Stage Layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celticfc

Acrobat
I got this from a Celtic website

"My Uncle is managing director of a steel fabrication company in Belgium. He's had the guy that designs U2's stages over to arrange the framework for the stage. Supposedly the basic layout is like a target, but with the audience standing inside. It's meant to be huge"

:hmm: Sounds interesting...but I wonder how they'd use something like that for both arenas and outdoors. It'd have to be huge for playing a stadium!

Perhaps a series of concentric circles with the band in the middle and the GA people filling in the gaps between the rings?

KentK said:
Perhaps a series of concentric circles with the band in the middle and the GA people filling in the gaps between the rings?

That would be a mistake, I think -- hard to keep people in the proper ring, probably make it hard to see.

What I'm thinking is that, based on the "target" theme, there's going to be a round center stage, with a path or two to an outside ring that Bono can wander around on ala the heart from Elevation. In between, GA.

Obviously, this would work a lot better in arenas, because I would think that a stadium would need more than just a stage. It would be awesome if they could do a completely different stage concept on a second NA leg -- outdoors!

knox said:

That would be a mistake, I think -- hard to keep people in the proper ring, probably make it hard to see.

What I'm thinking is that, based on the "target" theme, there's going to be a round center stage, with a path or two to an outside ring that Bono can wander around on ala the heart from Elevation. In between, GA.

Obviously, this would work a lot better in arenas, because I would think that a stadium would need more than just a stage. It would be awesome if they could do a completely different stage concept on a second NA leg -- outdoors!

that sounds about right to me

that would make tons of sense, seeing as how it's the theme of the cd

Its a target coming out from the stage into the crowd like the heart in Elevation.
Picture it. A circle versus a heart. the front part of the circle goes into the crowd. Inside being the pit. the back end sits on the stage with Larry in the inside back part of it. The other circle is inside this giant circle but the front part of it is barely coming out from the stage where bono would hang out. I think this part would be painted.

Though maybe the stage does not come out from the back but is right in the center of the arena. I have a design I did that maybe close to what they want to do. Anyone know how to post a jpeg?

Picture posting directions are here:
http://forum.interference.com/t89742.html
I know, it's Pleba, just read the first few posts in that thread and you should come out unscathed :D (j/k)

I'm thinking your idea, Artdirector, is an endstage setup? How about a little circular platform in the center of the pit area, forming the center of the target and acting as a b-stage?

3425595523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2339%3D85%3B%3D%3A35%3DXROQDF%3E2323689744488ot1lsi

It would not make any sense to have a curtain in your stage layout design. Clear Channel would want as many seats to be sold if its in the round. They could put up trusts, lights and sound in the center of the arena, with a trust connecting to the entrance going to the main power outlet at the arena.

This is fun. I'd so much rather do this than the things I'm supposed to be doing...
Here's a little sketch I did in Paint...
stage.jpg

Together, you guys have managed to draw exactly what was in my mind.

The one problem with the third design is that it would make it hard for fans to be near the stage; I don't think they want to do that. I think design 1 is the best one.

I'm hoping for design number 2 :)

Good job both of you guys.... or uh, girls or guy and girl LOL

artdirector said:
Its the back are. Usually its a curtain or wall...jeez haven't you noticed some arena have this.

Most Arena's will have seats all the way around. U2 will play to seats that would normally be behind the stage unless they are playing in a weak market town like Columbus, Kansas City, etc.

So there will be no curtain or wall.

There was a curtain at the last Elevation show in Miami, but almost all the cities will sell seats in back of the stage.

True. Some will have seats behind them, but to get to the stage theres a wall and an opening. Thats all this is. The curtain doesn't go all the way to the top. Its just the backstage area where the band hangs out. I personally don't think they will replace the heart with the spiral. Its too similar and they never repeat themselves. I think they will do design 2 where a ramp gets them to the center of the arena where they will jam.

Yeah I think design 2 work. There's a GA pit, and the band is surrounded by everyone. It will make it hard to do an encore though. Where will they go? HEHEHEHE. I also picture above them TV screens.

Target.....Center Stage! Exit Stage.....BELOW!!!

As far as the point about it being hard to do an encore with Design 2 maybe they would have the center of the target raised and then a small type of room below it or a stage that has a self raising/lowering floor that would allow them to come up from below after a rest and before their encore. Just a thought. I saw this same sort of idea/concept on Metallica's last tour.

Just heard from a friend of mine who is one the road with Barry Manilow (dont ask) said that the stage for U2 might be "revolving". He heard it from some people he knows who will be working with the tour.

I wonder what that means...revolving?

Back
Top Bottom