Spring/Summer 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFly40

The Fly
Any chance of U2 coming back to the USA in the spring/summer of 2006 to play stadium shows? The Zoo tour did go from March '92 to December '93...almost 2 years.

I think it's interesting that they would design and build a HUGE stadium production and use it for less then half the tour.

Currently they are scheduled to play approximately 30 shows in Europe. Based on past tours, even if they added Asia/Australia/South America it would probably only be another 15 or so shows.

Just a thought.

I doubt it really...

With Zoo-TV they did a indoor leg in Europe ánd the USA with after that a outdoor leg in Europe ánd the USA...

I think U2 doing another outdoor leg in the USA would only have made sense if they had also done a indoor leg in Europe...

Neilz said:
I doubt it really...

With Zoo-TV they did a indoor leg in Europe ánd the USA with after that a outdoor leg in Europe ánd the USA...

I think U2 doing another outdoor leg in the USA would only have made sense if they had also done a indoor leg in Europe...

this tour doesn't make full sense due to the last minute changes they had to make.

perhaps they planned all along to do arenas first, then stadiums... extending into 2006... but then had to switch things up at the last minute and everything got screwed up.

i agree with those who say it doesn't quite make sense to make such a huge elaborate outdoor stage for just one leg

Neilz said:
I doubt it really...

On top of that... U2 are men now...

With that I mean that they realize their home situation more and are wánt to spend more time with their family...

The days that they isolate themselves in Berlin or Miami to record an album and need to kick off after a big ass tour are over...

This is their biggest tour since Popmart the way it already is (2nd USA leg and probably gig's in Australia, South-America and Japan)... If they'de do a 3rd leg in the USA it would be their biggest since Zoo-TV... I doubt it...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i agree with those who say it doesn't quite make sense to make such a huge elaborate outdoor stage for just one leg

Too comment on that; This is not as huge and elaborate as a lot of people think... The Popmart stage for example was developed and owned by U2... So it was abvious that they'de use it on more shows then just Europe...

This stage is build from rental equipment from Bargo... So it isn't even property of U2, meaning that they won't make extra costs if they'de only do a European leg this way...

Last edited:
TheFly40 said:

I think it's interesting that they would design and build a HUGE stadium production and use it for less then half the tour.

Actualy more than half... European leg will have 2mln people/tickets... first US leg had just alittle bit over 500.000
3rd leg wont be that much bigger than the first to sell 1,5mln tickets.

...also, I don't think U2 are able to sell a stadium show in US...

Last edited:
Of course they can sell a stadium show.

You don't think they would sell out 2 shows in Boston/NYC>

They can't have 4 shows, but 1 or 2 in major markets for sure.

Once the Australian leg is finished I'd prefer them to finish off a new album and then tour. If they have as many ideas/songs left over from "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" as they say, why not spend a few months(or whatever it takes) and get it finished. I think if they extend this tour much longer, the wait for a new album could be a long one.

I would love it if they came back, as I might possibly be able to see them again (although if the prices are the same...:mad: )....however, they really need to go to Australia/NZ, and South and Central America. I'd also rather see them play some shows in Hong Kong, India, and other Asian countries, and maybe even (gasp) Africa before they came back to the US. We're spoiled.:|

Really though, I would love a second U2 show..:drool: :wink:

I agree that they won't do a stadium tour in the U.S. Larry said that the band lost money on the Zoo TV 'Outdoor broadcast' and that there were complications all along the way. 'Never again,' were I think his words. That they are doing stadiums in Europe has more to do with the fact that there aren't many good arenas in Europe...certainly not like there are here. The band is almost forced by default to play outdoor gigs in Europe.

I also agree that there are select markets that could do well with an outdoor U2 show, and aside from Chicago they are on the coasts. Here in Boston, we're jaded and could probably sell out Gillette Stadium twice. Same for New York and a handful of others. Is that enough to bankroll a stadium tour? I dunno. I do think that other regions of the world deserve to see this great band live.

Based on their current results of the Arena tour for the USA, 1st and 3rd legs U2 could easily play stadiums in these markets in North America:

Vancouver 1 show
Edmonton or Calgary 2 shows
Winnipeg (they did it on the "unpopular" POPMART) 1 show
Montreal 1 show
Toronto 2 shows

Boston 2 or 3 shows
New York City 4 shows
Philadelphia 2 shows
Washington DC 2 shows
Chicago 3 shows
Miami 1 show
Los Angeles 2 shows
San Francisco 1 show

Cities where one stadium show may be possible based on the current sellouts and rate of sellout.

Seattle
Phoenix
Denver
Dallas
Atlanta
Tampa
Detroit
San Diego

NHChris said:
I agree that they won't do a stadium tour in the U.S. Larry said that the band lost money on the Zoo TV 'Outdoor broadcast' and that there were complications all along the way. 'Never again,' were I think his words. That they are doing stadiums in Europe has more to do with the fact that there aren't many good arenas in Europe...certainly not like there are here. The band is almost forced by default to play outdoor gigs in Europe.

I also agree that there are select markets that could do well with an outdoor U2 show, and aside from Chicago they are on the coasts. Here in Boston, we're jaded and could probably sell out Gillette Stadium twice. Same for New York and a handful of others. Is that enough to bankroll a stadium tour? I dunno. I do think that other regions of the world deserve to see this great band live.

Larry said "never again" in reference to the planning and execution of the POPMART tour. U2 did make a profit from the outdoor legs of the ZOO TV tour although it may have not been a huge one. On POPMART, the band took home $100 million dollars despite the fact it was not nearly as well attendend as ZOO TV had been.

Given the rate of sellouts on this current tour in North American plus the number of shows per market, there are at least 21 cities in North America where U2 could play one or more stadium shows.

I could probably swing it to see them again. But I really want it to be in a stadium. :| Really.

A stadium tour is tough to pull off. Yes, there are markets where sellouts are just about assured (Boston, New York, Chicago, Philly). Once you get beyond the that, it is not as clear. Would the Georgia Dome or Sun Devil Stadium sellout? That's anyone's guess, but surely not more than one date.

Given that the band will have two legs of North American dates under their belts before any stadium tour will take place, the demand may not be as great among the casual fans. Sure the diehards will be in but will Average Joe want to go again? Another tough question.

Not many acts can pull off an all stadium tour. Springsteen and the E Street Band did a decent job back in '03 but some dates sold better than others. The Fenway show was 10x harder to get than his two dates down at The Razor in Foxboro. He had no problem selling out 45698 dates at Giants Stadium but those were special circumstances. Dave Matthews did it for a summer or two then went back to the arenas and ampitheaters. The rock gods need to be looking favorably on any act that embarks a successful, soldout stadium tour.

Super_Fan said:
Only New York, Boston, LA, and maybe Philly or D.C. can have a stadium show.

That's cool, since you are looking about, hell...45 million people in those metro areas?

I think they could do a stadium show in Texas, (only 2 shows for the tour so far) Florida, Toronto (yes..not the US..but still North America), and you forgot about Chicago.

STING2 said:
Based on their current results of the Arena tour for the USA, 1st and 3rd legs U2 could easily play stadiums in these markets in North America:

Vancouver 1 show
Edmonton or Calgary 2 shows
Winnipeg (they did it on the "unpopular" POPMART) 1 show
Montreal 1 show
Toronto 2 shows

Boston 2 or 3 shows
New York City 4 shows
Philadelphia 2 shows
Washington DC 2 shows
Chicago 3 shows
Miami 1 show
Los Angeles 2 shows
San Francisco 1 show

Cities where one stadium show may be possible based on the current sellouts and rate of sellout.

Seattle
Phoenix
Denver
Dallas
Atlanta
Tampa
Detroit
San Diego

agree, except for Seattle AND Vancouver? and San Diego is a reach with the size of their stadium and being in such proximity to LA. I think one of the largest NFL stadiums in America (if not the largest now that Veterans is no longer)

STING2 said:

New York City 4 shows

Where did you get this number?????
4 stadium shows????

U2 are playing 6 dates in NY on VertigoTour, that's 120,000 tickets...
I'm talking about "tickets" not "people" because most of the people will see all 6 shows, very few will see only one show.
...120,000 that's 2 stadium shows (notice it means the same number of "tickets", but bigger number of "people")... where did you get 4??

I can't believe my eyes when I read all of this! U2 won't do a third USA stadium leg!

That they could sell out some stadium doesn't mean that U2 are going to do stadiums?

In Europe they would also easily have sold out a indoor ánd a outdoor leg... All the stadium gigs are sold out!

3 legs in de USA is history! They wild days are over friends...

And to come back to the argument why U2 would 'build' (I prefer calling it 'rent') a large stadium stage for only one leg? The same thing can be said about the LED curtains... Why don't they use them in Europe? BECAUSE IT IS ALL RENTED!

So the argument that they wouldn't build this huge stage for only one leg is also nonsense...

Last edited:
Man, no disrespect intended, but America really doesn't need a third leg for this tour, you've been spoiled already with two.

Asia, South America, Austrailia and NZ haven't even had a look in. Yes, I know it was only Arena's but that's really not an excuse, count yourself lucky with what you've got. If they do, they really should be giving the rest of the world an equal look in.

Lo-Fi said:
Man, no disrespect intended, but America really doesn't need a third leg for this tour, you've been spoiled already with two.

Asia, South America, Austrailia and NZ haven't even had a look in. Yes, I know it was only Arena's but that's really not an excuse, count yourself lucky with what you've got. If they do, they really should be giving the rest of the world an equal look in.
Totally agree... How arrogant and selfish to wish (or some demand) a third stadium leg in the states!

Ever since Zoo-TV they haven't done three legs in the States anymore, and even back then they did 2 legs in Europe aswell... So even IF U2 would do a third leg in the States, they are forced really, to do a second leg in Europe too!

And that won't happen! The guys are older now, familymen! The crazy Zoo-TV days are over... I even think the extra dates outside Europe and the USA are not wat U2 really wanted but are obliged to do... This IS U2's biggest tour since Popmart already!

Last edited:
My guess for the 4th leg would be South America - EASTERN EUROPE - Australia - New Zealand - Japan. All stadiums.

Playing an outdoor leg in the States might make sence from commercial point of view, but on the other hand this would mean sacrificing some shows in the above mentioned parts of the world. And this will really piss off A LOT of fans, because some of them haven't seen U2 for ages and some have never seen them at all.

Lets face it - anyone who REALLY wants to see U2 will see them on this tour North America or Europe. The demand will have been met by the time the 3rd leg is over.

In Europe it is barely sold out - tickets are being released every day for most shows, and ebay prices are struggling to reach face value. Only the Dublin shows (where it seems there will be more Americans than Irish!) and a couple others are still in high demand.

The outdoor setup might go to Australia, South America etc for a few shows next year and thats it - tour over.

Eastern Europe don't get stadium shows cos there arent enough people who can afford to pay 60 euros minimum to get in. simple. and U2 go on tour to make money. Put on a show in Poland and one in Vienna and the hardcore from further east will get there if they want.

Looking at the photos from 1st leg I was jealous of you guys getting the indoor shows. whats the big deal about standing on a football pitch looking at a light show? i doubt we will see anything we havent before.

i wish we had american style arenas in europe, although i think paul mcguinness had a flash of the euro signs in his eyes

I personally think U2 really wánted to play stadium's all over the world... Only U2 doesn't like playing stadium's in the USA because over there, GA is not allowed on the pitch!

Bono once said during the 2nd USA Popmart leg that "He was sick and tired of smelling the popcorn in the front rows", refering to the rich people buying the expensive front row tickets for their families friday night out...

Tháts the reason U2 played indoors in the USA... GA is allowed in the arena's since the Elevation Tour...

WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET OFF!!!! :mad:

What is it about Americans thinking they are ENTITLED to another leg????? It's enough that the US uses ONE QUARTER of the world's energy to sustain not even 300 million people, it's an outrage that the US dragged my country into a war in Iraq where we had no reason to be there, now you morons want U2 to go back again.

What is it, the rest of the world owes the US a living? If you're not bloody satisfied with the huge number of dates that U2 are playing this year, and so many fans are going to multiple dates, which many other fans in the rest of the world can't do, then perhaps you need to grow up and start using your brains as something other than a ear divider.

Go on, flame away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom