still camera vs. digital camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
this question has probably been asked before, but i can't find where.

from all the photos i've seen i'm guessing bringing a camera into the arenas hasn't been a problem on this tour.

i'm debating whether i should bring my digital camera to the shows, or disposable cameras.

I always take the disposable roat just in case. But, last week, I went into a concert for Green Day and put the camera in my back pocket. The "feel you up guy" put his hand right on my camera and didn't take it away. I was also front row and took lots of pics and the Event Staff was right in front of me.

SMB

dont only use a disposable!!!

ive used it for 2 concerts in a row and 0 pics have come out good

they suck majorly

in my experience, digital pics do not turn out as good. yes, you can take more, but action shots don't turn out. more than half of my floor pics of bono on the ellipse were blurry cuz he was moving. next time i go, i will be bring an old' fashioned camera. they turned out flawlessly for me on elevation tour.

Most of the time the reason photos come out blurry is usually user error and not the camera.
I am a professional photographer and photograph concerts on a regular basis with very high end Digital SLR's, however when I just "attend" the show and am not working them, I find a cheap point and shoot digital delivers some pretty good results.
Disposables are not anywhere as consistant.
My advice, if you want to get useable photos, learn your camera, and don't shoot in automatic mode! Bump your ISO as high as possible, shoot at 2.8, and set your shutter to at least 1/125. And turn off your flash!

I took were these with a small 4 megapixel point and shoot Canon digital at the one of the Denver shows.
http://community.webshots.com/album/328556492DjapRR

At every U2 show I've ever been to, the arena security say NO CAMERAS in the morning. (this is GA we're talking) Then later, after they meet and greet U2 security, they say CAMERAS ARE FINE. So take a digital and leave the disposable at home. I had both (just in case :wink: ) at Seattle and the disposable didn't work at all.

And bring a camera even if you're behind the stage. I decided not to bring mine to our behind-stage seats in Vancouver, but we were so close and when the light curtains are up, you've got a great view!

Fyi, when I tried my digital without a flash from the rail, it took blurry shots - those of B and A close up with flash turned out fine. So don't stress too much about modes like I did! Practice on Kings of Leon (isn't that what they're for?)

Chizip said:

they suck majorly
agreed. last concert i went to, i brought two disposables with me. i had about 10 good pics total. it sucks because even if there is a flash, there's no damn zoom! :rant:

Chizip said:

they suck majorly

I got my BEST pics with a disposable, and using one of those you don't have to worry about something happening to an expensive camera. It can get rough holding onto things down in the GA pit.

I've had very BAD luck with digitals, even for my home personal pics. They blur so easily if you don't hold it perfectly still, and at a concert, either the band member moves, or someone knocks your hand, and it messes up.

Listen to the earlier post from the pro. If you cant push the ISO to at least 400 on your digital camera wth a shutter speed of 1/125 or bette, you simply can't catch a moving person in relatively low light. Bono would have to be standing like a statue in front of you to nail the shot. And flashes aren't really gonna help the situation. You might get a few good shots, sure, but be realistic. They won't be all that great.

So shoot a few, thene put down the camera and watch the show. It is amazing how many people seem to be screwing around with a camera when the band is standing right there in front of them. Your memories are going to be far more vivid than that subpar picture you were trying to take.

bring a digital camera, or a regular one WITH zoom. Disposable pics come out horrible, the only time I'd bring one is if I'm real close up (GAs or really lower level).

Here's my question.....I have a Canon Rebel SLR. It does have a detachable lense however I just have the standard one and no telephoto lenses. Am I going to get hasseled for bringing a camera with a detachable lense in?

starsgoblue said:
Here's my question.....I have a Canon Rebel SLR. It does have a detachable lense however I just have the standard one and no telephoto lenses. Am I going to get hasseled for bringing a camera with a detachable lense in?

Yes, I think you will. I believe the policy specifically mentions no higher end stuff, and while the Rebel isn't real high dollar, they consider detachable as high end.

As for the disposible cameras, you need high speed film for low light. If you use 200 speed film you're dead. Try 800. Mine came out great, and I had to go the cheap route as mydigital camera was stolen from my house last month. (Entirely different story.)

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Are there 800 speed disposable cameras available? I assume only at camera shops eh? :crazy:

Starsgoblue,
Kodak sells not only 800 speed disposables, but even one with a zoom! Check out the Kodak website for details - you can probably get these at a Walgreen's, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. :)

Disposables suck, dont even bother unless you're in the front row.

Well, Im going Tuesday. Im going to bring my digital. I have an sport mode, so I can take pictures with the subject moving. I just have to figure out how to get it in.
I have seen disposable digital cameras at CVS.

Originally posted by tkramer

If you use 200 speed film you're dead.

You're absolutely right on that one !! I'm going to bring my
Minolta 35mm zoom camera. The lense will extend slightly over
an inch when I press the zoom button ... but otherwise it looks like a regular camera without any extension to it at all. I can also
get away with 400 speed film and end up with some awesome
photos ... Thank-you camera makers for zoom !! Now, I'm just hoping I can get it in the venue without getting caught !!
:camera:

starsgoblue said:
Are there 800 speed disposable cameras available? I assume only at camera shops eh? :crazy:

They're readily available (made by Kodak). I used them a couple of times last tour and got some shockingly great photos.

Your SLR will be a problem, even with the smallest lenses attached.

Hey guys, any digital camera that will let you take manual control will be 100% better than any disposable. Trust me. You just have to apply the basic principles of photography.

I have an Olympus Camedia C-50 Zoom camera. I tried using several different modes at first and found using auto mode WITH flash worked best for me. The problem with turning the flash off as you would think you would have to do, is that the shutter speed (or whatever you call it in digital cameras) comes out too slow and the pictures end up coming out blurry. The pics with flash sometimes had distorted color or light, but they came out amazing when the band was out on the ellipse.

Anyone know the camera policy for tonight? I'd like to call the UC but can't find the number on the website. I was thinking I'd pack my digicam w/ my tampons, hehe, and also bring a disposable as a decoy. What happens if they find the digicam and won't let me take it in?

Back
Top Bottom