So how many DVDs are there going to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was near the front in Mexico City and watched how the cameras were used.

During MC 1, there were two cameras on long booms that stretched out halfway across the "ellipse" area in front of the main stage, hovering above the audience.

U2 played only a couple of songs out on the B stages, so most of the action occured on the main stage and was filmed by both of the boom cameras as they focused on the performance up front.

During MC 2, the same two cameras were there, but it looked like only one camera was in constant use. The guys spent a lot more time out on the B stages, but the cameras did not follow them out there.

If the B stage performances were filmed at all, they were done with the band members' backs against the cameras.

There might have been more cameras shooting the show from other parts of the huge stadium, but we never saw them.

Perhaps this indicates that the Mexico City shows were simply test-shoots for the upcoming Buenos Aires/Santiago/Sao Paulo broadcasts, and not intended for DVD release.

I hope I am wrong about that, but I'd be surprised to see another official Mexico City release within an 8 year span.

I have some photos showing the cameras in action, I'll upload them soon and post the link.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Since when? I totally disagree - that's one of the weaker ones to me. It screams that it's the first performance.

I think Miss Sarajevo hit its peak during the third leg when Bono's voice had some great depth to add to the power that was already there.

Maybe I've been unlucky with the versions I've heard, but of the versions I've heard, it was the best. Like I said, I can't say for sure, it was just a feeling I had.

Axver said:

Since when? I totally disagree - that's one of the weaker ones to me. It screams that it's the first performance.

I think Miss Sarajevo hit its peak during the third leg when Bono's voice had some great depth to add to the power that was already there.

I need zwervers2 to help me out now. :(

4U2Play said:
I was near the front in Mexico City and watched how the cameras were used.

During MC 1, there were two cameras on long booms that stretched out halfway across the "ellipse" area in front of the main stage, hovering above the audience.

U2 played only a couple of songs out on the B stages, so most of the action occured on the main stage and was filmed by both of the boom cameras as they focused on the performance up front.

During MC 2, the same two cameras were there, but it looked like only one camera was in constant use. The guys spent a lot more time out on the B stages, but the cameras did not follow them out there.

If the B stage performances were filmed at all, they were done with the band members' backs against the cameras.

There might have been more cameras shooting the show from other parts of the huge stadium, but we never saw them.

Perhaps this indicates that the Mexico City shows were simply test-shoots for the upcoming Buenos Aires/Santiago/Sao Paulo broadcasts, and not intended for DVD release.

I hope I am wrong about that, but I'd be surprised to see another official Mexico City release within an 8 year span.

I have some photos showing the cameras in action, I'll upload them soon and post the link.

Perhaps since the setlists were identical, they filmed one night with the band on stage and the audience, and then one of the b stage to cut to. They did that with Slane 1 & 2, switch / show different scenes during songs.

Re: Re: So how many DVDs are there going to be?

Axver said:

Milan was the only show shot by Hamish Hamilton's team.

Let's all hope and pray, then, that it's never, ever, ever released. I've already seen one on-screen abortion in the last few months courtesy of Mr. Hamilton--and I paid to see it, too! I'm not sure I can stomach another one of 'em.

Re: Re: Re: So how many DVDs are there going to be?

If you shout... said:

Let's all hope and pray, then, that it's never, ever, ever released. I've already seen one on-screen abortion in the last few months courtesy of Mr. Hamilton--and I paid to see it, too! I'm not sure I can stomach another one of 'em.

Hamish shot Boston and Slane during Elevation, but seems to have gone overboard on the Vertigo tour...

Re: Re: Re: So how many DVDs are there going to be?

If you shout... said:

Oh, cut it. You'd rather not have a DVD? Don't be ridiculous, you'd buy it if it came out, and you'd rip the MP3s just after. I love Hamish Hamilton and I want that DVD, every U2 fan does. Even if you don't like him, a U2 DVD is a U2 DVD. Don't give me that crap.

Edit: Sorry, it's not personal. I just don't think you'd rather not see it released.

I can confidentally say that Nervous Hamish Hamilton did NOT film either of the Mexico City shows.

Only two cameras were used, both cameras were placed on smooth-gliding booms, neither camera attempted to penetrate Bono's nostrils, and I believe the auto-focus was turned on.

Re: Re: Re: Re: So how many DVDs are there going to be?

God Part III said:

Oh, cut it. You'd rather not have a DVD? Don't be ridiculous, you'd buy it if it came out, and you'd rip the MP3s just after. I love Hamish Hamilton and I want that DVD, every U2 fan does. Even if you don't like him, a U2 DVD is a U2 DVD. Don't give me that crap.

Edit: Sorry, it's not personal. I just don't think you'd rather not see it released.

Thanks for the apology--I do appreciate it and I do appreciate not having to freak the fuck out and make it real uncomfortable in this mother.

But let me clarify: I'm just saying that I don't want anything shot by Hamilton to be released (ie, Milan if Ax's info. is correct--and it is, from what I understand). If another show is released in which he isn't involved, I'll at least give it a chance.

And, for the record, I'm well-aware that Hamilton directed both the Boston and Slane shows. That's why they're two of the three worst releases in the U2 "home-video" catalogue. Unwatchable? That's putting it politely.

DignityPassesBy said:
SLANE ... UNWATCHABLE ... please tell me your kidding its one of the best live dvds ever ... kite :drool:

I definitely think that "Kite" is a great song. I love it more than I love most anything.

But, yeah--I'm totally serious about that DVD being unwatchable. I'm trying to think of a useful analogy....

I guess it's like this: if you're really into cars, you probably wouldn't mind having a '69 Camaro, right? But if it's a complete wreck and can never be repaired or refurbished or what-have-you, would you still buy it in scrap-heap form? I sure as shit hope not. That's how I feel about this DVD/these DVDs and their tracklists. Oftentimes full of great songs, yeah, but always unwatchable and worthless in spite of what they should be.

So, yeah. I wouldn't mind further releases. I think the outdoor show deserves a DVD and that non-US audiences deserve to be represented. Just not by a fuckhead like Hamilton. Give me Alan Smithee any day. Ed Wood, even.

Fuck that.

Ed Wood's corpse can get his groove on, for all I care.

I think Slane showed more of the crowd than the band, due to the reaction and participation... but Milan may be like that too we don't know...

If You Shout...

It's your opinion. I like Boston, Slane AND Chicago.

As someone said. a U2 DVD is a U2 DVD. If you're really that bothered, please tell the lads or Paul McGuinness.

How friggin' cool is this?

U2 IN 3D, HOLD THE GOGGLES
February 20, 2006
posted by: m2

If you've been following along with Willie Williams' diary on U2.com, you've seen a half-dozen hints about film shoots, 3D, and other mysterious things that will apparently end when "we go in for the kill in Buenos Aires," as Willie put it.

Say what?

Apparently, U2 is doing the Buenos Aires concerts on March 1st and 2nd as a 3D HD (three-dimensional high definition) film shoot, with plans to produce an IMAX film. According to Definition Magazine http://www.definitionmagazine.com/html/news/120206-u2.htm , they're using gear provided by Pace Technologies http://www.pacetech.com/ , which has Titanic, The Abyss, and several other Hollywood blockbusters on its portfolio. Also involved in the production is 3ality http://www.3ality.com/ , a company which specializes in 3D viewing ... get this ... that doesn't require any special eyewear. Freakin' cool!

Word is that all of the shows so far on the 4th leg are testing grounds for the cameras/technology, and that the Buenos Aires shows will be shot with nine (9) 3DHD cameras & crews.

hi-def 3-D gigantic U2... :drool:
Finally, Bono's body will be big enough for his head...:wink:

Anyone else given a headache by the fact "film" and "video" is improperly used interchangably?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only concert FILM shoots were Vancouver2005 and all the R&H footage.

The rest have been video.

u2fp

you sure about that?

I know that my grsp of English is worse than most foreigners nowadays but surely 'film' is just the art of recording a visual picture through a film recording device (ie: camera). The fact that most of the equipment used by filmers these days no longer uses actual film is of little consequence.

The IMAX movies of the Rolling Stones and Genesis in the late 80's were done on FILM. The new IMAX project looks to be VIDEO.

Movies and many music videos are still done on FILM.

FILM is impractical for full length concerts because of the need to reloading the cameras with film canisters every 20 minutes or so.

u2fp

Well, after reading what u2.com said, I wouldn't be surprised if México's concerts get to be released on dvd.

i think theu2fly is the only person that would see The Electric Co being dropped from the setlist as a "pro"

the Imax thing sounds cool though

kach said:
Well, after reading what u2.com said, I wouldn't be surprised if México's concerts get to be released on dvd.

How come? There were only two cameras in Mexico. Not nearly enough.

Back
Top Bottom