someone is selling my pictures on ebay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two shots

Acrobat
Hey, I can't believe it.

I have been to the cardiff gig and have afterwards thought it would be nice to share some of my pics. So I loaded them up on u2tour.com (sorry, can't upload here).

I just noticed that one of my picture is used by someone on ebay to advertise "his" set of pictures. I can't believe it. Check it out on:http://cgi. ebay .co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1421&item=7531863114&rd=1

I can easily identify this as the array speaker is right in front of larry (that sucked a little), but otherwise we had a perfect view

Any advice??

Did that happen to anyone else as well?
grrrr. :rant:

Mods: if this is in the wrong section, please move

Check it out now - I have asked hi a question and he claims that he has taken all the pictures himself and he said yes.

I know told him that I'd ask him to remove my picture from the auction. If he does not reply to me on that, I will use Sicy's (thanks!!) method to report him tomorrow.

lets see what happens, I keep you guys posted.

Just probably gonna start watermarking all my pictures from now on.

Wow, that's scary. Gosh, what people would do for money. :tsk:

Speaking of watermarking, how does one do that? I think I need to do that too.

Don't know how to do watermarks yet, but will have to figure that out.

just gotten two replies from this guy:

here we go:

Q: Have you taken the pictures? Where are they coming from?
A: Yes i took the pictures with my kodak digital camera at the gig. The pictures are are top quality they will be printed to order by truprint this is so there is little waste and u get the best at a good price. I have stored them on my computer rejected any of poor quality so u only get the best good who ever win the auction....many thanks Mr howells..

Q2: Thanks for the info. Its just that I can identify the picture you have put up on the site as one of mine, actually, and this was on u2tours. Can you remove that one please?
Thanks

A: actually..... I had several people taking pics around the stadium at cardiff and manchester who sold me they pics so sorry i positive its not yours...well certain infact unless u were one of them that is....p.s u aint the only one with a camera.

Q3: There were lots of people there with cameras, True. But isn't it odd that this picture has cropped exactly like mine? its the big speaker in front of the drumkit, the lines above and the way it cut through the door on the left. Sorry, whoever has given you that picture has not given you the original.

A: whether or not he has given me the original or not i havent got the time to sit here exchanging abuse. i only using it for advertising anyway as you know i wouldnt advertise the pics im selling as they would copy them themselves without purchasing.

Well, I don't think I was abusive at all! So I guess he is saying that the picture I took is not included in the item?

HM. just be careful with your pics, everyone.

Watermarking is easy, you just take the picture into Photoshop or similar program and 'write' on it. However, removing watermarks is almost as easy.

If he could write proper English, it would be easier to figure out what he's talking about! Anyway, it *sounds* like he's selling his and possibly using yours (the one posted on the acution?) just to advertise the auction. Hopefully this is the case. I do know that some pics can look the same but not be the same. There was a girl standing next to me in Chicago using the same model of camera as me and one of her pics looks so much like mine it took a while for me to figure out who it belongs to :huh:

Exhibit A:

Mine (there are many others from the same sequence)...
photo50.jpg

Romy's (looks just like the rest of mine from this sequence)...
photo43.jpg

Last edited:
two shots said:

Q: Have you taken the pictures? Where are they coming from?
A: Yes i took the pictures with my kodak digital camera at the gig.

A: actually..... I had several people taking pics around the stadium at cardiff and manchester who sold me they pics

So, which is it, buddy? He can't even get his own story straight!

Well, I just hope he is a little scared. Guess thats all I can do, really.

At least he should be able to know which picture comes from which show. It sounds dodgy to me.

good luck two s! ........

Visual property control IS extra imporTanT {artist & photographer myself} in these newer [vs previous visual arts history :D] days of The Net! I learned my copyrights info pre-net, and work on keeping up with the latest.

and THANKS Sicy for the watermarking info :up: :yes:!!! Probably need it in the future for my own photos and art.

that sucks that people do that. But the only way to guarantee against it is to not put up anything you wouldn't want stolen. IMHO, watermarks are tacky and easily removed by anyone with editing skills. Perhaps do like the running race photo sites that sell pix to racers....put up crap res thumbnails or smaller versions, and only send hi-res to people you trust.

Sicy said:
Watermarking is easy, you just take the picture into Photoshop or similar program and 'write' on it. However, removing watermarks is almost as easy.

Thanks. :wave:

All I need now is the motivation. :reject:

I know it's not photo related, but the other things that's really pissing me off at the moment is people selling vertigo concerts on ebay that have clearly been downloaded from fan sites.

I have no problem with paying good money for a pressed original, but when i see people making money out of fan's hard work when they've been unselfishness in sharing them, it makes me mad.

:mad:

If all else fails, post your pics for a lower price on ebay (like 1 cent or something). Nobody will buy his if yours are the same and virtually for free. Not to mention that you can post only one and advertise in that posting that you have free pics somewhere else and provide the link.

Jon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom