So We Begin Again....The Brussels Setlist Party Part Uno!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NSW, in my opinion, Fox's national sports report would never have gotten the ratings of "SportsCenter" because at the time, cable subscribers had to pay extra to get Fox Sports Net programming. (At least they did with Cablevision on Long Island.)

I love Olbermann's work on MSNBC, and think he should stick to the news. But I don't watch "Countdown", or any news program really these days, because hearing about what's doing in DC gets me very down...

No spoken words said:

Yeah, I work in programming for FSN's national office. Olbermann's era here was interesting. We paid a lot of $$$ to pry him away from ESPN, along with Chris Myers. It did not really translate into better ratings for our National News, which is now defunct, we only do Regional News now. He was.....from what I've heard....difficult to work with.

Dalton, what the hell is FSW??? FOX Sports World? FOX Sports West? FOX Sports Wilmington?

FSW is Fox Sports World BIatch!!:wink:

alison0313 said:
I thought they were the black sox :p

Heh. During the 1990s, they had an ad campaign with the slogan "Good Guys Wear Black", which I always found amusing.

By the way, Greg Maddux just recorded the first strikeout by a Cubs pitcher against the Red Sox since 1918.

knox said:

Heh. During the 1990s, they had an ad campaign with the slogan "Good Guys Wear Black", which I always found amusing.

By the way, Greg Maddux just recorded the first strikeout by a Cubs pitcher against the Red Sox since 1918.

this is probably the only time id ever root for the red sox

and i still feel dirty doing it

Diane L said:
NSW, in my opinion, Fox's national sports report would never have gotten the ratings of "SportsCenter" because at the time, cable subscribers had to pay extra to get Fox Sports Net programming. (At least they did with Cablevision on Long Island.)

I love Olbermann's work on MSNBC, and think he should stick to the news. But I don't watch "Countdown", or any news program really these days, because hearing about what's doing in DC gets me very down...

NY was one of the few places at the time that had FSN on a tier, we were fully penetrated around 1998, so that was not the issue.

The issues were that ESPN's SportsCenter was a name brand by then, people were used to watching, and they were really good, then, at what they did. Also, we were never able to deliver consistency with the scheduling of the NSR, due to our unique set-up. It was a daunting task, and we failed.

The time to attack them would be now, actually....their ratings are slipping a bit, they can be had...too much smarm and sponsored elements, not enough actual highlights.

If you can read French (which I can read some), U2achtung.com looks like they are updating too, but it might be in their forum - that's where I got my play-by-play for the Euro Elevation shows. :)

Comcast Sports Net is gonna take over the country. Theyre already in the process.

Dalton said:

Damn you Chzip. That was gonna be about 4-5 pages worth of fun for me.

Sorry Knox:wink:

Ruined the fun for me, too. I was going to enjoy spending a lot of time railing against Comi...er, U.S. Cellular Field. :(

Chizip said:

this is probably the only time id ever root for the red sox

and i still feel dirty doing it

Imagine being me in 1986. 15 years old, the height of my fanaticism over sports. Yankee fan for life, they've not been in the playoffs since I was 9. The Mets and Red Sox meet in the World Series. What to do? Who to root for? It was hard, but I ended up pulling for the Mets. That sucked. That's who was fucked....not North America, not Europe. 1986's version of No Spoken Words was fucked.

NSW, I haven't watched "SportsCenter" in a long, LONG time. It figures Cablevision would put Fox on a tier when few others did. The Dolans...grrr...!

Come to think of it, I haven't really watched TV in general lately. Although I cannot WAIT for the Bobby Brown reality series on Bravo later this month...talk about a train wreck...!

No spoken words said:

NY was one of the few places at the time that had FSN on a tier, we were fully penetrated around 1998, so that was not the issue.

The issues were that ESPN's SportsCenter was a name brand by then, people were used to watching, and they were really good, then, at what they did. Also, we were never able to deliver consistency with the scheduling of the NSR, due to our unique set-up. It was a daunting task, and we failed.

The time to attack them would be now, actually....their ratings are slipping a bit, they can be had...too much smarm and sponsored elements, not enough actual highlights.

:yes:

sportscenter and espn in general is starting to turn into mtv when it forgot music was what it was supposed to be about

jbj said:
Comcast Sports Net is gonna take over the country. Theyre already in the process.

CSN is a juggernaut, agreed. They are launching RSN's in cities where they do not even have any pro team deals. They are very aggressive. But, the odds are they will make a larger deal with Rainbow or FSN, because FSN has so many pro teams locked up for the long term. The next 2 years or so will be very interesting in regards to the cable-sports TV landscape.

jbj said:

God, I hope not. Comcast Sports Network sucks the big one. They still get players' names wrong on their in-game graphics, often their statistics as well. A couple weeks ago, a Sox-Angels game ran late, and instead of cutting directly over to the Cubs-Dodgers game in progress (which had started fifteen minutes before), they cut to a full set of commercials, then BACK to the Sox-Angels game for a leisurely postgame wrap-up, before finally getting to the Cubs-Dodgers at the end of the second inning.

Then, against the Blue Jays earlier this week, the Cubs were down by two with Lee at the plate in the bottom of the ninth, when the screen suddenly went a bright shade of purple, and remained that way until well after the end of the game.

I'm not the biggest fan of Fox Sports because they siphoned so many games off of WGN, but at least they did the production properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom