so ok, taking everyones comments and opinions,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no, i don't see how it could be deemed a failure. they've sold out every show, and gotten mostly glowing reviews from the media. fan opinions are largely positive, though some think it doesn't compare to elevation.

i, for one, think it's a great show. it's not Zoo TV, but then again, nothing will ever match the spectacle and vision of that tour. it's much better than Popmart, in my opinion. to me, Popmart was lacking something... i can't put my finger on it. in some ways, i prefer Elevation- i think what i miss most about that tour is the novelty of GA, and the community that was formed while waiting in line for the show. yet i like the 'whole package' of Vertigo better- it's more theatrical, better lighting... i also love the old songs (Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Gloria, etc). and the Zoo Set is fantastic. it's probably a tie between Elevation and Vertigo for me.

the Vertigo tour is a success. it might not be U2's best tour, but it's far from their worst.

*Ally* said:
no, i don't see how it could be deemed a failure. they've sold out every show, and gotten mostly glowing reviews from the media. fan opinions are largely positive, though some think it doesn't compare to elevation.

i, for one, think it's a great show. it's not Zoo TV, but then again, nothing will ever match the spectacle and vision of that tour. it's much better than Popmart, in my opinion. to me, Popmart was lacking something... i can't put my finger on it. in some ways, i prefer Elevation- i think what i miss most about that tour is the novelty of GA, and the community that was formed while waiting in line for the show. yet i like the 'whole package' of Vertigo better- it's more theatrical, better lighting... i also love the old songs (Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Gloria, etc). and the Zoo Set is fantastic. it's probably a tie between Elevation and Vertigo for me.

the Vertigo tour is a success. it might not be U2's best tour, but it's far from their worst.
but can you really judge that its not there best? considering we have only just reached the end of leg 1, and now they are moving into the stadiums?
then back to the U.S. and beyond? this is my whole point, there is still ALOT of time left were this tour could just become the best

well, "best" is such a subjective term... one person's best is not another's. for me, U2's "best" tour will always be Zoo TV. i was just blown away by what i saw, Achtung Baby is by far my favorite album, and just felt like the band had reached its zenith. that being said, people will surely disagree! so, yeah, to some people, Vertigo may be U2's 'best' tour yet. but for me, it's not- though that doesn't mean i don't enjoy it (i surely do!).

I don't think this leg of the tour has been a failure - in fact the fact that there was even a tour should make it a success. No one real knows the full story (nor should we) but considering the personal issues, the postponement of the start of the tour, rescheduling of all of the dates, the infamous ticket nastiness, lack of rehearsal time, and various other engagements for the band and Bono....I think u2/the vertigo crew are nothing short of amazing

in other words - vertigo tour - success:D

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
is this tour a failure?
Why do you always start threads that are related to bashing U2? Why does it seem like you're always trying to pick a fight?

Can't you just enjoy it for what it is? It's a great tour that has made the band a massive amount of money, and has made lots of fans very happy.

a friend of mine who works in radio and has seen a boatload of different concerts was at MSG and said it was one of the best concerts he had ever seen. He's not much of a U2 fan either.

This tour is not a failure...

...its just the most criticized one, and i think alot of it has to do with our instant access to everything thats going on. Its like U2 is playing under a microscope at every turn....

A failure? No...

Average in terms of U2? Yes...

Better than everything else out there? Yes...

Did they set themselves up for the scrutiny with the presale and lottery? Yes...

Better than Elevation? No...

Fuck no.

Of course I've not even attended a show, not even attended another U2 show to compare when I finally do see a show, but the setlist, the stage, the whole concept is right up my alley.

It's not a failure. It does lack much of a direction or focus
and maybe some enthusiasm though.:|

edgeboy said:
It's not a failure. It does lack much of a direction or focus
and maybe some enthusiasm though.:|
ok but do you not class the edge, with all the rumours surronding his daugher, and him still coming out on tour, do you not class that as being enthusiastic enough?

or bono, with a reported really bad back, still getting up on stage and giving his all?

my opinion

Failure? NO WAY! They're U2 for gods sake! Saw Chicago 1. Hope to get lucky & see Pittsburgh in Oct. Got a ticket to Cleveland in Dec. Will be cool to see what changes they make.

Definitely not.

I saw Elevation twice, and to be honest, I really didn't care so much for it the second time around. This tour, however, I can't wait for them to come back in September, though, unfortunately, I didn't get tickets.

Hope to see them though...:drool:

Depends how you look at it...

Ticket and $$$-wise it's been a HUGE success.

Media-wise U2 are in that strange position where they can do no wrong. Almost like they are being built up only to be knocked down later. (Typical media game).

Fan-wise they seem to be getting tremendous reviews from 1st-timers and mixed reviews from Vets, which I find extremely interesting. I have never heard of so many tepid reviews of a U2 tour by people who have followed the band for years.

Overall I think the show is a big sucess but there are definitely a lot more people this time around who feel the show doesn't quite live up to past tours.

Failure?? No way, they are playing like men possessed especially Edge. They are also mixing up the set lists much more than on previous tours and playing a good amount of songs that were never main stream hits. The stage production is fantastic and everyone that I could see was enjoying themselves and happy they paid good money for the show.

yea...when you sell out every show you failed.

so its quite clear that u2 have failed on the vertigo tour in every aspect.

Back
Top Bottom