Stop the Complaining and Deal!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
U2 has always pretty much stuck to same setlists JTT, ZooTV, PopMart..... Elevation spoiled us.... I think these setlists rule!!!

SMB

I wouldn't say Elevation spoiled us really either, as it was a fairly static set on the whole. It's just that U2 are very much creatures of habit - though this tour, they certainly have dug up some gems, such as Electric Co. and Gloria and Miss Sarajevo.

Axver said:
It's just that U2 are very much creatures of habit - though this tour, they certainly have dug up some gems, such as Electric Co. and Gloria and Miss Sarajevo.

Exactly! :yes:

Only in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would get to hear Electric Co, Gloria & The Ocean live in concert.

Believe me though, as much as I :heart: the rare ones, I would still rather hear a concert that the band was comfortable at, and they seem to get that way be getting the songs in order the way they want them and then they stick with it. It is a good formula for them.

If SD1 had been my only concert of this tour... well I don't even want to go there. Thankfully I got Phoenix 1 & 2 to make up for it. :wink:

Stop complaining about the complaining. This is a message board. As long as they're not attacking other members, people have a right to express their opinion even though that opinion may not agree with the majority. And they have the right to do so without others ordering them to 'deal'.

Zootomic said:
Stop complaining about the complaining. This is a message board. As long as they're not attacking other members, people have a right to express their opinion even though that opinion may not agree with the majority. And they have the right to do so without others ordering them to 'deal'.

:up:

@Dork:
greenshagcarpet.jpg

Zootomic said:
i understand what your saying, but do you not find it a little depressing when everytime you log on the forum is filled with pretty negative posts?

was looking back at an old thread from before the tour

a thread where people listed some songs that they wanted to be brought back from the 'dead'

electric co, gloria, an cat dubh, zoo station, 40 were listed fairly often. wild horses was listed once or twice too I think.

so all these songs come back, and people still whine. it gets old after awhile. usually u2 have had static setlists, ESPECIALLY WHEN they play only one gig in a city (see most of the european dates.) so of course the setlist is going to remain the same. they don't pick a random number of songs, they try to create a theme with the tour and a mood to the concert.

so i really don't understand all the constant negativity. people are going to try to find something to bitch about though, and you can't stop that. u2 are playing the shows for the sane people who see one show, not the insane like me who see many shows.

and as for the skipping zooropa completly, i dont see anybody bitching about popmarts setlist which featured no songs from zooropa.

StlElevation said:
was looking back at an old thread from before the tour

a thread where people listed some songs that they wanted to be brought back from the 'dead'

electric co, gloria, an cat dubh, zoo station, 40 were listed fairly often. wild horses was listed once or twice too I think.

so all these songs come back, and people still whine. it gets old after awhile. usually u2 have had static setlists, ESPECIALLY WHEN they play only one gig in a city (see most of the european dates.) so of course the setlist is going to remain the same. they don't pick a random number of songs, they try to create a theme with the tour and a mood to the concert.

so i really don't understand all the constant negativity. people are going to try to find something to bitch about though, and you can't stop that. u2 are playing the shows for the sane people who see one show, not the insane like me who see many shows.

and as for the skipping zooropa completly, i dont see anybody bitching about popmarts setlist which featured no songs from zooropa.
stop it people dont like defending of the band

StlElevation said:

Maybe that is because Popmart is of no immediate interest. Actually a lot of us, including the 4 members of U2 as it seems, just want to forget that that thing ever happened.

OMG :crack:
I had green shag carpet in my bedroom for the first 18 years of my life. The phrase "go to your room" meant an hour of staring at that carpet wondering what on earth the inventor of shag carpet was thinking.

Anyway, I try not to post in (or even read) these types of threads but I have to say the titles alone are getting just as old as the actual arguements. I suppose I shouldn't have replied. I'm only encouraging its exsistance...

U2Man said:

Maybe that is because Popmart is of no immediate interest. Actually a lot of us, including the 4 members of U2 as it seems, just want to forget that that thing ever happened.

Give me a break. If that were true no POP would have been played on Elevation either. So, NO, it doesnt seem, just from your little perspective. They are not playing any Zooropa or POP so far on this tour because they dont think those songs work in the setlist they have going right now. Its that simple. Zoo TV started out not playing ANY songs from U2's first three albums. So did that mean they wanted to forget that era even existed??!! NEXT

Blue Room said:

Give me a break. If that were true no POP would have been played on Elevation either. So, NO, it doesnt seem, just from your little perspective. They are not playing any Zooropa or POP so far on this tour because they dont think those songs work in the setlist they have going right now. Its that simple. Zoo TV started out not playing ANY songs from U2's first three albums. So did that mean they wanted to forget that era even existed??!! NEXT

I'm good at making you mad, am I not? Just try and keep the personal remarks away, right?

Couldn't U2 have changed their feelings about POP since the Elevation tour? Could it be that they felt that it might be easier to let go of POP, now that more time has passed? Could it be that since POP is several albums away now, they don't feel as obliged to play songs from the album anymore like they did before?

Let's look at your explanation then:

"They are not playing any Zooropa or POP so far on this tour because they dont think those songs work in the setlist they have going right now. Its that simple."

Have you heard that from the 4 members of U2? otherwise I wouldn't state that as cocksure as you just did. Don't you think U2 could have made room for just one song from POP somehow in a setlist of 24+ tracks in hundreds of cities around the world? Don't you think they would been able to somehow figure out a setlist in which a single song from POP would have fitted in nicely? I think you are underestimating them.

U2FanPeter said:
Should fans ignore the SEVEN direct quotes about changing the setlist since March?

u2fp
i never seen any offcial quote about them changing setlists

these quotes all came from people who "heard the radio station dj talking about talking to adam and how adam said this"

or the other "i seen bono outside the arena and he said they would change it up bla bla"

never once have i seen anything fron an OFFCIAL interview

U2Man said:

I'm good at making you mad, am I not? Just try and keep the personal remarks away, right?

Couldn't U2 have changed their feelings about POP since the Elevation tour? Could it be that they felt that it might be easier to let go of POP, now that more time has passed? Could it be that since POP is several albums away now, they don't feel as obliged to play songs from the album anymore like they did before?

Let's look at your explanation then:

"They are not playing any Zooropa or POP so far on this tour because they dont think those songs work in the setlist they have going right now. Its that simple."

Have you heard that from the 4 members of U2? otherwise I wouldn't state that as cocksure as you just did. Don't you think U2 could have made room for just one song from POP somehow in a setlist of 24+ tracks in hundreds of cities around the world? Don't you think they would been able to somehow figure out a setlist in which a single song from POP would have fitted in nicely? I think you are underestimating them.
whose to say they wont in the 3rd 4th or 5th leg of the tour? whos to say there not actually saving songs for these legs in order to keep it fresh?

for all we know, before the tour they may not have thought about the tour going on past a 3rd leg

KUEFC09U2 said:
whose to say they wont in the 3rd 4th or 5th leg of the tour? whos to say there not actually saving songs for these legs in order to keep it fresh?

for all we know, before the tour they may not have thought about the tour going on past a 3rd leg

No, whose to say?

The fact is, we cannot base our opinions and thoughts about what might happen in the future. We can only discuss what we've seen so far.

U2Man said:

No, whose to say?

The fact is, we cannot base our opinions and thoughts about what might happen in the future. We can only discuss what we've seen so far.
true, but some people are dismissing things right out of hand without even hearing ANYTHING from the band on what MIGHT happen, the europe set has changed to adapt to us europeans and stadium shows,

imo i wouldnt swap hearing 50.000 people singing along to ishfwilf or aiwiy for anything, thats some magical stuff going on just hearing everyone singing along, no matter how many times they have been played

KUEFC09U2 said:
i never seen any offcial quote about them changing setlists

these quotes all came from people who "heard the radio station dj talking about talking to adam and how adam said this"

or the other "i seen bono outside the arena and he said they would change it up bla bla"

never once have i seen anything fron an OFFCIAL interview

My count was 2 from Bono, 2 from Adam, 2 from Paul McG and one from Larry. Most from talks done in Boston and Chicago - were these officially aired or printed?

The week before the San Diego show Paul McG said in a Toronto Sun article "the boys are working on more than one setlist". This is where fans thought USA/Europe or back-to-back shows would have distinct setlists. Can fans truly be balmed for being misled?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

My count was 2 from Bono, 2 from Adam, 2 from Paul McG and one from Larry. Most from talks done in Boston and Chicago - were these officially aired or printed?

The week before the San Diego show Paul McG said in a Toronto Sun article "the boys are working on more than one setlist". This is where fans thought USA/Europe or back-to-back shows would have distinct setlists. Can fans truly be balmed for being misled?

u2fp
i seem to remember the one from paul mg, but i cant remember anything else being officaly aired

also by U2 standards the sets have been different from night to night, but we havent had so many double nights here in europe and when we have they have changed

U2FanPeter said:

u2fp

Which of the following wasn't a change of setlist?

- different closers/openers
- getting I will follow, Miss Sarajevo and All I want is you
- WOWY/I still haven't found... and Out of control are more frequently played than US
- dropping the slow Boy songs from the US
- a different version of Original of the species in Europe

U2girl said:

Which of the following wasn't a change of setlist?

- different closers/openers
- getting I will follow, Miss Sarajevo and All I want is you
- WOWY/I still haven't found... and Out of control are more frequently played than US
- dropping the slow Boy songs from the US
- a different version of Original of the species in Europe

Some multiple show cities only had 1-2 changes in songs. Or to put it another way, LESS than previous tours.

Also, many fans here think replacement songs are inferior to songs played earlier in the tour.

While 90% of fans only see one show a tour, keep in mind that a majority of european u2 fans have seen them on their past 4 Stadium tours playing similar material. Due to ticket prices, they would get more young fans in north America.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Some multiple show cities only had 1-2 changes in songs. Or to put it another way, LESS than previous tours.

Also, many fans here think replacement songs are inferior to songs played earlier in the tour.

While 90% of fans only see one show a tour, keep in mind that a majority of european u2 fans have seen them on their past 4 Stadium tours playing similar material. Due to ticket prices, they would get more young fans in north America.

u2fp
less than previous tour? you sure about that? go on to u2tours.com and check some setlists for both zootv and popmart, and it may suprise you that not only are they the same for different citys, but they are also largley the same every single night in multiple citys

KUEFC09U2 said:
less than previous tour? you sure about that? go on to u2tours.com and check some setlists for both zootv and popmart, and it may suprise you that not only are they the same for different citys, but they are also largley the same every single night in multiple citys

i dont think you understand

the 90's can't have problems, even if it had more static setlists than Vertigo tour which is what Vertigo gets critisized for.

Next tour people will be yearning for the good old days of Elevation and Vertigo when the setlists were fresh, much like ZooTV and POPMART. Because we know the next tour will suck too.

StlElevation said:

i dont think you understand

the 90's can't have problems, even if it had more static setlists than Vertigo tour which is what Vertigo gets critisized for.

Next tour people will be yearning for the good old days of Elevation and Vertigo when the setlists were fresh, much like ZooTV and POPMART. Because we know the next tour will suck too.
stop it, were nothing more than "blind followers" ZooTv although great, was the most ULTRA static setlist, but your right, no problems with the 90's

KUEFC09U2 said:

Some cities this tour only had about 2 changes between shows.

Elevation had more changes in some cities.

ZooTv sometimes had as many as 6 changes between multiple nights(ie: Vancouver) There is a picture in Pimm's book that says "setlist #3" on the Bstage.

Another problem with the Vertigo Tour is that some cities have had songs DROPPED with nothing replacing them.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Some cities this tour only had about 2 changes between shows.

Elevation had more changes in some cities.

ZooTv sometimes had as many as 6 changes between multiple nights(ie: Vancouver) There is a picture in Pimm's book that says "setlist #3" on the Bstage.

Another problem with the Vertigo Tour is that some cities have had songs DROPPED with nothing replacing them.

u2fp
as i just said, go and check U2tours.com 1st and 2nd leg of zoo, some never had ANY changes

oh and while your there check the elevation tours setlists for citys with only 2 shows

The indoor Zoo was a one-night-only 'barnstorming" tour with few multiple stands.

Indoor Zoo:

Tacoma - 4 additions to second night
Milan - 2-3 additions

Outdoor Zoo:

New Jersey - multiple changes, plus order re-arranging.
Most nights were 2-3 changes, sometimes 4 maybe 5 on special nights.

Rotterdam had about 3 changes a night over 3 nights
Rome had 3-4 changes(including Van Dieman's land)
Bologna had 3-4 changes
Glasgow had Multiple changes
London had decent rotation over 4 nights

Elevation:

Calgary - 3 additions
San Jose - multiple changes
Toronto - multiple changes
Montreal - multiple changes
Phili - multiple changes
DC - " "
NY - " "
NJ - " "