't televised.

Marko said:
it seems to me that all the changes that we can expect are in form of songs that are on u218 cd...
so no way that they will play Hawkmoon or maybe One Tree Hill :(

I reckon I would put good money on it that OTH will get an airing in Auckland. 13 years... and a song that was written about a landmark there... it will get a showing.

#KIWIMOFO# said:
I would take this set on Monday - but I think they might change it up a bit on Monday even more....

Set list for Monday:

Out of Control
New Years Day
Ultra Violet
Desire
MOFO (With Kanye)
HMTMKMKM
Electical Storm
Love is Blindness
FIll it out with normal SBS, WTSHNN, etc
Hawkmoon
In Gods Country
End with 40.

what, no acrobat? :tongue:

DublinGuy said:
This is the first full band electric version of Desire since Zoo TV yeh? It is electric isn't it? Actually, think they played it on Top of the Pops when they were debuting Vertigo although it wasn't televised.

Edge played electric when he did Desire 4/2001 in Vancouver. I'm not sure if they ever did Desire, full band, with Edge on Electric in 2001.

#KIWIMOFO# said:

I reckon I would put good money on it that OTH will get an airing in Auckland. 13 years... and a song that was written about a landmark there... it will get a showing.

I'm expecting at least a snippet.

#KIWIMOFO# said:

At the very least it will get a run as a snippet after One - thats how it was done for Zoo TV. Vertigo is even more history oriented, so a full length (if not full band) OTH is possible.

U2_Neat said:

what, no acrobat? :madspit:

They only have a day to get the rust off those songs. And it is Sunday and looking sunny - so they might not feel like that. Some simple songs with loop backing might be a possibility - like Bono and Kanye doing Miami. He should earn his keep. He was only on stage of about 20 of the 35 minutes. And sang for about 10 of those....

U2FanPeter said:

Edge played electric when he did Desire 4/2001 in Vancouver. I'm not sure if they ever did Desire, full band, with Edge on Electric in 2001.

I don't remember specifics, but I got Desire on my Elevation show in Anaheim April 2001, first night. I didn't pay attention to guitars and such :reject:

Thanks U2_Neat :hug:

I believe this is a final setlist:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Years Day
6. Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet)? / Blackbird (snippet)?
Bono speech - said everyone in the family is well
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (snippet)
8. Stuck In A Moment
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna a Surriento (snippet)
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Father Abraham bit, as usual)
12. Bullet the Blue Sky / Hands That Built America / When Johnny Comes Marching Home
13. Miss Sarajevo
Human Rights
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

ENCORE:

17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. With Or Without You / Love Will Tear Us Apart (Snippet)

20. Saints Are Coming
21 DESIRE
22. Kite

GOODNIGHT ALL! (I'll read tomorrow night :wink: )

hi zwervers :wave:

nice to see that they ended with kite again (because that is one of the best ideas they've ever come up with).

not sure i think the three 'new' songs of the night are such a big deal, though.

Lila64 said:
sorry, my connection crashed - I missed hearing Saints :grumpy:

But Desire?
thud.gif
My system froze up too, and I was going to close some things down and restart them, but the sound kept working (it was the only thing!) so I left it as is. Go figure.

coolian2 said:
Wow, i just saw Kite from yesterday on Youtube.

Sometimes the simplest gimmicks are the best. Fuck the trabants, the golden parabola, that kite was powerful.

It was powerful, as was the Digiridoo... That was awesome. I hope the Kiwis get it too - It shoudlnt just be an Australian thing... That kite taking off though - wow... Although it got a little stuck in the screen on the way :) But - that was just as Bono said "There is a kite blowing out of control on the breeze" :)

One Tree Hill is a cert in Auckland,no question.Either snippet or full.Last snippet was Oakland on 8th November 2005....

U2Man said:
hi zwervers :wave:

nice to see that they ended with kite again (because that is one of the best ideas they've ever come up with).

not sure i think the three 'new' songs of the night are such a big deal, though.

HI U2man :wave:

Ilove the kite-idea too actually..

schnumi said:
Wow U2 is keeping it fresh. Now for the love of god throw in some Zooropa and POP songs guys!

no chance for that...there is nothing from those LP's on u218...
not even stay.... :(

I love the change in setlists, but this is now a "greatest hits" tour....damn...

not that I wouldn't like to be on every concert down under :)

Speaking of tonight's set list - I am holding it in my hand!!!
Amazing show - slept out and i was very FIRST person in Ellipse - front row centre (with 16 friends we were all on the fence at the front - got so lucky). Amazing Show, Better than Sydney 1. They were happy and were hugging and giving each Hi-fives at the end of the first set as they had so obviously nailed it tonight in a BIG way. I never thought my ZooTV Sydney expereince could be matched, but this is now a close second!

hmm - not to sure where to put this. Pasted from my post in another thread:

Yes, great show. Bono stuffed up a few lines in Elevation (and at one point he seemed to be out of tune - lol) but who cares!?! I was so surprised that my favourite for the night was Still Haven't Found. It was so emotional and beautifully sung.

I thought Bono didn't move around that much and that the B-stages were underutilised but his singing was sensational. Incredible singing.

Nice to see In A LIttle while tacked onto Found. But they didn't play Bad - not that it was expected.

Can't say whether i prefered having Desire over Angel - singing was great and Bono really got into it, but i think Angel would have worked better from an audience participation point of view.

Personally i would have preferred Yahweh to Stuck but it was sung absolutely beautifully and the crowd loved it

Miss Sarajevo was a show stopper - in the best of ways. Everyone was dead quiet, no talking - just fixed concentration even in position at the back. It works brilliantly. The crowd went beserk over the UDHR - surprising but great.

Not only did he dedicate SBS to the Bali bombing victims (dozens came from SYdney) he said it is now "your song". Having lost my best mate in the bombing who's favourite U2 song was SBS was great.

I was hanging out for Zoo Station but i was slightly dissappointed. It sounded very muddy and although I liked the drum treatments, it seemed to smoother everything else inluding the melody. The Fly was amazing - they are such a great band. Loved Kite - great emotional closer. What was Bono saying about Cate Blanchett (Sydney resident)???

I was towards the back of the stalls and everyone around us was into it and although most were sitting for the first half everyone was singing and cheering away the whole time. I was gearing up for dissappointment as I saw the Stones from a similar position earlier this year and it was lousy. THe band themselves were great but the sound was rubbish - and the crowd was flat. But U2 simply put on better shows that the Stones. The Stones are just great party songs all in a row. U2 is a much more emotional and spiritually deepers experience .

Saints was fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

pretty cool set list for Sydney night 2

id LuV to Hear ONE TREE HILL

Cmon guys play it one night plzzzz

BB

Sydney 3 has to have at least 2 of these:

All I Want Is You
Bad
All Because Of You

These have been Vertigo tour regulars. Australia needs them too.

I'm wondering if Sydney 3 will get Vertigo x2 like Europe did? Sure to spark a lot of contraversy if so. But I reckon having Vertigo closing would be better than Kite since I think Kite is a pretty flat way to close the show because nobody knows it. Real fans do of course know it but we are the minority. Most of the crowd stand around comatose during Kite and then the show is over and it is all a little flat.

Back
Top Bottom