Song Wars!: The Fly (Elevation Tour) vs. The Fly (Vertigo Tour)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Alright guys. Back in 2001 the guys finally brought The Fly out of retirement after the ZooTV tour almost a decade earlier. On Elevation they really did a damn fine job re-vamping the song, and Edge's gutiar was really really hot, it was literally on fire! They're still doing it this time around, thank God, but this time around it sounds much more like the ZooTV versions, but with a new beat from Larry, a new bassline by Adam, a great new intro from Edge, and amazing Bono vocals for the chorus. But which version is better?

To be honest, I can't really say; it's pretty much a tie. The Fly from the Boston DVD really got me 100% hooked onto U2 (it was the first song off Actung Baby I had seen/heard, and I was blown away!). But the new beat and vocals on this tour are so damn good, and they brought back the subliminal messages! I can't decide; maybe a mix of the Elevation slow intro/guitar and the Vertigo new drum beat/vocals?. . .

:drool:

Vertigo beats the shit out of Elevation versions. The Vertigo Fly is the essential version of the song.

Vertigo Tour version could be really great, but it is damn hard for Bono to learn the lyrics to that song this time hehe. Sometimes he even causes the rest of the band to almost loose it. (phoenix 2). However, the version from San Jose 2 is awesome, and I really like the new drum beat. So I would say vertigo is better.

Vertigo version wins, in my book. Edge's guitar just rocks so hard...

though i have to say, i wish bono was doing his running around the ellipse thing like he did on Elevation tour... biting hands, etc etc...

but Vertigo version is just ... :drool: :rockon:

Cask said:
Vertigo Tour version could be really great, but it is damn hard for Bono to learn the lyrics to that song this time hehe. Sometimes he even causes the rest of the band to almost loose it. (phoenix 2). However, the version from San Jose 2 is awesome, and I really like the new drum beat. So I would say vertigo is better.

What about Anheim 2? What about Anheim 2? :drool: :drool: :drool: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

loved the ending.

Why, Zoo TV is the clear winner of course! :wink:

But since that's not an option I have to say Vertigo, hands down. The Elevation version sapped the song of all its raw power, I always thought. It's my least favorite part of the Boston DVD. I'm so glad to hear this song once again being played as it should be.

vertigo, although i do actually like the elevation version, just think the intro to the new one sets it off good style

Vertigo version, only because its an attempt to try to be as good as the ZooTV version.

I prefer the Joshua Tree version.:wink:

Actually, I can't decide between the two. They are both so good. I think Vertigo gets back to what the song originally was, but the Elevation version is so tight. The Vertigo and Zoo version can get away from them and are almost supposed to. The Elevation version was more refined. I see them as two different songs. It's nice to hear it both ways.

Vertigo Tour version, and yes Bono has got the lyrics right in recent shows.

I don't know, the Elevation version seems to be better to me. Maybe it's the sound quality but the Elevation version seemed a lot more powerful. The ground probably shook in all those arenas they played it at.

both were great in their own right. the elevation version's change of key and more 'inspirational' like feel not only gave the song a new life, but made it truly memorable. the vertigo (and guess Zoo) version is great to it's loyalty to the album version in it's own right, though.

despite this, I'd probably say Zoo/Vertigo, just because I love the album version that much.

I went and listened to all 4 versions (including the album) on my lunch break (I love iPods), and here's my humble analysis.

The Zoo and Vertigo versions are closer to the album versions in terms of key and song structure, but the Elevation version is closer in terms of guitar processing. This is especially noticeable in the Vertigo version. The solo sounds a lot less processed (i.e. less effects) than the album and Elevation version. In some ways, there's a true hollowness in the Vertigo version (probably emphasized by the fact it is being played on an acoustic guitar). The Elevation version was played on the beautiful Les Paul Custom and that gave the notes so much more sustain and breadth. The Zoo version played on a Stat had a much more classic rock feel, quick and heavy. I have no idea what guitar he used in the studio and it sounds different than all the ones he's used live so far. He probably used a combination of guitars in recording that song b/c there are so many sounds in there. IMHO, the album version is still the best to date, but SJ2 Vertigo version gives it a run for it's money only because Edge was playing it 5 feet in front of me!!! :rockon:

before the vertigo tour i had not seen u2 since zootv....when i was like 10 years old....so i relied on the boston dvd and slane castle dvd to show me what u2 was all about. I fell in love with The Fly from elevation. The intro from boston gave me goosebumps. It was in fact my favorite version. But now having seen the vertigo tour 10 times so far i would have to say that i like it better even though i miss the intro and im sad i never got to see it firsthand.:sad:

I see the different versions as almost completely different songs. I do think the Elevation version is the best version of the song though.

Vertigo Tour version-- I personally think that Bono doesn't sound too great singing the song in the lower key--he just doesn't have the depth to his voice anymore. I do love the the intro, very cool.

Elevation Tour-- The higher key fits Bono's vocals much better IMO. The guitar sounds much meaner. The slow intro, the vwoooosh sound into a hard rockin tune is awesome. I like how Edges guitar is a lot meatier than the funky sound of Vertigo/ZooTV versions. Also, Bono's theatrics really added to the song--something he can't do in the new version cuz he's got a guitar strapped to him.

I would love to hear the new arrangement in the same key as Elevation Fly though...that would be freakin awesome.

Something must have been stuck in all your ears when you listened to the Vertigo version. ELEVATION RULES! The falsetto part at the beginning before the first verse was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

unosdostres14 said:
Something must have been stuck in all your ears when you listened to the Vertigo version. ELEVATION RULES! The falsetto part at the beginning before the first verse was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Then again, some of us were actually AT a Vertigo show.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I don't know, the Elevation version seems to be better to me. Maybe it's the sound quality but the Elevation version seemed a lot more powerful. The ground probably shook in all those arenas they played it at.

You're kidding right? The Elevation version was cleaner sounding, which doesn't have to be a bad thing, but the Vertigo version is more powerful. I don't see how anyone can see the Elevation version being more "powerful."

Back
Top Bottom