strange stage setup Amsterdam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soulrock2 said:
Your point is only your opinion. My opinion: ugly stadium, not a good natural vibe and small compared to the other stadiums being used. That's the major point why I think they should NOT film in Amsterdam.

BTW I'm not bragging about my sources. It's just weird people are assuming things like you do based on a backdrop, closed roof and a 3-nights-in-a-row option. The crowd is nice but not better than many others in Europe IMO.
ugly stadium? the amsterdam arena is a great stadium, imo

Soulrock2 said:
Your point is only your opinion. My opinion: ugly stadium, not a good natural vibe and small compared to the other stadiums being used. That's the major point why I think they should NOT film in Amsterdam.

BTW I'm not bragging about my sources. It's just weird people are assuming things like you do based on a backdrop, closed roof and a 3-nights-in-a-row option. The crowd is nice but not better than many others in Europe IMO.
My point is not only my opinion, it was the main reason why The Stones filmed in the Amsterdam Arena for their DVD!

The Amsterdam Arena is used many times for recordings like this; some other plusses that come with the stadium and are used at all gigs (for your information) :
- Extra lighting for luminating the seated audience (on film concerts are often dark, you need to light the audience extra)
- Spotlights hanging from the roof
- Stadium ads are easely folded back

See, if I would say that Holland rules and that we would be perfect on the DVD; Yes, that would be my opinion! But the Amsterdam Arena being a perfect venue to record the DVD is not just my opinion...

Neilz said:

If people inside don't see any extra camera's indeed, then there will be no DVD shoot at all during ANY of the Amsterdam gigs... Normally the first gig is a rehearsal, so all camera's should be in place...

Not how it happened for the Chicago DVD shoot. There was NO extra equipment at all for the first Chicago show. They loaded it in on the day off after the first show. Which is the same scenario for Amsterdam. So they would most likely load in the extra gear tomorrow if they were going to shoot. I dont think they are filming in Amsterdam though even though I think it would be a cool place for them to film. Milan will be cool though also.

Zooropa man said:
I don't get it. Can someone explain the reason for the black curtain. If they are indeed shooting for a DVD, why have it....?

because you cant see the empty chairs behind the stage and its easier to edit songs from different dates because the stage then looks exactly the same..(probably there are more reasons then this)

I think the screen is interesting as it isolates the stage, but it makes for a bit of a "fake" scenario.

Also - it confuses me as the point of the screen is that is is semi-transparent. This, I assume would make the screen more vivid when filmed.

I dunno - mixed thoughts on this - it is not really how the show goes, but oh well.

sami0201 said:
I just read this whole thread...I wish I had a guy like one of you!:hug:

why is the band arriving so late today?
blush.gif
Gee, that was sweet Sami!.....:hug:

:hmm: i don`t know if someone mentioned it before but could that black curtain not hanging there to kill the echo ? ( for a better sound ?)

Rono said:
:hmm: i don`t know if someone mentioned it before but could that black curtain not hanging there to kill the echo ? ( for a better sound ?)

well that didn't realy help to be honest:wink:

zwervers2 said:

well that didn't realy help to be honest:wink:

Whether they shoot a DVD or not, it would be stupid not to use it when it's there....it makes the stage look a lot better.

Don't really get the idea about a roof, though :huh: That roof is made of glass or plastic of some sort, the sun comes right through??? No reason to use that.....

ouizy said:
I think the screen is interesting as it isolates the stage, but it makes for a bit of a "fake" scenario.

Also - it confuses me as the point of the screen is that is is semi-transparent. This, I assume would make the screen more vivid when filmed.

I dunno - mixed thoughts on this - it is not really how the show goes, but oh well.
They haven't made it semi-transparent just to make you see the seats behind the stage of course... They have made it semi-transparent for the lighting effects behind the screen... The same with Popmart...

They don't use it only for this concert. It has been done this way at several other concerts in the past so it has nothing to do with a shoot or something I think. Sure it is a possibility that they shoot the DVD in Amsterdam but you can't say that because of the black curtain. It only looks better and not just a bit better...

Whitout the black curtain (Bon Jovi 2003) :

Untitled-2.jpg

With the black curtain (Phil Collins and Simon & Garfunkel, 2004):

Phil_Collins_19_June_2004_1.jpg

Simon_&_Garfunkel_21_July_2004_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom