Support Acts - Interpol???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2ann69

The Fly
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone knows the kind of music Interpol play. I am going to watch the bhoys at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland and the rest of the Europe support acts ie Feeder, Snow Patrol, The Killers, Ash, Razorlight, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Athlete and Kaiser Chiefs I know their music and love their music but although I've looked up Interpol's website I cant really say that I've heard any of their songs. Anyone have any clue which Im sure you all will. Although I know they will be great as U2 dont get rubbish support acts!!

Thanks

Ann

Interpol are a good band. :) I don't quite know how I'd describe their music...maybe a harder version of Coldplay? Actually, that's a bit of a silly comparison, because the lead singer sounds nothing like Chris Martin. Anyway, I have no idea what they're like live, but I must say, they're pretty darn good in the studio. I like them much more than The Killers/Franz Ferdinand/Snow Patrol/etc.

You should check out their album, Antics.

Last edited:
Heh, well on second thought, they're not too much like Coldplay. The singer sounds nothing like Chris Martin. From a musical sense, though, they're a bit like Coldplay, just cranked up a little. If you're looking to download any songs, I'd suggest "Take You On A Cruise" and "Public Pervert". Those are my favourites. :)

Let us know if they're any good Ann!!

Having suffered Kelis and PJ Harvey as support before, I hope Interpol are a vast improvement.

Still, if they're not so good and the grass is dry, I can always lie down for a nap on the turf before U2 come on :wink:

ann, if you want a preview listen to some of their stuff, drop me a line at rodgerdavies at gmail dot com (Please only ann, I can't use pm 'cos I'm not a premium member)

Lie down on the grass, I wish but Im in the seating with my kids, thought it best to be seated as they are 11 and 15 and boy are they going to have a great time. Roger, there is an email on its way and thanks.

Ann

Interpol is an absolutely fantastic band. They hail from New York and are one of the hottest live acts touring the States. Their debut album "Turn on the Bright Lights" is one of the best records of this decade (far superior to "Antics," IMO). They have a very similar sound and vibe to Joy Division with U2 influences to boot (check out the guitar on "Leif Erikson" from TOTBL).

My friend saw them recently at a club gig and was driven to tears by their show. You are in for a treat!

Japes

Thanks Japes, they do sound like my kind of band. I liked Joy Division aswell so sounding great to me. Hopefully going to hear them before I go to the concert but Im sure they will be great and have everybody eating out of their hands. I looked up their website, well the first time I put the name in I must have spelled it wrong and got on to the interpol police website - ooppss haha

Ann

Their debut album "Turn on the Bright Lights" is one of the best records of this decade (far superior to "Antics," IMO).

Along with "How to Disarm an Atomic Bomb" of course. :wink:

Last edited:
Yeah, as soon as I listened to them, I was like, who do they sound like? Joy Division, of course. Then I realised everyone else was making the same comparisons - reviewers, listeners, and other critics alike.

I'll be seeing U2 at Hampden too, and was delighted at Interpol being announced as support. "Obstacle 1" and "Public Pervert" are 2 of my fave songs of theirs.

I saw Interpol in Denver, and they were really great (even though their show was only an hour.)

Did anyone see in Spin, their guitar player said he heard Unforgettable Fire (the album), and right then he decided his goal in life was to play guitar in a band. So he set out to form a band, and eventually created Interpol.

drt4 said:

Did anyone see in Spin, their guitar player said he heard Unforgettable Fire (the album), and right then he decided his goal in life was to play guitar in a band. So he set out to form a band, and eventually created Interpol.

Wow, that's cool! :D Yet another reason to love UF, one of my favorite bands right now exists because of it! ;)

Interpol are fantastic, I'm a bit jealous that you'll get to see them opening for U2! lol Sounds like the perfect concert to me! :D

Hey,

I've seen about 20 shows in the past 6 months from Franz, The Killers, Bloc Party, Arcade Fire etc etc. and Interpol was one of the best. They sound great live and they had a stellar lighting display behind them that sort of made them into silhouettes and worked very well (timed to make each song an individual experience). Unfortunately, I doubt they'll have the chance to make it like that as openers, but you'll love them. And they were very humble and appreciative (much unlike Brandon Flowers), so we're definitely jealous over here in NA. Have a great time!

wow, some great news about Interpol, looks as though myself and my kids and then again the whole of Hampden Park, Glasgow are going to have a great time.

Interpol is a great band... I'm seeing them this summer at Rockin' Park in Holland... Their sound is al lot like Joy Division... Great stuff...

Neilz said:
Interpol is a great band... I'm seeing them this summer at Rockin' Park in Holland... Their sound is al lot like Joy Division... Great stuff...

yeah but the 2nd album sounds less like Joy Division, guess it's a positive development anyway.

hope they will open for 19th June London show! :bow:

Back
Top Bottom