SYCMIOYO....how emotional is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheFly40 said:
It's theater people!!!!! Almost everything in a U2 show is staged...from the positioning of the band to Bono's speeches which are written for him. It's the same calculated, BUT very effective routine EVERY night. That's what makes Bono the ultimate frontman--he can sing and act.

Haven't you ever heard him speak about this song--he tells the SAME story during every interview. "My father was a postal worker who loved the opera. He conducted with knitting needless..."

Don't get me wrong, if the song touches you and makes you emotional then you're experiencing the music on a different level--go with it. That being said, this "teary eyed" (probably sweat) Bono is no different then him playing McPhisto...it's all part of the act.

Is this someone posing as Jick?

MattFromNYC said:
his speeches are written for him? um from what i know, he wrote them himself and just repeats himself with the same speech everynight. so wtf's wrong with that? who the hell said someone else wrote it for him?

each thing they do is so great that it shouldnt be missed the next night, etc.. so they repeat the same other stuff. so what?

does that make u2 any less real? no, not really.

"So wtf's wrong with that" Wow! MattFromNYC is a little sensitive when it comes to Bono's speeches??

Check out the book U2 Show. All the important people who are involved in creating a U2 concert detail their roles. There's a section devoted to a guy who writes concert speeches for Bono.

Bono also wears shoes with super thick soles to make him look taller. Oh no, another illusion exposed. It's a rock concert, of course there's going to be some smoke and mirrors!

TheFly40 said:

"So wtf's wrong with that" Wow! MattFromNYC is a little sensitive when it comes to Bono's speeches??

Check out the book U2 Show. All the important people who are involved in creating a U2 concert detail their roles. There's a section devoted to a guy who writes concert speeches for Bono.

Bono also wears shoes with super thick soles to make him look taller. Oh no, another illusion exposed. It's a rock concert, of course there's going to be some smoke and mirrors!

Anyone who has been a longtime fan, in fact anyone who can see knows the thing about the shoes. As for the speeches, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some collaboration but I doubt they are written without substantial input from Bono. As for how SYCMIOYO is presented each night, yes that is staged to a point. Bono is out on the catwalk when the song begins, making his way to the tip where he turns towards the now blank light curtain to sing the bridge. Then as he finishes the song, he continues walking up the catwalk and back to the stage. But to suggest that the emotional component is completely staged is ludicrous. As other have stated, I'm sure there are times when he can sing the words and not get too emotional, but others when it does hit him. Even after singing it night after night. It's like with anybody else. I can sit here today and almost matter-of-factly tell you how my father died. Then there are times when I just have to think of him or see his picture and I break down into tears, 14 years after he passed away. Anybody who has experienced the death of a loved one knows this. Time, distance, even "concert staging" don't change that.

Love and peace:heart:

You can see it when Bono is just acting, and then you can see it when it is real, when it is true emotion. I disagree strongly that Bono stages his emotions, (SNL is a great example of no acting, true emotions coming from him). Like everyone else here has said, some nights he probably doesnt feel it as much, but other nights its all heart and emotion coming from him. I still get the chills everytime I hear the BRIDGE! Great song

I actually got choked up listening to SYCMIOYO when the radio station in Denver played it about 3 hours before the Denver 1 show. They were doing a little "mini U2 marathon". I was just totally overcome with emotion with the fact that I was about to see U2 and hearing the song which always reminds me of my father and another relationship i'm in right now. There I was sitting in the car with one of my best friends and my sis - a bit embarrassing to say the least. Got teary again at the show when Bono sang it because he came out on the ellipse. I really think its one of the best performances of the night

Meanwhile, its wierd, but RTSS, the song that gets everyone else choked up, has like no effect on me whatsoever. The version on this tour is almost a 'head for the concessions' song for me. Maybe i've heard it too many times or something.

Bono isn't doing an act during that song, or at least he wasn't in Philly last Sunday. He was on the catwalk right in front of me during the middle of the song, the most emotional part, and I could feel so much emotion from him. He didn't have his shades on then, and when he looked out at me and the people around me singing along, his eyes welled up. Seeing that made mine well up, too.

I'm not one to cry a lot, but I teared up several times during the show, including when we got to the floor and I realized how close we were. It was a very emotional show. They played amazingly, and yes, sometimes what Bono said was prepared, but nothing could prepare him for the crowd's reaction on any given night.

Bring your tissues!

I felt it was very real for him too, it was lovely to watch. I would imagine memories of his Dad might come into his head during that song and it must be tough.

You gotta love people taking beer and bathroom breaks during that song though :huh:

TheFly40 said:
It's theater people!!!!! Almost everything in a U2 show is staged...from the positioning of the band to Bono's speeches which are written for him. It's the same calculated, BUT very effective routine EVERY night. That's what makes Bono the ultimate frontman--he can sing and act.

Haven't you ever heard him speak about this song--he tells the SAME story during every interview. "My father was a postal worker who loved the opera. He conducted with knitting needless..."

Don't get me wrong, if the song touches you and makes you emotional then you're experiencing the music on a different level--go with it. That being said, this "teary eyed" (probably sweat) Bono is no different then him playing McPhisto...it's all part of the act.

You're post is really insensitive. Bono is showing lots of emotion through that song and it is not faked.

RTSS tears me up though.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure Bono is just being MacPhisto like when he talks about his father. If that's your opinion, fine. Is it absolutely necessary to express it?

I can't wait until this tour forum goes away :dance:

MrsSpringsteen said:
If that's your opinion, fine. Is it absolutely necessary to express it?

The nerve of someone expressing a different opinion then yours.

Also kind of interesting how Bono wears sunglasses during the entire show, every show, (EVERYWHERE off of the stage too), yet he happens to take them off during this one song. Hmmmm.

Bono is human, of course he's going to get emotional at times. My point is that he goes through the same motions, speeches, positions on stage night after night. Makes me think it's choreographed.

TheFly40 said:

The nerve of someone expressing a different opinion then yours.

Um, no. People express different opinions than mine here all the time, I usually never say anything because usually I can predict the outcome and it's just not worth it to me.

Yes of course the whole show is choreographed and routine by now, I guess that's the way they like it. But for someone to suggest that Bono's emotion during this song isn't authentic bothers me, and I think I have a right to say so. I don't think Bono walks on water or craps gold for that matter, just FYI.

Reread your original post-teary eyed Bono, it's all just an act. Maybe someday you'll get to ask him if that's the case.

It IS the Deifinative song of this Tour
in my Humble opinion........
I loved it Live first 2 nites I am sure it will be a show stopping and Topping moment for me Tonite!
It reaches me due to a Strong Connection w/ my own Parents...
It is Streets Level/JT tour for me...

i can really relate to this song so it probably will be emotional for me :(

of course he wouldn't always be emotional singing it, i sometimes think of the good times with my mum, and other times i get really chocked up and upset,as does anyone who is human. The same goes for Bono , he might not be sheeding a tear everynight on stage, but the song comes from his heart :heart:

Back
Top Bottom