So who else bought the U2/Pearl Jam Poster? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
New Yorker
 
u2wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clinton, NY
Posts: 2,629
Local Time: 11:26 PM
So who else bought the U2/Pearl Jam Poster?

First of all, I'm a bit disappointed that no one here (including myself) knew about the Pearl Jam poster scene and that it would be advantageous to snag one at the show if possible. For those of you who still don't know, Pearl Jam commissions a unique poster for each one of their shows and they are printed in limited runs of about 1000, some are even signed and numbered in even fewer numbers by the artist. In the PJ scene, they are fairly collectible and actually look pretty damn cool.

Well, the U2/Pearl Jam show was no exception and an artist, Brad Klausen, created a special poster just for the 12/9 show. The poster was also special because the company that printed it used a color process that used a few more colors than normal so it was supposedly more expensive to make. At the show I think they were selling for $35. As many have read on the forum here, these were an instant sell out and quickly appeared on eBay selling for 5x, 10x, 15x their original value. If someone bought 3-5 of these posters at the show for $150, they could have easily recovered most, if not all, travel expenses and had a realllly cheap trip to Hawaii.

So did anyone snag one of these at the show? Did anyone get one on eBay? I think these will be a decent investment due to the limited numbers and significance of the show.

Considering the visual artistry that goes into your average U2 show/video, I think it'd be pretty cool to have a poster for each U2 gig next tour. Whaddya think?

__________________

u2wedge is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 03:26 AM
I've known about the poster since they put a bunch of them on the inside cover of their 1998 live album. There's many nice posters featuring, but also some ugly ones designed by the bassplayers brother. I think the Hawaii poster is extremely nice, design wise - even if U2 might never have used surfboards in their life

I posted the Hawaii poster in the Setlist thread here at interference - which I linked from some fan over at PJ.com.

IIRC, at the Hawaii show the posters were limited to one per person - but could be aquired through more than one transaction at the merch booth.

As a poster collector, I'm surprised at the lack commissioned art(not a generic u2 promo photo and album font) for authentic U2 concert posters. I think there is only 3-4 I can think of from their career(Denver 1997, 2001 and Germany 1997???)

I think we will see the U2/PJ hawaii poster available for under $100 in a couple months. The first dozen usually go on EBAY for stupic money and then the market re-adjusts itself.

u2fp
__________________

U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 11:26 PM
I didn't get any merchandise b/c they never sold it until almost right before the show started and at that point it was WAY to busy or sold out.

Other shows I went to, they sold stuff by the GA lines all afternoon. I'm not sure why they didn't capitalize on the huge line in Hawaii.
Liesje is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
New Yorker
 
u2wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clinton, NY
Posts: 2,629
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
I've known about the poster since they put a bunch of them on the inside cover of their 1998 live album. There's many nice posters featuring, but also some ugly ones designed by the bassplayers brother. I think the Hawaii poster is extremely nice, design wise - even if U2 might never have used surfboards in their life

I posted the Hawaii poster in the Setlist thread here at interference - which I linked from some fan over at PJ.com.

IIRC, at the Hawaii show the posters were limited to one per person - but could be aquired through more than one transaction at the merch booth.

As a poster collector, I'm surprised at the lack commissioned art(not a generic u2 promo photo and album font) for authentic U2 concert posters. I think there is only 3-4 I can think of from their career(Denver 1997, 2001 and Germany 1997???)

I think we will see the U2/PJ hawaii poster available for under $100 in a couple months. The first dozen usually go on EBAY for stupic money and then the market re-adjusts itself.

u2fp
fyi, I know of 3 individuals via my scans of eBay sales who bought more than 5 posters at once at the venue booths, so I think the 1 poster per person rule was arbitrary at best and certainly explains why they sold out even more quickly than they might otherwise have.

But the point I was trying to make was that this was THE item to get IMHO as it was really a piece of art, so to speak, and I don't recall anyone talking about it here in the forum. And there probably won't be a next time as this was a Pearl Jam exclusive.
u2wedge is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 03:26 AM
A U2.com reprinting would be a great idea. Possibly witha colour variation so those with the first pressing keep their exclusivity.

The version I saw from PJ.com looked like it had white paper and the one posted in this thread looks beige.

Have U2 ever done other posters? There's a Bob Masse(bmasse.com) one from Denver 2001.

u2fp
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
New Yorker
 
u2wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clinton, NY
Posts: 2,629
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
A U2.com reprinting would be a great idea. Possibly witha colour variation so those with the first pressing keep their exclusivity.

The version I saw from PJ.com looked like it had white paper and the one posted in this thread looks beige.

Have U2 ever done other posters? There's a Bob Masse(bmasse.com) one from Denver 2001.

u2fp
there are two Hawaii posters for Pearl Jam.. one from their 12/2 show which is white and the 12/9 which is on lunch bag brown stock.
u2wedge is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2wedge


there are two Hawaii posters for Pearl Jam.. one from their 12/2 show which is white and the 12/9 which is on lunch bag brown stock.
Do they both list U2?

http://www.bmasse.com/2001.htm Which clicks larger is the only other authentic U2 concert poster I can remember seeing.
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,038
Local Time: 11:26 PM
I waited in line for an hour for t-shirts and I probably would've bought a poster too, but the guy in front of me bought the last one (the display). I had to get back to my spot so I didn't bother to look for another kiosk. I wish I had been able to get one, though.

Trying to hold a poster in GA would've been a big hassle anyway. I was annoyed enough with my t-shirt bag.
mads is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
New Yorker
 
u2wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clinton, NY
Posts: 2,629
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


Do they both list U2?

http://www.bmasse.com/2001.htm Which clicks larger is the only other authentic U2 concert poster I can remember seeing.
No, U2 is only on the one where U2 played...

Here's the 12/2:



and here's a larger version of the 12/9

u2wedge is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nurse chrissi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,314
Local Time: 09:26 PM
I got one. I'm just waiting for my bank account to recover from the trip to get it framed. When I saw how much they were going for on ebay I briefly considered selling but I just can't part with it
nurse chrissi is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 03:26 AM
The Pearl Jam Sept 2005(second night) with Bono cameo concert poster is currently in the $88 range.

One interesting phenomenon with trading posters is the horizontal posters are frequently tough sellers. They eat up wall space if framed. Keep this in mind.

u2fp
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
New Yorker
 
u2wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clinton, NY
Posts: 2,629
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nurse chrissi
I got one. I'm just waiting for my bank account to recover from the trip to get it framed. When I saw how much they were going for on ebay I briefly considered selling but I just can't part with it
when you get it framed please post a pic of it! would love to see how it turns out.
u2wedge is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Fan & Taper
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,265
Local Time: 08:26 PM
I will be selling one of my shirts this weekend to be able to purchase the poster.
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 01-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
The Fly
 
sonicsmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 128
Local Time: 03:26 AM
Poster

I bought 1 poster, tried to buy 2 though the girl behind the counter would not let me - she stuck to the 1 per person rule. I got my stuff early - pretty much 40 min. after I secured my spot on the floor. I do plan to frame the poster w/ a thick black trim, and put it on my room wall w/ my other U2 poster from the Elevation tour. Yes, it was a pain to baby the poster in the GA area w/ drinks and jumping ppl, and hold on the plane ride home to Washington DC - Not bc I thought it was worth a ton of money - only cuz I can be anal. =D
sonicsmurf is offline  
Old 01-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
The Fly
 
sonicsmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 128
Local Time: 03:26 AM
Also, will get it framed when my bank acct recovers. =)
sonicsmurf is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #16
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 856
Local Time: 04:26 AM
I knew if Pearl Jam put out a poster for the U2/Pearl Jam gig that it would be worth alot. I got mine after getting my spot on the railing. The longer you wait on purchasing this poster, the value will build up for this poster. You wait 10 years the poster could be worth $800 to $1200. The Rolling Stones and Pearl Jam poster from 1997 Oakland Bridges to Babylon is worth $600 and hard to obtain.
Super_Fan is offline  
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,052
Local Time: 10:26 PM
Of course when 10club sells the poster on the site, the re-sell value may drop.
It should hold decent value, but in the long run it won't rival an Emek Charlotte 96, or even this(last) year's Klausen DC.

Nice to see U2 fans considering scalping posters to Pearl Jam fans to cover their travel expenses...we're one....
Hewson is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
New Yorker
 
u2wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clinton, NY
Posts: 2,629
Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Of course when 10club sells the poster on the site, the re-sell value may drop.
It should hold decent value, but in the long run it won't rival an Emek Charlotte 96, or even this(last) year's Klausen DC.

Nice to see U2 fans considering scalping posters to Pearl Jam fans to cover their travel expenses...we're one....
still rising...

Even with the 10club sales, this will be fairly limited.

Hope it's not like the MSG t-shirts, though.

and Hewson, if anyone's scalping anything to anyone, it's PJ fans selling these to the U2 fans who knew nothing about them.
u2wedge is offline  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 856
Local Time: 04:26 AM
You forgot that Klausen the designer will have 100 posters to sell numbered and signed by him.
Super_Fan is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,052
Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2wedge




Even with the 10club sales, this will be fairly limited.

Well, they'll be as limited as all the other recent posters, there'll just be a stronger demand for this one cause its a good looking one, like the DC and Toronto dragons, as opposed to say the Chicago 1 Ames or SF3.
__________________

Hewson is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×